Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rushing the field

Started by reddogjcss, November 15, 2014, 11:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogAlum99

Quote from: greenie on November 16, 2014, 02:05:09 pm
I rushed the field at DWRRS in 1981 when we crushed #1 Texas.  One of the highlights of my college years.  It was great to see the excitement last night...made me reminisce.

I'm with ya! Got to bring the posts down in '99 against Tennessee. After what had happened in Knoxville the year before, we needed that! Even more so, I think "The Streak" was a much bigger monkey to get off our backs than "The Stoernover"! If anyone has a problem with the fans/students storming the field last night, you know you have a couple of options: you either stay in your seats, leave the stadium immediately, or turn off your TV! It really is that simple! Some of you should really lighten up and just learn to enjoy the moment sometimes.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: bulldog04 on November 16, 2014, 02:15:56 pm
Does anyone know if something is set up for the fans to donate money to pay the fine? Ole Miss did something like this I think.

As someone already mentioned, Long was supposedly told by a big booster this week, that if the field was stormed, he would pay the fine.  Heard that on the radio a couple of different times last night.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: moses_007 on November 16, 2014, 02:01:12 pm
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Added to Favorite Razorback Photos in DST
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

RazorPiggie

Hogfaniam

Quote from: bulldog04 on November 16, 2014, 02:15:56 pm
Does anyone know if something is set up for the fans to donate money to pay the fine? Ole Miss did something like this I think.
Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 16, 2014, 02:21:15 pm
As someone already mentioned, Long was supposedly told by a big booster this week, that if the field was stormed, he would pay the fine.  Heard that on the radio a couple of different times last night.

Set it up.  Extra proceeds to go to Burl's Kids
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogboarder on November 16, 2014, 01:34:27 pm
It's not about "acting you've been there" it's about "acting like you belong".

Its about not acting at all and doing what feels good.  Haters need to realize that this is only the third time that field has ever been rushed.  All three were perfect times to do it.

elksnort

There is a time and place for almost anything. 

And it was the time and place to rush the field. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 16, 2014, 02:47:27 pm
Its about not acting at all and doing what feels good.  Haters need to realize that this is only the third time that field has ever been rushed.  All three were perfect times to do it.
Youth is wasted on the young.

snoblind

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 16, 2014, 09:06:10 am
I was against rushing the field before I was for it.  :razorback:

Exactly.

Full disclosure, I passed on my chance to rush the field in 1981 when we beat Texas.  Certain folks will point out to me when I've told the story that setting a personal record for consumption of Jack Black in 4 quarters had something to do with me not making it down there.

Since then I've always been part of the act like you've been there, bush league, blah, blah crowd.  That being said...

I loved watching it.  I've spent ever fall sitting on row 32 of section 104 since 1964.  Watched some of our greatest victories and most heart breaking losses over the years.  Last night was one of the games that will rank as one of the very best games I've been to.  Took plenty of pics and didn't want to leave.

For those players and the fans who made it the field last night may rank their #1 Razorback memory the rest of their lives no matter what happens in coming seasons.

Who knows?  Maybe this game turns out to be like Broyles' 1958 victory over A&M for Bielema.  If that happens the kids will have a few more opportunities to storm the field.  And I won't complain one bit.     

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogninja on November 16, 2014, 12:16:03 am
was a planned take down by the staff to prevent a ripping.

Yep, they thought ahead. Quite ingenious, and skillfully executed.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Thanks for posting your pictures and videos, they're all great. Some brought tears.

Rushing was warranted, just like the other 2 times.

Go Hogs
1-0

WorfHog

We needed it, the players needed it, and I hope we rush the field after we beat #10 Ole Miss next week. Some of you guys need to pull the giant stick out of your A$$.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: WorfHog on November 16, 2014, 04:39:21 pm
We needed it, the players needed it, and I hope we rush the field after we beat #10 Ole Miss next week.

NO need to do it 2 weeks in a row. Nope, nada, negative.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Iwastherein1969

who are we as a fan base trying to impress ?....the very posters in this thread who say rushing the field was beneath us as a fan base are the very one's who enjoy reminding Hog fans in here just how low we rate on the IQ scale for fans...I'm asking you who listen to the likes of Clay Travis and take his low-brow opinions to heart, what else would you expect ?

ad: last night was completely appropriate, Clay Travis be dammed
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 16, 2014, 05:04:16 pm
who are we as a fan base trying to impress ?....the very posters in this thread who say rushing the field was beneath us as a fan base are the very one's who enjoy reminding Hog fans in here just how low we rate on the IQ scale for fans...I'm asking you who listen to the likes of Clay Travis and take his low-brow opinions to heart, what else would you expect ?

ad: last night was completely appropriate, Clay Travis be dammed

Anyone who thinks that rushing the field was 'beneath us' or 'inappropriate' is LOST IN SPACE.   It was a great moment and seemed to be spontaneous - caused by the players rushing the trophy.   Who are these fun hating weirdos?

