Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future NCAA MBB Final Four Sites

Started by jbcarol, November 14, 2014, 07:02:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  3 hours ago
One guy in know to me about future Final Four sites: "Don't worry. You will be happy." ...

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  2 hours ago
Here's the recap: Phoenix (2017), San Antonio (2018), Minneapolis (2019), Atlanta (2020) and Indy (2021)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: jbcarol on November 14, 2014, 07:02:32 pm
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  3 hours ago
One guy in know to me about future Final Four sites: "Don't worry. You will be happy." ...

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  2 hours ago
Here's the recap: Phoenix (2017), San Antonio (2018), Minneapolis (2019), Atlanta (2020) and Indy (2021)

Are we assuming 2018 will be in the Alamo Dome, not Spurs home court?

jbcarol

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on November 17, 2014, 02:00:54 pm
Are we assuming 2018 will be in the Alamo Dome, not Spurs home court?

2018   San Antonio   Alamodome

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

HOGSWEAT

Dang, I was hopeful Little Rock would host 1st and 2nd round again soon

HogFaninMemphis

I just want to see the Final Four played in a basketball arena again. They talked about it recently, but apparently they balked at the opportunity to make slightly less money.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on November 17, 2014, 08:49:26 pm
I just want to see the Final Four played in a basketball arena again. They talked about it recently, but apparently they balked at the opportunity to make slightly less money.

I'm with you. I'd love to see it in an 18,000-20,000 seat arena, but I guess we'll never see it again. Was 1994 the last year they played the Final Four in a non-dome site?

Supermark101

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on November 17, 2014, 11:38:22 pm
I'm with you. I'd love to see it in an 18,000-20,000 seat arena, but I guess we'll never see it again. Was 1994 the last year they played the Final Four in a non-dome site?

No, 1996 was in the Continental Airlines Arena, in New Jersey. Domes didn't become a requirement until 1997.

Nice to see Wichita finally get one after opening there arena 4 years ago. Too bad WSU can't play there.  It'll be a nice home court for KU, i guess.

ChicoHog

Domes suck for basketball.  It's all about the money for sure.  I have been to a few first round games in Sacramento over the years (and regional final in Oakland) and I am glad to see it coming back there in 2017.   I will try for tickets for that in 3 years. 

too bad Bud Walton never gets a first round game.   lack of hotels? 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 18, 2014, 09:30:30 am
Domes suck for basketball.  It's all about the money for sure.  I have been to a few first round games in Sacramento over the years (and regional final in Oakland) and I am glad to see it coming back there in 2017.   I will try for tickets for that in 3 years. 

too bad Bud Walton never gets a first round game.   lack of hotels? 
You know, you figure if we can host big football games we can host a regional. It's not surprising though, because you don't see Knoxville, Provo, Ann Arbor, etc., hosting either.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HotlantaHog

Yes. A serious lack of hotels around Fayetteville when you consider Arkansas couldn't be one of the teams playing there and all 20,000 fans would have to get hotels for a few days.

jbcarol

Michael DeCourcy @tsnmike  ·  7 hours ago

Why do they keep putting early round NCAA Tournament games in Carolina? Why, indeed. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-11-17/ncaa-tournament-carolina-raleigh-durham-unc-duke-charlotte-regional ...

QuoteWith Monday's announcement there will be first- and second-round NCAA Tournament games in Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte from 2016-18, and with a site this year at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, it brings the total to 17 of 22 tournaments in which there has been (or will be) an early round site in the state of North Carolina.

In 2008, when there was a first-round site in Raleigh, the East Region games also were played in Charlotte. In 1998, one of the few years there were no early tournament games in the state, the absence was mitigated by a regional played in Greensboro.

So presuming Duke and North Carolina stay good over the next few years, they'll likely stay local.

Since 1997, the Tar Heels have opened the NCAA Tournament in their home state eight times – seven of those as a No. 1 seed, once as a No. 2.

In that same period, Duke has opened in state 10 times – seven times as a No. 1, twice as a No. 2 and once as a No. 3.

Since 2002, when the NCAA introduced the "pod system" that meant early round sites no longer were tied to a specific geographic region, North Carolina and Duke have opened at the same home-state site three times: twice Greensboro, once Charlotte.

North Carolina's advantage in the process has always been its orientation toward basketball, a geographic location that is at the intersection of East and South and the willingness of the ACC and its member schools (as well as Charlotte, now of Conference USA) to serve as tournament hosts.

"North Carolina has been a great state supporting the tournament," Gavitt said. "As have California, Florida, Texas and others."

Supermark101

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on November 18, 2014, 10:20:38 am
You know, you figure if we can host big football games we can host a regional. It's not surprising though, because you don't see Knoxville, Provo, Ann Arbor, etc., hosting either.

This there are plenty of hotels.

The reason the Bud Walton can't be a first/second round site or doesn't host anything other than Walmart is that it was not build for it. The loading dock can't handle it. A retrofit to make this possible is in the master  plan.

k.c.hawg

I was super excited to see the Regional in Kansas City in 17. The Sprint Center/Power and Light District are a great place for tournament basketball. The last time there was a Regional here (Kemper Arena in 95) our Hogs paid us a visit. One of my great sports moments, getting to watch our guys advance to the Final 4 in great seats and then having a 25 minute drive home. Would love to see that again!!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.