Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New coaches don't always fit with past coaches' recruits

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 07, 2014, 02:11:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Simple as that. We do not have to dig into how well Bobby Petrino recruited while at Arkansas. I do not want to discuss that again.

I count at least 10 Petrino signees from 2010-12 whose college careers were probably changed for the worse by the coaching changes at Arkansas.

Whenever a coaching change occurs -- in all of them -- some players do not fit the new system. Some players have trouble adapting physically, some mentally, some emotionally.

Having Smile plop down there for several months running Happy Fun Time Camp, letting everybody get fat, threw a wrench in there that was even more damaging than your ordinary coaching change.

Petrino had his share of duds and washouts, but it is hard to tell how those recruits would have panned out, if not for the dee-zass-ter.
[CENSORED]!

Mike_e

Patience.  The water is high but the tide is running out.  Soon we'll be walking out of here like a bunch of escaped Hebrew fellas.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Ironhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 07, 2014, 02:11:07 pm
Simple as that. We do not have to dig into how well Bobby Petrino recruited while at Arkansas. I do not want to discuss that again.

I count at least 10 Petrino signees from 2010-12 whose college careers were probably changed for the worse by the coaching changes at Arkansas.

Whenever a coaching change occurs -- in all of them -- some players do not fit the new system. Some players have trouble adapting physically, some mentally, some emotionally.

Having Smile plop down there for several months running Happy Fun Time Camp, letting everybody get fat, threw a wrench in there that was even more damaging than your ordinary coaching change.

Petrino had his share of duds and washouts, but it is hard to tell how those recruits would have panned out, if not for the dee-zass-ter.

Exactly.  A prime example of this is the transition from the Eddie Sutton era to the Nolan Richardson era in basketball.  Their philosophies were on opposite ends of the spectrum.  The players on the Arkansas roster when Eddie left were recruited to play a very methodical, plodding style on both ends of the court.  Nolan brought an uptempo style that required more athleticism.  The players left over from Eddie's era were not bad players, they  just didn't possess the skill set required for the new style.