Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depth on the Interior DL

Started by HogWildBison2011, November 17, 2014, 01:37:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

November 17, 2014, 01:37:22 pm Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:52:58 am by HogWildBison2011
Talk about building depth! I don't remember the last time we had numbers like this on the DL.. more specifically DT. Even after next season it looks like we are only losing Hodge, and Grady. Just a general observation.

Cordale Boyd, SO
Jeremy Ward, SO
Bijhon Jackson FR
DeMarcus Hodge, JR
Armon Watts, (RS)FR
Ke'Tyrus Marks, FR
Darius Philon, SO
Taiwan Johnson, SO
Grady Ollison, JR

Newcomers
Hjalte Frodoldt, FR
Jeremiah Ledbetter JC
Daytrieon Dean FR

jackflash

your forgetting Wise and Winston. I think wise is going to be a stud when healthy. Also was hoping defensive line would be Ollison calling.  Time will tell on Boyd and Ward.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jackflash on November 17, 2014, 01:48:29 pm
your forgetting Wise and Winston. I think wise is going to be a stud when healthy. Also was hoping defensive line would be Ollison calling.  Time will tell on Boyd and Ward.

Wise an Winston are exterior DL.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on November 17, 2014, 01:37:22 pm
Newcomers
Hjalte Frodoldt, FR
Jeremiah Ledbetter JC
Daytrieon Dean FR

I think they are going to try and keep Ledbetter on the outside if possible.

He's got the ability to play inside on passing downs, and outside in a normal 4-3. Very versatile lineman.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1664138/highlights/198206384
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1664138/highlights/116852377

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: jackflash on November 17, 2014, 01:48:29 pm
Yes sir I was just talking about the interior line. I did forget about Grady, I am hoping Boyd & Ward finally do contribute. And you are right Iceman, I think we have the same thing going on with Dean.

returntoglory

TMc

Quote from: returntoglory on November 17, 2014, 02:31:04 pm
Is Philon just at Soph?

Unless he redshirted his Freshman year, he is a Jr.., and frankly I can't remember the JLS year, nor do I want to.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: TMc on November 17, 2014, 02:32:27 pm
Unless he redshirted his Freshman year, he is a Jr.., and frankly I can't remember the JLS year, nor do I want to.

Redshirt sophomore

The_Iceman

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2014, 02:43:53 pm
I worry about him leaving after next season.
Me too but I'm comforted in CBB's approach to that. If you are a 1st or 2nd round pick he will help you pack your bags if you want to go BUT if not I'm sure they will get the "Flowers" treatment.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2014, 02:43:53 pm
I worry about him leaving after next season.

Count on it...he's gone.  I just hope he doesn't leave after THIS season, but doubt it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 17, 2014, 03:02:03 pm
Count on it...he's gone.  I just hope he doesn't leave after THIS season, but doubt it.
it's very possible Philon stays until his eligibility is exhausted. CBB loves to run a senior laden program. Unless Philon becomes a first or high second round pick after next season, he won't be leaving early.

This team is only getting better and just like Flowers foregoing the draft to be apart of something big, expect Philon to do the same. It only gets better from here. We're not far from seeing a lot of success.

Oklahawg

Ward and Boyd are out of place at the top of the list, at least cosmetically. I doubt they ever dress out for a conference game at UA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 17, 2014, 03:02:03 pm
He is not eligible to leave after THIS season!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on November 17, 2014, 03:37:24 pm

Yes he is. True freshman, redshirt freshman, redshirt sophomore. 3 years out of high school

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on November 17, 2014, 03:24:01 pm
it's very possible Philon stays until his eligibility is exhausted. CBB loves to run a senior laden program. Unless Philon becomes a first or high second round pick after next season, he won't be leaving early.

This team is only getting better and just like Flowers foregoing the draft to be apart of something big, expect Philon to do the same. It only gets better from here. We're not far from seeing a lot of success.

I agree, but I'm a realist.  If he continues on this pace, I'd be shocked if stayed after next season.

SPAL

NLRHog92

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 17, 2014, 03:24:48 pm
Ward and Boyd are out of place at the top of the list, at least cosmetically. I doubt they ever dress out for a conference game at UA.

That bugged me too haha! Ward has always been injured. He just doesn't cut the mustard and I assume he'll be gone after this year. Maybe a medical hardship like Brignoni, but we'll see. I think Boyd provides depth in practice and maybe dresses out, but he'll never really play, especially with the talent coming in. It seemed we were a little thin this year and Hodge has played sparingly despite becoming more conditioned and mobile but also stronger. Philon has just been that good!

redswarmrising

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on November 17, 2014, 01:37:22 pm
Talk about building depth! I don't remember the last time we had numbers like this on the DL.. more specifically DT. Even after next season it looks like we are only losing Hodge. Just a general observation.

