Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I really feel bad for Dan Skipper

Started by 007 License To Squeal, November 16, 2014, 09:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

Well he just got named SEC player of the week, so I think he'll be ok.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Hawg Marshal

Well it's SEC offensive lineman of the week but yeah.

The Hawg Marshal

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Captain Hogthrob

I got mad when it happened because the whistle had not been blown. If you think about it though it was at least an illegal block in the back so the the result is the same except they should have backed the hogs up and replayed the down. It wasn't a smart play in any case and it didn't help the cause. That said I love offensive line guys with a nasty streak, Just not when it hurts the team. I agree that Skipper will figure it out and his upside is limitless.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Captain Hogthrob on November 17, 2014, 07:39:01 pm
I got mad when it happened because the whistle had not been blown. If you think about it though it was at least an illegal block in the back so the the result is the same except they should have backed the hogs up and replayed the down. It wasn't a smart play in any case and it didn't help the cause. That said I love offensive line guys with a nasty streak, Just not when it hurts the team. I agree that Skipper will figure it out and his upside is limitless.

It was inside the tackle box, so it was not an illegal block to the back...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 17, 2014, 06:03:45 pm

So if a player runs out of bounds and the ref fails to blow the whistle, can the defender lay waste to the guy that stepped out of bounds?

Well, you should know the difference, but I will try to help you.  None of this has anything to do with Skipper & the play, since they were nowhere near out of bounds.

Depends.  If the ball carrier is running down the sidelines & barely steps out, or on the line, continues to run down the sidelines & the whistle does not blow.  Yes, the defensive player can tackle him, since play hasn't been stopped & the runner has not been ruled out of bounds.  If there is no whistle, the defensive player believes the runner never went out of bounds.

If, on the other hand (as I am sure you are aware)....a runner clearly runs out of bounds, & you tag him, you will probably get a flag every time. Players always have to be aware of the sidelines, it is their responsibility to know when they cross it.  If you are in bounds, you are taught to play till the whistle.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 18, 2014, 12:50:07 am
Well, you should know the difference, but I will try to help you.  None of this has anything to do with Skipper & the play, since they were nowhere near out of bounds.

Depends.  If the ball carrier is running down the sidelines & barely steps out, or on the line, continues to run down the sidelines & the whistle does not blow.  Yes, the defensive player can tackle him, since play hasn't been stopped & the runner has not been ruled out of bounds.  If there is no whistle, the defensive player believes the runner never went out of bounds.

If, on the other hand (as I am sure you are aware)....a runner clearly runs out of bounds, & you tag him, you will probably get a flag every time. Players always have to be aware of the sidelines, it is their responsibility to know when they cross it.  If you are in bounds, you are taught to play till the whistle.

This is my point.  When the play is clearly over, the whistle doesn't matter so much.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 18, 2014, 08:01:08 am
This is my point.  When the play is clearly over, the whistle doesn't matter so much.
Happy Skipper was recognized for his solid play this week and hope that going forward he makes better choices here and there to help the team win games.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 18, 2014, 08:17:31 am
Happy Skipper was recognized for his solid play this week and hope that going forward he makes better choices here and there to help the team win games.

I think Skipper has the potential to become the best o-lineman the Hogs have ever had!  Gonna be fun watching him develop!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

azhog10

Quote from: Paul on November 16, 2014, 12:03:31 pm
That play & Gaines' targeting are the definition of boneheaded plays
What is Gaines supposed to do? He had already started to lunge at the guy who was going to make a catch. He coudln't anticipate in full speed that the kid was going to fall and the ball would be overthrown. The kid slipped, Gaines was going for the kids mid section to make sure not to hit him in the head. But the kid slipped and Gaines was unable to let up. He led with his hands and not his shoulder or head. I am not upset about the flag. I just think that there should not have been an ejection when someone slips and it happens that fast. Sure it's a rule and I get that. But to say what he did was boneheaded to me is just wrong. Doing what those kids do at full speed and think they can adjust when someone slips at the last second tells me you have no idea what it's like to play sports.

gmarv

I,m really glad for skipper and hope he makes better choices too.also I might add some times even the best make bonehead plays. (jj watts made a couple in a row)

hogsanity

Seeing more and more PF calls on plays around the pile.  Since they have decided to let offensive linemen push the whole thing, you get defenders jumping in late, and O-linemen pushing them back. Seeing more calls on both sides in those situations.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Piggfoot

