Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving Menu

Started by Rooka, November 19, 2014, 10:24:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooka

A little early I know, but what's everyone cooking up for the Holiday?

I am thinking I may smoke a Brisket, make some homemade loaded mash potatoes, baked beans with smoked sausage, deviled eggs, and maybe some bacon wrapped green beans. Haven't decided on the turkey, yet.

What will y'all be cooking up?

PorkRinds

Thanksgiving is at my house for the first time ever this year. I'm smoking a turkey and making dressing, broccoli and rice casserole, and grean bean casserole.  The wife is making a pumpkin cheesecake (her specialty).  Not sure what, but everyone else will bring a side dish or two as well.  My mother in law makes a really good sweet potato casserole, so I'm betting she brings that and her home made cranberry sauce. 

Rooka

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 19, 2014, 10:45:37 am
Thanksgiving is at my house for the first time ever this year. I'm smoking a turkey and making dressing, broccoli and rice casserole, and grean bean casserole.  The wife is making a pumpkin cheesecake (her specialty).  Not sure what, but everyone else will bring a side dish or two as well.  My mother in law makes a really good sweet potato casserole, so I'm betting she brings that and her home made cranberry sauce. 
Forgot the dressing! Of course that is always a staple. Pumpkin cheesecake sounds awesome.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Rooka on November 19, 2014, 12:21:45 pm
Forgot the dressing! Of course that is always a staple. Pumpkin cheesecake sounds awesome.

It's fantastic. My wife has a great recipe too.  I learned my dressing technique from melding both my grandmother's recipes together.  I get compliments every year.

Boarcephus

we're headed south to Kilgore, TX for Thanksgiving this year to see grandkids so I have no idea what's on the menu.  I think my contribution will consist of the biggest bone-in ham I can find and take it down there.

Christmas on the other hand is at my house so we'll see what we can come up with
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Mom and Dad got  Turkey Breast , Smoke Ham, Chicken and Dressing, Soup, Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry sauce , Gravy , Hot Rolls, Butter along with 2 gallons of Sweet Tea and a Pecan and Chocolate pies ! 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogCard

Mirror image of what we usually do right down to the wife's awesome dessert recipe.  Do I know you?

HogScoutMaster

I'm smoking a turkey

You know what I LIKE this idea.  I have never done that! 

Tips please.  I know how to smoke but is there any other difference?
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on November 21, 2014, 04:38:42 pm
You know what I LIKE this idea.  I have never done that! 

Tips please.  I know how to smoke but is there any other difference?

I always  inject with butter and cajun seasoning. Put pats of butter under the skin. Coat the outside in olive oil, salt and pepper. My biggest suggestion is to give yourself plenty of time ahead of time to get the bird done. Nothing worse than waiting on a turkey when the table is set. I use a combo of hickory and cherry. I smoke mine at 250 until it's reading 175 in the thigh. Sometimes I'll crank the heat up to 300-325 for the last little bit if i haven't gotten the crispy skin I like. After its done tightly wrap in foil in a roasting pan until  your serve. Some folks brine the turkey but I usually don't. Plan on 45 mins per pound at least.  You may not take that long, but you won't be left waiting.

dhornjr1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 19, 2014, 03:20:41 pm
Mom and Dad got  Turkey Breast , Smoke Ham, Chicken and Dressing, Soup, Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry sauce , Gravy , Hot Rolls, Butter along with 2 gallons of Sweet Tea and a Pecan and Chocolate pies ! 

What kind of soup?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on November 23, 2014, 06:28:24 pm
What kind of soup?

For the past 50 years the ladies in the family have taken the last of the vegetables before frost and made what they call Soup starter. It is tomato based with potatoes and various variety of  beans and corn. They can it by the quart and all you do is open heat and serve. We served it with Chicken and dressing since the early 1970's 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jacobp

November 24, 2014, 09:56:05 am #11 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:18:19 am by jacobp
175 in the thigh is too much.
Pull it off when the deepest part of the thigh hits 160 and let it rest.

Turkey is done at 165. cooking to 175 will dry out all the white meat.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 21, 2014, 09:07:04 pm
My biggest suggestion is to give yourself plenty of time ahead of time to get the bird done. Nothing worse than waiting on a turkey when the table is set.

I was going to smoke it while I slept, then take it out when I awoke. 
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on November 24, 2014, 10:03:03 am
I was going to smoke it while I slept, then take it out when I awoke.

Not a bad idea.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jacobp on November 24, 2014, 09:56:05 am
175 in the thigh is too much.
Pull it off when the deepest part of the thigh hits 160 and let it rest.

Turkey is done at 165. cooking to 175 will dry out all the white meat.

Fair enough.  I usually go higher, because I've had thigh meat still have pink juice (blood) running at 165.  I usually take it off at 170 or so and let it rest, and it rises to 175

dhornjr1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 24, 2014, 07:41:31 am
For the past 50 years the ladies in the family have taken the last of the vegetables before frost and made what they call Soup starter. It is tomato based with potatoes and various variety of  beans and corn. They can it by the quart and all you do is open heat and serve. We served it with Chicken and dressing since the early 1970's 

Sounds like a good winter soup.

HawgWild

TURKEY
                  TURKEYTURKEY
                TURKEYTURKEYTURK
                 TURKEYTURKEYTURKEY
                  TURKEYTURKEYTURKY
       URK         TURKEYTURKEYTURK
     <TURKEY        TURKEYTURKEYTUR
      T RKEY       TURKEYTURKEYTURK
      T  KEY      TURKEYTURKEYTURKE
        RKEY     YTURKEYTURKEYTURKEY
        RKEY  RKEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEY
        RKEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEY
         KEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEYTUREKY
         KEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKE
          KEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEYTURK
           KEYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEYTU
            EYTURKEYTURKEYTURKEYT
             EYTURKEYTURKEYTURKE
              YTURKEYTURKEYTURKEY
               YTURKEYTURKEYTURKEY
                YTURKEYTURKEY
                    KY YTUR
                     T  Y
                   rYK  T
                      ryK
                       Y

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

old hog

Roasted turkey, smoked ham, with the usual sides. And some fantastic yeast rolls from mother-in-law, along with her coconut cream pie and pecan pie. And the cooking has started already. House full of some wonderful smells.

SteveInArk

All the normal stuff ... and the dressing split between "with oysters (ME)" and "no oysters (WIFE)" .... sly trick of mine, because I like the dressing either way!

;)

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 19, 2014, 03:20:41 pm

Good Lard it was Good.

Tim Harris

Last Thanksgiving for me this year and the only one at my house. Turkey went on the smoker early this morning, dressing and mashed potatoes will be going a little later.

DeltaBoy

November 30, 2014, 08:36:21 pm #21 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:23:02 pm by DeltaBoy
Quote from: Imminent Rueage on November 24, 2014, 02:52:47 pm
Sounds like a good winter soup.

It is and we add noodles to it and serve it with Cornbread.

Rooka

Mom made a white chocolate 3 layer pumpkin pie....I'm still recovering...

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 30, 2014, 08:36:21 pm
It is and we add noodles to it and sever it with Cornbread.

That must be some sharp cornbread!  ;)

DeltaBoy