Cordale Boyd, SO
Jeremy Ward, SO
Bijhon Jackson FR
DeMarcus Hodge, JR
Armon Watts, (RS)FR
Ke'Tyrus Marks, FR
Darius Philon, SO
Taiwan Johnson, SO
Grady Ollison, JR

Newcomers
Hjalte Frodoldt, FR
Jeremiah Ledbetter JC
Daytrieon Dean FR

don't forget about Jemario (did i spell that right?)Bell coming in

or are they looking at him at TE?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: redswarmrising on November 18, 2014, 07:07:20 am
don't forget about Jemario (did i spell that right?)Bell coming in

or are they looking at him at TE?

Defensive end. Op was focusing on defensive tackles

Tim Harris

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on November 17, 2014, 03:24:01 pm

Sure he could but I also wouldn't base my opinion solely on what happened with Flowers.  Each kid is unique and often times the decision doesn't only go off how they perform but also what their family situation is as well. 

Although I feel pretty good he stays after this year I would guess it is at least 50/50 for next year.  When you have guys like McElroy on the SEC network saying he is the best DT in the conference that speaks highly of his talent and to me says he would be a decent draft pick.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 17, 2014, 03:24:48 pm

Speaking of that, any info on the development of Armon Watts? I'm sure that they wanted to beef him up a bit. Should be interesting to see how far he has come.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogberry Snortcake

Didn't I see Loewen get in on some plays on Saturday?  A sack? 

NLRHog92

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on November 18, 2014, 09:01:23 am
Didn't I see Loewen get in on some plays on Saturday?  A sack?

Yep! He played DE quite extensively actually. Ahead of Lewis and played about as much as Winston.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 18, 2014, 03:36:31 am
That bugged me too haha! Ward has always been injured. He just doesn't cut the mustard and I assume he'll be gone after this year. Maybe a medical hardship like Brignoni, but we'll see. I think Boyd provides depth in practice and maybe dresses out, but he'll never really play, especially with the talent coming in. It seemed we were a little thin this year and Hodge has played sparingly despite becoming more conditioned and mobile but also stronger. Philon has just been that good!
Ward had a major back injury requiring dangerous surgery.  He is rehabbing, trying to fight his way back.  He may not make it back, but it won't be because " he just doesn't cut the mustard".

If most of you had his injury, you'd be begging your congressman to help you get you disability...
All Gas, No Brakes!

The_Iceman

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 18, 2014, 09:12:40 am
Yep! He played DE quite extensively actually. Ahead of Lewis and played about as much as Winston.

I was always wondering who that DE was. Didn't put it together that it was Loewen.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/517512/mitchell-loewen

ChicoHog

I saw Lewis in there quite a bit the last couple of games.  Loewen also.  I have not seen marks much at all except mop-up duty.  Same with Ollison.  I think the depth is a concern but I have faith our staff will develop it into a strength. 

NLRHog92

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 18, 2014, 09:19:20 am
Ward had a major back injury requiring dangerous surgery.  He is rehabbing, trying to fight his way back.  He may not make it back, but it won't be because " he just doesn't cut the mustard".

If most of you had his injury, you'd be begging your congressman to help you get you disability...

I wasn't trying to knock the kid. I was just stating that whatever it may be, he doesn't have the current ability to play at the level needed. It doesn't mean I don't sympathize for him or appreciate what he brings to the program, I love homegrown Hogs. I was stating what I saw strictly from football standpoint. I can also relate to major back pain. My dad has had 3 surgeries on his back and spinal cord. I've witnessed first hand what excruciation looks like. I'm young, but have already experienced a good amount of lower back pain myself. Nowhere near what Jeremy and my dad have gone through, but it doesn't mean I don't grasp the situation.

ricepig

We rotated d-line a lot, in fact, more than I can remember all year. It seemed to help.

Hogdomer

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 18, 2014, 09:37:13 am
I saw Lewis in there quite a bit the last couple of games.  Loewen also.  I have not seen marks much at all except mop-up duty.  Same with Ollison.  I think the depth is a concern but I have faith our staff will develop it into a strength. 

Ke'Tyrus Marks is redshirting.  He hasn't played.

NLRHog92

November 18, 2014, 10:10:13 am #31 Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:26:48 am by NLRHog92
Quote from: Hogdomer on November 18, 2014, 10:08:03 am
Ke'Tyrus Marks is redshirting.  He hasn't played.

He redshirted last season, is currently a RS Freshman.

Hogdomer

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 18, 2014, 10:10:13 am
Do your homework. He redshirted last season, is currently a RS Freshman.

You got me.  Thanks for the kind rebuke.

