Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barry Lunney Jr. ranked #10 recruiter in country in ESPN Power Recruting Rankings

Started by Hoggy Bear, November 17, 2014, 11:00:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

There is a certain poster that I would LOVE to see come into this thread to have his share of crow. I won't call him out by name, but I know for a fact he will read this.  And he will KNOW I'm talking about him.  He talked so much smack about BLJ and his abilities.  I'll just leave it open for him to volunteer himself for his serving of crow.  ;)

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Prestworthy

But I wonder how much of that success is actually attributed to Lunney and not the CBB and the staff as a whole?  I'm not a subscriber, but did Pittman make the list?

Wildhog

And while I do think those rankings are a joke, BLJ has done a very good job in state this year.  My problem has always been that I don't think we need a token Arkansas guy.  We USUALLY don't have enough in-state talent to justify it, but that appears to be changing.

Anyway, kudos to Barry.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 17, 2014, 11:13:10 am
But I wonder how much of that success is actually attributed to Lunney and not the CBB and the staff as a whole?  I'm not a subscriber, but did Pittman make the list?

See, that's my deal.  Pittman is the best recruiter we have on staff, and it's not really close.  But I doubt he shows up in the rankings.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

It's both.  Lunney has the in state connections in Arkansas that no one else on staff has.  He's known and respected by pretty much every major school in the state. CBB is the closer, no doubt.  But Lunney is the one that's got established relationships. 

HogHillbilly

And all of the sudden he's this magical recruiter ? Naaaaa. I think it has something to do with the Coaching Staff. BLJ just makes the visits
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:16:03 am
See, that's my deal.  Pittman is the best recruiter we have on staff, and it's not really close.  But I doubt he shows up in the rankings.

There's an argument to be made there.  Lunney's stats are inflated because he's credited for every in state kid no matter what position they play.  The position coaches don't get that kind of credit because they really only recruit their position group, which is a much smaller group of players.  Lunny's footprint is also much smaller, and he's not flying all over tarnation to pluck out elite players.  He's got the ability to focus on the state, and a bit in north Texas.  So he can develop closer relationships.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:16:03 am

Its all based on who you were the lead recruiter on and signed, I agree, pretty dumb.

Lunney has done a great job with the instate guys however

Prestworthy

So these rankings really don't mean much at all?  If I recall, Tim Horton was on a similar list not long ago...

Wildhog

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 17, 2014, 11:22:45 am
So these rankings really don't mean much at all?  If I recall, Tim Horton was on a similar list not long ago...

Exactly.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 17, 2014, 11:22:45 am

They mean something.  It means he's done a great job putting up that fence around the state they've always talked about.  But he's had some distinct advantages over some others.

Wildhog

This is how I'd rank our recruiters.  Just my opinion.

1. Pittman
2. Shannon
3. M Smith
4. Lunney
5. Jennings
6. R Smith

And then Chaney, Thomas, and Segrest are all pretty much worthless on the trail.
1909/1964/1965/1977

CallThemHawgs!

Dont know if I put Smith ahead of Lunney?

Who has he signed?

On another note, I have been less than impressed with his on field results as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on November 17, 2014, 11:31:22 am
Dont know if I put Smith ahead of Lunney?

Who has he signed?

On another note, I have been less than impressed with his on field results as well.

All the LA kids.  I almost put Lunney ahead of him.

And yes, Smith's on-field results are certainly wanting.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:29:42 am

1. Pittman
2. Shannon
3. M Smith
4. Lunney
5. Jennings
6. R Smith

And then Chaney, Thomas, and Segrest are all pretty much worthless on the trail.

I've heard lots of the DL prospects talk really highly of Segrest.  That's a pretty spot on list though.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:33:49 am
I've heard lots of the DL prospects talk really highly of Segrest.  That's a pretty spot on list though.

I have, too.  Need to see him go out and sign someone, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:35:41 am
I have, too.  Need to see him go out and sign someone, though.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Rory-Segrest-1969

He's got Ledbetter, Hedlund, Blake Johnson, and a couple others to his credit. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:37:22 am
http://247sports.com/Coach/Rory-Segrest-1969

He's got Ledbetter, Hedlund, Blake Johnson, and a couple others to his credit. 

Pittman was Ledbetter's lead.

As far as kickers go... it's not hard to get them.  There's not exactly a lot of competition, offer-wise.  I guess Hedlund did get a late TAMU offer. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:37:39 am
Pittman was Ledbetter's lead.

As far as kickers go... it's not hard to get them.  There's not exactly a lot of competition, offer-wise.  I guess Hedlund did get a late TAMU offer.

Lol.  I'm just sayin.  As long as we keep getting OL studs, and he coaches them to perform like they have this year, I'm good with him. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:40:54 am
Lol.  I'm just sayin.  As long as we keep getting OL studs, and he coaches them to perform like they have this year, I'm good with him. 

Never said I'm not good with him.  They can't all be stud recruiters.  This is the most disruptive Hog DL I can remember.

