Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs current coaching consultant: Steve Loney

Started by Piglet Dispersion Syndrome, November 18, 2014, 09:39:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

During the last presser, CBB talks about something I found interesting regarding some inside preparation that the Hogs do for their upcoming opponents. They hired Steve Loney as a consultant to aid the scouting of upcoming opponents. CBB feels this has been a huge boost for the program. CBB mentions that last year he went to Alabama and saw they had 3 of these guys that are not technically on staff, but are a resource for the team. He wanted the same for us, but the administration was against it. He was persistent and worked out the hiring of Loney.

Loney is currently working on the game plan for Missouri, trending their plays, coverages, protections, etc. Then he meets for a few hours on Saturday night or Sunday with the coaches (he mentioned Robb Smith) and Robb essentially gets a head start on the game plan for the next opponent. It was interesting to me to hear the process of how they begin to put a plan together week to week.

Here is Loney's bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Loney

CallThemHawgs!

So is the Wiki page wrong or is he AOL coach for Tampa and doing this for us at the same time...

Sounds like it is/definitely will help in the future.

ldfergu

They probably said NO until we lost a ton of games and realized how beneficial this could be..  Where was this guy for the UGA game??

thirrdegreetusker

Saw that in DemGaz today, too. Makes sense. Get an experienced coach to break down video on future opponents in advance, rather than have a GA do it "week of".

demonHOG1013

Loney ranks 15th in wins as a head coach at Drake University with 6.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 18, 2014, 09:43:46 am
Loney ranks 15th in wins as a head coach at Drake University with 6.

Well, thats good to know.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 18, 2014, 09:42:21 am
They probably said NO until we lost a ton of games and realized how beneficial this could be..  Where was this guy for the UGA game??
that game was the perfect storm.....unknown FRESHMAN running back, us in Little Rock, multiple turnovers.  some things you just can't be prepared enough

PP

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 18, 2014, 09:47:20 am
that game was the perfect storm.....unknown FRESHMAN running back, us in Little Rock, multiple turnovers.  some things you just can't be prepared enough

PP

That unknown freshman torched Mizzou the week before

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 18, 2014, 09:48:57 am
That unknown freshman torched Mizzou the week before
and I'm pretty sure we have felt like mizzou is a win all season, amiright?

PP

SemperFi

That's really interesting. You always cringe when you hear the word, "consultant", but it sure seems like it has paid off well. We've been in every game and if not for a lack of execution and some bad luck this Razorback team might be playing for an SECC. I wonder how many Hogville members/experts are updating their resume to send to CBB right now...😃
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 18, 2014, 09:50:02 am

PP

so was A&M and UGA

ricepig

Quote from: SemperFi on November 18, 2014, 09:51:06 am
That's really interesting. You always cringe when you hear the word, "consultant", but it sure seems like it has paid off well. We've been in every game and if not for a lack of execution and some bad luck this Razorback team might be playing for an SECC. I wonder how many Hogville members/experts are updating their resume to send to CBB right now...😃

He already has them all, he's read the board......

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on November 18, 2014, 09:52:25 am
so was A&M and UGA
yeah, that was my point.  boils down to overconfidence mixed in with silly mistakes and turnovers

PP

ldfergu

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 18, 2014, 09:50:02 am

PP

We have.  Yet the closer we get to that game the more nervous you get.  I think its a different test than our D has been facing.  I haven't watched MIZZ play much this year but traditionally they spread it out and throw a lot.  Its amazing to me how we SHUT DOWN the run game of both Alabama and LSU this year.  We allowed A&M to crawl back in it and it seems they run a similar type offense.  So, yeah, I'm a little more worried than I was but I also think our Defense has grown as a whole.  Be interesting to see if we can limit their big plays. 

I think we escape with a W.  We should be able to score on most drives

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on November 18, 2014, 09:41:59 am
So is the Wiki page wrong or is he AOL coach for Tampa and doing this for us at the same time...

Sounds like it is/definitely will help in the future.

Yeah, it's not updated, but that I think that has to be the guy. Has a Tampa connection ala Robb Smith.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on November 18, 2014, 10:04:04 am
Yeah, it's not updated, but that I think that has to be the guy. Has a Tampa connection ala Robb Smith.

Worked with Chaney for the Rams in 2008.

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 18, 2014, 10:06:20 am
Worked with Chaney for the Rams in 2008.

Good catch, yeah CBB mentioned that I forgot.

Hoggish1

If Bama has three of these guys, we should have four.  $ should be no object.

Dr. Starcs

Hogmattvb

I know Coach Loney as he was my coach for a couple of years. He has a very strong football sixth sense. He should be a great help in game planning.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 18, 2014, 09:53:49 am
yeah, that was my point.  boils down to overconfidence mixed in with silly mistakes and turnovers

PP

Yeah but we have yet to lose an SEC game after an SEC win under CBB

ricepig

Quote from: Hogmattvb on November 18, 2014, 11:12:29 am
I know Coach Loney as he was my coach for a couple of years. He has a very strong football sixth sense. He should be a great help in game planning.

Bret seemed to be very impressed with him, doesn't figure we'll be able to hold on to him.

Quote from: Hogmattvb on November 18, 2014, 11:12:29 am

"Football junkie" was CBB description of him.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Love how someone comes on and makes a negative comment about the Georgia game. 

Good for Coach B for bringing the guy in and using him.  Just shows his commitment to winning and being prepared.  This just frees up the actual coaches for coaching and game planning if their opponents tendencies, strengths and weaknesses are already broken down for them.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Tusks

I think the biggest surprise I have from this thread is Saben skirting the rules get an advantage again.

Not surprised he's pushing the rules but at how he's doing it.

I often wondered why a coach couldn't have paid extra staff that just doesn't recruit.

Remember, if you ain't pushing the rules, you ain't try'n.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Fayettechill14

HOGINTENNESSEE

redeye

This is awesome!  I've heard of Saban having all these scouts since he's been at Alabama and I can see how they'd be a big help.  I remember wondering if we had any when Petrino was here, but no one seemed to know of any.  I've yet to read the article in the paper, but looking forward to it.

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on November 18, 2014, 09:41:59 am

His Wikipedia entry shows him last working for Tamp in 2013.

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

pigbacon

Why would CBB hire a consultant when he can just log on to Hogville which is free? ???

Cure

Quote from: SemperFi on November 18, 2014, 09:51:06 am
That's really interesting. You always cringe when you hear the word, "consultant", but it sure seems like it has paid off well.
All the majors have consultants.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.