Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering florida and muschamp.

Started by HoggusMaximus, November 17, 2014, 05:24:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggusMaximus

Are there any recruits we are after that have already committed to the gators? The coaching change has to help our chances.

SemperFi

Was thinking much the same. Surely we can make a push on a few that were once considering the Hogs. Have they established a timeline for their coaching search? With the season a few weeks away from being officially over the door is wide open. I also read that Dominique Reed had UF on his list; I wonder if that's changed now.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HoggusMaximus

Firing him with 2 games to go gives the recruits plenty of time to think about it. I just don't understand the move to fire him now with 2 games left.

immahog

November 17, 2014, 06:26:45 am #3 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:38:06 am by immahog
not sure how to spell his name but ( jalen M ) the OL is he looking at the gators ???
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

HoggusMaximus

Supermark101

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 17, 2014, 06:06:59 am
Firing him with 2 games to go gives the recruits plenty of tiJalen Merricke to think about it. I just don't understand the move to fire him now with 2 games left.

He wasn't fired, he stepped down ;)

i don't think it helps us that much. We only have a few spots left, and we have our targets.  Not that we shouldn't try. It would be nice to land Jalen Merrick.

NLRHog92

November 17, 2014, 06:53:59 am #6 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:16:41 am by NLRHog92
From what I see, they only have 9 committed, which isn't a lot to choose from. Here's a couple of their commits reaction to the news from gatorcountry.com

Florida offensive line commit Brandon Sandifer-"It is what it is, Coach Muschamp is a great guy and I wish him the best of luck. I'm still committed to Florida though."

Florida offensive line commit Tyler Jordan-"Coach Muschamp is a great coach and a great man. I have the utmost respect for him. I'm still committed to Florida."

Florida offensive line commit George Brown-"Don't worry Florida fans I'm still a Gator. I'm committed fully to Florida."

Florida tight end commit Kalif Jackson-"I am still committed to the University of Florida."

Also had this from K.J. Hill
Arkansas receiver commit K.J. Hill-"I felt it coming but that still doesn't take away my interest from Florida."

I don't like hearing that...

Pulled(PP)pork

they have plenty of time to see who's next, and I bet who IS next will be big time

PP

Großer Kriegschwein

Firing him with 2 games to go gives the recruits plenty of time to think about it. I just don't understand the move to fire him now with 2 games left.

I think its basically "everyone knows I'm getting fired at the end of the year, time to remove all doubt."  Gives the staff a leg up on finding a replacement.
This is my non-signature signature.

AugustaHog

Honestly, I preferred him being there as a dead man walking type.  Even if he had saved his job, there would be tons of speculation that if he didn't have an elite season he'd be gone.  That can't be great for recruiting.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 17, 2014, 06:53:59 am
From what I see, they only have 9 committed, which isn't a lot to choose from. Here's a couple of their commits reaction to the news from gatorcountry.com

Florida offensive line commit Brandon Sandifer-"It is what it is, Coach Muschamp is a great guy and I wish him the best of luck. I'm still committed to Florida though."

Florida offensive line commit Tyler Jordan-"Coach Muschamp is a great coach and a great man. I have the utmost respect for him. I'm still committed to Florida."

Florida offensive line commit George Brown-"Don't worry Florida fans I'm still a Gator. I'm committed fully to Florida."

Florida tight end commit Kalif Jackson-"I am still committed to the University of Florida."

Also had this from K.J. Hill
Arkansas receiver commit K.J. Hill-"I felt it coming but that still doesn't take away my interest from Florida."

I don't like hearing that...

Probably just being nice.

greasy_corner

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 08:28:42 am
Probably just being nice.

He's already verbaled to AR.  No need to be nice.

greenie

I actually think that this will be good for Florida recruiting.  It can bring excitement to a program, especially if they hire Mullen, Stoops, Rodriguez, or someone of that caliber.

Maybe they'll hire HDN!!

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: greasy_corner on November 17, 2014, 08:38:43 am
He's already verbaled to AR.  No need to be nice.

He is being nice, why burn a bridge when there is no need to.  Do you really expect him to start bashing florida?

cbhawg03

Quote from: greenie on November 17, 2014, 08:42:03 am
I actually think that this will be good for Florida recruiting.  It can bring excitement to a program, especially if they hire Mullen, Stoops, Rodriguez, or someone of that caliber.

Maybe they'll hire HDN!!

I can't remember who said it on ESPN, but said that Rodriquez and Mullen wouldn't even be candidates for the job.

Stoops, Malzahn, Freeze and a couple of others were the names that were thrown out.

PorkRinds

Quote from: cbhawg03 on November 17, 2014, 10:56:03 am
I can't remember who said it on ESPN, but said that Rodriquez and Mullen wouldn't even be candidates for the job.

Stoops, Malzahn, Freeze and a couple of others were the names that were thrown out.

I'm not sure it would be wise of any current SEC coach to jump ship to another SEC team.  I could see Gus doing it because, well, he's Gus.  But it just seems like it's almost lateral, no matter where you're at currently if you're in the SEC. 

cbhawg03

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:11:27 am
I'm not sure it would be wise of any current SEC coach to jump ship to another SEC team.  I could see Gus doing it because, well, he's Gus.  But it just seems like it's almost lateral, no matter where you're at currently if you're in the SEC.