RazorbackRon

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 16, 2014, 05:25:18 pm
Anyone who thinks that rushing the field was 'beneath us' or 'inappropriate' is LOST IN SPACE.   It was a great moment and seemed to be spontaneous - caused by the players rushing the trophy.   Who are these fun hating weirdos?

Uh, NO it wasn't spontaneous - caused by the players rushing the trophy.  It was going to happen once we scored the last TD to go up 17-0.   The students began to disperse to both sides of the field to get away from the heavy security that was put up in front of the student section and it was a thing of beauty with the anticipation of the 'storm' that was coming.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogboarder on November 16, 2014, 01:34:27 pm
It's not about "acting you've been there" it's about "acting like you belong".

really?

Ramtough

Quote from: tusked on November 15, 2014, 11:38:35 pm
I didn't think it was a rush as much as a gathering.  I's ok with it.
Yea it was more of a slow trickle but much deserved.

KennyForAD

Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 16, 2014, 05:34:26 pm
Uh, NO it wasn't spontaneous - caused by the players rushing the trophy.  It was going to happen once we scored the last TD to go up 17-0.   The students began to disperse to both sides of the field to get away from the heavy security that was put up in front of the student section and it was a thing of beauty with the anticipation of the 'storm' that was coming.

Even better.  Good for them.   Those who are bitching about it have probably never been thrilled. 

MojoHog

I'll remember this game for a long long time. I've never been big on rushing the field or court except for certain opportunities. This was one of those. Just to get over the wall and onto the field and see the players (especially BA who looked like he just won the lottery) was the greatest Hog moment I've ever had! I was born after 94 so I can't claim that... GO HOGS!!!!!!!!
Go Hogs!
Go Pack Go!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 16, 2014, 06:36:25 pm
How about we let Martrell Speight, Trey Flowers, and JWill weigh in on this debate?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/razorbacks-surprised-as-hog-fans-rush-the-field/13976/r0vyi7xCzkWyN5rswJP4Yw

I was just about to post that same link.  I also mentioned what Hunter Henry said about it...always wanting to be a part of something like that.
Retired Radio Host

HF#1

Quote from: yraciv on November 15, 2014, 11:41:36 pm
We've won a national championship.  We've been to a BCS bowl since these SR have been on campus. To say we haven't been there is ridiculous. Beyond excited for the win, but winning a game your favored in on your homefield against a good but not great team hardly calls for storming.

How confident were you that we were going to win the game?  I mean really.  As far as the "act like you've been there before" crap, save it.  We snapped a 17 game conference losing streak, we have bounced back from several devastating defeats. 

This team and the fans deserved a release of happiness.  And it wasn't really a storming of the field so much as it was the fans joining the players in the celebration.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorbackRon

Quote from: hogboarder on November 16, 2014, 08:19:46 pm
Really.

Anyone who thinks rushing the field last night was inappropriate, was not at the game.

texas tush hog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 15, 2014, 11:46:16 pm
Rushing the field is dumb, but not as dumb as tearing down rails and goalposts.

We didn't do that, I hope. That's real trouble nowadays, ask Ole Miss($50,000) and Kentucky ($25,000)

HogimusMaximus

I liked the rushing of the field.  Is beating LSU now the same as if they were a Top 5 team, no...but it was a big win over a good team and we dominated them.  Shut em out...Bama couldn't do that.  And we had important recruits there.    Coaches probably told them "if the fans do this after a game like this, what do you think they will do when we win a SEC and Natl Champ?  Be a Hog and find out!

RazorbackRon

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 16, 2014, 08:39:30 pm
We didn't do that I hope. That's real trouble nowadays, ask Miss State.

The goal posts were not torn down.   The goal posts were lowered to the ground as soon as the game was over the and field was being stormed (by the field staff).  The student section rail was knocked down because of the mass of people coming over it.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Capt. Hamm on November 16, 2014, 09:11:43 am
You think this didn't mean anything?

A lot of you are forgetting that these are kids for the most part. Even the fans that rushed the field. Everyone had just gone through this 17 game losing streak together, why not celebrate the end of it the same way?

But the biggest thing is this. Look at the bottom right corner of this picture.. You see the guy with the dreads and beanie? That's Will Gragg. This had a HUGE, and I mean HUGE impact on not only the recruits we have in the fold already, but ones we may have not had a chance at. Derrick Graham was speechless and has been tweeting everybody telling them to come to Arkansas with a picture of THE FANS on the field as his inspiration.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

BPsTheMan

texas tush hog

Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 16, 2014, 08:42:11 pm
The goal posts were not torn down.   The goal posts were lowered to the ground as soon as the game was over the and field was being stormed (by the field staff).  The student section rail was knocked down because of the mass of people coming over it.

