Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I really feel bad for Dan Skipper

Started by 007 License To Squeal, November 16, 2014, 09:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 16, 2014, 01:59:48 pm
The play had NOT ended.  That's why they blow a whistle.......

The guys in the pile were still going after it too.

The play was not over.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 01:50:11 pm
If he ever moved 5 yards laterally from the center or 3 yards from the LOS, then he was.  I will watch it again tomorrow, but I was pretty sure he was out of the box in both directions.

Exactly how big do you think the tackle box is?

I've watched and here is what you will notice, Skipper blocks upfield and doesn't go outside of the zone. The LSU player does not have his back turned when Skipper first starts towards him for the block nor has the whistle been called. Skipper looks upfield sees the LSU player standing facing the ball as the pile forms and lunges to try to make the block. At this point in the play he is probably thinking he can push the pile forward. The pile stops and the LSU player turns right as Skipper finally gets to him. If Skipper did anything wrong it was being too slow.

jfred59

Quote from: Danny J on November 16, 2014, 10:56:10 am
Play was still live....whistle had not blown. Refs f^&*ed up....again.

Not SEC refs?  You jest?

rude1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 16, 2014, 01:42:11 pm
No I don't assume to know what Skipper thought. What I expect is the refs to call the rules correctly. A block in the back is legal inside the tackle box as long as you don't go low.  The play is not dead until the whistle blows. The whistle had not blown. You can say he shouldn't have hit him but it wasn't illegal by the rules. Therefore it is a bad call. That you are defending the refs for making a call that is not illegal according to the rules is the only thing that is ridiculous.
Don't remember the particular call but if it was "a personal foul",doesn't mean it was the block itself, could be that the ref viewed the play as unnecessary roughness. So while everyone is harping on a blocking rule, a personal foul can be called when no particular rule has been violated but the ref views a play being unnecessary and not part of the play. For instance, the QB throws a pick but is out of the play, the defense under the disguise of playing till the whistle can't seek out the QB and de cleat him with a block. Does anyone remember what the actual call was on the field?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: rude1 on November 16, 2014, 02:10:36 pm
Don't remember the particular call but if it was "a personal foul",doesn't mean it was the block itself, could be that the ref viewed the play as unnecessary roughness. So while everyone is harping on a blocking rule, a personal foul can be called when no particular rule has been violated but the ref views a play being unnecessary and not part of the play. For instance, the QB throws a pick but is out of the play, the defense under the disguise of playing till the whistle can't seek out the QB and de cleat him with a block. Does anyone remember what the actual call was on the field?

Call on the field was a personal foul after the play is over. Also if you watch the replay Beckwith is facing the pile when Skipper first lunges for the block. He turns as Skipper gets there. He didn't purposefully  go after a guy with his back turned.

Pork Twain

Quote from: rude1 on November 16, 2014, 02:10:36 pm
This sounds more correct to me, I just started with the blocking nonsense because that is all this thread turned into.  As I said earlier, if what you are doing cannot help the team, don't do it.  There was absolutely nothing good that could have come from hitting a guy in the back as he is standing there looking at the pile.  Nothing...don't do it.  The ONLY possible thing that could come from it is a flag, especially if you are a marked men.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 16, 2014, 02:14:49 pm
  Call on the field was a personal foul after the play is over. Also if you watch the replay Beckwith is facing the pile when Skipper first lunges for the block. He turns as Skipper gets there. He didn't purposefully  go after a guy with his back turned.
If his actions served no positive outcome for the Hogs, why do it?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 02:16:48 pm
If his actions served no positive outcome for the Hogs, why do it?

Watch the replay, when he makes his move to Beckwith the pile is moving and Beckwith is facing the pile.

rude1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 16, 2014, 02:18:56 pm
Watch the replay, when he makes his move to Beckwith the pile is moving and Beckwith is facing the pile.
But what was he going to gain by getting a hit on a guy watching the pile? Neither was going to make any impact on a play coming to a close, only Skipper did by getting flagged for 15. Thank goodness the team overcame him this time, but it's not fair to the team for him to continue to do these sort of things. He has already cost them one possible win with his shenanigans.

