Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the story on the FB from Bentonville?

Started by scruf, November 07, 2014, 08:29:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scruf

EXPERTS:

247's Composite rankings have him as the #4 FB in the country. Is Arkansas recruiting him? If no, why not?

http://247sports.com/Player/Hekili-Keliiliki-68863

PorkRinds

He's a bit thin for a FB I think.  I think short and stocky makes a good FB.  I've heard a bit about the kid, but nothing definitive.

scruf

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 07, 2014, 08:36:46 am
He's a bit thin for a FB I think.  I think short and stocky makes a good FB.  I've heard a bit about the kid, but nothing definitive.

He's 6'1", 228 as a HS senior. Kody Walker was 6'1", 230 as a HS senior. Seems thick enough. The #2 FB prospect is 225. Adding 10 pounds wouldn't be a stretch. Also, he has a Stanford offer at FB and they like them thick there. Not buying size, lol. Anyone else?

Wildhog

We already have like eleven scholarship FB's.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on November 07, 2014, 08:45:19 am
He's 6'1", 228 as a HS senior. Kody Walker was 6'1", 230 as a HS senior. Seems thick enough. The #2 FB prospect is 225. Adding 10 pounds wouldn't be a stretch. Also, he has a Stanford offer at FB and they like them thick there. Not buying size, lol. Anyone else?

Not a fan close enough to know for sure, but I thought I'd read where they were playing him more on d-line. This was earlier in the year when they were losing.

Vantage 8 dude

Gosh, I sure have no definitive answer on why the Hogs aren't apparently that interested (if at all). My only guess would be that they either have other (greater) priorities for the class, aren't particularly impressed with the young man's potential, or have "bigger fish" they're hoping to land, or a combination of two or more of these.

PorkRinds

I thought I read he was 211.  Just noticed he was 228 after I posted that. 

scruf

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 07, 2014, 08:51:55 am
Gosh, I sure have no definitive answer on why the Hogs aren't apparently that interested (if at all). My only guess would be that they either have other (greater) priorities for the class, aren't particularly impressed with the young man's potential, or have "bigger fish" they're hoping to land, or a combination of two or more of these.

Good guesses. I see it that way as well. Just curious if anyone had any insider knowledge.

scruf

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 07, 2014, 08:52:43 am
I thought I read he was 211.  Just noticed he was 228 after I posted that. 

Yeah, I hear you man. Who really knows how accurate any of these weights are though for real.

schmeck

The story is he is brilliant.  Offers from Columbia, Penn, Dartmouth, Harvard, and Stanford.  Would love to add a nice Fullback but this kid needs to take his skills to the Ivy Leagues and get that high dollar diploma.
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

oldhawg

Quote from: schmeck on November 07, 2014, 10:04:27 am
The story is he is brilliant.  Offers from Columbia, Penn, Dartmouth, Harvard, and Stanford.  Would love to add a nice Fullback but this kid needs to take his skills to the Ivy Leagues and get that high dollar diploma.

If that's the case, perhaps he has been straight forward with Arkansas coaches, and let that know that is his intent.  Makes sense to me.

OLDHOG

I have to agree with ya here

secneahog

And Kody walker is a awesome fb......
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

onebadrubi

Quote from: secneahog on November 07, 2014, 10:42:43 am
And Kody walker is a awesome fb......

He's doing his damnest to show he needs 10 touches and 2 catches a game right now.  And I for one think he needs them. 

I hope the statements in here about him wanting an IVY league type education are true.  It's nice to see sometimes a kid that has the brains is saying I'm going to use my football talents to get one of the best educations in America. 

hawgwash

This is strictly speculation as I know nothing of this young man other than what I've read in this thread.  But we currently have 3 tight ends committed in this class.  It would be 4 if you included Jamario Bell, but it seems he's expected to be a TE.  That's 12% of your recruiting class allocated to one position.  (Bell as TE would make it 16%).  One reason for that is we frequently use 2 and sometimes 3 TEs at the same time, but still that's a lot of TEs in one recruiting class.  Another explanation is that this was a particularly strong class for TEs that we had a legitimate shot at, so we didn't want to pass on any of them.  But I think another reason is the size and skill set frequently possessed by a TE can be adapted to numerous other positions, such as LB, DE, or even interior OL if they grow big enough.  One of those other positions that a TE's size and skill set can be useful for is FB.  Between all the TEs we have in this class, the TEs already on the roster, the scholarship FBs already on the roster, and the ability to recruit walkons to the FB spot, we have greater needs for the scholarship (LBs and DBs in particular) than at FB.

