Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I really feel bad for Dan Skipper

Started by 007 License To Squeal, November 16, 2014, 09:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

007 License To Squeal

Once again, the refs picked on him unjustly.  He did nothing to deserve a PF.  What makes his "infraction" appear worse than it was is the fact that re-plays are always run in   slower speed than "real-time".  The play was still "live" when Skipper blocked the LSU player.

Even on the "targeting" infraction by one of our defenders, the slow-down of the replay eliminated the true momentum and speed of the contact.

Another thing I found odd was the fact that LSU's running backs were moving forward BEFORE the ball was snapped.  There was no excuse for the refs to miss that.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

forrest city joe

The crap they keep calling on Skipper is pure BS. he gets punched and hit late and they call nothing. and yet they call everything he does. and a lot of things he does not do. i wish coach B would go off on these sec ref cheaters. they won't let Skipper play. and keep calling this BS that's killing our team. i am sick of it. i feel sorry for Skipper and our team.

Steef

Coach mentioned that penalty in his presser. Said the hit came before the whistle and the zebras told him (Coach) that the play was dead.

"Well, HE doesn't know that!"

Anyway, I get the impression Coach told Skipper don't sweat it. It's just bad zebras.

Lake City Hog

Skipper has to be smart enough to realize that he has a big bulls eye on his back with the refs and be CAREFUL! I am a fan, but these senseless penalties have to stop. For all real purposes that play was OVER and he has to know that and not jeopardize the team.

Skipper has 2 things that he must work on between now and next season, put on some more "good" weight and become a more mature player. If he can accomplish that the sky is the limit for this kid.

Torqued pork

He has a rep among officials and will have it the rest of college career. Opponents won't hesitate to take advantage.

tophawg19

the penalty against skipper was right . he shoved the player late and knew it . He has the reputation and won't get the benefit of doubt till he cleans it up. He is too good to let this keep happening. he will have to play to the letter of the rule. I like the way he goes to protect the qb and rb's in the pile but he must be smart about it . kind of like in baseball , once you know the ump's strike zone you have to make it work for you. he just has to know when to pull off , he's making it to easy for the ref's
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

farmhawg

Quote from: steefhog on November 16, 2014, 09:47:14 am
Coach mentioned that penalty in his presser. Said the hit came before the whistle and the zebras told him (Coach) that the play was dead.

"Well, HE doesn't know that!"

Anyway, I get the impression Coach told Skipper don't sweat it. It's just bad zebras.
BS. The play was over and he pushed the guy from behind. The right call was made there but they missed other calls that should have been called on lsu.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 16, 2014, 10:02:55 am
the penalty against skipper was right . he shoved the player late and knew it . He has the reputation and won't get the benefit of doubt till he cleans it up. He is too good to let this keep happening. he will have to play to the letter of the rule. I like the way he goes to protect the qb and rb's in the pile but he must be smart about it . kind of like in baseball , once you know the ump's strike zone you have to make it work for you. he just has to know when to pull off , he's making it to easy for the ref's

If by "right" you mean a little low-class, I'll give you that, but the whistle wasn't blown yet.  I saw it and thought it was stupid, but not illegal.  He's got a target on him, that's for sure. 

azhog10

What about the no call when the LSU guy blasted Skipper!!!

The Hawg Marshal

The refs didn't call some on LSU that they should have. But unfortunately the one on Skipper was correct.As for him having a target on his back he may have one but it doesn't have to be a death knell. Remember the dude from Misstake( Dillon Day) that got suspended for stomping people? He has played very clean since then, with no more penalties that I'm aware of . Skip will figure it out.

MTBrookHog

My only concern with Mr. Dan Skipper is that he gets so focused on his personal game that he loses focus on the big picture (whats best for the game). I feel the tripping penalty against the Aggies was because he personally got beat on that one play and had to get in the last hit between him and the guy he was up against. He might have gotten the last hit, but it cost us a touchdown and possibly the game. Last night on the late hit, he was doing whatever it took to get us an extra yard or two. It cost us 15 minus yards.

I love Skippers mentality. He goes into the game HATING anyone not dressed like him in the game. If he can mature into not letting his personal gameplay affect the big picture of the game, he could leave his time with the Hogs as the best lineman to ever play for us.

farmhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on November 16, 2014, 10:15:59 am
What about the no call when the LSU guy blasted Skipper!!!
The one where skipper acted?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dark Helmet Hog

Wrong. The whistle had not blown. He was doing what he was taught... play till the whistle blows.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: farmhawg on November 16, 2014, 10:08:20 am
BS. The play was over and he pushed the guy from behind. The right call was made there but they missed other calls that should have been called on lsu.