Quote from: azhog10 on November 18, 2014, 08:24:50 am
What is Gaines supposed to do? He had already started to lunge at the guy who was going to make a catch. He coudln't anticipate in full speed that the kid was going to fall and the ball would be overthrown. The kid slipped, Gaines was going for the kids mid section to make sure not to hit him in the head. But the kid slipped and Gaines was unable to let up. He led with his hands and not his shoulder or head. I am not upset about the flag. I just think that there should not have been an ejection when someone slips and it happens that fast. Sure it's a rule and I get that. But to say what he did was boneheaded to me is just wrong. Doing what those kids do at full speed and think they can adjust when someone slips at the last second tells me you have no idea what it's like to play sports.
Give it up. Look again. He was not going for the mid-section and yes I played football. Head shouder, arms, hands, ect. doesn't matter. If the head and neck is the first contact then penalty.
Defensive backs are taught to defend passes using precise timing and direction. Instead of using his forearm he could have used his hands to contact the chest first. He didn't.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pork Twain

Pretty sure he knows the rules and knew that leading with his head was not good.  Just a mental mistake that we cannot be making.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

mbd1475

On a disciplined team like the one we have, mistakes tend to lead to growth.  I'm not worried a bit under the leadership we have, and have full confidence that Skipper and Gaines are looking forward and not backward.

Pork Twain

Quote from: CattleCorn on November 20, 2014, 07:18:32 am
On a disciplined team like the one we have, mistakes tend to lead to growth.  I'm not worried a bit under the leadership we have, and have full confidence that Skipper and Gaines are looking forward and not backward.
Could not agree more

wildhogman

The rule isn't the problem. the problem is once again they left it to the judgement of officials who were so good at seeing the difference between a deliberate facemask and an inadverdant facemask. Isnt that why "all" facemask penalties are 15 yards again?

Jamie Jones

The play was NOT over. The whistle had not blown and if the running back comes out of that pile, ala Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith, that block could have sprung him. If the play is considered over, every official has a whistle they should blow. Skipper could very well be a marked man, but he has to be afforded the same rules as everyone else.

I don't want him to change anything except his awareness of the fact that if it's close, don't chance it. But on that particular play, he has to play to the whistle. If the back comes out of the pile, and that man makes the tackle, Dan gets blasted for just standing around because the play isn't over. Really a no win situation.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jamie Jones on November 20, 2014, 09:30:53 am
The play was NOT over. The whistle had not blown and if the running back comes out of that pile, ala Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith, that block could have sprung him. If the play is considered over, every official has a whistle they should blow. Skipper could very well be a marked man, but he has to be afforded the same rules as everyone else.

I don't want him to change anything except his awareness of the fact that if it's close, don't chance it. But on that particular play, he has to play to the whistle. If the back comes out of the pile, and that man makes the tackle, Dan gets blasted for just standing around because the play isn't over. Really a no win situation.
Too late, someone already said the same thing and he still has to play smarter to cut down on costly penalties.

Gaines took three steps after the receiver had let the ball go through his hands, the receivers was falling backwards unable to protect himself hence the term defenseless. At all times it is recognized by all officials that two steps is all that is required for a pull up. Get over it because it was a dumb play.     

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Jamie Jones on November 20, 2014, 09:30:53 am

The player Skipper bulldozed had his back to the pile, was several feet away from the pile and was pretty much just standing there looking in the other direction. If the ball carrier had miraculously come out of that pile and continued to run the guy Skipper ran over would have never seen a thing.

It was a cheap shot. All of this was pointed out yesterday by former Razorback Shawn Andrews who is still a huge Hog fan and would not have said it if it were a legitimate block.

moses_007

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2014, 10:55:37 am
You can't shove a guy down from
Behind even if the play is live.
Exactly.  It was a blatant push down and he deserved the flag.  Bielema needs to bench him until he agrees to quit doing crap like that.  He's got a temper and it shows.

oldhawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 20, 2014, 07:15:54 am
Pretty sure he knows the rules and knew that leading with his head was not good.  Just a mental mistake that we cannot be making.

This is true.  However, if you have played the game (and I'll assume you have) then you know that there are times that emotions take over and you just have to have a collision with someone.  Little thought is given to what part of of the body you lead with.  Yes, he should have used better judgement, but sometimes, in that moment of decision, a vicious hit seems more appropriate.

He's paying the price, he'll miss the first half of this weeks game, but I hope he brings his intensity back with him, along with a little bit better "judgement." 

thebignasty

It was a cheap shot.

Even if it was borderline (it wasnt) Skipper has earned the reputation and the target, and clearly isn't too bothered by costing the team if he's still taking cheap shots at guys. 

