Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baxendale gone

Started by ricepig, November 10, 2014, 04:37:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

@BlakeBax: Can't wait to continue my baseball career at Crowder College in the spring! #RoughRiders

collegestationhog

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

dotnet

wait.... huh?

I thought he was a 300+ hitter with power.  Position or not, you want that guy. 

If this wasn't his choice, then I'm feeling better about the 3b, 1b, and DH options.

pigture perfect

I think it may have been some familial influence that made him unsatisfied with his role on the team. No Source, just my gut.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

I hate it though. I think he would have been a big part of this seasons offense.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dr. Starcs

There's no doubting the "big" part

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on November 10, 2014, 06:00:23 pm
If this wasn't his choice, then I'm feeling better about the 3b, 1b, and DH options.
Same here.  There is a definite logjam at 1B with Eagan and Wiggins and at DH with someone like Bonfield or Spanberger.  I know that is putting a lot of faith in freshmen, but those are the type of freshmen who can make an immediate impact.

I'm a little disappointed because I expected Bax to be our cleanup hitter, but DVH has said multiple times that this is the deepest offense he has ever had at Arkansas.  I think we have 15-16 guys who can see a lot of ABs this year and be solid at the plate.  3B still worries me as I think it will be one of Bernal/Wernes although Nomura spent a little time there this fall and I think he will be in the lineup.

It will be interesting to see how our 2015 lineup shakes out on opening day, but I definitely think that our OF will be Serrano, Benintendi, and Spoon from LF to RF.  I think Bonfield will be in the lineup as DH as well.  It would have been hard to find a spot for Bax this year and that really isn't a knock on Bax, but an indication of how deep this team will be at those positions he could have played.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Knot2brite

Hmmmm I guess later rather than earlier was the path. Good luck to him.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Porked Tongue

Never ever think you have a guaranteed spot.

flippinhogmana

Well, I really hate to see Bax leave, too.  Really.  But the sad fact is the numbers say there are several more that wont be on the roster also, isnt that right, uca, arkansas, and you other guys that keep track of such things?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Kevin

Yes, there will be others that leave.  I thought their would be a couple of surprises.  We had a log jam of players who are dh's .. Plus, more talented players on the roster

I hope bax tears it up at crowder
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Scott7703

Do any of you see Serrano or spoon playing infield? Noticed they spent time there in the fall series.

Hate to see Bax leave also. Really liked his bat.

hogfanfromlr

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 10, 2014, 06:05:57 pm
I think it may have been some familial influence that made him unsatisfied with his role on the team. No Source, just my gut.

Well if you've ever seen his dad on a baseball weekend (no matter what age) your're probably not too far off. 

I wish Blake the best of luck and hope he gets a shot, but I was one of those rooting to see him contribute in a CWS like his brother did.   

Kevin

i would think they would like serrano to play 2nd. that way bonfield can play left, and that opens up the dh spot for some other players.

plus, did they work spoon at third?

Scott7703

I could be mistaken but I think spoon did spend time at 3rd in the fall.

jacobp

Always thought Spoon could be excellent at 3B

arthurhawgerelli

Spoon was a catcher in high school.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if they were to play him in the infield, I would think 2B before 3B.  I think he stays in RF, though.

azhog10

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on November 11, 2014, 01:27:37 pm
i would think they would like serrano to play 2nd. that way bonfield can play left, and that opens up the dh spot for some other players.

plus, did they work spoon at third?
Serrano played a lot of the FWS games at 2B, but I think Spoon was exclusively a CF for his team since Benintendi was on the other team.  I think Spoon should be kept in RF as he has shown to be a very good defender.  I don't know if Spoon got any reps in the INF during the fall.  I was also shocked to see Grieshaber in the OF in the fall.

I think 3B comes down to Nomura, Bernal, and Wernes in the spring.  The OF will probably be Bonfield, Benintendi, and Spoon if Serrano stays at 2B.

trippigs

Bax had spunk. I will miss him and wish him the best. Gotta trust that this makes us better. 

pigture perfect

Quote from: hogfanfromlr on November 11, 2014, 01:25:50 pm
Well if you've ever seen his dad on a baseball weekend (no matter what age) your're probably not too far off. 

I wish Blake the best of luck and hope he gets a shot, but I was one of those rooting to see him contribute in a CWS like his brother did.   
I used to do FTX at Camp Crowder while I was in the Natonal Guard. I hope he enjoys the greater Neosho area.

