Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hardest to Replace in 2015

Started by scruf, November 07, 2014, 05:15:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scruf

Offense:

Hands down it's Brey Cook. The senior's work ethic and improvement over the last two years have really shored up the RT position. He has done it the right way both on and off the field and is one of the team's unquestioned leaders. Brian Wallace has the biggest shoes to fill on next year's roster and I'm still not sure who will back him up.

Next up, I'd have to say AJ Derby. His pass catching skills have been a big surprise and it's been fun to watch him play his way from forgotten backup QB into an NFL draft pick at TE. He is a well-rounded TE who is very physical at the point of attack and who I wish we could have for one more year. Of all the incoming TEs in 2015, I see Austin Cantrell as a guy who can eventually play a similar role, although the learning curve will be steep. that said, we're in pretty good shape at TE, at least from a talent standpoint. Jeremy Sprinkle has flashed in the passing game but needs to show more consistency when the play isn't going his direction.

Defense:

I'm not sure Trey Flowers is replaceable. What he's done this year in the face of double-teams from the highest level of OL competition is impressive but the way he has transformed into the leader of the defense has been nothing short of phenomenal. He brings it every play and it will be fun to watch him on Sundays. There is a lot of talent and experience behind Trey on the roster (Deatrich Wise, JaMichael Winston, Brandon Lewis, Tevin Beanum) and there will probably be a few blue chips in the '15 class, such as Jamario Bell, but Trey's intangibles and production are truly next level. I'm looking forward to seeing who emerges on that end of the line.

Finally, I've watched and/or covered Razorback football for over 25 years and I've never seen a player improve from his first year to his second year as a Hog quite like Martrell Spaight. Just wow. His physicality is a perfect match from Robb Smith's scheme and Randy Shannon has really coached him up but Martrell is the definition of the phrase "has a motor." I like Randy Ramsey at that spot next year and he brings a lot of length but nobody arrives at the ball with Spaight's special brand of nasty.

GHG! :razorback:

Peter Porker

It would not shock me if Wallace moved to LT and Skipper moved to a more natural RT position.

Wallace  Tretola  Smothers/Ragnow  Kirkland  Skipper

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Chief Mac

Offense:

Cook....its hard to replace experience

Defense:

Spaight/Flowers
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

1highhog

Quote from: scruf on November 07, 2014, 05:15:28 am
Offense:

Hands down it's Brey Cook. The senior's work ethic and improvement over the last two years have really shored up the RT position. He has done it the right way both on and off the field and is one of the team's unquestioned leaders. Brian Wallace has the biggest shoes to fill on next year's roster and I'm still not sure who will back him up.

Next up, I'd have to say AJ Derby. His pass catching skills have been a big surprise and it's been fun to watch him play his way from forgotten backup QB into an NFL draft pick at TE. He is a well-rounded TE who is very physical at the point of attack and who I wish we could have for one more year. Of all the incoming TEs in 2015, I see Austin Cantrell as a guy who can eventually play a similar role, although the learning curve will be steep. that said, we're in pretty good shape at TE, at least from a talent standpoint. Jeremy Sprinkle has flashed in the passing game but needs to show more consistency when the play isn't going his direction.

Defense:

I'm not sure Trey Flowers is replaceable. What he's done this year in the face of double-teams from the highest level of OL competition is impressive but the way he has transformed into the leader of the defense has been nothing short of phenomenal. He brings it every play and it will be fun to watch him on Sundays. There is a lot of talent and experience behind Trey on the roster (Deatrich Wise, JaMichael Winston, Brandon Lewis, Tevin Beanum) and there will probably be a few blue chips in the '15 class, such as Jamario Bell, but Trey's intangibles and production are truly next level. I'm looking forward to seeing who emerges on that end of the line.

Finally, I've watched and/or covered Razorback football for over 25 years and I've never seen a player improve from his first year to his second year as a Hog quite like Martrell Spaight. Just wow. His physicality is a perfect match from Robb Smith's scheme and Randy Shannon has really coached him up but Martrell is the definition of the phrase "has a motor." I like Randy Ramsey at that spot next year and he brings a lot of length but nobody arrives at the ball with Spaight's special brand of nasty.

GHG! :razorback:

I have to admit I've called AJ Derby some rather unkind words that I don't use in public, I try not to curse much but last year his QB play was dreadful to watch and it would have drove me to drinking if I hadn't already been there.  Images of Peanut Adams kept popping up in my head, Derby was awful at QB.  Then when CBB said he was going to try to play him at TE I was saying, dang, he's going to try everything to put his friends boy on the field, and he sucks!  But then something happens, Derby looks like a natural TE, he was born to play this position.

Then we learn that he tried to recruit Derby to Wisky to play TE for him but he wanted to play QB.  Just think how good AJ could have been had he took CB's advice and started off at TE in the first place?  After just this far into the season, scouts are watching Derby play.  He went from a zero to possibly getting a chance to play in the NFL.  Every TE should look at that and see that they will be used in this Offense and they will have the Coaching and the possibility to play on the next level.

IMHO the player the going to be the hardest to replace no doubt is Trey Flowers.  He'll go down as one of my favorites in my list of all time Razorbacks simply because of the times we now live in.  Trey could have easily left last year for the riches of the NFL, but he chose to come back and finish College when most would have left.  This shows to me his dedication to his team, his education, and no doubt his parents. 