The whistle had not blown. The play was not over. The replay clearly shows this.

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 16, 2014, 10:51:20 am
Wrong. The whistle had not blown. He was doing what he was taught... play till the whistle blows.

You can't shove a guy down from
Behind even if the play is live.

pigbacon

Quote from: farmhawg on November 16, 2014, 10:48:28 am
The one where skipper acted?

Yeah that was lame or he is really weak. One or the other. I suspect he has learned alot this season and will become an even more dominant O-lineman next year.

Danny J

Play was still live....whistle had not blown. Refs f^&*ed up....again.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2014, 10:55:37 am
You can't shove a guy down from
Behind even if the play is live.

There was nothing illegal about what Skipper did there.

Hog in MO

We can argue all we want about whether the call was justified or not, but bottom line is Dan is a marked man and he has to know that. Anything borderline is going to be called against him. Its a fine line he has to walk - the very thing that makes him such an effective player is the same thing that's going to get him in trouble. He has to learn when to turn it on and when to turn it off.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Hog in MO on November 16, 2014, 10:59:34 am
We can argue all we want about whether the call was justified or not, but bottom line is Dan is a marked man and he has to know that. Anything borderline is going to be called against him. Its a fine line he has to walk - the very thing that makes him such an effective player is the same thing that's going to get him in trouble. He has to learn when to turn it on and when to turn it off.

Fair enough, but fans should lay off him when it's a BS call.

rude1

Come on guys whistle or no whistle, what was Skipper gaining by coming in late blasting a guy who wasn't looking in the back when the play was obviously over? At some point this kid has to figure out what's a smart play and what isn't. Sure play hard till the whistle but know when a play is dead and know the difference in doing something that's helping the play and just doing something that amounts to taking a free shot, the latter is what's getting him penalized. I was just glad to see the team didn't allow that play to stop them, they were determined last night not to be denied no matter what and it was a thing of beauty to see.

Steef

Just telling you what Coach said. You can argue with him.  ;)

ballz2thewall

seriously;  are you guys saying that call was bogus ignoring what actually happened?

the play was over.  the all was completely legit.

and the "flop" he pulled, while ignored, was probably seen by the refs.  that didn't help him either.
The rest of the frog.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quit being an idiot, You play to the whistle. That's the rules.

It was not the right call. I did think it could have been called a block in the back.

Chief Mac

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 16, 2014, 11:21:36 am
seriously;  are you guys saying that call was bogus ignoring what actually happened?

the play was over.  the all was completely legit.

Whistle had not been blown. Players are always taught to play to the whistle. It was a BS call
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Piggfoot

I hate to say it but the play was over, blown whistle or not. The LSU player was not piling on trying to stop the ball carrier. He was standing straight up and not in the play. Skipper pushed him from behind. It was a bonehead reaction and a cheap shot.
I don't like that kind of play. It is poor sportsmanship and in the end does nothing to intimidate the opponent. The 15 yard penalty can be a back breaker.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pork Twain

November 16, 2014, 11:28:46 am #26 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:39:21 am by Pork Twain
Exactly...  This kid is a HUGE talent and has a great future ahead of him, but he has to cut down on the boneheaded plays.  You have to play smarter in to protect your team from yellow flags.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 16, 2014, 09:45:10 am
The crap they keep calling on Skipper is pure BS. he gets punched and hit late and they call nothing. and yet they call everything he does. and a lot of things he does not do. i wish coach B would go off on these sec ref cheaters. they won't let Skipper play. and keep calling this BS that's killing our team. i am sick of it. i feel sorry for Skipper and our team.
+1000

PP

East TN HAWG

I felt the call against Skipper was correct, but the cheap shot on Skipper by LSU should have been called as well.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 16, 2014, 11:28:10 am
I hate to say it but the play was over, blown whistle or not. The LSU player was not piling on trying to stop the ball carrier. He was standing straight up and not in the play. Skipper pushed him from behind. It was a bonehead reaction and a cheap shot.
I don't like that kind of play. It is poor sportsmanship and in the end does nothing to intimidate the opponent. The 15 yard penalty can be a back breaker.

The play is not over until the whistle blows. Period. The ref screwed it up not Skipper.

I guess you can argue with Coach B if you still disagree. He has already stated Skipper did nothing wrong there.

hoghiker

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 16, 2014, 11:28:10 am
Not to be picky but  the play is over when the whistle blows; however, when I saw the play, I thought stupid thing to do (might even have screamed it) 

Cinco de Hogo

No need to feel sorry for DS, he needs to learn how to curb his aggressiveness to fit the situation.  According to some posters there is no such thing as the refs picking on Arkansas or an Arkansas player so it's on his shoulders.