No sympathy.  Wish he'd grow up.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2014, 11:01:11 am
The player Skipper bulldozed had his back to the pile, was several feet away from the pile and was pretty much just standing there looking in the other direction. If the ball carrier had miraculously come out of that pile and continued to run the guy Skipper ran over would have never seen a thing.

It was a cheap shot. All of this was pointed out yesterday by former Razorback Shawn Andrews who is still a huge Hog fan and would not have said it if it were a legitimate block.

...have we ever had a player who just snaps like that and does stuff without thinking ?  I appreciate Coach B. taking up for him and also -
I've seen players blind side our guys before with no call but dang, Skips got to know they are watching him...

luv luv his aggressive play...and I'd take a penalty like that ever game because it sends a message to all of them on the other side.

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Pork Twain

Quote from: oldhawg on November 20, 2014, 11:33:34 am
This is true.  However, if you have played the game (and I'll assume you have) then you know that there are times that emotions take over and you just have to have a collision with someone.  Little thought is given to what part of of the body you lead with.  Yes, he should have used better judgement, but sometimes, in that moment of decision, a vicious hit seems more appropriate.

He's paying the price, he'll miss the first half of this weeks game, but I hope he brings his intensity back with him, along with a little bit better "judgement." 
That is why I said it was a mental mistake and we still need to clean up a few of those.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2014, 11:01:11 am

Well, next time Skipper is in that situation, maybe he'll simply stand there and let the other team recover a fumble, tackle the ball carrier that just broke open, or even take a shot from someone else. Of course he can always plead his case that the play was over... and win.  ::)

hogsanity

Quote from: Jamie Jones on November 20, 2014, 02:02:59 pm
Well, next time Skipper is in that situation, maybe he'll simply stand there and let the other team recover a fumble, tackle the ball carrier that just broke open, or even take a shot from someone else. Of course he can always plead his case that the play was over... and win.  ::)

Really, that is what you come up with after people who have played the game professionally ( andrews ) and covered it for 30+ years ( Irwin ) both state it was a cheap shot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

dumb

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 16, 2014, 10:57:02 am
There was nothing illegal about what Skipper did there.

A block in the back is not illegal ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

razorbacker3

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 20, 2014, 02:42:12 pm
A block in the back is not illegal ???

Not when it's in the tackle box. Coach stated he was playing thru to the whistle as he has been taught. He did nothing wrong and I hope he plays the same . It was a BAD call. Period. He was named OL of the week so I think the selectors didn't hold it against him.
The DT he hit might keep his head out of his arse until the whistle blows from now on.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorbacker3 on November 20, 2014, 03:18:12 pm
Not when it's in the tackle box. Coach stated he was playing thru to the whistle as he has been taught. He did nothing wrong and I hope he plays the same . It was a BAD call. Period. He was named OL of the week so I think the selectors didn't hold it against him.
The DT he hit might keep his head out of his arse until the whistle blows from now on.

Not really sure how hitting a guy from behind, that is not even in the play, is playing through the whistle. It was pretty much like the trip against A&M, it was on a guy no where near the play, and was totally unnecessary.   It has no chance of benefitting his team, but does have the potential to cost his team 15 yards.

razorbacker3

Quote from: hogsanity on November 20, 2014, 03:24:36 pm
Not really sure how hitting a guy from behind, that is not even in the play, is playing through the whistle. It was pretty much like the trip against A&M, it was on a guy no where near the play, and was totally unnecessary.   It has no chance of benefitting his team, but does have the potential to cost his team 15 yards.

Because the whistle hadn't blown. It was still a live play. I don't get where you say it was nowhere near the play. Skipper cross the plane of the play to make the hit. Yes he hit him in the back. Because it was in the tackle box as was the play, it is legal until the whistle blows.
Had it been another player that made the hit, no flag would have been thrown. Because it was Skipper, they threw it.
That's how I saw it and others see it that way also. Others see it your way.

forrest city joe

Dan Skipper could care less what some of you people think. and i don't blame him one bit. where were you people when a Bama player hit him twice in the throat, and skipper stood there and did nothing. and they called it on both players. what are you do gooders excuse for that ? i am sick and tired of the attacks on Skipper.

Switchback

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 20, 2014, 03:58:57 pm
Dan Skipper could care less what some of you people think. and i don't blame him one bit. where were you people when a Bama player hit him twice in the throat, and skipper stood there and did nothing. and they called it on both players. what are you do gooders excuse for that ? i am sick and tired of the attacks on Skipper.

Couldn't agree more!  They just guy plays 100 mph.  CBB pointed out on the SEC film room that when HH caught the ball on the drag play Skipper had his head down sprinting 30 yards down the field to get in the play.

