Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ted Kapita Names Final 5

Started by chiefhawg, November 19, 2014, 04:01:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefhawg

The_Iceman

Definitely not bad news. Let's hope we can land him!

poloprince

I like our chances since Florida and Memphis are out of the picture for now.
$PoLoPrInCe$

whosiskid

I really want this guy. He is so freakishly athletic.  He makes doing a two handed reverse slam dunk look effortless. He might be more athletic than  any big man we've ever had on the team. A little more polish and he could excel anywhere.  And with his speed we have the perfect system to showcase his skills. He and Whitt would both be a perfect for us.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jackflash

If we miss on Kapita? Who next in line?

-Blu

Quote from: jackflash on November 19, 2014, 05:01:13 pm
If we miss on Kapita? Who next in line?

One guy they've been in to watch a couple of times, but no offer as of yet is John Carlos Reyes.  But, my bet is if we miss out on Kapita, a name we never even heard of will pop up, the same way Kapita's did as soon as we missed on Dime.

hogville38

Our we in the lead for Jalin Barnett? Isn't Oklahoma the team with the edge?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: hogville38 on November 19, 2014, 06:57:41 pm

Lol. What?

jjdlc

Some things have happened recently that has some of the recruiting analysts believing Arkansas now leads for his services.

WooPig90

Wrong thread?

Hogimus Prime

I was really hoping Kapita would commit after his visit.  He is made for MA's system.  Looks like he could be the point man on the press but also be the back line defender.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 20, 2014, 09:33:56 am
I was really hoping Kapita would commit after his visit.  He is made for MA's system.  Looks like he could be the point man on the press but also be the back line defender.

I like that when we bring him in, he will get a chance to learn and develop his first year. Won't be thrown into the fire day one and be expected to carry the load, much like the freshmen this year.

I hope we get him!

SemperFi

According to the article the OP linked we're in the lead for him. Hope that it holds true, because I think that he is a perfect fit for Coach Anderson's system.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Swinesong1

Quote from: SemperFi on November 20, 2014, 10:18:46 am
According to the article the OP linked we're in the lead for him. Hope that it holds true, because I think that he is a perfect fit for Coach Anderson's system.
In the lead according to the scout's crystal ball.  Which is just a guess.  Not based on what Kapita has said. Nevertheless, I  hope he's right.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2014, 09:41:06 am
I like that when we bring him in, he will get a chance to learn and develop his first year. Won't be thrown into the fire day one and be expected to carry the load, much like the freshmen this year.

I hope we get him!

Ice, looks to me like he is going to be ready to come in as a freshman and take scalps.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on November 20, 2014, 06:17:12 pm
Ice, looks to me like he is going to be ready to come in as a freshman and take scalps.

I'm not sure about that mhuff, I think his first year, If we lose Portis, he'd battle Thompson for the backup spot behind Kingsley.  If he won that spot, which he should, being a top 35 recruit,  It would be a similar situation to Kingsley's freshman year, He'd played 10-15 minutes per game behind Kingsley, then those minutes would increase every year.  I think our days of seeing freshman starters outside a MAA caliber player are over.  CMA finally has his roster in place and has it setup for the upperclassmen to be the primary contributors, with the freshman able to fill in and play a role off the bench, as they learn the system.

mhuff

Blu, I realize that MA does not like playing freshman a lot. Certainly Thompson needs the work because Portis is more than likely gone after this year. I do not expect the position to be given to Kapita..... he will have to earn it.... But, I think he is athletic enough on offense and defense to be a force..... MA would have been run out of town on a rail if Portis had not started as a freshman...... But you can not recruit 4* players to come to Arkansas and sit the bench. If I am a good player , is there an incentive to come play for a coach when I have the talent to be on the floor...... and he is not playing me....... I don't think this is a good recruiting tool. Freshmen all across the U.S. are starters on college teams. You may not have some of them long, you had better play them.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on November 20, 2014, 09:47:19 pm
MA would have been run out of town on a rail if Portis had not started as a freshman...... But you can not recruit 4* players to come to Arkansas and sit the bench. If I am a good player , is there an incentive to come play for a coach when I have the talent to be on the floor...... and he is not playing me....... I don't think this is a good recruiting tool. Freshmen all across the U.S. are starters on college teams. You may not have some of them long, you had better play them.

You do know CMA does things his way and doesn't really care what other schools and/or people think right?  If you've followed his time as a head coach he rarely starts freshmen, reason for that is because to play our style of basketball and play it at a high level it usually takes a couple of years in the system.  If your looking at Bobby Portis for an example, your looking in the wrong place, Bobby Portis is the exception to most rules, he's a McDonald's All-American and future lottery pick, what he accomplishes most aren't going to do.  So, you can't really say another freshman will do it just because Portis did and you can't compare what other schools do, because the system we run isn't like what most schools run.

