Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC to block Texas vs Texas A&M Bowl Game

Started by demonHOG1013, November 19, 2014, 12:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

They are trying to block the invite, once the invite goes out then ATM woudl have to decline it and we would all know why they declined it, which would look bad on ATM.

LRHawg

Quality source there ... a writer at hornsdigest.com::hornsdown::

I also saw fox sports (vested interest in little 12) running with it too.

ricepig

@Dave_Matter:Womack on possible Texas-Texas A&M bowl game: Way too early to talk about particular matchups.

@Dave_Matter @SEC_Chuck Exactly what I've been saying. 2 games left for many teams. Chip Brown is a liar.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 19, 2014, 01:00:40 pm
They are trying to block the invite, once the invite goes out then ATM woudl have to decline it and we would all know why they declined it, which would look bad on ATM.

I disagree................IF I were Tamu I'd tell the shorthorns to stick it up their bovine rear. TAMU wanted to continue the series and the shorthorns got their wittle feelings hurt and said nope...............SO IF I'm Tamu I'd decline to play them in a bowl UNLESS they agreed to play in the regular season as well. What goes around comes around!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LRHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 19, 2014, 01:05:36 pm
I disagree................IF I were Tamu I'd tell the shorthorns to stick it up their bovine rear. TAMU wanted to continue the series and the shorthorns got their wittle feelings hurt and said nope...............SO IF I'm Tamu I'd decline to play them in a bowl UNLESS they agreed to play in the regular season as well.

Shirt horns still owe us a trip up to Fayetteville, too. Doubt they come calling about that any time soon.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: LRHawg on November 19, 2014, 01:07:54 pm
Shirt horns still owe us a trip up to Fayetteville, too. Doubt they come calling about that any time soon.

This game is already scheduled

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 19, 2014, 01:05:36 pm
I disagree................IF I were Tamu I'd tell the shorthorns to stick it up their bovine rear. TAMU wanted to continue the series and the shorthorns got their wittle feelings hurt and said nope...............SO IF I'm Tamu I'd decline to play them in a bowl UNLESS they agreed to play in the regular season as well. What goes around comes around!
add the word B tches to the end of this^^^ and its 100% correct
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BRHogfan

This is their 1st verse of their fight song, I don't see anything about Texas... what are these guys talking about?

All hail to dear old Texas A&M
Rally around Maroon and White
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
That good old Aggie spirit thrills us
And makes us yell and yell and yell
So let's fight for dear old Texas A&M
We're going to beat you all to
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!

Dwight_K_Shrute

The conference/conference office play a much bigger role in allocating the teams to the bowls.  The bowl will not issue an invite that then needs to be declined.

"The new procedure gives the SEC office additional power in determining which teams play in which bowl games. Formerly, conference-affiliated bowl games chose the SEC team they wanted to travel to their respective cities. Under the new process, the SEC office, after consulting with the schools and bowl officials, will "assign" teams to bowl games."

Note the SEC office assigns the team to a bowl after consulting with the school and the bowl.

So it's not the conference blocking it.  It's A&M saying "you know we would rather not play Texas".

The article does a good job of explaining the new process

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1705494&PT=4&PR=2 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Atlhogfan1

Chip Brown might as well be on the Horns payroll and may be unofficially. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

demonHOG1013

Quote from: BRHogfan on November 19, 2014, 01:21:40 pm
This is their 1st verse of their fight song, I don't see anything about Texas... what are these guys talking about?

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

Here's the first few lines of Texas' fight song

Texas Fight, Texas Fight,
And it's goodbye to A&M.
And we'll put over one more win.
For it's Texas that we love best.
Hail, Hail, The gang's all here,
And it's good-bye to all the rest!

woopigsooie1222

The South Will Rise Again!

Andrew Fabacher

This is the "Aggies War Hymn" I grew up hearing:

Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Good bye to Texas University
So long to the orange and the white
'the eyes of Texas are upon you'
That is the song they sing so well
Sounds like Hell!
So goodbye to Texas University
We're gonna beat you all to Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem
Rough, Tough, real stuff Texas A&M
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Short! A!
Varsity's horns are sawed off
Short! A!