I think people are not used to seeing such a high motor on an offensive lineman and automatically think he's being dirty when he is just going all out.

Mike Irwin

Did you watch the play? The guy he hit from behind was nowhere near the ball and had his back turned from the play about one second before the whistle was blown.

As I said before Shawn Andrews played that position for Arkansas and in the NFL. He said on the radio yesterday that it was something Skipper should not have done.

Skipper has an anger management problem that Bielema has acknowledged. The refs are targeting him and that's not good for the team.

Pork Twain

Quote from: razorbacker3 on November 20, 2014, 03:18:12 pm
As has been discussed, it was not called a block in the back (not getting sucked into that again), but if it would have been, it would have been a good call.  The tackle box extends 5 yards to the left and right of the center and only 3 yards from the LOS, but once a OL leaves the tackle box, they are not allowed to reenter it with the same ability to block in the back without a whistle.  The call was unsportsmanlike conduct, which is up to the official.  If he sees a guy that had a target on his back for being a nasty player, hit another guy in the back at the end of an all but dead play, he is going to throw the flag more times than not.  The guy with the target on his back has to play smarter to save his team from flags and not kill drives.

I LOVE THIS guy as a Razorback but he has to play with an awareness that he does have a target and that his hotheadedness will cost the team, it cost us twice vs aTm and had the chance of killing a game-winning drive vs LSU.  Mental mistakes are the easiest thing to clean up, as he already has plenty of talent.

Pork Twain

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 20, 2014, 03:58:57 pm
Nobody is attacking anyone but you have never been known for accurate posting.

mbd1475

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2014, 04:37:30 pm
Skipper has an anger management problem that Bielema has acknowledged. The refs are targeting him and that's not good for the team.

I personally love the fact that he has an anger management problem.  At his size, put a harness on it, ride it to the SEC championship!  Just gotta make sure he doesn't turn around and bite the rider :)

Lake City Hog

He must learn to put the team first and his own ego second. And guys, that is what it is all about. He thinks he has to win every battle and he needs to understand that winning the war is way more important.

THAT is what will make him successful.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 21, 2014, 08:25:40 am
He must learn to put the team first and his own ego second. And guys, that is what it is all about. He thinks he has to win every battle and he needs to understand that winning the war is way more important.

THAT is what will make him successful.

That's not what will make him successful...otherwise you would be playing left tackle.

DS will be just fine, learning from some of the best in the business.  A little nastiness can be tolerated from a dominant left tackle; the good far outweighs the bad.

What he did was deserving of the penalty...and I'm ok with that as long as he (and the rest of the line) continues to impose their will on the opposition!

UhYeaJoe

I'll stir it up a little more. The whistle does not kill the play, only the action truly kills the play. No whistle is not a free pass to take someone out. Some stadiums so loud no one can even hear the whistle sometimes. If coaches are still teaching players to hit until the whistle, they are running a risk of such a foul.

Tackle box doesn't apply if you just run up & blast someone in the back. Also, PF is correct call in that situation, not block in the back.

Unfortunately, players are responsible for knowing what is happening on the field. This especially applies to sideline plays.

Jamie Jones

So, the whistle doesn't stop the plays anymore?? The players have to judge for themselves when the play has ceased?? BS! If there is a fumble in that play, and the player that Skipper hit is allowed to just stand there untouched until he recovers it, then the lack of a whistle would UNDOUBTEDLY come into play! The SEC officials are some of the worst in CFB. If they want the at to end, they need to use that whistle they have hanging around their necks.

UhYeaJoe

Well.... I haven't actually seen the play.

Didn't know it was 2 players going for a fumble. I thought it was a regular scrimmage run.

Or are you talking about 2 completely different scenarios?

hogsanity

Quote from: Jamie Jones on November 21, 2014, 10:09:04 am
So, the whistle doesn't stop the plays anymore?? The players have to judge for themselves when the play has ceased?? BS! If there is a fumble in that play, and the player that Skipper hit is allowed to just stand there untouched until he recovers it, then the lack of a whistle would UNDOUBTEDLY come into play! The SEC officials are some of the worst in CFB. If they want the at to end, they need to use that whistle they have hanging around their necks.

Some of you people are so dense I am shocked you were able to figure out how to pats on a message board.

Shorttimer

Coaches love players who play to the whistle.  But there is a significant difference between sustaining a block through the whistle (which NEVER gets called) or cleaning up around the pile at the end of a dead play (which ALWAYS gets called).  Had Skip been locked up on that guy before the play ended, we wouldn't be talking about this.