Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Does '14 vs LSU Rank?

Started by Stewhog 11, November 17, 2014, 10:32:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewhog 11

Now that the dust has settled and the adrenaline has passed, where does Saturday rank in your favorite Razorback games that you have attended? I'm a younger fan on here, and my first memory of attending a hog football game was Tennessee in 1999. This had to be the most fun I've ever had at a football game. I was too busy yelling to get cold, and there is just something about shutting out your opponent to win the boot, then seeing the crowd rush the field.

Interested to see what some of you have to say.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

rickm1976

Good win, but not top ten - maybe top twenty or so.

razorbackkid

Near the top for me.  Especially if we can look back on it and say, "yeah, that was the turning point".
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

GolfnHog

Based on the totality of  the losing streak, the weather, the opponent etc.. I'll say it was a testament to Hognation and to all the fans, 70K strong, that showed up and wanted something good to happen.

It did, therefore it was a great and fun experience and as a fan for over 50 years, it will remain memorable for what it created. A much needed win and boost of confidence for a group of kids that have fought their butts off to get it. For that it will be memorable for me.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

EastexHawg

Somewhere in the middle of the pile.  They are just a mediocre team this year that will have to beat another mediocre team, Texas A&M, to finish 4-4 in the SEC.

It was a fun game with a great atmosphere, but in the grand scheme of things its importance relative to other wins over the years doesn't measure up.

rickm1976

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 17, 2014, 10:44:08 am
Somewhere in the middle of the pile.  They are just a mediocre team this year that will have to beat another mediocre team, Texas A&M, to finish 4-4 in the SEC.

It was a fun game with a great atmosphere, but in the grand scheme of things its importance relative to other wins over the years doesn't measure up.

I'd still put it in the top 20, but the '78 Orange Bowl, the 42-11 thrashing of Texas, Miracle on Markham, etc. are in a class all their own.

GuvHog

Top 10 for me. It was absolutely amazing to see a Hog team dominate LSU so thoroughly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pigstie

Probably won't know for sure until after the season.  Not sure yet if this is a turning point or not. We will know that at the end of the year. A great win though. I personally would have like to have beaten their entire starting OL. I think that took a little glimmer away from it. Probably top 20 win.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

WarPig88

It was great to get the SEC monkey off our back but seriously this is not an all time kind of win anymore than that terrible Hog team going into #3 Tenn and winning unless it is followed up by a late season run and a good season next year.

thirrdegreetusker

Depends. Won't know for a while yet.

Maybe folks will look back at that game, years from now, and say "That is where we began to turn it around."

Professor Psychosis

For me, it was the most enjoyable game I've watched since LSU 2010.  It was nice getting a victory, but the fact that we shut them out was a bonus.

eusebius

I would agree with this. Glad to get the win. Glad it was a shutout. Glad the losing streak was stopped.
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

BRHogfan

This is the best game I've ever listened to. 

Best game I attended was 2006 Auburn.

Best game I watched was 2007 LSU.

Best game I played in was 2023 National Championship against Ohio State.  Arkansas won 66 - 10.

Bacons Rebellion

I have it tied for 37th with the 13-6 win over SMU in 1958.

If we go on a big winning streak, maybe it goes up. If we lose out, it goes way down.

redeye

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 17, 2014, 12:23:29 pm
It was great to get the SEC monkey off our back but seriously this is not an all time kind of win anymore than that terrible Hog team going into #3 Tenn and winning unless it is followed up by a late season run and a good season next year.

That was our first SEC win (not including fellow newbie SC) and it came on the road against a top-10 team, so it was a pretty big win for me.

Cinco de Hogo

I've seen a lot of great football moments in my 57 years, moments that meant something towards rankings, bowl games, championships.  This game meant a lot but only time will tell if it was anymore than a great game experience at a moment in time.  A shutout of LSU makes it a great win regardless of anything else despite what happens in he next game.

Top 50 probably but we're in the top 50 I'm not inclined to pursue.

Huckleberry Pig

I'm only 26 so don't have a lot of past games to compare to, but other than Bama in 2010 I can't remember being in a stadium where every single person wanted a W so badly.

if you were there, you could feel it

hawgwash

Quote from: GolfnHog on November 17, 2014, 10:40:34 am
Based on the totality of  the losing streak, the weather, the opponent etc.. I'll say it was a testament to Hognation and to all the fans, 70K strong, that showed up and wanted something good to happen.

