Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cantrell

Started by jcul28, November 07, 2014, 10:02:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcul28

Just left the Roland game. I like Austin, he has attitude that is very aggressive. Imo, could use at least one year in the weigh room. He didn't do much tonight but you can tell he has it. Has anyone else watched him this year? I know he is big time so I was wondering if he was just "off" tonight?

jjdlc

Overall, Roland's offense is pretty mediocre, they don't throw the ball much, so Cantrell dont get a lot of catches,  his stat line usually tends to rushing stats for offense, and pretty solid number of tackles and sacks on defense.

jcul28

Ok. I think he ran it 3-5 times for between 20-30 yards if I'm guessing. He did have one catch. Shane Moore from Eufaula was once again the best player on the field. Junior RB I mentioned a few weeks ago. This kid is a beast. Rushed for around 320 yards last night and probably had another 60-70 on a kick return. I've watched him a few times and he stands out every week. Went over 2000 yards rushing in 9 games this year.

tophawg19

is moore a oklahoma commit ? or still open?

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jcul28

Oddly enough, I'm not sure who is looking at him. 5'10 205 doesn't have break away speed but is elusive and quicker than you think. Loves contact. I do know that he ran by Cantrell last night but Bunch caught him from an angle on about a 60 yard run. The team is kind of small as far as height and size on the O-line. Moore's YAContact has to be crazy high.

tophawg19

Can't find anything on him either ????

tophawg19

video kind of reminds me of Alex Collins

jcul28

He's a bruiser. Loves contact, sometimes looks for it too much. Again, I've watched him a couple times, last night, against Spiro with Whitfield and in a rival game they have and he was easily the best player on the field each week.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: jcul28 on November 07, 2014, 10:02:04 pm
Just left the Roland game. I like Austin, he has attitude that is very aggressive. Imo, could use at least one year in the weigh room. He didn't do much tonight but you can tell he has it. Has anyone else watched him this year? I know he is big time so I was wondering if he was just "off" tonight?

He touches vary from game to game.

He'll play as a true freshman. Too much speed and ability not to.

razorfrog

Go watch him at a track meet.  Super freak

jcul28

Do you think he plays TE next year RD? I am all Hog fan and never try to bash a recruit but his legs looked like shoe strings. I didn't see him do anything "great" last night. Couldn't get separation from a 5'7" 140 DB either concerned me. Of course, I got into the game which was a good one btw...and didn't focus on him every play.

Edited to add: compared to his opponents TE who is a SR for Eufaula that is 6'3 250. Comparing size I guess is why I noticed how thin he was.

justmaybe

Wouldn't surprise me to him at fullback/back over time. If we fill up on defense I don't see him at defensive end. But who knows depends some on what he wants.

jcul28

My 100% honest assessment was I hope that he redshirts and hits the weight room hard. He does have good height and decent speed though. I just can't see him lining up every down in the SEC next year. That's just me and I've been wrong before. Good thing is, he has a year to add some weight and lower body strength. I'm just glad he's a Hog!

jjdlc

Quote from: jcul28 on November 08, 2014, 05:52:47 pm
My 100% honest assessment was I hope that he redshirts and hits the weight room hard. He does have good height and decent speed though. I just can't see him lining up every down in the SEC next year. That's just me and I've been wrong before. Good thing is, he has a year to add some weight and lower body strength. I'm just glad he's a Hog!

I agree with this, Roland doesn't have the best training facilities, he needs some time to work on his body.

As far as the comparison to the Eufala tight end listed at 6'3 250, Cantrell is listed at 6'4 250, so a bit thinner, but shouldn't be that big a difference.

HawgMa44

Another difference with Cantrell is that he literally plays everything except kickoff return. TE, DE, kicks PAT, punts and kick off. I'd say he is bringing a level of endurance unlike most. Happy he's a HOG!

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: jcul28 on November 08, 2014, 05:21:45 pm
Do you think he plays TE next year RD? I am all Hog fan and never try to bash a recruit but his legs looked like shoe strings. I didn't see him do anything "great" last night. Couldn't get separation from a 5'7" 140 DB either concerned me. Of course, I got into the game which was a good one btw...and didn't focus on him every play.

