Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After watching LSU i think everyone can see why we are recruiting harder on offense than defense

Started by tophawg19, November 16, 2014, 07:04:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

the coaches have said all along that they really liked what they had on defense already . The need on offense is greater . we need help at WR, OT , and RB . On defense we need a d-lineman , linebacker and a safety . hoping for help through our walk on program this year too
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TMc

We still have needs everywhere.  Need depth on both sides of the ball. Honestly - we're 2 recruiting classes (and good ones) from getting close to what Bielema wants.., I would think.  I am including this years recruiting class.

tophawg19

this team needs playmakers on offense . the defense has been solid this year especially the last 3 games . i think coaches are fairly comfortable over on defense as far as this class goes
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: TMc on November 16, 2014, 08:23:37 pm
We still have needs everywhere.  Need depth on both sides of the ball. Honestly - we're 2 recruiting classes (and good ones) from getting close to what Bielema wants.., I would think.  I am including this years recruiting class.

This, but the OP isn't necessarily off base. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tusks

I think the coaches realize in this pinball world of offensive college football, you gotta score a lot to win.  Now BB isn't going to the run&shoot but when the team has all the weapons they want on offense I think you will see a multiple pro set offense that has a foundation in running the ball.  They realize they need playmakers on offense to win big and they are going after them.

As far as defense, its just nice to see a really outstanding group of coaches putting together the defense and seeing it as an asset vs a who knows what.

It's a cliche but defense does win championships.....just nowadays you gotta have a prolific offense to go with it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Peter Porker

We signed very good DB and LB classes last year. We need some depth on the OL and some playmakers on the outside for our offense. We also need some depth on the DL.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

AugustaHog

I agree that I think we need 2-3 more OL in this class to be where we really want going into next year.  If we are able to add the JUCO OT Howell, Merrick and Barnett, I see no way in this world that we turn them down.  Quality OT depth will be really thin next year.  Skipper and Wallace would have very few behind them, if we don't add some more quality bodies.  Merrick and Howell would be outstanding additions and likely be difference makers.  If CSP is after a JUCO kid, you have to feel good that he will have an effect.  Barnett is an obvious take regardless of numbers.

intelligence

LSU was absolutely anemic offensively. Every good passing offense we've faced had no problem carving up our defense. don't let one win over a poor offensive team go to your head.

Tim Harris

We need help everywhere.  1 class won't fix our issues at any one position.  Prime example is everyone points to us signing several DBs last year so now they aren't as worried about it.  While that is true in the short term if you don't continue to build on that class then we will be in the same position all over again.

hawgsalot

Quote from: intelligence on November 17, 2014, 07:56:51 am
LSU was absolutely anemic offensively. Every good passing offense we've faced had no problem carving up our defense. don't let one win over a poor offensive team go to your head.

Which passing teams had no problem carving up our D?

forrest city joe

Not true. Bama had all kinds of problems throwing against us. we Cooper had 2 catches for 22 yards. get your facts right before you post.

intelligence

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 17, 2014, 08:04:34 am
Not true. Bama had all kinds of problems throwing against us. we Cooper had 2 catches for 22 yards. get your facts right before you post.

Yeah, that game was played in adverse weather conditions. big difference imo. Alabama had injury concerns. if you wanna argue a good defensive performance from us, it would be Mississippi State, but Dak Prescott had a noticeable limp. Our d played like hair on fire in that one. 

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 17, 2014, 07:58:44 am
We need help everywhere.  1 class won't fix our issues at any one position.  Prime example is everyone points to us signing several DBs last year so now they aren't as worried about it.  While that is true in the short term if you don't continue to build on that class then we will be in the same position all over again.

Correct, you need about 30 kids a year, unfortunately, the 25/85 rules don't allow it.

Peter Porker

Because of the inept recruiting of previous regimes we are having to even out our roster. We cannot hit every position group hard each year. The LOS positions are thin. We need to sign a minimum of 4 OL. I'd prefer 5. We need some help at WR. It's coming. We need some help at DL, particularly interior. It's coming. We do need to sign some DBs, however it's not as pressing of a need as other position groups.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

TomBigBeeHog

Yet, we were the only team to shut them out.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wholehog92

It's funny how one game can change the perceptions of a fanbase.  Our defense is still very thin at LB and safety.  MS leaving will be softened by Eliis's experience, but somebody is going to have to step up.  We have young ones we hope will step up at that time.  They are unproven.  Their backups are obviously an unknown.  Here's the returners at LB:

Ellis SO, Thomas-Smith FR, Ramsey FR, Hackett FR, Heller FR, Harris FR, Josh Williams SO, and Eugene FR.  I think 3 of those are walk-ons and it takes every last one of them to fill the 2 deep.

If you want to look at safety, go ahead.  I was just checking in on the thread and don't really have the time for discussion.  I heard coach on Bo's show say he needed two more classes before he thought he would have a complete roster in his view meaning '15 and '16 so this thread doesn't even almost correlate with that or our roster.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

TDHawgs

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 17, 2014, 08:51:07 am
Yet, we were the only team to shut them out.
Exactly,we also held Bama and Miss State to their season low score. Our defense is getting better each week. This weeks game against Ole Miss will show us all we want to know about our defense.

woodhog14

cbhawg03

Defense tackles very well, which helps a lot of the problems. When you tackle well you force the offense to have to execute in order to pick up a first down or touchdown. Just forcing the team to execute creates problems. Also, seems that they have made the defense easier to understand and that there was a real problem with Ash. Players are just playing different and playing harder.