He's just very inexperienced as a recruiter.  He'll get better.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

I love Barry Lunney JR and I hope he stays a LONG LONG TIME on this Staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:42:07 am
Never said I'm not good with him.  They can't all be stud recruiters.  This is the most disruptive Hog DL I can remember.

He's just very inexperienced as a recruiter.  He'll get better.

Not arguing, just pointing out.

http://www.chatsports.com/arkansas-razorbacks/a/Getting-To-Know-Rory-Segrest-Definitely-Is-A-Good-Recruiter-2-9156060

QuoteHere is Towns on Segrest as a recruiter and a small example of what makes him special to his players:

I think Coach Segrest definitely is a good recruiter. I have seen him bring good talent to Samford. Guys want to sign just from talking to him on the phone.

The players will love Coach Segrest. He called me yesterday (Monday) to check up on me and make sure I still had his contact info in case I needed him. When the players see how much Coach Segrest will improve their game, they will see why his players think so highly of him.

Now to your point, SEC recruiting is as cut throat a business as there is.  So he likely will have some learning to do, and will get better.  But evidently he's got the skills.  His d-line is pretty darn good though, so if the recruiting catches up, losing Partridge could be minimized, and we could almost consider it a lateral trade.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:48:28 am
Not arguing, just pointing out.

http://www.chatsports.com/arkansas-razorbacks/a/Getting-To-Know-Rory-Segrest-Definitely-Is-A-Good-Recruiter-2-9156060

Now to your point, SEC recruiting is as cut throat a business as there is.  So he likely will have some learning to do, and will get better.  But evidently he's got the skills.  His d-line is pretty darn good though, so if the recruiting catches up, losing Partridge could be minimized, and we could almost consider it a lateral trade.

I've read that before.  He's in year one of recruiting at an FBS level.  It's going to take some time. 

Partridge, though, is a monster on the recruiting trail.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Also, that article reminds me of Chaney's "bio."  From reading it, you'd think Chaney raised Drew Brees from birth, developing him as a QB for his entire life.

In reality, he was never Brees' QB coach.  Just the guy calling the plays. 

:)  Had to throw that in there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:52:19 am
I've read that before.  He's in year one of recruiting at an FBS level.  It's going to take some time. 

Partridge, though, is a monster on the recruiting trail.

No doubt.  CCP was a monster recruiter.  That was the biggest loss after the defensive turnover last season.  In fact, the rest were addition by subtraction.  CCP hurt on the recruiting trail.  I think Segrest can coach DL as good as anyone.  Gotta think his recruiting will only get better.

S.A.D.C

My God the hate on here is even more unbelievable when something good happens than when something bad happens!

We beat LSU 17-0 and people want Chaney fired.  We lock down all the top in-state kids- literally for the first time since recruiting rankings existed and the in-state lead gets credit but some here still have to hate.

What's wrong with "nice job BLJ, keep it up."? 

Fact- locked down all the top instate talent.  First time this has happened since recruiting rankings existed- like 20 years! 
Fact- coaches our best offensive position.
Fact- in one season he is coaching a walk-on JuCo transfer QB into an NFL tight end.

I get the Chaney hate, I get the BB hate....  but BLJ grew up here, played here, and is undeniably doing a great job- whether you think he is a top 10 recruiter or not.  If he can't get some respect here who can? 

Wildhog

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 17, 2014, 12:45:52 pm
My God the hate on here is even more unbelievable when something good happens than when something bad happens!

We beat LSU 17-0 and people want Chaney fired.  We lock down all the top in-state kids- literally for the first time since recruiting rankings existed and the in-state lead gets credit but some here still have to hate.

Fact- locked down all the top instate talent.  First time this has happened since recruiting rankings existed- like 20 years! 
Fact- in one season he is coaching a walk-on JuCo transfer QB into an NFL tight end.

I get the Chaney hate, I get the BB hate....  but BLJ grew up here, played here, and is undeniably doing a great job- whether you think he is a top 10 recruiter or not.  If he can't get some respect here who can? 

Who's hating on him?
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Nobody suggested firing chaney on this thread, or hated on BLJ.  He's done a fantastic job.

S.A.D.C

The Chaney hate was on a different thread after the game.

No one was hating on BLJ as much as writing off his success-

Quote from: HogHillbilly on November 17, 2014, 11:17:58 am
And all of the sudden he's this magical recruiter ? Naaaaa. I think it has something to do with the Coaching Staff. BLJ just makes the visits

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:19:31 am
There's an argument to be made there.  Lunney's stats are inflated because he's credited for every in state kid no matter what position they play.  The position coaches don't get that kind of credit because they really only recruit their position group, which is a much smaller group of players.  Lunny's footprint is also much smaller, and he's not flying all over tarnation to pluck out elite players.  He's got the ability to focus on the state, and a bit in north Texas.  So he can develop closer relationships.

Inflated stats, he just makes the visits, it's the rest of the staff- yadda yadda.  Just seems like he has done something no one else has ever done- gotten all of the elite in-state recruits.  (In the middle of a NASTY losing streak by the way).  And some people would rather pick it apart than give credit where it is obviously due...