I hate to see parents who become more of the center of attention than their athlete kids.

BigSexyHog

Wow.  Hope there is something behind the scenes.   This kinda makes me upset especially with the lack of hitting produced by this team.  Losing one of your best proven hitters could hurt.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

DZ

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 14, 2014, 10:43:21 am
Wow.  Hope there is something behind the scenes.   This kinda makes me upset especially with the lack of hitting produced by this team.  Losing one of your best proven hitters could hurt.
Bax gave up on plays, I remember one in particular last season when he got a  bad throw to first, instead of getting after the ball he turned around and gave the 2nd baseman a dirty look.. He got benched right after that inning.. I'm almost certain this got him in Van Horn's doghouse pretty bad..

azhog10

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 14, 2014, 10:43:21 am
Same thing happened IMO with John Clay Reeves. We were told that Ramirez was better and would be the next "guy" and then Ramirez didn't pan out and Reeves raked at Rice.......

D02777

I grew up with Bax's father. Intense competitor. Bax is also the same player who gutted it out behind the plate with a hamstring pull and drove in some runs with a 7 second home to 1st to try and preserve a teammates redshirt. I hope he succeeds wherever he ends up and achieves what he is capable of if the next level comes calling.

ucahogfan

Quote from: azhog10 on November 14, 2014, 01:25:12 pm
Same thing happened IMO with John Clay Reeves. We were told that Ramirez was better and would be the next "guy" and then Ramirez didn't pan out and Reeves raked at Rice.......
He was the Owl's 3rd best hitter in 2014 and might be Bax's equal defensively behind the plate.  Just like Bax was going to struggle catching at Arkansas, Reeves was the same way.  DVH values defense too much behind the plate to let a bat first, defense rarely type of guy catch full time now.  It's why Bax was going to be 3rd in the pecking order to catch this year behind Pennell and Rodriguez.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on November 15, 2014, 08:44:41 am
He was the Owl's 3rd best hitter in 2014 and might be Bax's equal defensively behind the plate.  Just like Bax was going to struggle catching at Arkansas, Reeves was the same way.  DVH values defense too much behind the plate to let a bat first, defense rarely type of guy catch full time now.  It's why Bax was going to be 3rd in the pecking order to catch this year behind Pennell and Rodriguez.
And apparently he wasn't good enough defensively at 1st or 3rd here.  He's just a man without a position.  I'm sure he will have a great year at Crowder and will get a chance to play pro ball.  I hope he does well.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bulldog04 on November 15, 2014, 05:01:52 pm
And apparently he wasn't good enough defensively at 1st or 3rd here.  He's just a man without a position.  I'm sure he will have a great year at Crowder and will get a chance to play pro ball.  I hope he does well.

Some of you speak as if his leaving was involuntary or that he was semi squeezed out.  If you have actual knowledge of that speak up, or dare I say, shut up? 

On the other hand, even if he didn't have a position, I don't think dh fields the ball does it?  Doesn't throw much either does it?  That implies that someone else who didn't have a position had a better stick than him who also couldn't field or throw (a defensive liability).  If that is the case who was it?  In my opinion he had a very good stick and made an impact as a freshman. 

It may have been a parental influence thing, or a clash with coaches, too.  I am not going to say or even infer either without knowing.  I will just be sorry he isn't there this year and I don't think it will be addition by subtraction.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jesterzzn

I have no source, I just want to make that clear.  This is my personal opinion from watching him play and interact with the team.

He was a drama queen.  Not a bad guy, just a bit high maintenance.  Kinda like Eibner.  It's just that Bax was no Eibner at the plate or on the mound.

I think this was just one of these things that happens with guys that think they are a little bit better than they really are, and are then faced with the reality that they might get beat out.  Guys like that tend to pack up and move on.

Like I said though, entirely my opinion.  Don't know the kid personally.

bulldog04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 15, 2014, 05:16:34 pm
Some of you speak as if his leaving was involuntary or that he was semi squeezed out.  If you have actual knowledge of that speak up, or dare I say, shut up? 

On the other hand, even if he didn't have a position, I don't think dh fields the ball does it?  Doesn't throw much either does it?  That implies that someone else who didn't have a position had a better stick than him who also couldn't field or throw (a defensive liability).  If that is the case who was it?  In my opinion he had a very good stick and made an impact as a freshman. 