He helped anchor this defense this year and turn things around with our new Defensive Coaches, he was without question the leader.  He was double teamed, held on so many plays, without it being called, that's not me being a homer, I have DVR'd every game, he was held at least 50% of the time without getting a call his way.  Even with all of that he still caused so many QB hurries, I just love his determination, I'll follow his career throughout his time as I do other Razorbacks, I hope you have a great career Trey, I've sure enjoyed your time here as a Razorback.

scruf

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 07, 2014, 05:33:18 am
It would not shock me if Wallace moved to LT and Skipper moved to a more natural RT position.

Wallace  Tretola  Smothers/Ragnow  Kirkland  Skipper

I could see that.

The Kig

Flowers, without a doubt.  He was wavering on coming back this year before an in-home visit and has demonstrated leadership through a very tough season.  His physical talent is undeniable and while he could have been making money this year, his commitment to "team" combined with results on the field are going to pay dividends with NFL owners. 

As odd as it will obviously appear on the surface, replacing Brandon Allen will also be difficult.  We have multiple QB's on campus with varying levels of experience that weren't able to do it last year and haven't done it this year.  That makes it glaringly apparent that there is a significant gap between our #1 and everyone else.   
Poker Porker

EastexHawg

What are the chances Jonathan Williams declares for the draft?

I agree that Trey Flowers will be almost impossible to replace.  I think he's the best player in the SEC this year.

Tim Harris

I understand the choice of Cook but at the same time I think some of the kids we are recruiting are just as good.  We will miss his leadership on the OLine but by next year Skipper and Kirkland will be in their 3rd year of starting.  For me the biggest shoes to fill will be Spaight.  We always struggle to get LBers.  Hopefully Ramsey or one of the other young guys can step up.

secneahog

Aj Derby could be replaced by Austin Cantrell or Will Gragg. Will Gragg is a very good blocker.

Jwill declaring for the draft 30%.  To be in the first cpl rounds of the draft as a rb you have to be astonishing. Jwill is very good, but needs another year. Rbs just don't go as high as they use to.

Cook will be missed, but Wallace is going to be a 1st round draft pic when its all said and done.
Bielema has praised Wallace to the highest remarks.

Trey Flowers will be absolutely missed. Good thing we are LOADED at that position. Bell and Ledbetter will bring even more depth there. Watch out if Porter Gustin also signs.

Spaight hurts. Amazing Razorback. I think this one stings more, just because how young we are at the position. We will have a great stable next year tho. Add Graham and Dre Greenlaw.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

gmarv

I have a list of all time favorite hogs.trey flowers is in that list,he,ll be missed.

HamIAm

Quote from: The Kig on November 07, 2014, 09:05:45 am
As odd as it will obviously appear on the surface, replacing Brandon Allen will also be difficult.   

Allen is leaving?

The Kig

Quote from: HamIAm on November 07, 2014, 10:15:38 am
Allen is leaving?

Touche'  ... ok, so not a Senior, but can't I just dream about an SEC level QB... was somewhat tongue in cheek, but just shocking to me that it hasn't happened and may not happen even next year.
Poker Porker

scruf

Allen is an SEC level QB. He's just not a top-level SEC QB.

MS_HogFan

SOOIE

code red

Quote from: scruf on November 07, 2014, 11:56:10 am
Disagree.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

1highhog

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Matt Jones put Allen in what I think was a good ranking yesterday on his show.  In a star ranking system, 1 star being poor and 5 stars being great, he said that he'd give Allen a 3 star ranking, he's an SEC quality QB, he's servicible.  He went on to say that his ceiling was a 3.8 on his best day, never making it to that 4th star, he can beat you, when given time, just like all the QBs that Saban has had over the years.  None of them have been great, but behind Bamas OLine they didn't have to be, they had all day to throw. 

Our Oline is massive no doubt, but they're young as well and have been no where near dominant in SEC play, giving BA no time on a lot of occasions no time to throw or great lanes for our gifted RB's.  I think we'll see a marked improvement in our OLine play next year, and this will help the whole offense. 

Pig in the Pokey

Trey Flowers. Last year i said Hocker.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hogsmo Kramer

I told my wife the other day after she heard some guys talking hog football at work the problem we have now on O is two fold.

Our QB isn't great and neither are our receivers (not TE's). If just one of those changes we're good IMO.

Put some elite receivers around Allen and he'll be fine, not gonna beat you on his own, but fine nonetheless since the receivers will make up for his deficiencies. On the other hand put an elite QB back there and I think our receivers would be fine, since he'd be able to throw into a tighter window and throw receivers open, as well as hopefully make some plays with his feet and be a playmaker himself.

Having just "decent" receivers or a "serviceable" QB at the same time puts us where we are now.

Inconsistent in the passing game which makes it hard to run on SEC D's consistently as well.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on November 07, 2014, 01:34:14 pm

Put some elite receivers around Allen and he'll be fine, not gonna beat you on his own, but fine nonetheless since the receivers will make up for his deficiencies. On the other hand put an elite QB back there and I think our receivers would be fine, since he'd be able to throw into a tighter window and throw receivers open, as well as hopefully make some plays with his feet and be a playmaker himself.

Having just "decent" receivers or a "serviceable" QB at the same time puts us where we are now.

Agree.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on November 07, 2014, 01:34:14 pm
I told my wife the other day after she heard some guys talking hog football at work the problem we have now on O is two fold.

Our QB isn't great and neither are our receivers (not TE's). If just one of those changes we're good IMO.

Inconsistent in the passing game which makes it hard to run on SEC D's consistently as well.

agreed