Wildhog

I love Kody Walker.  He needs a bigger role in this offense. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

TMc

Who's scholarship would you use to recruit him?  We're going to have around 5 scholarships left, more than likely.., and we need another RB, LB, Safety, CB, and WR with speed.  I don't see how you could offer him.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Heard elsewhere that he's from a Mormon family and will be doing his 2 year mission. Which may explain his lack of offers. His family may also be looking for a more educational collegiate experience than an athletic one.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: scruf on November 07, 2014, 08:29:14 am
EXPERTS:

247's Composite rankings have him as the #4 FB in the country. Is Arkansas recruiting him? If no, why not?

http://247sports.com/Player/Hekili-Keliiliki-68863

Arkansas has evaluated. You don't see many FB-H-backs offered.

Any staff that recruits off by services will fail. They have to recruit based off of their own evaluations. 

Adam Stokes

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 07, 2014, 01:14:26 pm
Heard elsewhere that he's from a Mormon family and will be doing his 2 year mission. Which may explain his lack of offers. His family may also be looking for a more educational collegiate experience than an athletic one.

Just facebook stalked him.  He was born in the same town as where Porter Gustin is playing, and his living room has a statue of Christ that is common in Mormon homes, so you are probably dead on.

thebignasty

I was at the Bentonville-Fayetteville game last night.  He's an impressive looking athlete but I don't think there is anyway he's 230 pounds right now.  Looks more like 210-15ish.   Played running back and defensive end.  Was all over the field on defense.  Thought Bentonville's other running backs looked better with the ball.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

There's no "I" in team, 'cause they're all in his name.....
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

ricepig

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on November 08, 2014, 11:30:22 pm
There's no "I" in team, 'cause they're all in his name.....

It would be nice to hear what Keef would call him......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2014, 11:33:41 pm
It would be nice to hear what Keef would call him......

Mother of God, I hadn't thought of that.  Offer this kid now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hey Super

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

secneahog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 07, 2014, 10:48:10 am
He's doing his damnest to show he needs 10 touches and 2 catches a game right now.  And I for one think he needs them. 

I hope the statements in here about him wanting an IVY league type education are true.  It's nice to see sometimes a kid that has the brains is saying I'm going to use my football talents to get one of the best educations in America.

Bielema started increasing his role and than he fumbled on the goal line in the bama game..
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: secneahog on November 09, 2014, 09:07:28 am
Bielema started increasing his role and than he fumbled on the goal line in the bama game..

He was killing miss state with that quick fb dive play, no clue why we went away from it.

secneahog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 09, 2014, 09:16:03 am
He was killing miss state with that quick fb dive play, no clue why we went away from it.

I don't know. I just know kody walker isn't a Kiero small. He's not a head thumper fb. I like kody. I think he looks good this year. Just need to find a mean, thumper fb.

ricepig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 09, 2014, 09:16:03 am

It went for 8,2,6,3 in that order. It wasn't killing them, but was a nice change for them to adjust to.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2014, 09:35:07 am
It went for 8,2,6,3 in that order. It wasn't killing them, but was a nice change for them to adjust to.

That's almost 5 yards a pop from a fullback. I'll take that any day of the week

ricepig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 09, 2014, 12:56:19 pm
That's almost 5 yards a pop from a fullback. I'll take that any day of the week

Well, figures lie, and liars figure, if you know what I mean. Not all averages are the same. It was an effective play, but it isn't one that's going to work 10 times a game.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Wildhog on November 09, 2014, 12:32:40 am
Mother of God, I hadn't thought of that.  Offer this kid now.

"Dat Monnnaho kilicky licky icky sticky slicky e.e fellow can flat out score..! I was hoping the kid never saw the field Chuck..".
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Wildhog

If we didn't have 27 scholarship fullbacks...
1909/1964/1965/1977

carolinahogger

There are no athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.  An athletic scholarship to Stanford or Duke would be the ticket for this kid.