DEVIL DOG HOG

If you gave the haters one million dollars each, they would complain about the color of the money.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Darren DeLoach

Firstly, congrats Lunney Jr.

Next:

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:15:10 am
And while I do think those rankings are a joke, BLJ has done a very good job in state this year.  My problem has always been that I don't think we need a token Arkansas guy.  We USUALLY don't have enough in-state talent to justify it, but that appears to be changing.

Anyway, kudos to Barry.

This staff doesn't need a token Arkansan. But it clearly needs an Arkansas presence that has a name as respected as the Lunney's in this state. Couple that with Jr's personal ambition and abilities, and he casts a net that his predecessors could not.

You are also correct in this state does not always deserve this many scholarships. And that is precisely when Barry Lunney Jr.'s heritage, character, and abilities will shine. Keeping the in-state coaches pacified when the Flagship passes on the local legend. When our state doesn't produce the quality, he (along with a viable, productive walk on program) will be instrumental in assuring the high school coaches are not swayed in their allegiances.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Wildhog

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on November 17, 2014, 01:41:04 pm
You are also correct in this state does not always deserve this many scholarships. And that is precisely when Barry Lunney Jr.'s heritage, character, and abilities will shine. Keeping the in-state coaches pacified when the Flagship passes on the local legend. When our state doesn't produce the quality, he (along with a viable, productive walk on program) will be instrumental in assuring the high school coaches are not swayed in their allegiances.

meeeeh.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 17, 2014, 01:11:52 pm
The Chaney hate was on a different thread after the game.

No one was hating on BLJ as much as writing off his success-

Inflated stats, he just makes the visits, it's the rest of the staff- yadda yadda.  Just seems like he has done something no one else has ever done- gotten all of the elite in-state recruits.  (In the middle of a NASTY losing streak by the way).  And some people would rather pick it apart than give credit where it is obviously due...

I've known BLJ since I was five years old. If you're including me in "hating" on him, you're sadly mistaken.  I've given him credit repeatedly.  You're way off base.  We are just having a discussion.  Sorry if you don't like it.

S.A.D.C

You're right- hating was a poor choice in words.  I just want to see the local guy who is doing a great job get all the credit he deserves. 

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

PorkRinds

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 17, 2014, 01:48:01 pm
You're right- hating was a poor choice in words.  I just want to see the local guy who is doing a great job get all the credit he deserves.

I give him a ton of credit.  He's a great guy, and is doing a great job.  I was simply explaining why he was getting such high rankings when a guy like Pittman isn't. 

Hawgzinbowlz

DoctorSusscrofa

It's a good thing all you message board posters know so much inside information about our recruiting and the relationships our coaches have.  You guys blow the journalists away. Proves once again that a guy in his pajamas in his in-laws basement is way ahead of those national publications and networks.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Wildhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 17, 2014, 03:40:16 pm
It's a good thing all you message board posters know so much inside information about our recruiting and the relationships our coaches have.  You guys blow the journalists away. Proves once again that a guy in his pajamas in his in-laws basement is way ahead of those national publications and networks.

So you're saying Lunney is the best recruiter on staff?

1909/1964/1965/1977

texas tush hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:05:01 am
There is a certain poster that I would LOVE to see come into this thread to have his share of crow. I won't call him out by name, but I know for a fact he will read this.  And he will KNOW I'm talking about him.  He talked so much smack about BLJ and his abilities.  I'll just leave it open for him to volunteer himself for his serving of crow.  ;)

I know you are talking about me, and yes, I do not care for any of the Lunney's for various reasons, but I do not think he has any better relationship in state than Tim Horton, and his on field coaching abilities are still suspect although he is coaching two outstanding athletes. Time will tell, but I will decline the crow for now. I will take Harold and Tim over the Lunney's any day but for now that is a moot discussion. He is on staff and I support the overall staff. And he has a share in the 2015 class, but Timmy got the Joe Adams and Jarius Wright class when everybody else had bailed. Lunney is reaping the fruits of others labors and a strong in state class of loyal Arkansas kids. I congratulate him but no crow, thank you.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 17, 2014, 03:50:49 pm
I know you are talking about me, and yes, I do not care for any of the Lunney's for various reasons, but I do not think he has any better relationship in state than Tim Horton, and his on field coaching abilities are still suspect although he is coaching two outstanding athletes. Time will tell, but I will decline the crow for now. I will take Harold and Tim over the Lunney's any day but for now that is a moot discussion. He is on staff and I support the overall staff. And he has a share in the 2015 class, but Timmy got the Joe Adams and Jarius Wright class when everybody else had bailed. Lunney is reaping the fruits of others labors and a strong in state class of loyal Arkansas kids. I congratulate him but no crow, thank you.

This is the funniest thing I have read all day.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Paul

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 11:29:42 am

1. Pittman
2. Shannon
3. M Smith
4. Lunney
5. Jennings
6. R Smith

Thomas is doing work in Texas

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977