Still biggest concern is offense IMO. Our defense has been the most consistent part of our team, the offense has cost us though.

Grizzlyfan

If you want to become Alabama you must have starter quality players stacked up waiting their turn.  Not Freshman who are forced to play.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 17, 2014, 08:47:15 am
Because of the inept recruiting of previous regimes we are having to even out our roster. We cannot hit every position group hard each year. The LOS positions are thin. We need to sign a minimum of 4 OL. I'd prefer 5. We need some help at WR. It's coming. We need some help at DL, particularly interior. It's coming. We do need to sign some DBs, however it's not as pressing of a need as other position groups.

I think we will always be a little out of balance regardless of the coaching staff.  I think it is the nature of the beast.  Our recruiting base is not equal to the Texas and Florida's of the world.  Some years the state will be heavy on linemen, other years it may be WR's, etc.  To balance the recruiting classes, we must go to other regions, and it is much harder to do so.  We will strike out more and then you take the best available regardless of position and thus out of balance.

Although this staff appears to be doing a good job, attrition could lead to being out of balance as well.  It's impossible to plan for injuries, transfers, etc, so who you offer is very important.  CBB appears to be doing more background checks before we offer than previous staffs.  We may get a 2** and pass on a 3**, but at the end of the day the 2** is probably better for our program. 

mhuff

intelligence

Oklahawg

We are still not optimally manned at any position. ANY.

Notice what happened when Korliss was out - AC and JWill had to go more than they could go (optimally). Rare to say we need more than three anywhere but we do.

We could even use a 4th TE but really don't have one with Jefferson hurt.

We are rolling the dice on the 2016 in-state class producing more defensive players than we normally get in-state? Maybe?

Bet we nab 1 RB, 1 WR (moving someone to DB/LB), and 2 OL. That hasn't changed. If the offense continues to do their job we won't need a bazillion defensive recruits in this class and next. Normal numbers are a lot closer than we realize.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redswarmrising

on RD's recruiting show,E.K Franks said that they were now focusing on defense to finish out the class

SPAL

intelligence

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 18, 2014, 02:54:24 am
Auburn and Georgia are passing teams? I wish Chubb would have known.

they sure lit our secondary up didn't they. /discussion

mhsbc59

Quote from: intelligence on November 18, 2014, 09:30:25 pm
they sure lit our secondary up didn't they. /discussion

Auburn was throwing the ball in the first half with there backup QB.  I believe the game was tied at half.  IN the second half they ran the ball. first game also.  Texas Tech  throws all over the place yet we stopped them.  Texas A/M yes they carved us up but it took all they had and a big comeback to do so.  a/m i will give you for carving us up.  Georgia had one big quarter where they scored 31 points.  That was due to our Offence putting the D in bad spots and giving Georgia 3 TD.  So as a whole our D has not been "lit-up" by anyone this season.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

VBMark

What say you now?
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

KajunGun

:Hope LSU never gets it that if they got a Quarterback how lethal they could be due to ability to recruit receivers and running backs. They also never use their Tight Ends.
:o

redeye

Quote from: KajunGun on November 29, 2014, 06:42:12 pm
:Hope LSU never gets it that if they got a Quarterback how lethal they could be due to ability to recruit receivers and running backs. They also never use their Tight Ends.
:o

This is why we should be happy.  Our defense has played lights out lately, but our offense is still struggling.  LSU has had a lot of success with great defenses and mediocre offenses.  If we can improve offensively, then we'll have a very good team.

jgphillips3

Our defense has held everyone but Auburn & A&M to few enough points we should have won the game.  Yes, I know Georgia scored on us but we gave them 14 points, maybe 21 points as straight up gifts.  The D was good enough, if the offense had been better, to be a 10-2 team this year.  The offense was a 4-8 team.  The defense gave us two more wins and darn near propelled us to 8-4.  Fortunately, KJ and company will instantly upgrade our offense and our O-line will be more mature and improved year.  The future is bright.  Like most, I'm still worried about game management issues but we will be a consistently tough team every year going forward.

TMc

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 29, 2014, 11:28:07 pm
Our defense has held everyone but Auburn & A&M to few enough points we should have won the game.  Yes, I know Georgia scored on us but we gave them 14 points, maybe 21 points as straight up gifts.  The D was good enough, if the offense had been better, to be a 10-2 team this year.  The offense was a 4-8 team.  The defense gave us two more wins and darn near propelled us to 8-4.  Fortunately, KJ and company will instantly upgrade our offense and our O-line will be more mature and improved year.  The future is bright.  Like most, I'm still worried about game management issues but we will be a consistently tough team every year going forward.

I think the game management issues will slowly go away as our talent level increase.., it will still rear it's ugly head from time to time though. 

redeye

I've heard that you'll usually win if you score at least 24 points, but lose when scoring less.  We've scored 24+ in 7 games this year and have won 5 of those games.  The exceptions were Georgia, where we came back after the game was in hand, and A&M, where our defense let A&M back in.

We lost 4 of the 5 games where we scored fewer then 24, with the exception being the 17-0 win over LSU.