Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With all the talk about the Hogs' upcoming victory

Started by bigdaddyhawg, November 11, 2014, 12:28:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

It would be wise to realize some realities.

1. Even though the tiggers lost a tough game last Sat., they are still the more talented of the two teams, and it's not really even close on that.

2. They have been playing very well, much better than our Hogs.  They have been very physical on both sides of the ball, and their young players have developed very well.

3.  IMO they are a legitimate top 15 team.  IMO the Hogs are truly good enough to be valued in the top 25, but there's a pretty big difference between those two rankings.

While I understand playing in the great white north brings its' advantages, please keep in mind we are playing a better team than us, regardless of the point spread in Vegas.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 11, 2014, 12:28:31 pm

1. Even though the tiggers lost a tough game last Sat., they are still the more talented of the two teams, and it's not really even close on that.

2. They have been playing very well, much better than our Hogs.  They have been very physical on both sides of the ball, and their young players have developed very well.

3.  IMO they are a legitimate top 15 team.  IMO the Hogs are truly good enough to be valued in the top 25, but there's a pretty big difference between those two rankings.

While I understand playing in the great white north brings its' advantages, please keep in mind we are playing a better team than us, regardless of the point spread in Vegas.
I don't think they are really that much better than we are.  I think we're pretty evenly matched actually.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 11, 2014, 12:31:28 pm
I don't think they are really that much better than we are.  I think we're pretty evenly matched actually.

No, in Fayetteville, I would say they are not 'that' much better than us, but still overall a better football team.

I think we can win, but IMO it's a little silly to just take a victory for granted, as many fans seem to be doing.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 11, 2014, 12:33:02 pm
No, in Fayetteville, I would say they are not 'that' much better than us, but still overall a better football team.

I think we can win, but IMO it's a little silly to just take a victory for granted, as many fans seem to be doing.

I don't take any victory for granted. 

flowermoundstan

we looked pretty similar against bama our defense looked better than theirs against state

Danny J

This is the way I figure it.....

We played MSU to overtime last year at home. We both returned many of the same players and again we took them to the wire this year.

Last year we played LSU to the last 4 minutes or so of the game. We return many of the same players however LSU does not especially on offense.

We have made huge strides this year especially on D. We SHOULD be able to beat LSU this year at home. They are banged up and coming off a huge emotional letdown. No excuses.

Uncommon

Heading into the bye week, we were the #1 team in the SEC this season in covering Vegas point spreads.

This doesn't mean I'm flat out predicting an Arkansas victory.  We haven't shown we can close out games to deserve a victory prediction.  But it does mean that I won't be surprised if we beat them this weekend.

ldfergu

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 11, 2014, 12:31:28 pm

Statistically, we appear better in most categories.  Except, of course, the W & L column

HF#1

If we can get an early lead.  14-0 or 21-0, then I think we can win the game.  If it's 7-7 in the 4th quarter like I think it will be, I don't have any confidence we can make plays to win.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Vantage 8 dude

Ultimately it doesn't matter what any of as fans think or feel. It's always going to be about the team's attitude, work ethic and approach to the game. Yes, we fans can do our part in backing the team and cheering it on but in the end it's the preparation and execution that makes the difference. As far as LSU's talent level, size and other factors that's absolutely nothing new. I well remember the game when we played them in LR with Mallett at the helm. I was watching LSU warm up and thought "Wow, those are some big ole boys and I'd sure hate to be the one to have to face them on the field". Interesting that the outcome turned out to be far different than my initial impressions. While it's true they were huge and fast, in the end it made no difference. So one never truly knows for sure beforehand.

SPAL

I have no idea why they even suit up. After the hogs catch wind of this post, they will probably feel compelled to forfeit.

Jamie Jones

Did LSU have the better team last season too? Because we should have won in Baton Rouge. The better team doesn't always win...or do they??
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

code red

4.  Benton and Washington county sell boos....advantage Arkansas.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Redhogs

Kinda taking on that Ga. game week feel......we know how that turned out.  ::)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Jamie Jones on November 11, 2014, 01:39:02 pm
Did LSU have the better team last season too? Because we should have won in Baton Rouge. The better team doesn't always win...or do they??
No... it shows they are capable of closing out a game...something we have yet to do in the past 2 years.

