Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manny Watkins is that guy!

Started by incHOGnito, November 19, 2014, 08:30:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

incHOGnito

Anybody who has followed the Hogs since the glory days knows exactly what I am talking about. Pure energy!

jjdlc

Someone had to step up when Kiko graduated.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

elksnort

elksnort

Hollywood_HOGan45

Reminds me of Clint McDaniel or Robert Sheppard.

EastMemphisHog

chiefhawg

This guy is a defensive stopper. Love his play.

Danny J

He and Williams look like different players. Game has slowed for them quite a bit. I also think playing against each other in practice is making these guys better. Nice to finally have a roster of more talented players to feed off each other.

Also...this team has swagger. I like it.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: cshivley1 on November 19, 2014, 10:11:42 pm
Mcdaniel. Fo sho

I love the way he plays and I agree reminds me a little of Clint. I loved Clint.

The_Iceman

Took zero shots, but had one of the biggest impacts on the game. Awesome!

jackflash

Lets let the kid play a few more games, before we start comparing to former Razorbacks greats

PonderinHog

Quote from: jackflash on November 19, 2014, 10:39:56 pm
Lets let the kid play a few more games, before we start comparing to former Razorbacks greats
like Leroy Sutton ???

Breems

Quote from: Danny J on November 19, 2014, 10:17:09 pm
Also...this team has swagger. I like it.

They certainly do so far, and it comes from defense.

This is one of the few teams you'll see in college basketball that gets more amped up from defensive plays than scoring (nightly SC Top 10 moments aside). Feels like a defensive back deflecting an endzone pass every time we force a turnover.

Take that into any gym and you stand a pretty good chance. It will falter some nights, but if it keeps up, we should be able to handle more opponents on the road.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Manny knows how to play in this system.  He understands the intensity it takes and what he is supposed to do.  The other newcomers seem to be getting it as well.  Not sure about some of the veterans. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2014, 10:30:55 pm
Took zero shots, but had one of the biggest impacts on the game. Awesome!

Couldn't ask for a better contributor off the bench.  He comes in and knows his role is to bring energy and get after it on the defensive end and gives 110%.  I've said this already twice tonight, but I love our second unit.  Can't wait for Babb to get up to speed with everything and contribute with those guys as well.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 19, 2014, 10:53:26 pm
Not sure about some of the veterans.

I agree.  And I'm not bashing here, I could be wrong, but it seems some of our starters think they are too cool for school, and just don't bring that intensity.  Our best players are definitely in the starting lineup, but CMA system isn't about looking cool, you gotta come in and be willing to do some "dirty work".

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on November 19, 2014, 10:55:56 pm
I agree.  And I'm not bashing here, I could be wrong, but it seems some of our starters think they are too cool for school, and just don't bring that intensity.  Our best players are definitely in the starting lineup, but CMA system isn't about looking cool, you gotta come in and be willing to do some "dirty work".

I'm not bashing either.  Something just seemed "off" in the half court with our starters.  Shot selection wasn't good early.  They would have won this game without the bench's huge contribution but the bench made this a blowout.  It was almost like watching two different teams in the same uniform.  Going to be interesting to see how games flow as we get into conference play. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 19, 2014, 11:03:02 pm
I'm not bashing either.  Something just seemed "off" in the half court with our starters.  Shot selection wasn't good early.  They would have won this game without the bench's huge contribution but the bench made this a blowout.  It was almost like watching two different teams in the same uniform.  Going to be interesting to see how games flow as we get into conference play.

I was saying this after the first game, but I think we need to move Durham to the starting lineup.  We got a lot of "ball stoppers" in our starting group.  Durham is by far the best distributor on the team, I think he could really light a spark as far as getting better shots in that first unit.  Have Madden come in and lead the second group, and let him and Beard just go to work on the offensive end.

FATHAWG08

Very impressed with Manny tonight. Wasn't expecting to see him pplay  much tonight, but he showed tonight why. I hope he continues to improve.
I love off season Football!!

Razor6

First game I've seen this season... I noticed this too!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

immahog

I love the way he got after it ....I love watching those kind of players WPS
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

pfrg999

Hes a Blake Eddins or Kikko type player with More upside...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 19, 2014, 08:30:47 pm
Anybody who has followed the Hogs since the glory days knows exactly what I am talking about. Pure energy!

This. Darrell Hawkins?
[CENSORED]!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 20, 2014, 07:34:07 am
This. Darrell Hawkins?

The hawk!! Loved his breakaway dunk vs UK in 1993 in the barn! The place exploded!!

Cresthog

Can he shoot? Give me Watkins defense with Bell's shooting and that players fills a serious role on this team.

I sure wish Anthlon could get a clue on defense.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Cresthog on November 20, 2014, 08:38:10 am
Can he shoot? Give me Watkins defense with Bell's shooting and that players fills a serious role on this team.

I sure wish Anthlon could get a clue on defense.

Ant looked better on defense last night. Didn't seem to get lost in the rotation of the zone. He's not a stopper, but he isn't giving away free looks at the basket anymore.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Tony Perkis

Cresthog

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2014, 09:19:55 am
Mardracus Wade

Sans the 1 or 2 times a game he thinks he's MJ and takes it to the rack with his white man's disease and the shot gets thrown into the stands.

The_Iceman

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on November 20, 2014, 08:48:04 am
Ant looked better on defense last night. Didn't seem to get lost in the rotation of the zone. He's not a stopper, but he isn't giving away free looks at the basket anymore.

Bell also played within the team structure very well. He was 1-3 from three, but didn't need to shoot any more than that. We will need him in upcoming games, just not last night.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Cresthog on November 20, 2014, 10:30:55 am
Sans the 1 or 2 times a game he thinks he's MJ and takes it to the rack with his white man's disease and the shot gets thrown into the stands.
Haha! The guy is one of my best friends and I agree.

Cresthog

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2014, 01:08:56 pm
Haha! The guy is one of my best friends and I agree.

We took shots with him at Mickey Finns one random weeknight with Ronnie B. He was super cool but he was def. plagued with white man's disease.

mhuff

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 19, 2014, 11:03:02 pm

The announcers were saying that MA would teach his players..... this is a bad shot..... this is a good shot...... Hope so

incHOGnito

PonderinHog

incHOGnito

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 21, 2014, 07:55:27 pm
Is that you, Blake?

No but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Danny J

Watkins and Williams improvement is really astounding. They have put in some work. All I know is at the 12 minute mark or so, before we went on the 19-4(?) run, the score I believe was 27-26, they came in the game, and it was all the sudden 37-26. I would seriously consider starting Williams in place of Harris. He has earned it.

incHOGnito

Quote from: Danny J on November 21, 2014, 11:21:29 pm
Watkins and Williams improvement is really astounding. They have put in some work. All I know is at the 12 minute mark or so, before we went on the 19-4(?) run, the score I believe was 27-26, they came in the game, and it was all the sudden 37-26. I would seriously consider starting Williams in place of Harris. He has earned it.

He has earned it but I wouldn't touch that second group. Watkins and Williams are so effective because they are in there together.