Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rubber hits road tonight

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 19, 2014, 07:32:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Time for Arkansas to make its move. Kentucky set the bar high. Florida showed it is vulnerable. The Razorbacks have a chance to ascend.

Wake Forest is not a strong opponent, but it is an ACC opponent and will end up with great schedule strength.

This needs to be a 75-80 possession game, high tempo. Arkansas needs to reach at least 1.15 points per possession and allow no more than 0.90. Talking something like scoring 86-92, giving up 68-72.

Wake Forest scored 80 on NC-Asheville -- in a high-tempo game fast enough to go for 100 -- and 71 at Tulane. The Deacs struggle to score. Their defense involves liberal fouling. Their ballhandling has been terrible.

If the Razorbacks score around 90 and win by around 20, it will be a good sign of things to come. Anything less, and it will probably uncover a weakness that could keep the Hogs a notch below top shelf.

Wake Forest is in a state of transition far more difficult to manage than Arkansas's in at this stage. Time to show what we got.
[CENSORED]!

TRUHOG718

http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Uncle SI

Agree. Arkansas needs to control the game from beginning to end. If so, I see an easy Hog win. 82-68

Go  :razorback:
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

TRUHOG718

Once those top 25 votes start appearing next to your name you become the hunted. We need to embrace that and punch inferior teams in the mouth from the tip.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

The_Iceman

I'll be there tonight. Standing and cheering as loud as I can. I need 19,000 more fans to join me.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2014, 09:13:40 am
I'll be there tonight. Standing and cheering as loud as I can. I need 19,000 more fans to join me.

Would love to be there but not totally sure I can make it.
8pm games for out of towners are brutal when you have to be at work the next am.

Polecat

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2014, 07:32:55 am
Time for Arkansas to make its move. Kentucky set the bar high. Florida showed it is vulnerable. The Razorbacks have a chance to ascend.

Excellent point. Go Hogs!
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

opineonswine

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: twocoach on November 19, 2014, 10:09:16 am
Should be an easy Arkansas win. Watched WF a few times last year and they aren't much.

Arkansas 83
Wake Forrest 66

Danny will perform miracles there in due time.

Great young basketball coach.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: opineonswine on November 19, 2014, 10:08:34 am
Fans need to show up as well.

Im willing to bet there will be more people there on 11-21 vs delaware state on a friday night before the big football game.

phadedhawg

Would be nice to have a good crowd.

Hope we take control of this contest early.

WorfHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2014, 09:13:40 am

Me too!

jry04

Randy Johnson

this is so weird but that same phrase came to mind this morning

think it is from an old tire commercial

Biggus Piggus

Thesis proven. Hogs scored 1.17 points per possession, allowed a measly 0.75. NOW THAT'S DEFENSE.

Wake Forest missed 17 3-point attempts, 23 inside the arc, and turned it over 20 times. They offset the 40 missed field goal attempts with 16 offensive rebounds, but you're still talking about them scoring on not much more than one-third of their possessions. Holy moley.

The guy we have been waiting for = Manny Watkins. He is the defensive demon.

And did the player rotations work last night, or what?

This team is better on defense than MA's first three, but it also has much better finishing ability. That will make the Razorbacks dangerous.

Flurries of forced turnovers, making 54% inside the arc and 47% outside -- it was a joy to watch.

And offensive rebounding was more than adequate. Defensive boards, you get what you get in this system.
[CENSORED]!

Razorod

Biggus, you're right. Primary things to look for relate to how well we do what this system demands. Like the looks of all the newcomers. In a way, they "fit" the system better than some of the veterans.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Biggus Piggus

Wake Forest so happened to be weak in some of Arkansas's strong areas. They lacked shooting and ballhandling, relied heavily on halfcourt defense and rebounding. The Hogs did well though. Shot well, defended well, even got some offensive boards.

One thing that was clear - if MA does not like the performance of the starters, he has many other options.
[CENSORED]!

RunHogruN

The "reinforcement"(per Calapari) put in by MA actually did a great job on defense when they came in initially.  Kingsley and Williams provided the scoring and Beard was contributing behind the arc.  On the same note Watkins provided the turnovers that I believe helped the hogs separate in the first half.

It is also comforting to know that even with Portis having a so-so game that others can pick up the slack on offense.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 20, 2014, 07:03:20 am
Wake Forest so happened to be weak in some of Arkansas's strong areas. They lacked shooting and ballhandling, relied heavily on halfcourt defense and rebounding. The Hogs did well though. Shot well, defended well, even got some offensive boards.

One thing that was clear - if MA does not like the performance of the starters, he has many other options.

This is really the first year we've seen an improvement in overall player development.

Moses and JaCorey looked like different players out there.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 20, 2014, 06:43:30 am
Thesis proven. Hogs scored 1.17 points per possession, allowed a measly 0.75. NOW THAT'S DEFENSE.

Wake Forest missed 17 3-point attempts, 23 inside the arc, and turned it over 20 times. They offset the 40 missed field goal attempts with 16 offensive rebounds, but you're still talking about them scoring on not much more than one-third of their possessions. Holy moley.

The guy we have been waiting for = Manny Watkins. He is the defensive demon.

And did the player rotations work last night, or what?

This team is better on defense than MA's first three, but it also has much better finishing ability. That will make the Razorbacks dangerous.

Flurries of forced turnovers, making 54% inside the arc and 47% outside -- it was a joy to watch.

And offensive rebounding was more than adequate. Defensive boards, you get what you get in this system.

I LOVE manny!!!! He could be our Clint McDaniel/Robert Sheppard/TJ Cleveland type player!