Or you could accept FCJ opinion.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 16, 2014, 11:32:50 am
The play is not over until the whistle blows. Period. The ref screwed it up not Skipper.

I guess you can argue with Coach B if you still disagree. He has already stated Skipper did nothing wrong there.

Play smarter, not harder...period...  If what you are doing has no positive impact for the team and could only cause a negative result, don't do it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

mizzouman

Assume the play was not over. Do do call a block in the back, clipping against Skipper? 

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 16, 2014, 10:51:20 am

Whoever taught him to blast a dude in the back 5 feet from a ref should probably scratch that from the lesson plan.

Pork Twain

So many excuses, yet so little justification.  But the whistle had not blown...  Is that the only thing players rely on to make smart choices on the field?

jobiegohog

Wanting to inflict pain on opposition - good. Doing it right in front of officials - bad. But I love having a player who goes to war when he steps on the field on my team.

Torqued pork

Which game had a replay of the d-lineman repeatedly taking shots at Skipper while Skipper just kept backing up? It couldn't have been more obvious.

Poker_hog

Skipper needs to stop worring about getting players out of the pile.  He needs to concentrate on blocking and not wasting energy on other things.  He sometimes struggles in the 4th quarter.  The guy can be all world if he gets his mind right.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

rude1

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 11:50:21 am
So many excuses, yet so little justification.  But the whistle had not blown...  Is that the only thing players rely on to make smart choices on the field?
^^This. It was a dumb play with no bearing on helping the team. So do we want all our kids seeking out and blasting guys looking the other way until the whistle blows? I have a strong suspicion that if the play had been the other way and Skipper got blasted from the blind side while standing over the pile just before the whistle blew and nothing was called, the same people defending this as a legal play would be blasting the officials for a no call and the LSU player for a "cheap shot".

SemperFi

What do you mean "right"? The whistle had not been blown and the Ref standing right next to the play and who threw the flag should have indicated that the play was in fact dead. Dan Skipper was screwed on that call and I bet Coach B will address that with the head office. The Officials need to stop zeroing in on Skipper. It's wrong and unprofessional.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on November 16, 2014, 11:46:38 am
Assume the play was not over. Do do call a block in the back, clipping against Skipper? 

I'll have to go back and look, but was the play inside the tackle box?

mbd1475

I bet if Dan Skipper was in the room with you turds, you would not be telling him what he needs to do.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 16, 2014, 11:43:52 am
Play smarter, not harder...period...  If what you are doing has no positive impact for the team and could only cause a negative result, don't do it.

Yet the coach said he did nothing wrong.

SemperFi

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 16, 2014, 12:00:08 pm
I'll have to go back and look, but was the play inside the tackle box?

Yes, it was in the tackle box.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Piggfoot

I don't know if the Whistle had blown or not. I'm not sure coach Bielema actually knew if the whistle had blown or not. He was defending his player publicly as he should. I suspect privately when he reviews the film he will have a different opinion. Skippers action by pushing the LSU player in the back, a player not actually involved in the stop, was similar to the tripping play. Blown whistle or not those actions are most likely going to draw a flag. It was not an aggressive play till the whistle stops type of play. 
Like it or not, the game is not always played strictly by the rules. It many times is played and called by the spirit of the game and rules.
What purpose did Skippers action serve? Nothing. He was not pulling a defensive player off of the pile, nor was he protecting the ball carrier.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

TeufelHog

Don't "feel bad for Dan Skipper."  He's 6'10," 330lbs, and playing Division I NCAA football for the Arkansas Razorbacks.  He's "Living the Freak'n Dream!"  I'm positive he would tell you to save your pity for someone who needs it.

root_hawg

Hmm I feel bad for him as well, you would think after all this time, he would learn to not make dumb arse moves

Paul

That play & Gaines' targeting are the definition of boneheaded plays

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: rude1 on November 16, 2014, 11:57:08 am
^^This. It was a dumb play with no bearing on helping the team. So do we want all our kids seeking out and blasting guys looking the other way until the whistle blows? I have a strong suspicion that if the play had been the other way and Skipper got blasted from the blind side while standing over the pile just before the whistle blew and nothing was called, the same people defending this as a legal play would be blasting the officials for a no call and the LSU player for a "cheap shot".

Back in the day, if you didn't go full speed until the whistle you did in fact take a significant chance of getting your head taken off from the blind side. In fact, it made for some good fun on film day.