Sir Oinksalot

Your reasoning is going to fail the test, here is why...

1. The tiggers not only lost last week they lost to Bama, they think about them all year...

2.  Yes, they have come together but so have we, we rested last week, they played their Super Bowl...

3. Yes again, but, our power ranking approaches theirs even though they have won in the SEC-West....ck. schedules...

Historically we play LSU's azzzzz off, but, nobody knows about this time of yr.,, playing each other...

It's never happened...imo we will win, and LSU will become our next Auburn...

again as always, jmho...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

razorsharptusk

How long has it been since LSU has played in Fayetteville vs. Little Rock?
GO HOGS!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorsharptusk on November 11, 2014, 02:16:18 pm
How long has it been since LSU has played in Fayetteville vs. Little Rock?
Played in Fayetteville two years ago for the first time since the early 90s. Before that played and won in LR in 2010.

Sir Oinksalot

Yes, but they only defeated Arkansas by 4 points in Baton Rouge last year......

We are going to smear them....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

bigdaddyhawg

Did LSU have the better team last season too? Because we should have won in Baton Rouge.

Maybe, but "should've won" hasn't been putting any W's up for us.

The better team doesn't always win...or do they??

That's true, but it is definitely the better place to start out from.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on November 11, 2014, 01:40:53 pm

I hadn't thought of it in that light, but I guess I agree with you.

I was absolutely convinced we had the better team, and playing in LR was going to give us all the edge we needed.  And then we stunk up the field.

But the fact was UGa was a better football team, top to bottom, than the Hogs, and probably would have won 7/10 times they played.

I think LSU is a similar deal.  We can beat them, but I'm not predicting it.

MSMHawg

Yeah, 0-17 teams always win

wupigsuey

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope
Summation. Nope.

Otherwise, solid post.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Redhogs on November 11, 2014, 01:42:57 pm
No... it shows they are capable of closing out a game...something we have yet to do in the past 2 years.
And the Hogs can't win ever again because they haven't won in the SEC in two years? At some point, Arkansas will get past their mental block and start winning conference games. If they don't have the better team, then they have the better coach, because they are too close to being 7-2. Either the team is better than they get credit for on Hogville, or Coach Bielema DOES know what he's doing. Or could it be a little of both? The Hogs are who they are, and are going to win a SEC game...this weekend.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

hoghiker

I doubt there is 3 people in the state of Arkansas that are penciling in a W. Hope, Yes. Nothin' more. Go Hogs.

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: hoghiker on November 12, 2014, 07:27:06 am
I doubt there is 3 people in the state of Arkansas that are penciling in a W. Hope, Yes. Nothin' more. Go Hogs.
might want to recalculate your numbers, Dexter. There are a serious amount of people in Arkansas and across the world who penciled in a W after last season.

No I am not one of those people. More than 3 exist

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hoghiker on November 12, 2014, 07:27:06 am

Have you been reading MMQB?  I guess those folks could be pulling the old bait and switch on us, but I believe there are way too many people expecting us to win Saturday, or at least picking that.

Rump Roast

They haven't been playing that well. They didn't get a touchdown against Ole Miss at home until the fourth quarter.  Choked against Bama.  Their best win as of late is against Kentucky at home.  This is not a normal Lsu team, they're just not very good this year.

And if you think this will be like the Georgia game then you're mistaken about that as well, because Lsu doesn't have an offense like Georgia.

JBoroHog

The difference between Arkansas and both LSU and MSU from last year to this year, is we returned our starting qb.  And that's not good in this case.

Letsroll1200

LSU has been playing great football and they have beaten a team(Wisconsin) with a similar style this year. Arkansas is going to have to play there best game of the season to beat this LSU team. They went on the road to Florida and beat a physical Florida team and people think this is a automatic win! Brandon Allen is going to have to show me that he can make a play in clutch time. LSU QB has proven he can make a winning play! If you have any doubt go and watch the Florida game.

