Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Trey Flowers Write His Name on the All American List?

Started by eusebius, November 17, 2014, 02:09:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eusebius

Rob Smith has Arkansas' defense playing at a top level once again, much of that is due to Senior Defensive End, Trey Flowers. The NFL awaits in Flowers' future, but that leaves us to wonder what post season awards await the standout Defensive End. Can he add his name to the All- American Defensive lineman that marks Razorback Football? Names that include: 

William "Bud" Brooks 1952-54, Guard and Defensive Tackle: Consensus All- American in 1954. Brooks was Arkansas' first Outland Trophy winner and epitomized the two way player of the 1950's.

Loyd Phillips 1964-66, Defensive Tackle: Consensus All- American in 1965 and 66. Phillips played beside other All Americans:  Ronnie Caveness in '64; OT Glen Ray Hines and E Bobby Crockett in '65. Phillips was a member of the '64 National Championship team winning the Outland Trophy in '66. He once recorded 22 tackles versus Tulsa in 1965.

Dick Bumpas 1968-70, Defensive Tackle: Consensus All- American 1970. Bumpas, like Phillips played on teams in the late 60's and early 70's loaded with All-Americans which included: CON AA, C Rodney Brand, '69; E Chuck Dicus, '69-'70; LB Cliff Powell, '69; K Bill McClard, '70-71; and DT Bruce James, '70.   

Dan Hampton (1975-78) and Jimmy Walker (75-78), Defensive Lineman. Both were named All American in 1978 and played alongside CON AA's K Steve Little, '77; OG Leotis Harris, '77; and OT Greg Kolenda, '79; on the 1977 11-1 Orange Bowl Champion team. 

Billy Ray Smith, Jr. 1979-82, Defensive End. Consensus All- American in 1981-82. Unblockable is the best word to describe Smith.  College football featured some freakishly quick pass rushers in the 80's notably, Alabama's Derrick Thomas and Cornelius Bennett, and Smith, Jr was right up there with the best. He is the Hog's all time leader in tackles for loss with 63 resulting in 343 yards lost for the opponent.   

Tony Cherico 1984-87, Nose Guard: Named to the Football Coaches All-American Team in 1987. This undersized Nose Guard had a relentless motor and helped led the Hogs to a bowl game all four seasons he wore the Razorback red. 

Wayne Martin 1985-88, Defensive End: Consensus All- American 1988. Martin teamed with Cherico in the mid-'80s and played with CON AA's K Kendall Trainor, '88 and OL Jim Mabry '89. Martin is the school's all-time sack leader with 25.5 sacks. He spearheaded Arkansas to an undefeated SWC season in 1988.

Jamal Anderson, 2004-06, Defensive End: 2nd Team NFL Draft All American 2006. Anderson deserves mention, because he was the defensive force behind the SEC West Champion team of '06. Anderson wreaked havoc on the opposing offenses while McFadden and Jones were the nightmare for the defense.  Anderson is tied for the single season sack record with Henry Ford and Steven Conley with 14.

Which brings us to. . . .

DE Trey Flowers  2011-present:   Phil Steele had Flowers on his 4th team Pre-Season All American team. Flowers' name is also on the Lombardi watch list and on Pre-Season All SEC teams. Coming into this season, he had 12 sacks and has added another 3 this season for a total of 15 in his career. If he closes this season on a high note, it's possible that he could crack the top seven on the all-time school sack list. He is tied with Melvin Bradley (1995-98) and could reasonably catch Scott Long (1989-92) at 7th place with 18 sacks. Breaking the top five would be a huge feat as Flowers would have to average 3 sacks in the final two games to tie Steven Conley (1992-95) at 21 . . .and then he could try to add to that number if the Hogs play a bowl game. Flowers has been the focal point of defensive lines this year, drawing double teams thus diminishing his sack opportunities.  The All American competition on the Defensive End position is stout this year: Nebraska's Randy Gregory and Joey Bosa of Ohio State are having productive seasons and Shilique Calhoun of Michigan State and Vic Beasley of Clemson have the eyes of the nation on them. Utah's Nate Orchard is the CFB co-leader with 17 sacks and 73 total tackles, gaudy numbers for a DE.

If Flowers plays well in the Hogs remaining two games and the Hogs make a bowl, we could see Flowers name on some Second and Third team All American teams, and for sure on the First Team All SEC lists.   
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

thirrdegreetusker

He is certainly deserving, but doubt he will get named AA. Too many candidates from schools the media considers more glamorous.

Might have  chance in one of the "coaches" polls, but my guess is that the SIDs, rather than the coach, actually does the voting.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Tejano Jawg

I'd write him on there if I could. He has delivered, and delivered BIG.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hogcephus

Quote from: supersaint on November 17, 2014, 03:10:00 pm
Henry Ford made several All America lists at DE.
They were well deserved too. Ford was awesome!

eusebius

Quote from: supersaint on November 17, 2014, 03:10:00 pm
Henry Ford made several All America lists at DE.

I thought he did as well, but I am not finding him on the lists: AP, UPI, Sporting News, FWAA, FC, etc. If you have where he is listed, let me know. 

These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.