Well for Gus or Freeze, you get into the East. I think that may be enough for some

WarPig88

Gives interested coaches plenty of time to make contact through back channels before the craziness of bowl preparations begin.

jackflash

Muschamp is going to coach the last two games, but not the bowl game. Maybe they know who their going to hire already.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on November 17, 2014, 07:11:26 am
they have plenty of time to see who's next, and I bet who IS next will be big time

PP

No question that Florida can not miss on the next hire, but the new hire will need to match the style of WM or they will be in play.

With FU making it clear the new hire will be a offensive minded coach, quite a few of the current recruits on FL's board will probably not fit the new coach's system, which will likely be some form of the spread.

Hoggish1

Quote from: greenie on November 17, 2014, 08:42:03 am

Maybe they'll hire HDN!!

While it would fit WM's current style (LOL), they have already said the next HC will be O-oriented.

Hoggish1

Quote from: cbhawg03 on November 17, 2014, 10:56:03 am

I took that to mean the regular season and the week that follows (Championship games). 

My guess is after Dec 6th, the strictures initially mentioned will be off (includes Mullen).

The only candidates off the table, then, will be the ones who privately indicate, through their agents, that they are not available.

Hoggish1

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 17, 2014, 11:11:27 am
I'm not sure it would be wise of any current SEC coach to jump ship to another SEC team.  I could see Gus doing it because, well, he's Gus. But it just seems like it's almost lateral, no matter where you're at currently if you're in the SEC. 

Well put (by the way, so is Hugh...).

The reason's for the two above would be to get away from the SEC West, but yes, the SEC is all lateral, these days.

Oklahawg

This is overstated, in my opinion. The advantage is if you are a finalist along with Florida. You can swoop in and land a commit. As long as there is a 3rd school or they are committed I don't see it mattering much. UA has done a nice job of retainings its commits when we've had coaching changes.

Stoops is not as good a candidate as many think, including myself until lunch today: Tulsa World noted that he does NOT want to coach against his brother at KY.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Lake City Hog

onebadrubi

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 17, 2014, 07:30:11 pm
What if Florida comes after Shannon?

CBB has said before programs coming after your staff for HC vacancies is basically a compliment.  It's when they come after your coordinators for coordinators spots that something isn't right. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 17, 2014, 07:33:40 pm
CBB has said before programs coming after your staff for HC vacancies is basically a compliment.  It's when they come after your coordinators for coordinators spots that something isn't right.

He'd be an excellent DC choice for whoever gets hired there.

justmaybe

I think bob stoops winds up there. And I think Shannon leaves after this year to Florida very possibly.

Huds_HawgTide

Bobby petrino doesnt mind moving alot
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

BrianWPS!!

Shannon coaching anywhere in Florida would be a huge detriment to our Florida recruiting.  No Bueno

Supermark101

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on November 17, 2014, 09:38:54 pm
Bobby petrino doesnt mind moving alot

lol stir stir stir

He has a 10 million dollor buyout

The_Bionic_Pig

Make no mistake he was fired!! This gives current coaches the opportunity to interview ( Video Teleconference) without the risk of damaging their image at their current programs.

Names (recruits) will continue to pop up especially in early January that have yet to be mentioned yet!

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

DEVIL DOG HOG

If it is a name coach, they will have to wait until after the bowl season.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Hoggish1

It's a move to keep the recruits' attention from wavering.  They will be tuned into who's coming and will hold fast for the two - three weeks while the process is worked out.

Fact is, the new coach may have already been contacted and has agreed to the job—I'm thinking it's holliday with all contact with him being run through his agent, of course... 

Hoggish1

Quote from: immahog on November 17, 2014, 06:26:45 am
not sure how to spell his name but ( jalen M ) the OL is he looking at the gators ???

Among schools other than Arkansas, his name has been associated with FSU.

Hoggish1

Florida has said they want an O-oriented former head coach. 

LJHOG

Wouldn't be unexpected and it would be a good choice, IMO.

NLRHog92

RD said he's checking sometime on Brandon Sandifer, 6-4 335 OG from Warner Robbins, GA. We've offered and were previously on him before he committed in August, but from his twitter, he seems all Gator still.

http://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Sandifer-35562
https://twitter.com/_bsandifer

tbhogfan

Much is going to depend on the new coach and scheme.   I believe that Florida will try to get an experienced and proven head coach, rather than going the "up and comer" route again.  Some currently committed athletes may well change their commitments (or have them changed for them) when the new staff comes aboard.

By Florida standards, the current recruiting class is quite weak, although a new coach and the enthusiasm associated with him could change that quickly.
Go Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

It makes perfect sense..................Fire him and then you have more time to get your ducks in a row on hiring a new coach. Therefore your new coach has more time to get established and heard by the recruits. I think it actually gives you an advantage to fire as soon as you know you are going to do so. The longer recruits have to sit around and wonder and such the longer other coaches can potentially poach your program.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

moses_007

Quote from: Supermark101 on November 17, 2014, 06:48:40 am
He wasn't fired, he stepped down ;)

i don't think it helps us that much. We only have a few spots left, and we have our targets.  Not that we shouldn't try. It would be nice to land Jalen Merrick.
Muschamp was fired, but the AD allowed him to resign to save a little bit of face. 

mbd1475