Hogberry Snortcake

Cool.  Thanks.  DE.  I didn't see where he was playing, just the aftermath.  I guess not really applicable to the interior DL discussion. 

tbhogfan

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on November 18, 2014, 10:20:29 am
Cool.  Thanks.  DE.  I didn't see where he was playing, just the aftermath.  I guess not really applicable to the interior DL discussion. 
But he has quietly worked his way into some quality playing time.   Not bad for a kid who was a TE last year.
Go Hogs!

TMc

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 18, 2014, 07:23:20 am
Sure he could but I also wouldn't base my opinion solely on what happened with Flowers.  Each kid is unique and often times the decision doesn't only go off how they perform but also what their family situation is as well. 

Although I feel pretty good he stays after this year I would guess it is at least 50/50 for next year.  When you have guys like McElroy on the SEC network saying he is the best DT in the conference that speaks highly of his talent and to me says he would be a decent draft pick.

He is a very good DL.., those guys are coveted everywhere.., especially in the NFL.  Clay Henry seems to think he would stay until his Sr year.., I personally do not.  He's very talented.

secneahog

Jake hall is around 260 right now. 6'5 will be a redshirt freshman next year.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

BigSexyHog

Lot of hhate in this thread...lol
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

redleg

1. Philon is a redshirt sophomore, and will probably leave early after next year.
2. I can see Taiwan Johnson being moved to DE, and Bijhon Jackson starting at NG.
3. Froholdt and Ledbetter are going to provide some great depth at DT.
4. Look for Ollison to get more playing time in 2015.
5. Boyd and Ward are not going to see much time on the field...in fact, do not be surprised to see both of them transfer.
6. Hodge will be a good stop gap for one more season, providing Philon some rest for 12-15 plays per game in 2015.
7. Also, don't forget about DT Armon Watts and DE Jake Hall who are redshirting.
8. The DE rotation next year may be Wise, Winston, Beanum, Taiwan Johnson (IF he's moved to End), Hall, and maybe Ledbetter.
9. I see no reason Jamario Bell and/or Daytreion Dean don't redshirt, unless they come in and just absolutely dominate from the get-go.
10. If Arkansas can sign DT Austin Capps and DE McTelvin Agim in the 2016 Class, the Hogs D-Line will be sitting pretty!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The_Iceman

Quote from: redleg on November 19, 2014, 11:32:04 am

Ledbetter can play both DE and DT, depending on the formation, down/distance.

NLRHog92

1. Philon is a redshirt sophomore, and will probably leave early after next year.
2. I can see Taiwan Johnson being moved to DE, and Bijhon Jackson starting at NG.
5. Boyd and Ward are not going to see much time on the field...in fact, do not be surprised to see both of them transfer.
6. Hodge will be a good stop gap for one more season, providing Philon some rest for 12-15 plays per game in 2015.
7. Also, don't forget about DT Armon Watts and DE Jake Hall who are redshirting.
8. The DE rotation next year may be Wise, Winston, Beanum, Taiwan Johnson (IF he's moved to End), Hall, and maybe Ledbetter.
9. I see no reason Jamario Bell and/or Daytreion Dean don't redshirt, unless they come in and just absolutely dominate from the get-go.
10. If Arkansas can sign DT Austin Capps and DE McTelvin Agim in the 2016 Class, the Hogs D-Line will be sitting pretty!

Johnson has played surprisingly well on the inside. He's so quick and can get thin that he provides a matchup problems. But he may move to DE, who knows. You forgot about Loewen, who has started to play well at DE.

OnTheHillHogFan

Johnson will stay inside. He hasn't played DE all year. Phil on can play DE though and has several times this year 
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

redeye

Quote from: tbhogfan on November 18, 2014, 01:19:36 pm
But he has quietly worked his way into some quality playing time.   Not bad for a kid who was a TE last year.

I guess I'd forgotten he'd switched, because I was wondering what he was doing on the other side.  I only noticed him once, but he looked good on that play.

secneahog

Anthony brown..keytrus marks
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Have we had any Frosh or Soph's play just enough to break their mono?
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Hog Fan from Camden

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 17, 2014, 03:39:16 pm
Yes he is. True freshman, redshirt freshman, redshirt sophomore. 3 years out of high school
Again, my bad!  Don't know what I was thinking when I made that comment! 

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on November 17, 2014, 03:37:24 pm
Doesn't it suck to be wrong when you used all caps and an exclamation point.

WaltonCollege

A bunch of DEs no true DT just as the original post pointed out. No true 290-330lb plugger in the middle. I know bielema and smith like fast DTs but gotta have a marcel Dareus type plugger for 4th and goal from the 1

hogfan2000

They not exactly accurate buddy.  Bijhon Jackson and Demarcus Hodge would definitely qualify as plungers.