It may have been a parental influence thing, or a clash with coaches, too.  I am not going to say or even infer either without knowing.  I will just be sorry he isn't there this year and I don't think it will be addition by subtraction.

I'm basing my opinion on the way the fall world series went.  Anyone can DH but not just anyone can play defense.  I'm sure Bax saw the writing on the wall just like everyone else did.  I'm a Bax fan and have been rooting for him ever since he became a hog.  But when the lineups kept coming out i figured he would leave.  I will continue to stay updated on his career.

ricepig

Quote from: mrp on November 16, 2014, 11:50:39 pm
The lack of hitting the last 3 yrs from the Hogs will make me miss him.

I remember one time this last spring Bax was given the bunt sign with 2 strikes. Next pitch he fouled it off attempting to bunt.

Next at bat Bax doubles off the wall in left center.

Who knows?  Maybe he just didn't like to bunt.

Well, if that was his thoughts on bunting, cya.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2014, 01:18:24 pm
Well, if that was his thoughts on bunting, cya.
Rice, either you or I are misunderstanding mrp's post. I think mrp is not saying he fouled on purpose, maybe I'm wrong. 

ricepig

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on November 17, 2014, 04:22:17 pm
Rice, either you or I are misunderstanding mrp's post. I think mrp is not saying he fouled on purpose, maybe I'm wrong. 

Well, I was going off the doesn't like to bunt, but lots of power hitters don't. We have a big park, and even with change in the baseball, we still need everyone to bunt.

Hogpkins

DVH said not every program is for every player. He said worst part of it is Bax counts against our 35-man roster so we will only be able to have 34 this year.

Big Nasty 34

Bunting is the most selfless thing in baseball. If you don't wanna do it, you probably aren't much of a team guy.

DLUXHOG

This is Crowder Junior College you are talking about, correct?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2014, 04:49:19 pm
Well, I was going off the doesn't like to bunt, but lots of power hitters don't. We have a big park, and even with change in the baseball, we still need everyone to bunt.
Geeeez! Oh well, I guess I'm getting old. Didn't even see the last sentence. :-[

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 17, 2014, 08:00:55 pm
This is Crowder Junior College you are talking about, correct?
Yep

azhog10

Quote from: bulldog04 on November 15, 2014, 05:01:52 pm
Here I was thinking we had a DH spot available......Didn't realize all 10 guys batting played in the field as well....

ricepig

Quote from: azhog10 on November 19, 2014, 09:26:21 am
Here I was thinking we had a DH spot available......Didn't realize all 10 guys batting played in the field as well....

Rover, you know......

flippinhogmana

AZ, irony is lost on some people....I made the same point, but apparently we have more than one DH candiidate, some of whom is either better in the clubhouse, better liked or a better hitter than Bax?

Baseball Hog

When you have as much talent as we do it's all about value per roster spot.  Why keep a guy that your not sure is going to be an offensive weapon when you know 100% he can't play the field over one that has the same offensive potential but can play a position?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Baseball Hog on November 19, 2014, 01:16:19 pm
When you have as much talent as we do it's all about value per roster spot.  Why keep a guy that your not sure is going to be an offensive weapon when you know 100% he can't play the field over one that has the same offensive potential but can play a position?

We'll get over Bax leaving, but I still have to call BS on this Baseball Hog...why keep a guy "that your not sure is going to be an offensive weapon"?  Do you really mean that?  Bax was proven at the college level to be just that "an offensive weapon", these guys coming in from high school no matter what it looks like their potential is, are not.  We are also apparently keeping some guys who have proven to be somewhat offensive liabilities (wernes, spoon, bernal to name some). 

The only way this is a good thing, BH, is if he was a cancer in the clubhouse, a liability otherwise, he wasn't.

bulldog04

^this

azhog10

Right, lets just ignore that we know 100% he can rake (has the stats to prove as he was one of the best hitters we had last year). We have such a good track record with being able to hit the ball finding a guy that can put up good numbers in the SEC from an offensive perspective is easy for us to do.

Sarcasm off

There are plenty of guys left on the roster who we KNOW can't hit the ball consistently and are just okay in the field.

azhog10

Quote from: ricepig on November 19, 2014, 09:42:20 am
Rover, you know......
Totally forgot.....thought for some reason that was only in slow pitch softball.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Baxendale 2014

BA   GP GS    AB   R   H   2b   3b   HR  RBI   SLG   BB   SO   OB   
.290  34-26    93   7   27   7     0    1    21   .398    6    23   .347