Professor Psychosis

Texas and Texas A&M should play each other annually.  So should Kansas/Missouri, Pitt/West Virginia, Nebraska/Oklahoma, and several other rivalry games that have been lost thanks to all this superconference realignment stuff.

Everybody needs to get over it and start playing again.  It's better for college football and it's better for the fans.

Hogwild

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 19, 2014, 01:00:40 pm

Not under the new system, the conference(SEC) not the bowls extend the invite.

LRHawg

hogsanity

Quote from: woopigsooie1222 on November 19, 2014, 01:42:28 pm
Seriously? When?

something like 2020 or 2021 I think. Hogs finish up the TT series in 2015, then play TCu in 16 & 17, then Michigan in 18 & 19, so it might be 2020.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2014, 02:01:37 pm
something like 2020 or 2021 I think. Hogs finish up the TT series in 2015, then play TCu in 16 & 17, then Michigan in 18 & 19, so it might be 2020.

Wow, that TCU series will be fun. By then, Bielema will have this program established. With our luck, Michigan will have Harbaugh and be a Top 10 program by 2018.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 19, 2014, 12:56:25 pm
Anybody see this?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/19/sec-would-block-texas-vs-texas-am-bowl-game-per-report/

First of all, the report is from the Chipster, a diehard Longhorn shill.

Secondly, this could work to Arkansas' advantage if the Hogs become bowl eligible.  No matchup with A&M makes a matchup with Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl more likely.  Suddenly a minor bowl with a couple of teams with 6 or 7 wins becomes a major storyline. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 19, 2014, 02:34:34 pm
First of all, the report is from the Chipster, a diehard Longhorn shill.

Secondly, this could work to Arkansas' advantage if the Hogs become bowl eligible.  No matchup with A&M makes a matchup with Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl more likely.  Suddenly a minor bowl with a couple of teams with 6 or 7 wins becomes a major storyline. 

That's what I'm pulling for, as soon as we garner victory #6, Saturday.   8)

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on November 19, 2014, 02:42:47 pm
That's what I'm pulling for, as soon as we garner victory #6, Saturday.   8)

Nah, gotta wait for Mizzou.  :P
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

LRHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2014, 02:01:37 pm

They can back out of that just as easily as they backed out of the original return-leg of the series. They'll wait and see if they're up/down and just like last time they'll bail if they're down.

Dropkick

Inhogswetrust

November 19, 2014, 03:51:49 pm #24 Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:18:48 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Professor Psychosis on November 19, 2014, 01:54:11 pm
Texas and Texas A&M should play each other annually.  So should Kansas/Missouri, Pitt/West Virginia, Nebraska/Oklahoma, and several other rivalry games that have been lost thanks to all this superconference realignment stuff.

Everybody needs to get over it and start playing again.  It's better for college football and it's better for the fans.

As mentioned in a different thread it really depends on how old of a fan you are as to what is or isn't "better" for the fans as far as a "rival" is concerned.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Texas and Texas A&M can play each other or start rivalry games with Niagara and Mobley Tech for I care. Glad Texas is not in the SEC and I wish the Aggies weren't.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 19, 2014, 04:43:54 pm
Texas and Texas A&M can play each other or start rivalry games with Niagara and Mobley Tech for I care. Glad Texas is not in the SEC and I wish the Aggies weren't.
I concur.

texas tush hog

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 19, 2014, 01:12:02 pm

Been scheduled three times, but keeps getting delayed.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: LRHawg on November 19, 2014, 01:07:54 pm

Texas is all but a lock for the Texas Bowl in Houston and WVU for the Liberty Bowl,  Assuming the SEC gets six slots between the NYD 6 bowls plus CapOne & Outback then the SEC will have A&M LSU and potentially Arkansas available to face WVU & UT teams..

A&M likely has veto'd playing Texas to the SEC office for obvious reasons and that's why Chip is chirping up at the request of the Austin power structure.  Its a waste of time.

LSU has already played in Houston but probably prefers going back to warm Houston to play UT leaving A&M to get the Gator or Music City and Arkansas facing UWV in the Liberty.

I can't see LSU wanting to go to Memphis but if they do Arkansas could get sent to face Texas.