I mispoke although I corrected it, but Ole Miss and Kentucky were fined for rushing the field, not Miss State. Ole Miss got nailed extra ($50,000) because it was their third offense. Kentucky got $25,000 for their second offense. We will probably get $5,000 for this one, but it could cost us extra, if they count 1999 Tennessee, when the goal posts wound up on Dickson Street. Statute of limitations might apply though.

hogboarder

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 16, 2014, 08:51:28 pm
you're from a really small town aren't you

Nope. Why? Because I left out one word in the post you quoted? You're always quick to judge aren't you?

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogboarder on November 16, 2014, 08:55:31 pm
Nope. Why? Because I left out one word in the post you quoted? You're always quick to judge aren't you?

you left out several words

I am quick to judge, yes.

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: yraciv on November 15, 2014, 11:41:36 pm
We've won a national championship.  We've been to a BCS bowl since these SR have been on campus. To say we haven't been there is ridiculous. Beyond excited for the win, but winning a game your favored in on your homefield against a good but not great team hardly calls for storming.

We lost 17 straight league games, so actually we have never been there. I think a field storm was called for, and it was totally worth it!

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 16, 2014, 08:53:23 pm
I mispoke although I corrected it, but Ole Miss and Kentucky were fined for rushing the field, not Miss State. Ole Miss got nailed extra ($50,000) because it was their third offense. Kentucky got $25,000 for their second offense. We will probably get $5,000 for this one, but it could cost us extra, if they count 1999 Tennessee, when the goal posts wound up on Dickson Street. Statute of limitations might apply though.

There is a new multi million dollar building on campus every year, they can afford it.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 16, 2014, 08:53:23 pm

We rushed the court in basketball in 2006, so this is #2.

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 16, 2014, 02:47:27 pm

Exactly. Haters are always gonna hate. Because rushing the field after enduring the smile monster, losing 17 straight games, and seeing our program dissolve into irrelevancy. Then finally getting over the hump against your rival ranked #17 in shutout fashion and embracing the players in pure unscripted joy is so stupid!

Breems

So, when do we stop rushing the field?

By most accounts, it should be a given that we'll rush the field if we beat a top 10 Ole Miss team at home.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogboarder

Celebrating preventing an eighteen game losing streak? It was a GREAT win no doubt. However, it was a 17 ranked LSU team. The players feel the love and support by seeing the patience the fanbase has shown while the program has been in the crapper. 70k plus in attendance plus the super cold weather should make the players feel pretty supported.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Breems on November 16, 2014, 09:34:17 pm

By most accounts, it should be a given that we'll rush the field if we beat a top 10 Ole Miss team at home.

You should go rush the field right now, I think

hoghearted

Can't believe this is even being questioned   What better way to celebrate and express their joy and relief of finally breaking a terrible losing streak. Had I a chance to take part, I wouldn't hesitate.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

BPsTheMan

I hope we rush the field next week too

panhandlepig

Oh hush up Breems. Let's just worry about beating Ole Miss next Saturday and quit worrying about rushing the field crap.  The celebration last night was warranted and expected and spontaneous all at the same time.

How old are you? I'm old..well like mid -50s old. I hope I never get so old that I can't appreciate a celebration. Go Hogs.

BPsTheMan

Next week is Official Bowl Eligible Rush The Field

Then Mizzou will be 7-5 Rush The Field

KennyForAD

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 16, 2014, 10:03:53 pm
Next week is Official Bowl Eligible Rush The Field

Then Mizzou will be 7-5 Rush The Field

Senior Day... Bowl Eligible... and Take That Ole Miss..   Plenty of reason

BPsTheMan

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 16, 2014, 10:05:34 pm
Senior Day... Bowl Eligible... and Take That Ole Miss..   Plenty of reason

Bowl win against the Longhorns

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

You're not paying attention.

KennyForAD

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on November 16, 2014, 10:10:22 pm
You're not paying attention.

He thought it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 16, 2014, 10:17:13 pm
He thought it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..
Well, we showed those Germans when we bombed Tokyo.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Breems on November 16, 2014, 11:41:32 am
Not a fan.

Rushing the field has become a weird pandemic. Fans of unranked programs are doing it now for beating any team in the top 25. Even fans of top 25 teams are doing it. Our basketball fans have the right of it. We've been in the cellar for a decade, but no one rushed the court after beating #2 Florida or after a game-winning putback dunk against conference rival and top 15 Kentucky.

There's a reason officials try to stop it. It's dangerous. The first few rows of the student section fell on top of the "fences" last night and were trampled by those behind them. I haven't heard of any serious injuries, but they'll pop up soon enough. Aside from that, it just isn't special anymore when everyone does it with little justification.

Breems, stick to Jump Ball. This was a memorable night and rushing the field was fun for the players, coaches and fans.