It did, therefore it was a great and fun experience and as a fan for over 50 years, it will remain memorable for what it created. A much needed win and boost of confidence for a group of kids that have fought their butts off to get it. For that it will be memorable for me.
I've been thinking about the question posed by the OP and had considered starting this topic.  So I'm glad this thread is on the board.  GolfnHog captures a good bit of my sentiment.  Here's my list of the games I've attended that gave me the BEST FEELING AT THE TIME.
1.  Cotton Bowl, New Year's Day 1965.  Because it was our only national championship.  (Though in all honesty I was only 9 at the time and may not have completely understood the consequences, plus we still needed Texas to win later that day).
2.  1981 thrashing of Texas.  Because it buried a lot of demons.
3.  Miracle on Markham.  Because for once the last second heroics went our way, and put us in the SEC championship game.
4.  This win over LSU.  Because this one also buried a LOT of demons, and hopefully started a glorious new era.  And personally I think it will.  If 3 years from now that proves not to be the case, then the great feeling from Saturday night will fade.  But until then, this was one of the best feelings at a game ever.

Augustus

The newness of this win, coupled with the relief of finally getting a W under Bret and being a shutout, certainly makes one point to being a top ten win... but as time fades, I'm not so sure.

I would hope we now begin to expect to replicate these results over the years with Bret.  If that's the case, I don't see how this can be a top 5 game, or possibly a top 10 game.

Personally, of games I've been too (and in no certain order):
'91 Hogs beat Texas at WMS, last game of the SWC series
2010 Hogs over LSU at WMS, to get the nod for the Sugar Bowl
Miracle on Markham

Are my top 3. I wasn't at the Tennessee upset, but I would include that had I been there.

DLUXHOG

Definitely top 10.  Number 1 is 78' Orange Bowl whipping on OU...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

311Hog

since it is specified as a "game attended" yeah it is very much up there and has the potential to go higher if this infact the "turning point" where we finally put to bed all the bad stuff of the clown with a whistle, and the Volleyball chick on the Hog, "Smile" etc. and finally can get on with the CBB era and see where it takes us.

It was such a great game to be at, i normally do not get to go to all the games and my boss let me have his tickets because he got better ones and it was lower bowl so i as able to rush the field.  felt so good to be on the field surrounded by hog fans, players etc and the golden boot.

As far as Greatest Hog games yeah it probably isn't up there but in terms of ones i was actually in the stadium for it is way up there.

demonHOG1013

Some of the best games/atmospheres of games I attended:
1989 SMU in LR
1991 Texas in LR (Last game vs Texas in the SWC)
1995 Auburn in LR (watched Auburn's kicker hit 60+ yarders in warm-ups then miss the FG as time expired
1999 Tennessee
2000 Cotton Bowl vs Texas
2003 Alabama
2006 Alabama
2006 Tennessee
2010 Alabama
2011 Tennessee
2013 Texas A&M

Didn't get to go to LSU game this year since we moved to NC

Hoggie17

If not for breaking the 17 game slide, just another SEC game.

demonHOG1013

Would you say the LSU win saturday was bigger than the 1992 win AT #4 Tennessee?

DeltaBoy

Ranks up with the 2 wins over LSU in Little Rock.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

code red

For me 3rd......behind C. Dick to Crawford.....behind 98 at Neyland in Tennessee.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

demonHOG1013

Quote from: code red on November 18, 2014, 11:42:13 am
For me 3rd......behind C. Dick to Crawford.....behind 98 at Neyland in Tennessee.

Your favorite game is the Stoerner fumble game?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 18, 2014, 07:39:54 am
If not for breaking the 17 game slide, just another SEC game.

Yep, but beating LSU to break the losing streak was sweet.

Stewhog 11

I feel like some posters aren't following the question I was asking when I started this topic. Obviously a win over a 3-loss top 20 team with no national championship or conference championship implications isn't a "big win" for the program compared to beating a top 5 team, or clinching a SEC Championship birth. What was special about this game was everything surrounding it. The atmosphere in the stadium, the losing streak dating back over two years, shutting out a rival on a cold night in November, then thousands of fans rushing the field.

When the 17-0 score went final, the attitude of the entire state changed. It was 30 degrees, there were only 17 points scored, and only 387 yards of total offense, and it was 4 of the most fun hours of my life. Very rare you come across a more satisfying win than that.