Pork Twain

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 16, 2014, 02:18:56 pm
That pile is going nowhere.

This guy is my favorite Hog, but I think he needs to clean up his game and give the refs less to target.  Being a target does not help the team.

hawgfan4life

1.  No block in the back in the box.
2.  Not a late hit if whistle has not blown.
3.  Players have to play snap to whistle or they can't play at the level required to be successful.
4.  If we get a penalty every once in a while, I will live with the penalty and keep the effort and attitude.
5.  This is football.  Not paddycake game!

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 16, 2014, 02:32:20 pm
1.  No block in the back in the box.
2.  Not a late hit if whistle has not blown.
3.  Players have to play snap to whistle or they can't play at the level required to be successful.
4.  If we get a penalty every once in a while, I will live with the penalty and keep the effort and attitude.
5.  This is football.  Not paddycake game!
Bad decisions cost us vs aTm.  This is not a one time thing.  He just needs to clean up his game in order to be more effective for the team.

Suh is a great DL in the NFL but he makes poor choices that cost his team and cause him to have a target on his back.  That is good for nobody.

spiritof92

I'm more concerned about the way he sometimes allows d-linemen to take advantage of his height and moves him back 10 yards.  Purely a technique issue that can be corrected.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: rude1 on November 16, 2014, 02:26:14 pm
But what was he going to gain by getting a hit on a guy watching the pile? Neither was going to make any impact on a play coming to a close, only Skipper did by getting flagged for 15. Thank goodness the team overcame him this time, but it's not fair to the team for him to continue to do these sort of things. He has already cost them one possible win with his shenanigans.

It is the job of an O lineman to continue blocking until the whistle blows.......and that is EXACTLY what he did.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

pigture perfect

The play was not called a late hit, so that takes away the argument of whether the whistle had blown or not from the equation. It was not an illegal block in the back because of it's location on the field. It was called unnecessary roughness, because the LSU player while facing the pile had already pulled up and was not an active participant in the scrum. If Skipper wanted to hit someone, hit someone in the scrum. Love his aggressiveness, but his control efforts need to be worked on.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pork Twain

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 16, 2014, 03:00:19 pm
The play was not called a late hit, so that takes away the argument of whether the whistle had blown or not from the equation. It was not an illegal block in the back because of it's location on the field. It was called unnecessary roughness, because the LSU player while facing the pile had already pulled up and was not an active participant in the scrum. If Skipper wanted to hit someone, hit someone in the scrum. Love his aggressiveness, but his control efforts need to be worked on.
Good job getting us back on track and you are on target

007 License To Squeal

If the ball carrier had evaded the pile (which has happened), the LSU player would have been a threat.  Therefore, Skipper's job was to block defenders until the play is blown dead.  In other words, the LSU player was a potential tackler until the play is over......whether he is just standing around or not.

Pork Twain

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 16, 2014, 03:05:50 pm
If the ball carrier had evaded the pile (which has happened), the LSU player would have been a threat.  Therefore, Skipper's job was to block defenders until the play is blown dead.  In other words, the LSU player was a potential tackler until the play is over......whether he is just standing around or not.
Arkansas runner was going nowhere and since Skipper was looking at the pile before he hit the guy, he knew that.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 03:08:44 pm
Arkansas runner was going nowhere and since Skipper was looking at the pile before he hit the guy, he knew that.

Neither of us knows what Skipper "knew".  I submit that he was merely doing his job.

pigture perfect

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 16, 2014, 03:05:50 pm
If the ball carrier had evaded the pile (which has happened), the LSU player would have been a threat.  Therefore, Skipper's job was to blocrmk defenders until the play is blown dead.  In other words, the LSU player was a potential tackler until the play is over......whether he is just standing around or not.
bit of grasping at straws. That penalty would have been called in any league. Just let it go.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pork Twain

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 16, 2014, 03:10:59 pm
Neither of us knows what Skipper "knew".  I submit that he was merely doing his job.
I submit that he knows there is a target on his back and he needs to clean it up a little to help the team.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 03:14:09 pm
I submit that he knows there is a target on his back and he needs to clean it up a little to help the team.

