Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB's Intensity on the Rec. Trail

Started by AugustaHog, November 11, 2014, 12:14:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustaHog

After reading the list of all the places he visited personally on the bye week, I can't help but tip my cap to him.  I don't think we have ever had a head coach so active in recruiting nationally.  I think many of these guys get that CEO mentality and send assistants to do this work for them.  If you are at a top 10 program, maybe you can get away with that.  I love the work that he is putting in, and can't wait to see the fruit of this labor over the next few years.

OLDHOG

Yes I too am impressed, but more importantly, the recruits are impressed with the HEAD coach coming to see them himself. It's going to pay big dividends in the future. It will come, believe it.

greenie

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 11, 2014, 12:14:58 pm
After reading the list of all the places he visited personally on the bye week, I can't help but tip my cap to him.  I don't think we have ever had a head coach so active in recruiting nationally.  I think many of these guys get that CEO mentality and send assistants to do this work for them.  If you are at a top 10 program, maybe you can get away with that.  I love the work that he is putting in, and can't wait to see the fruit of this labor over the next few years.

We have never had a head coach travel this much and work this hard at recruiting. 

Just one of the characteristics that make him a great head coach for college football.

pigroots

CBB is building a program that will last guys. Yea we all hate the long losing streak but the improvement is obvious. There are no smoke and mirrors with him. The ship is just about to turn and we'll soon be a power again. The last coach who had this kind of stability was Hatfield. Thats a quarter century ago! I hope CBB is still our coach 10 years from now. He's solid and others will soon be wanting him. Hope he sees us as a lifetime job

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

I feel sorry for CBB. He is a lot better than the record shows and he and we know this. The way he is not scared to go in someone's house and get these kids without an SEC win is just remarkable. If he is getting these kids now just think how easy it will be once we start winning and winning a lot. Dude is gonna be grinning ear to ear after he gets his first SEC win and it is gonna make everything so much better/ easier for this staff

Paul

Redhogs

And he's well paid for it...million$ in fact.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The real Hogules

Quote from: Redhogs on November 11, 2014, 01:18:26 pm
Serious? You might want to wait and see if he has the ability to win big and consistently in the SEC before you give him that lifetime job...geeze....only fan base that tolerates losing in the SEC with a smile based on what might happen..embarrassing.

Well, considering what transpired prior to CBB's arrival and that we went from a finesse offense to a smash mouth offense, anyone who expected it to be a smooth transition was extremely delusional.
I doubt that very many Hog fans (if ANY) are happy with our current losing streak, but most can see the great strides that we're making on the recruiting trail and on the field.
Our schedule was rated the toughest in all of college football and we have been very competitive in all of our games.
No one wants to win worse than me, but I see us gaining quality depth and landing less projects than at any time in the last 30+ years and that gives me hope for the future.
Some may choose to see the cup as half empty, while I tend to see it as half full and getting full'er all the time!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Vantage 8 dude

November 11, 2014, 01:43:52 pm #8 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:16:19 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Redhogs on November 11, 2014, 01:18:26 pm
Serious? You might want to wait and see if he has the ability to win big and consistently in the SEC before you give him that lifetime job...geeze....only fan base that tolerates losing in the SEC with a smile based on what might happen..embarrassing.
I doubt that any true Hog fan is smiling in any way, shape or form considering the current SEC losing streak. However, some of us are also willing to look beyond just the here and now to project what we think may be coming and from our viewpoint it is definitely better times ahead. Is it a guarantee that it will happen as soon as we want? Of that I have no clue, and neither do you BTW. On the other hand, if what we've seen on the field, in the classroom, and in recruiting results haven't convinced you we are progressing and moving in the right direction I suggest you immediately get yourself a seeing eye dog 'cause buddy you sure the heck need one and NOW!!

AugustaHog

Hey, in no way am I happy about the losing streak.  What I am pleased about is the fact that our head coach is busting his tail to prevent this from ever happening again.  If he had his feet kicked up on his desk and was relaxing at home every night, I would be concerned.  All the right indicators are there for future success.  There is no question, CBB will be judged on W's and L's and not how hard he worked or how bad he wanted it.  If we continue to improve, we will be where we want to be.

grayhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on November 11, 2014, 01:13:00 pm
He's not even in the top 15 when it comes to highest salary, and yet we act like he is the only one making big bucks.
  Perhaps we should look at Charlie Strong's pay vs wins.

http://www.sportingnews.com/photos/4592730-top-15-highest-paid-college-football-coaches-nick-saban-charlie-strong-bob-stoops-urban-meyer-photos/slide/260860

Oklahawg

Only a bit of the hatred left, a small trail of evidence that reminds you this is the RECRUITING forum - take your issues elsewhere.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

secneahog

Bielema is a tough son of a gun. Props to him.  :razorback:
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

TMc

Yes he is.., but we've paid other coaches millions and they haven't done anything in recruiting.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 11, 2014, 03:57:33 pm
Only a bit of the hatred left, a small trail of evidence that reminds you this is the RECRUITING forum - take your issues elsewhere.

Leave them be, Oklahawg, in a year or two, this negative talk is going to ring very hollow, with what CBB is building. We are on the verge of a Frank Broyles type revival, only better. 

grayhawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 11, 2014, 05:25:30 pm
Leave them be, Oklahawg, in a year or two, this negative talk is going to ring very hollow, with what CBB is building. We are on the verge of a Frank Broyles type revival, only better. 
This!

redeye

I can only guess, but you see a lot of pictures of head coaches in the homes of top recruits, so I'm inclined to think it just hasn't happened for us much.  Until now, that is.

I have to tip my cap to Bielema, as well.

AugustaHog

Redeye, I don't know how many coaches do what he just did. I know they will head out and do the important in homes after the season, but I doubt many are running that schedule in a bye week.  They may make a stop or two, but that was some serious travel.  I may be completely off base on this because, like you said, my frame of reference is of two guys who were pretty awful recruiters.  I'm ready for some of these studs to get to campus and get ready for next year.

Melorock089

Reminds me of Saban. He would handle a lot of recruiting personally if I remember right.

arlhog

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that he "walks the walk".   He has put a lot into this and I hope he gets a lot in return.

Calling All Hogs

He is paid about the same as Texas Tech pays Kliff Kingsbury. CBB is 10 times the coach.

redeye

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 11, 2014, 08:11:16 pm
Redeye, I don't know how many coaches do what he just did. I know they will head out and do the important in homes after the season, but I doubt many are running that schedule in a bye week.  They may make a stop or two, but that was some serious travel.  I may be completely off base on this because, like you said, my frame of reference is of two guys who were pretty awful recruiters.  I'm ready for some of these studs to get to campus and get ready for next year.

I suspect you're right about Bielema doing it more, because he's appeared relentless.  I just meant that I'm not sure how much our previous head coaches did it.  I think it was rare for Petrino, and while Nutt did visit a few, he wasn't relentless with recruiting.

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 11, 2014, 10:02:29 pm
Reminds me of Saban. He would handle a lot of recruiting personally if I remember right.

I've seen a lot of photos of Saban in a recruit's home, so I think your'e right.

Mike_e

This is in no way to belittle the work CBB is putting in but he doesn't really have a lot of time left.  The class is filling up quickly and to maximise the available spots he needs the best he can get to commit right now as I don't think that he is the type to tell kids that he's pulling an offer because we found somebody better.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

TMc

I'm reading elsewhere.., they may try to sign 26/27. How you ask?  Have not one clue.

Hoggish1

CEO coaches, when they are great recruiters, can be a cut above.  All we need now is to get that first win and the recruiting flood gates will open.

LSU?

hawgmasta

As many have said; I can't imagine the kind of recruiting that will be possible if we're steady winning 8-10 games a year.

redeye

Quote from: TMc on November 12, 2014, 08:08:16 am
I'm reading elsewhere.., they may try to sign 26/27. How you ask?  Have not one clue.

Richard said we'd sign 26 the other day.  He said we had 18 commitments and expected another 8.

jackflash

I thing CBB and his staff have recruited better the last two years. Than the Hogs Have in a long time. I know we done better in Florida can't ever remembering us doing this. If we can improve in Texas we may have some thing special going here.