Rump Roast

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 12, 2014, 08:54:04 am
LSU has been playing great football and they have beaten a team(Wisconsin) with a similar style this year. Arkansas is going to have to play there best game of the season to beat this LSU team. They went on the road to Florida and beat a physical Florida team and people think this is a automatic win! Brandon Allen is going to have to show me that he can make a play in clutch time. LSU QB has proven he can make a winning play! If you have any doubt go and watch the Florida game.

Not really.

Hoggish1

I haven't seen anybody taking a win for granted.  We're just tired of losing and a little optimism is warranted, especially since mistakes and refs have kept us from breaking through.

Redhogs

Quote from: Rump Roast on November 12, 2014, 08:11:55 am
They haven't been playing that well. They didn't get a touchdown against Ole Miss at home until the fourth quarter.  Choked against Bama.  Their best win as of late is against Kentucky at home.  This is not a normal Lsu team, they're just not very good this year.

And if you think this will be like the Georgia game then you're mistaken about that as well, because Lsu doesn't have an offense like Georgia.
Well enough to be 7-3 and ranked in the top 20. We have the same problem as they do, you stop the running game, then what? Sec teams have been able to do that to us and is one on the major factors we are 0-5 in conf. this year. Really think turnovers will be the decider......this game is a toss up..IF we play well.  Go hogs..

rljjr

Should we even bother to go? Should we just call Les now and tell him to stay home because they're (as you say) more talented? I mean it IS going to be cold and all, so why should we get out there for another loss?

Threads like these are so helpful when I'm planning what to do.

Or maybe I'll just go to the game, root like there is no tomorrow, and let the team's decide this on the field.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Redhogs on November 11, 2014, 01:40:53 pm

Sorry, but that was an away game where we simple spotted them a 32 pt lead in a five minute burst of stupidity and mistakes.

And nobody saw that coming...

Hoggish1

Etowah

LSU has no  offense and a physically beaten up defense...coming off a heartbreaking loss.

The time is right.  We are favored and should be.  We will win...just waiting to see by how much.

I think we win by 2 touchdowns or more.  We are trending up...they are trending down...that is why I am willing to drive 4 hours each way...spend some money.  If I didn''t think we were going to win I would just stay home.

We have the better overall team right now.  Just got to get over the hump.  Happens this week.

Rump Roast

Quote from: Redhogs on November 12, 2014, 09:04:03 am
Well enough to be 7-3 and ranked in the top 20. We have the same problem as they do, you stop the running game, then what? Sec teams have been able to do that to us and is one on the major factors we are 0-5 in conf. this year. Really think turnovers will be the decider......this game is a toss up..IF we play well.  Go hogs..

The difference in Lsu is they have a worse offense than every SEC team we've played. Look at the total offense rankings:

Auburn - 13
Texas A&M - 20
Alabama - 19
Georgia - 34
State - 6

Lsu - 67

We haven't played an offense this bad all year.  Combine that will all the other intangibles and that's why people are confident and the Hogs are favorites in this game.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Rump Roast on November 12, 2014, 08:58:20 am
Not really.

We loss and people get on the board and comment on how great we are playing. LSU is right where they should be as a team this season and people want to knock them!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Etowah on November 12, 2014, 09:21:58 am
We have the better overall team right now. 

I have no problem with you coming from a fan perspective, but I'd like for you to share just exactly how you see us as having the better overall team right now?

jkstock04

Overall people aren't near as cocky as they were before the "guaranteed" Georgia win.

If our defense continues to bail us out anything is possible, but once again if we are forced to pass the ball (we will be) how will we score against LSUs 1st team defense? Then consider our kicking game...or lack there of.

I'll be there cheering the Hogs, but expect the worst hope for the best type deal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Rump Roast

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 12, 2014, 09:26:19 am
We loss and people get on the board and comment on how great we are playing. LSU is right where they should be as a team this season and people want to knock them!