Agreed.......I've made my point.   I'm moving on.

Pork Twain

Pig In The City

I'm not going to sweat these calls.  Skipper needs to come out and play smash mouth every down.  He needs to realize that players can take care of themselves though.  Just play his game.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 03:08:44 pm

You need to watch the replay, the pile was moving when Skipper lunged at the defender and the whistle hadn't been blown yet. Skipper did what he was supposed to do, he found himself with no one to block, he looked up-field and saw the defender and went to make a block. By the time he got there the pile had stopped and the defender turned his back a split second before he hit him.  The argument you have is that Skipper made a boneheaded play but he did what he should be taught to do, play until the whistle and look for defenders to block.

rude1

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 16, 2014, 02:59:51 pm
It is the job of an O lineman to continue blocking until the whistle blows.......and that is EXACTLY what he did.
If that's how you seen if fine, unfortunately the guys with the stripped shirts see it differently, and my advice to Dan would be pay more attention to those guys, as what they see matters.

rude1

Don't matter to the Skipper support group. He was flagged because what he did was take a cheap shot on a guy not involved in the play. Same thing as I mentioned on why you can't seek out and destroy the QB after he throws a pick, unless he is actively in the play trying to bring down the ball carrier.

LRAFBHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 16, 2014, 09:45:10 am
The crap they keep calling on Skipper is pure BS. he gets punched and hit late and they call nothing. and yet they call everything he does. and a lot of things he does not do. i wish coach B would go off on these sec ref cheaters. they won't let Skipper play. and keep calling this BS that's killing our team. i am sick of it. i feel sorry for Skipper and our team.

Joe, you are the biggest CRY BABY on the board.  If yo are so dissatisfied with the SEC. Go to the SunBelt, go anywhere.  You speak constantly of "Bias".  Get a life. 

buldozer

The call was borderline but Skipper knows better because he knows more than likely he will NOT get away with that.... he has to smarten up and continue to mature. The great news is this time it didn't cost us the game!

Quote from: CattleCorn on November 16, 2014, 12:00:12 pm
I bet if Dan Skipper was in the room with you turds, you would not be telling him what he needs to do.
Are you saying he has no self control and would do
Something stupid?

chuggs33

No whistle, guys in the pile still pushing and shoving, I thought what he did was no penalty at all.  He was protecting his teammates from yet another LSU player "piling it on."  IMO

BorderPatrol

November 16, 2014, 06:24:57 pm #131 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:30:31 am by BorderPatrol
You jack wagons taking up for Skipper and his penalties would be the first ones raising hell if the exact thing happened against Arkansas and the refs had not called it.

Dude is a great player, he just plays out of control at times.

bp

hogs derriere

Some of you guys don't no crap about football. It is not a block in the back. The whistle had not blown. If the defense strips the ball and a fumble occurs it is a live play. Enough said right there IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A LIVE BALL. As a linemen you are TAUGHT to block until the whistle blows regardless.

Pork Twain

It was an unneeded play that cost us yards, again...  Have to cut out unneeded mental errors.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pork Twain

Theolesnort

Bottom line when the refs told Bielema the play was over, Bielema should have told them it is your job to blow the whistle not Skippers and yes you can push someone down from  behind on the line of scrimmage, just don't do it down the field. The refs were at fault there.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

lefty08

Always keep your head on a swivel and never ever turn your back on the pile. 7th grade football 101
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Cinco de Hogo

How many times can you say "block in the back" when you already know it wasn't called that.  Geez, Rohan Gaines wasn't called for pass interference either if you need to know.