And I don't know how much scouting reports and/or research you've done on Kapita, but from the sounds of it, your going to be a little disappointed in his first year if he does come here.  Don't get me wrong he's a good player and deserves his ranking, but he's no Bobby Portis.  In our system he's going to play the 5, and he's going to be a bit undersize there with him only being 6"8.5. The reason for his high ranking is because of his athleticism, ability to room the floor, his ability to rebound, and his high motor at least from the reports I've read.  Your thinking Bobby Portis when you think about him, Moses Kingsley would be a better example, elite athlete and fits well in our system, may take a year or 2 for the offensive game to translate to college.  I will say this though Kapita offensive game at this stage is much better than Kingsley's was.  He should adjust well and be a force by the time he leaves campus just probably not his freshman year.

mizzouman

Kapita has set up an official to Mizzou.

RazorPiggie

Kapita is better than Thompson. He'd play over him.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 12, 2014, 08:48:10 am
Kapita is better than Thompson. He'd play over him.

I think Thompson is more developed in terms of passing and knowledge of the game, while Kapita is more developed physically. Both are pretty raw at this stage.

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 12, 2014, 09:04:04 am
I think Thompson is more developed in terms of passing and knowledge of the game, while Kapita is more developed physically. Both are pretty raw at this stage.
I said Kapita was raw a while back and got hammered.  Anyway, he is raw, we'll see where he wants to go and how he will develop.

The Hogfather

Quote from: mizzouman on December 12, 2014, 07:55:26 am
Kapita has set up an official to Mizzou.

Life ain't easy for a boy named Kim.

LA Football fan

Doing things MA's way is a problem if you want the top basketball players in the country.  It could be the main reason MA has trouble bringing in high level recruits unless they are from the home state.  There comes a point in time where you have to ask yourself is my system more important than the players??  I like his system so don't lump me into the get another coach and another style group.  I just think he has to show more willingness to play freshman in this day and time.  With so much media coverage than it used to be, players want playing time or they will go to a school where they can get it.  Kentucky has really hurt college basketball with the one and done philosophy they are using.  It only leads to more players thinking they can do the same thing at other colleges.   There are very few good basketball players that have the mindset they will redshirt or play very little to learn a system from top to bottom.

Quote from: -Blu on November 20, 2014, 11:39:01 pm
You do know CMA does things his way and doesn't really care what other schools and/or people think right?  If you've followed his time as a head coach he rarely starts freshmen, reason for that is because to play our style of basketball and play it at a high level it usually takes a couple of years in the system.  If your looking at Bobby Portis for an example, your looking in the wrong place, Bobby Portis is the exception to most rules, he's a McDonald's All-American and future lottery pick, what he accomplishes most aren't going to do.  So, you can't really say another freshman will do it just because Portis did and you can't compare what other schools do, because the system we run isn't like what most schools run.

And I don't know how much scouting reports and/or research you've done on Kapita, but from the sounds of it, your going to be a little disappointed in his first year if he does come here.  Don't get me wrong he's a good player and deserves his ranking, but he's no Bobby Portis.  In our system he's going to play the 5, and he's going to be a bit undersize there with him only being 6"8.5. The reason for his high ranking is because of his athleticism, ability to room the floor, his ability to rebound, and his high motor at least from the reports I've read.  Your thinking Bobby Portis when you think about him, Moses Kingsley would be a better example, elite athlete and fits well in our system, may take a year or 2 for the offensive game to translate to college.  I will say this though Kapita offensive game at this stage is much better than Kingsley's was.  He should adjust well and be a force by the time he leaves campus just probably not his freshman year.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: -Blu on November 20, 2014, 09:23:22 pm
I'm not sure about that mhuff, I think his first year, If we lose Portis, he'd battle Thompson for the backup spot behind Kingsley.  If he won that spot, which he should, being a top 35 recruit,  It would be a similar situation to Kingsley's freshman year, He'd played 10-15 minutes per game behind Kingsley, then those minutes would increase every year.  I think our days of seeing freshman starters outside a MAA caliber player are over.  CMA finally has his roster in place and has it setup for the upperclassmen to be the primary contributors, with the freshman able to fill in and play a role off the bench, as they learn the system.

I don't think the upper classmen part is true.  Nolan said more than once if the younger players are just as good as the juniors and seniors he would play the younger players.  Whitt, Monk, Kapita those types of players won't sit just because they are freshmen.  This isn't the 70's and 80's high school players get tons of experience prior to going to college.  Many of the top players are more than good enough to start their freshmen year.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net