Have you even watched their games?  Got blown out against Auburn and only scored 7 points.  Trailed State at home 34-10 before Mullen put the backups in.  Trailed Ole Miss at home for almost the entire game after fumbling on the goal line and then giving up an 80 yard touchdown.  CHOKED against Bama at home after having the game in hand with the crowd going nuts. 

And for some perspective, we can all agree that the Arkansas offense has been less than impressive this year.  Lsu's offense is literally twice as bad as ours.  We rank in the 30s nationally, Lsu is in the high 60s. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 12, 2014, 10:00:28 am
Overall people aren't near as cocky as they were before the "guaranteed" Georgia win.

If our defense continues to bail us out anything is possible, but once again if we are forced to pass the ball (we will be) how will we score against LSUs 1st team defense? Then consider our kicking game...or lack there of.

I'll be there cheering the Hogs, but expect the worst hope for the best type deal.

Yep, one of my main concerns. 

The biggest sign of overall team talent is by looking at how special teams are working.  Most of the time those units are made of up second teamers, and the better your overall depth, the better your special teams will be.

And with their considerable recruiting successes and overall team talent, I expect them to be good (as usual) in this area.  Add to that it's probably our biggest weakness.

I'm pretty much with you on that last part there.  Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but just trying to be realistic.

MJ2

It will take the Hogs playing their best game of the year to win it.

LSU 28
Hogs 24

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MJ2 on November 12, 2014, 10:57:26 am
It will take the Hogs playing their best game of the year to win it.

LSU 28
Hogs 24

If the Hogs play their best game of the year we'll win that bad boy!

bigbadhog

Do you think we should go ahead and play the game???
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Redhogs

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 12, 2014, 09:08:52 am
Sorry, but that was an away game where we simple spotted them a 32 pt lead in a five minute burst of stupidity and mistakes.

And nobody saw that coming...
Wrong again.....Ga. was a HOME game this year.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on November 12, 2014, 01:57:08 pm
Wrong again.....Ga. was a HOME game this year.

Well, sort of kind of.  A lot of folks treat the LR games like it's a road game, FWIW.  In some ways that's fair -- the team has to travel that week, doesn't get to stay in its' regular home game routine, and plays in a crappy stadium.
In some ways it's not fair -- the Hogs don't have to play in front of some team's hostile fans.

Hogpkins

Quote from: Etowah on November 12, 2014, 09:21:58 am
LSU has no  offense and a physically beaten up defense...coming off a heartbreaking loss.

The time is right.  We are favored and should be.  We will win...just waiting to see by how much.

I think we win by 2 touchdowns or more.  We are trending up...they are trending down...that is why I am willing to drive 4 hours each way...spend some money.  If I didn''t think we were going to win I would just stay home.

We have the better overall team right now.  Just got to get over the hump.  Happens this week.

Quote from: Rump Roast on November 12, 2014, 09:22:15 am
The difference in Lsu is they have a worse offense than every SEC team we've played. Look at the total offense rankings:

Auburn - 13
Texas A&M - 20
Alabama - 19
Georgia - 34
State - 6

Lsu - 67

We haven't played an offense this bad all year.  Combine that will all the other intangibles and that's why people are confident and the Hogs are favorites in this game.

Quote from: Rump Roast on November 12, 2014, 10:03:19 am
Have you even watched their games?  Got blown out against Auburn and only scored 7 points.  Trailed State at home 34-10 before Mullen put the backups in.  Trailed Ole Miss at home for almost the entire game after fumbling on the goal line and then giving up an 80 yard touchdown.  CHOKED against Bama at home after having the game in hand with the crowd going nuts. 

And for some perspective, we can all agree that the Arkansas offense has been less than impressive this year.  Lsu's offense is literally twice as bad as ours.  We rank in the 30s nationally, Lsu is in the high 60s. 

Kudos guys. You were right. LSU's offense wasn't good enough to compete with us on Saturday. The weather and emotions were a big part of it, but they haven't been a good offense all season. Our defense rose to the challenge and gave the best defensive performance of any SEC team all year.