Piggfoot

Skipper's call was not Block in the Back nor unnecessary roughness. It was
UNSPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT, a discretionary call officials make. In the rules there is a list of things considered unsportsmanlike but it is not limited.
It is very much like talking back to a police officer and risking getting tagged with  resisting arrest. The key word is discretionary.
I noticed Skipper earlier in the year pulling players off the pile instead of allowing them to disintagle slowly. He was doing the officials job. I suspect he was warned at sometime to not do this. I don't know. I don't know how his demeanor is interpreted by the officials but it is obvious he needs to play more under more control.
Fans have been watching "Blind side" too much. Believe me pushing a player back to the bus in the real world will get flagged 9 out of 10 times.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Virgil

Dan is creating the perception of being a cheap shot.  He drives me nuts when he does the crap he keeps doing.  You'd think he'd learned his lesson by now.  When you have a target on yourself you have to learn to think before you react. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

mhuff

Quote from: buldozer on November 16, 2014, 03:33:07 pm
The call was borderline but Skipper knows better because he knows more than likely he will NOT get away with that.... he has to smarten up and continue to mature. The great news is this time it didn't cost us the game!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 16, 2014, 11:28:10 am

I hate to say it but the play was over, blown whistle or not. The LSU player was not piling on trying to stop the ball carrier. He was standing straight up and not in the play. Skipper pushed him from behind. It was a bonehead reaction and a cheap shot.
I don't like that kind of play. It is poor sportsmanship and in the end does nothing to intimidate the opponent. The 15 yard penalty can be a back breaker.

So...if the whistle doesn't mean anything as you just indicated...why do the ref's blow them.?? Do the players just get together & decide when a play is over.....or do we let the ref's tell us when the play is over?  Right now, the ref's do it by blowing the whistle.  Until the whistle blows, the play is still live.  That is the rule.  If Hogville has changed this rule, someone needs to let the officials & players know about it before the next game.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

3kgthog

If Skipper played for LSU, you would be saying he needed to sit a game.

Face it, he keeps making bad decisions and has yet to learn. You can be hardnosed and aggressive without being stupid. Spaight manages to do it despite lighting guys up. Why can't Dan do the same? He's gotten his rep by earning it, not because the refs are picking on him.

OTTER

It was a bogus call, Skipper got screwed, we got screwed, and that's the way it was.  Period.  Overall, the coaches have done a good job getting him to play well under control and he is responding better to what they are asking.  He will do well against Ole Miss too, and that's all that matters now.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 16, 2014, 12:00:08 pm
I'll have to go back and look, but was the play inside the tackle box?
Yes, it wasn't illegal in any way.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: mizzouman on November 16, 2014, 11:46:38 am
Assume the play was not over. Do do call a block in the back, clipping against Skipper? 

Play was over, regardless of the whistle.  LSU player was in the process of turning the other way...because the play was over.  Got shoved in the back by Skipper.

No, you don't call block in the back.  In fact, you could have had a no call...but the personal foul call was not wrong, either.

That's how I remember it.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 17, 2014, 05:34:21 pm
So...if the whistle doesn't mean anything as you just indicated...why do the ref's blow them.?? Do the players just get together & decide when a play is over.....or do we let the ref's tell us when the play is over?  Right now, the ref's do it by blowing the whistle.  Until the whistle blows, the play is still live.  That is the rule.  If Hogville has changed this rule, someone needs to let the officials & players know about it before the next game.

So if a player runs out of bounds and the ref fails to blow the whistle, can the defender lay waste to the guy that stepped out of bounds?

SemperFi

The call, even if it's eventually proven to be well within the rules of the game, was just a silly, ticky-tack call that the Ref would have been better off giving Skipper a warning. You see it in every game and several times throughout every game and unless some dude comes flying into the scrum and sends a guy into the bleachers the Ref's generally just pull guys out and send them to their respective sides of the field. The way this one comes across is that Skipper was being targeted by the Official(s). There are much better ways to manage the game than what we saw.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan