Baxendale gone

Started by ricepig, November 10, 2014, 04:37:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on November 19, 2014, 04:17:28 pm
Baxendale 2014

BA   GP GS    AB   R   H   2b   3b   HR  RBI   SLG   BB   SO   OB   
.290  34-26    93   7   27   7     0    1    21   .398    6    23   .347
Better than 80 plus percent of the roster we have. All as a redshirt freshman.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: azhog10 on November 19, 2014, 04:25:29 pm
Better than 80 plus percent of the roster we have. All as a redshirt freshman.

Give me a break.  If he was Blake Smith no one would have an issue.  He wasn't good enough so he didn't make it, period.

Maybe he could help us.  That's DVH's call.  He thinks that spot is a better value than a sub .300 hitter who can't play in the field.  I hardly call that crazy.

jacobp

Quote from: Baseball Hog on November 19, 2014, 04:49:06 pm
Give me a break.  If he was Blake Smith no one would have an issue.  He wasn't good enough so he didn't make it, period.
this. the name on the back of his jersey is what has most people riled up about his leaving.

Did any of you consider that he saw the writing on the wall, knew he was probably destined to be a DH only and decided to transfer so he could play in the field?  the kid wants to play pro ball; and last I checked they don't really draft designated hitters.

azhog10

Quote from: Baseball Hog on November 19, 2014, 04:49:06 pm

Maybe he could help us.  That's DVH's call.  He thinks that spot is a better value than a sub .300 hitter who can't play in the field.  I hardly call that crazy.
It's absolutely DVH's call. But acting like he was a mediocre hitter is not giving the kid his credit. He was a hitter. Something we haven't had a lot of in the recent past. Losing a kid that can hit like he could on a team that already struggled at the plate won't be easy.

All that said, I'm not at practices.....very few of us are. I have no idea what type of "team" player he was, so I cant sit and bash him when I don't know. But what I do know, is that he was one of the top 3 or 4 hitters we had last year. Maybe we have some newbies come in and replace him with ease, but if the past is any indication, it's very rare for us to be able to do that. But you continue with your agenda. I will only speak to the stats and what I have seen with my own eyes.

azhog10

Quote from: jacobp on November 19, 2014, 04:51:07 pm
this. the name on the back of his jersey is what has most people riled up about his leaving.

Did any of you consider that he saw the writing on the wall, knew he was probably destined to be a DH only and decided to transfer so he could play in the field?  the kid wants to play pro ball; and last I checked they don't really draft designated hitters.
So you are saying Blake only played for himself? Where's the basis behind this? I could care less what his "name" is. I care about the stats he put up behind the plate compared to what others put up. It takes very little time to pull up last years stats and see that he outperformed a lot of guys at the plate.

Hogpkins

DVH didn't reveal much in his presser, but it seemed like Bax left on his own. DVH sounded frustrated that we lost a roster spot because of the timing of Bax's departure. Since we lost a roster spot, it's not like DVH gave Bax's spot to someone else. I therefore don't see any reason to view this as DVH choosing a new, unproven player over Bax.

It sounds like Bax wasn't happy about something -- expected playing time would be the easiest guess, but who knows. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogpkins on November 19, 2014, 05:05:41 pm
DVH didn't reveal much in his presser, but it seemed like Bax left on his own. DVH sounded frustrated that we lost a roster spot because of the timing of Bax's departure. Since we lost a roster spot, it's not like DVH gave Bax's spot to someone else. I therefore don't see any reason to view this as DVH choosing a new, unproven player over Bax.

It sounds like Bax wasn't happy about something -- expected playing time would be the easiest guess, but who knows.

Thanks, Hogpkins, you added something to the discussion.  What you say does seem reasonable.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I have no idea why Bax left and I'm not going to speculate, but the one and only fall practice that I did see, he was not in the top 3 or 4 hitters that were taking bats at the DH spot. That may not mean anything at all, just thought I would share. In fact I didn't even see him that day. What did stand out is that we have some very good looking freshmen and guys like Serrano at DH. McAfee's bat looked really good, he was DHing also and lined one out of the park. Gosser looked in really good condition. Wikerson absolutely crushed one.

TuckFexas

For me, he showed a few flashes of being a good hitter, but he seemed to have a hole in his bat against junk. He had a slugging % below .400...for a "power" hitter that's not very good. He has zero speed and he'd never be considered a late inning defensive replacement. Wish the kid all the best, but I'm not heartbroken over his exit.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

jacobp

Quote from: azhog10 on November 19, 2014, 05:00:24 pm
So you are saying Blake only played for himself? Where's the basis behind this? I could care less what his "name" is. I care about the stats he put up behind the plate compared to what others put up. It takes very little time to pull up last years stats and see that he outperformed a lot of guys at the plate.
I'm saying that he was not going to see the field at Arkansas and he wanted to do more than just DH. He was not going to stay here another season or two and DH and get drafted. Its perfectly reasonable and it happens in college baseball all the time. I hope he goes at tears it up at Crowder; maybe he slims down and his defense will improve as well.

azhog10

Quote from: jacobp on November 20, 2014, 08:23:14 am
I'm saying that he was not going to see the field at Arkansas and he wanted to do more than just DH. He was not going to stay here another season or two and DH and get drafted. Its perfectly reasonable and it happens in college baseball all the time. I hope he goes at tears it up at Crowder; maybe he slims down and his defense will improve as well.
IF he left because he wanted to catch, then I agree he's better off going somewhere else. He wasn't going to see the field and this I can agree on. I also understand that it is very unlikely that DVH would eat a roster spot just to see Blake go. Which does lean more towards him wanting to leave. Unlike Reeves I do think we have a lot of better options at the plate than Bax.

woodrow hog call

He let himself get too big and it slowed him down more. How many times did we lift him for a pinch runner last year way earlier than you normally would, because he was a liability on the bases. That cost him two or three ab's per game, that he didn't get because he was too slow. Get in baseball condition if you want to be a baseball player.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

How many injuries was he dealing with at one point or another last year? At least 2, seems like more. I know he played through at least one injury.

ucahogfan

I think most of us expected Bax to be a big-time hitter this year based on a small stretch last year, but he also hit below .300 last year.  He posted a very low walk rate and chased a lot of bad pitches (as did a lot of our hitters last year).  He is no threat on the base paths either while pretty much the rest of our team outside of the catchers could be.

From listening to DVH, I could see our lineup shaping up like this:

C - Rodriguez/Pennell/Gosser
1B - Eagan/Wiggins
2B - Bernal/McAfee/Hogan
SS - McAfee/Bernal
3B - Wernes/Nomura/Hogan/Wiggins
LF - Serrano/Bonfield
CF - Benintendi
RF - Spoon
DH - Bonfield/Spanberger/Wiggins

All of the players I have in the DH spot have just as much if not more upside at the plate as Bax and all are better athletes.  In fact, DVH praised Wiggins for his work ethic as DVH was shocked as just how well Wiggins moved when he got to campus.

pigture perfect

Quote from: ucahogfan on November 21, 2014, 07:21:36 pm
I think most of us expected Bax to be a big-time hitter this year based on a small stretch last year, but he also hit below .300 last year.  He posted a very low walk rate and chased a lot of bad pitches (as did a lot of our hitters last year).  He is no threat on the base paths either while pretty much the rest of our team outside of the catchers could be.

From listening to DVH, I could see our lineup shaping up like this:

C - Rodriguez/Pennell/Gosser
1B - Eagan/Wiggins
2B - Bernal/McAfee/Hogan
SS - McAfee/Bernal
3B - Wernes/Nomura/Hogan/Wiggins
LF - Serrano/Bonfield
CF - Benintendi
RF - Spoon
DH - Bonfield/Spanberger/Wiggins

All of the players I have in the DH spot have just as much if not more upside at the plate as Bax and all are better athletes.  In fact, DVH praised Wiggins for his work ethic as DVH was shocked as just how well Wiggins moved when he got to campus.
Man I'm getting excited bout baseball season.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Scott7703

ricepig

Well, obviously it was Blake's choice, all you can say is next. Except, I guess we can't since he's cost us a roster spot, selfish.

ricepig

It is what it is, and every player knows that. We don't sign 15+ kids a year for nothing, produce or move on, we aren't the only ones to do it.

Sueie

Quote from: Baller 8675309 on November 23, 2014, 08:21:58 pm
How is that selfish

No one says a word when DVH tells players not to come to school, 2 weeks before school starts or texts a returning player a week before school starts and says dont come back....
see Matt Burgess, Markey Clark, Matt Brown, garret Rucker

He is obviously a terrible judge of talent if all these players he recruits are not good enough to play.

These coaches play God with players lives and its not right...

I applaud Bax for standing up for himself and saying enough, I am no longer going to let people treat me this way

You think these coaches play "God" with players lives?  What are they going to do when they get in the minor leagues and have to make it on their own?  I hope he does good where ever he goes.  But I do not see him going to a Big12 team and sit out another year?  If it was me, I would have followed Landon Simpson to Southern Arkansas before the season started. Before I would have went to Crowder JUCO.

Sueie

Quote from: mrp on November 23, 2014, 08:00:43 pm
You're sure not the only one. I agree with you.

Huge loss no doubt.

May I ask how many Fall Practices or Scrimmages you attended?  Are you going to waste a whole year blaming "Horn" again?

Sueie

If they are a pitcher and did not come here.  They made a "MISTAKE".

ucahogfan

Baller,

It is against the rules to personally go after fellow posters like you have and Wilson will go all scorched earth if anyone does that in EI.  We all get along in this forum regardless if we think the program is going in the right direction or not.

And I don't think Sprinkle had an offer to Arkansas so he would have had to walk on here while Galloway offered him a scholly.  I think I saw that Fenter is currently 19 which would make him a draft eligible freshmen if he ever steps foot on a college campus.

Back to the topic at hand, we just brought in the #1 recruiting class in the country according to PG and I think it focuses more on the offensive side of the ball.  While Bax is a big loss because we expected him to have a big year, some of these freshmen have bigger potential at the plate.  Bax was a good hitter last year and that is the farthest anyone should go with that.  It's not like Brian Anderson came back and then transferred out.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2014, 08:29:58 pm
It is what it is, and every player knows that. We don't sign 15+ kids a year for nothing, produce or move on, we aren't the only ones to do it.
This couldn't be more true.  Vandy has 20 commits this year and while some of them will sign with the MLB this next summer, I would think about 10-15 will make it to campus.  Vandy will probably have to turn some of them away.

DVH has to oversign because the draft has done us no favors until this year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baller 8675309 on November 23, 2014, 09:18:48 pm
You need to look at the list of players who left AR and see how successful they became...says something for sure
Yet we still make the tourney every year and DVH has been to Omaha more times than any other coach in the SEC.  And the vast majority of players who transfer from the Hill were never going to see much PT anyway.

ricepig

Quote from: Baller 8675309 on November 23, 2014, 09:18:48 pm
You need to look at the list of players who left AR and see how successful they became...says something for sure

No different than kids that left other programs and had success. You need to look at the list of players that had success at Arkansas, I think any coach or program would take that level of success. And, if this is such a terrible coach and program, how did they just sign the #1 class and continue winning at their rate?

Kevin

With the scholarship limit, this is the nature of running a program with aspirations of going to Omaha each year. 

Look at what Mullen just did to a football player from Texas who was going to enroll early.

One of our best defensive players, was dumped on signing day by alabama.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

It happens all over the country and in all sports. In baseball, with the limited amount of scholarships it probably happens more often. DVH doesn't hide anything from any player. They know where they stand. Even if it is a last minute text they knew it could happen. 

Porked Tongue

Baller has left the room.

kanda

I think this post needs to die off - y'all have beaten the dead horse for too long. But then I might be launching more conversation. Ekes!  Sorry first time writer.
1) I congratulate Baxendale for making this decision. I am sure it was one of the hardest decisions he has ever had to make in his 20 years on this earth. It must be very hard to walk away from this program.
2) As Van Horn has stated, not every program is right for every kid, nor is ever coach or coaching style is right for every kid.  Some kids may need a more progressive coaching style - some not. This might be why kids flourish in different programs.

Good luck - Baxendale. I hope to see you at any other D1. Don't give up the fight ! 

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jesterzzn

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2014, 08:29:58 pm

Right.  It is what it is.  Can't have it both ways.  It's curious that Bax left as he did, but selfish?  Well, only in the sense that it was in his self interest.  I think your characterization of bax is probably not warranted.

Flatline

November 24, 2014, 01:46:20 am #82 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:47:28 am by Flatline
Blame Title 9.  Blame college sports. We can only sign so many and pay so little. It sucks but that is how it is.

With that being said,  DVH just signed the best class in Razorback history.  I have gotten to watch some of them play and they hit better than Bax and play multiple positions,  which he cannot.  I lost faith in Bax during the College World Series when he didn't make an attempt to speak to his coach. 

Corrected. Should not post late with a phone.

Kevin

If it was not an arkansas kid nobody would care.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ricepig

Quote from: jesterzzn on November 24, 2014, 12:43:38 am
Right.  It is what it is.  Can't have it both ways.  It's curious that Bax left as he did, but selfish?  Well, only in the sense that it was in his self interest.  I think your characterization of bax is probably not warranted.

Or, maybe so.

Grizzlyfan

Obviously major college coaches very much act in their own self-interest.  And if my livelihood depended on 18-21 year olds I probably would too.  So it really shouldn't come as a big surprise when players do the same.

I only have direct knowledge of one player connected to the baseball program.  Mark Clark.  And he was screwed.

Bas3ball13

Wish Bax nothing but the best!  Some of you guys make me  :puke:  This is not the place.

Kevin

nobody has said anything about bax's future.

everybody has wished him the best

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 24, 2014, 11:20:11 am
Obviously major college coaches very much act in their own self-interest.  And if my livelihood depended on 18-21 year olds I probably would too.  So it really shouldn't come as a big surprise when players do the same.

I only have direct knowledge of one player connected to the baseball program.  Mark Clark.  And he was screwed.

It happens every year, most kids know about it and understand it. How much money was Mark given, that's the key.

Kevin

So what about the reverse: kid commits to a school, then signs with a school.  Gets drafted, holds out ti the last day in July & ends up signing a pro contract
And all the time telling the coaches their coming.

The system goes both ways

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Kevin on November 25, 2014, 12:56:09 am
So what about the reverse: kid commits to a school, then signs with a school.  Gets drafted, holds out ti the last day in July & ends up signing a pro contract
And all the time telling the coaches their coming.

The system goes both ways
^^THIS^^

It does go both ways and the schools and coaches and the kids and parents know this or at least should know this.

It's a tough situation for all involved, but it is what it is until the scholarship limits and draft rules are changed.

Got to hate it for the kids, but it's tough on the schools also.

Razrpig256

According to Kendall Rogers, Baxendale has committed to West Virginia.

"@KendallRogersD1: Former #Arkansas C Blake Baxendale, now at Crowder (Mo.) College, committed to @WVU_Baseball. Will be there next fall. #Big12 #WVU"

Kevin

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Razrpig256 on November 26, 2014, 04:13:56 pm
According to Kendall Rogers, Baxendale has committed to West Virginia.

"@KendallRogersD1: Former #Arkansas C Blake Baxendale, now at Crowder (Mo.) College, committed to @WVU_Baseball. Will be there next fall. #Big12 #WVU"
That's good news for Bax. Hope it works out.

dbbb

If Baxendale doesn't get drafted this Spring then West Virginia will be a great place to play. Big 12 baseball is ussually ranked second in conference RPI

Congrats to Bax. Not surprised he was picked up so quickly

TikiHog

I personally think he loved food to much...out of shape and cant run....he knew the writing was on the wall this year and he wasnt gonna play

dbbb

You are wrong
Bax did not leave because of playing time
And he stayed all summer in Fay working out with U of A trainer...he was in better shape and stronger

jacobp

didn't look it at the FWS. He was still not in good shape.

TikiHog

totally agree at the FWS he was out of shape