Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Call For Eight Has Begun, Already. Sweet.

Started by Hogfaniam, November 19, 2014, 05:25:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on November 19, 2014, 05:36:18 pm

I actually agree that 8 would be the ideal number.  Anymore is too much and I think 4 isn't enough.

Just my opinion though

Agree with above,  4 is not enough.  In most years, too many potential NC winners would not make the 4 team selection.... but could win it all if they were involved in an 8 team tournament.  Much more excitement, with 8 teams having a shot.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 21, 2014, 09:47:27 pm
Agree with above,  4 is not enough.  In most years, too many potential NC winners would not make the 4 team selection.... but could win it all if they were involved in an 8 team tournament.  Much more excitement, with 8 teams having a shot.

12 and you could include everybody
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 22, 2014, 05:04:26 am
8 will get all the undefeated and 1 loss teams in. If you're a 2 loss team you've got no gripe.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: FaytownHog on November 22, 2014, 09:01:47 pm
8 will get all the undefeated and 1 loss teams in. If you're a 2 loss team you've got no gripe.

I know.  I just hate to see the G5 guys mostly shut out. it concentrates the money higher and higher up the ladder. 

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 22, 2014, 09:04:54 pm
I know.  I just hate to see the G5 guys mostly shut out. it concentrates the money higher and higher up the ladder. 
If there's one like Boise a few years ago, don't you think they'd make it into the top 8 if they were undefeated? I think that's what makes 8 the right number.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 19, 2014, 11:45:23 pm
This would be the 'Spread the Cheddar' plan.  Every FBS Conference would get exposure and money.  This would help with parity and strengthening the G5 schools.

Here is the fill in based on rankings and standings today:

1 Alabama SEC Champ
8 Boise St. MWC Champ
9 Marshall CUSA Champ

4 Mississippi St. At Large
12 N. Illinois MAC Champ
5. TCU Big 12 Champ

2 Oregon Pac 12 Champ
10 Memphis AAC Champ
7.  Baylor. At Large

3 Florida St. ACC Champ
11 Georgia So Sun Belt Champ
6.  Ohio St. B1G Champ

This would be the "Top 8 CFB Committee" bracket.  If you are going to exclude the G5 for the most part,  then take the top 7 P5 and the top G5 team.  No point in having 12 for that.

1 Alabama
8 Boise St

5 TCU
4 Mississippi St

6 Ohio St
3 Florida St

7 Baylor
2 Oregon

arlhog

If you want the best team then 4 is probably enough.  How many teams get first place votes in the poles this time of year?  Usually 2 at the most but never more than 4.  So a 4 team playoff is probably sufficient.  If you had 8, or even 16 teams though,  the worst team has a chance of beating the best team.  All it takes is 1 team getting hot, or a key injury.  With 4 you probably keep it exclusive enough to give yourself a chance to get it right.  If you look at the basketball tournament you will get a champ every few years that really isn't one of the best teams.   But I predict the playoff will be a success, and anything that is a success gets bigger.   Will probably be 8 teams in a few years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 22, 2014, 05:04:26 am

why not 16...or 32.....or 64 or just include all teams fielding a team in college football. After all you want everybody...........

Hers's a thought.....No matter HOW many teams you have someone will have a complaint about being left out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2014, 10:54:27 pm
why not 16...or 32.....or 64 or just include all teams fielding a team in college football. After all you want everybody...........

Hers's a thought.....No matter HOW many teams you have someone will have a complaint about being left out.

Because you really don't need more than 12. 

1.  You get the top 4 we have now
2.  You get 2 at large, that many call for, to include teams with championship resumes
3.  You have conference champions that maintains the importance of the regular season
4.  It reduces the complaints about being left out nearly down to zero.
5.  It doesn't over burden the student athlete
6.  It rewards the top 4 with a bye
7.  It allows me, the fan, to watch more meaningful football
8.  It keeps the bowl system intact, which allows me, the fan, to watch more college football

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FaytownHog on November 22, 2014, 09:16:47 pm
If there's one like Boise a few years ago, don't you think they'd make it into the top 8 if they were undefeated? I think that's what makes 8 the right number.

Like this one, as an example.

BCS Standings - November 14, 2010

1   Oregon   .975
2   Auburn   .968
3   TCU       .896
4   Boise St  .863
5   LSU        .824
6   Stanford  .755
7   Wisconsin .725
8   Nebraska  .720
9   Ohio St    .667
10  Okla St    .660
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 26, 2014, 06:38:35 am
Because you really don't need more than 12. 

1.  You get the top 4 we have now
2.  You get 2 at large, that many call for, to include teams with championship resumes
3.  You have conference champions that maintains the importance of the regular season
4.  It reduces the complaints about being left out nearly down to zero.
5.  It doesn't over burden the student athlete
6.  It rewards the top 4 with a bye
7.  It allows me, the fan, to watch more meaningful football
8.  It keeps the bowl system intact, which allows me, the fan, to watch more college football

And in the basketball tourney you really don't need more than 12 either.
You said everybody. Now I get it. You are the only expert on how many should be in.......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 26, 2014, 07:36:27 am
You said everybody. Now I get it. You are the only expert on how many should be in.......................................
It's about time you realized the error of your ways.

Hogfaniam

November 26, 2014, 08:26:49 am #162 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:42:54 pm by Hogfaniam
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 26, 2014, 07:36:27 am

48 is plenty for basketball.  32 conf champs plus 16 at large.  But 68 is much more fun.

'Everybody' meant all of FBS not just p5.  Not every team in.  Every conference champ in. (I know the sun belt champ doesn't have a chance in hell right now)

I'm just one of the experts... 8)