Edited to add: compared to his opponents TE who is a SR for Eufaula that is 6'3 250. Comparing size I guess is why I noticed how thin he was.

He will play TE. You need to see him close up. He's much thicker than what you're describing.

His accelration and speed at Arkansas' camp is the best I've seen of a TE at one of the camps. 

razorfrog

You win the prize for clueless post of the year.  He is a really thick guy, no clue what the hell you are looking at

1highhog

Were you perhaps sipping on peyote while looking at him?  Because there was no way you were seeing right if you thought he looked like you described.  I would ask you about shrooms but they no longer have the same effect as they once did.

jcul28

I was looking right at him, just feet from him. If his bottom half is thick then, then we have problems. His upper body is toned up, his bottom half, not so much.

jcul28

Quote from: 1highhog on November 08, 2014, 10:28:32 pm
Were you perhaps sipping on peyote while looking at him?  Because there was no way you were seeing right if you thought he looked like you described.  I would ask you about shrooms but they no longer have the same effect as they once did.

The peyote is pretty good. Despite being a Hog fan, I call it how it is. Not questioning RD at all but comparing him to the opposing tight end, size wise, was surprisingly contrasting. Again, did show good speed. Being thin is not a knock on the kid. Hes a Hog and that's what's important to me.

SWMO_HOG

Quote from: jcul28 on November 08, 2014, 11:41:19 pm
I was looking right at him, just feet from him. If his bottom half is thick then, then we have problems. His upper body is toned up, his bottom half, not so much.
I admit, I've never seen the guy in person. But, didn't he win the OK state title in shot put? That requires some major lower-body strength!

jcul28

I guess I should say he didn't look strong in the lower half. I don't know if he is or isn't? I don't know his power numbers. But again, glad he's a Hog.

jjdlc

Quote from: SWMO_HOG on November 09, 2014, 12:00:49 am
I admit, I've never seen the guy in person. But, didn't he win the OK state title in shot put? That requires some major lower-body strength!

2 years running, expected to most likely do so again.  Strength is not a problem here.  Been a rash of posters trying to raise doubt about one recruit or another lately.

MuskogeeHogFan

Yeah, the kid has "stick" legs...not so much.

Check out this picture of him catching a ball at the Arkansas camp.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Board/59414/Contents/Austin-Cantrell-29175975
Go Hogs Go!

flippinhogmana

We had another "stick legs" guy (teased by that name by his fellow pros when he was a rookie) a few years back who did okay at Arkansas, fella by the name of DMAC. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

secneahog

This is a stupid topic. The poster doesn't say one thing good about Austin, but praises other as he name drops them.

1. You say he has no burst. RD says he has the best burst he's EVER seen as a TE. At a ARKANSAS camp.

2. Op says his lower body is small, needs another year in the weight room, if he has legit sec lower body, were in trouble. RD has said he will play as a true freshman, and I pic was posted of Austin clearly showing his lower body is built great.

The jury is in.....this topic is STUPID.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

razorfrog

Anyone who throws 57 foot in the shot put has to have incredible strong legs

Nipsey Mussle

Are we sure jcul was looking at the right player? I actually mean that seriously...

I will say I'm surprised Cantrell doesn't produce more stats at Roland. However, it's rare to see RD rave about a kid's talent the way he has Cantrell. I'm looking forward to the results.

Hawgzinbowlz

Thanks for attempting not to bash...and the proof is in the pictures...

" GO HOGS "

hawgsmellgud

Well he out weights the guy by a buck ten. Dumb.

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 10, 2014, 12:31:11 am

Are we sure jcul was looking at the right player? I actually mean that seriously...

I will say I'm surprised Cantrell doesn't produce more stats at Roland. However, it's rare to see RD rave about a kid's talent the way he has Cantrell. I'm looking forward to the results.

Exactly
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

GrizzlyRider07

Wow you have obviously watched the wrong kid! I've seen him play a few times and by no means is he small at all. As a matter of fact he, he was probably one of the biggest kids on the field. Clearly looked to be in the 230-240 pound range. Also he can move very well for his size and will definitely see the field as a freshman next year!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!