TheRazorbackGuy

MikeIrwin, I agree, nothing but venom for these teams. I don't like either one of them.

Hog1952

I never wanted them in the SEC and never believed it was good for us.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 19, 2014, 12:56:25 pm
Anybody see this?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/19/sec-would-block-texas-vs-texas-am-bowl-game-per-report/

I disagree with their stance. Let them play, everyone has to earn what they get. If A&M isn't up to the task of beating Texas (if the match up even occurs) then let them suffer the consequences. You can't protect certain teams in your conference and if you do, that is just wrong. Despite the fact that we all know it has occurred in the SEC in the past through scheduling.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

I don't know if A&M would move it back, but it's funny that Chip is blaming it on them, when Texas ended their Thanksgiving game.  Would Texas be willing to play A&M?  I'm skeptical, but then I'm not sure they have anything to lose now.

Seriously, this is funny stuff guys.

Quote from: woopigsooie1222 on November 19, 2014, 01:42:28 pm
Seriously? When?

Believe it or not, it's scheduled for 9-11-2021, if the world doesn't end that day, first.  And for the record, we're also responsible for it being moved back once.

bythelake

I agree with Irwin.  Hate a&m.  Weird bunch,  male cheer leaders.  Damn.

KennyForAD

Quote from: BRHogfan on November 19, 2014, 01:21:40 pm

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

Somewhere in there, it goes something like this..

... So long to Texas University
Goodbye to the Orange and the White
.... .... I went to Texas A&M
Fight fight fight.

hoghiker

Let TAMU and Texas duke it out. Me no care.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: LRHawg on November 19, 2014, 02:55:55 pm
They can back out of that just as easily as they backed out of the original return-leg of the series. They'll wait and see if they're up/down and just like last time they'll bail if they're down.

Arkansas is actually the ones who delayed the series

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hoghiker on November 20, 2014, 06:07:07 am
Let TAMU and Texas duke it out. Me no care.

The part that makes college football great is all the stuff that goes on beyond the game itself.  There is a lot of stuff there.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bythelake on November 19, 2014, 07:51:40 pm
I agree with Irwin.  Hate a&m.  Weird bunch,  male cheer leaders.  Damn.

Most schools have some male cheerleaders............then there is TAMU with ONLY male cheerleaders.........And some people don't understand why they are called a cult sometimes..............

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 20, 2014, 06:51:51 am
Arkansas is actually the ones who delayed the series

IIRC not every delay was our fault. It doesn't bother me one way or the other they can go to hades for all I care!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 19, 2014, 01:12:02 pm
And it was Arkansas's decision to postpone as I recall.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 20, 2014, 09:33:28 am
IIRC not every delay was our fault. It doesn't bother me one way or the other they can go to hades for all I care!

No, but the latest one was. 

Inhogswetrust

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  19 hours ago

ICYMI (In Case Y'all Missed It) I visited with A&M AD Eric Hyman on Aggies' bowl possibilities vs.Texas Longhorns: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/11/aggies-ad-on-texas-conjecture-its-out-of-our-control-where-aggies-play-in-bowl ...

QuoteA&M has an answer to some speculation from outsiders that the Aggies are perhaps "ducking" an opportunity to play one-time rival Texas in the Advocare V100 Texas Bowl: No, they're not.

Allow A&M athletic director Eric Hyman, whom I visited with at the A&M women's basketball game on Wednesday night, to explain.

"Quite frankly, that's a decision made by the conference," said Hyman, who was taking in No. 5 A&M's 76-55 whipping of Rice in Reed Arena. "The configuration is so different than it's been in the past. They ask us to rank the bowls, and they ask the bowls to rank us. The (SEC) then ranks all the different teams from that, and that's how the selection will be made.

"It doesn't matter if I speculate about playing this team or that team in a bowl. It's out of our control. ... Wherever they tee us up, we'll play."

Hyman, who owns a reputation as a straight shooter, said the notion the Aggies are trying to get out of playing the Longhorns, for whatever reason or reasons, is absolutely unfounded.

"It goes back to what the league does, and how the bowl selection has changed dramatically from the past," Hyman said. "You don't really have a lot of say, the conference office picks who they want. And they try to match them up."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net