Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

for all those saying Chaney can't get it done ? who would you hire as O/C who will ?

Started by tophawg19, November 06, 2014, 06:07:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

personally i think he gets another year to prove himself and fit the players to the system. Who is the magic man the Anti chaney crowd wants hired . Names please , not just a anyone but him response . Why do you think your guy is better ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WilsonHog

tophawg19

ok and what would lead you to believe they would come ?  also what about Pittman ? i think he and Chaney may be a package deal. something to think on

Hogsmo Kramer

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 06, 2014, 06:43:49 pm
ok and what would lead you to believe they would come ?  also what about Pittman ? i think he and Chaney may be a package deal. something to think on

I'm not saying they would come here, but I'm sure they would listen to SEC money.  You said who would you hire in Chaney's place.  I gave some viable examples.

The stuff about Chaney and Pittman being a package deal needs to stop.  They were at UT together and both were losing their job.  Pittman is highly regarded as one of the best in business might have gone to Bama if we hadn't ponied up. 

Do you think he was asking them if Chaney could come along?  He is paid handsomely and has done a great job.  I don't think he would follow Chaney out the door if Chaney were let go this year or even next or if that ever happens.

If Chaney is let go where do you think he goes?  Do you think he would immediately go to another P5 school that is going to pay the OL coach in excess of 500k?  No.  He would most likely land at a lower P5 school or a mid major or be an NFL position coach.

As far as I can tell Chaney and Pittman coached together a grand total of 2 years at TN before coming to Arkansas.  It's not like they have been linked hand in hand through most of their coaching career. 

Besides being the OL Coach Pittman is associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.  Pittman is from the region and has family in NWA.

I'm sure Coach B will evaluate the offense at the end of the year and do what he sees fit.  I don't think losing Pittman if he ditches Chaney enters his mind or is part of the equation.   He isn't going to hold on to an under performing coach to keep another even if that were a possibility. 

The fact that people keep bringing up well what if Pittman goes with him is just stupid so just stop.  He didn't go to Bama when they called so he sure as hell isn't following Chaney.  He is Sam Pittman, his own man and a damn good coach on his own.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Poker_hog

I wasn't too excited about the def coordinator we hired but that turned out pretty good.  Can't be scare.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2014, 06:57:16 pm
I'm not saying they would come here, but I'm sure they would listen to SEC money.  You said who would you hire in Chaney's place.  I gave some viable examples.

The stuff about Chaney and Pittman being a package deal needs to stop.  They were at UT together and both were losing their job.  Pittman is highly regarded as one of the best in business might have gone to Bama if we hadn't ponied up. 

Do you think he was asking them if Chaney could come along?  He is paid handsomely and has done a great job.  I don't think he would follow Chaney out the door if Chaney were let go this year or even next or if that ever happens.

If Chaney is let go where do you think he goes?  Do you think he would immediately go to another P5 school that is going to pay the OL coach in excess of 500k?  No.  He would most likely land at a lower P5 school or a mid major or be an NFL position coach.

As far as I can tell Chaney and Pittman coached together a grand total of 2 years at TN before coming to Arkansas.  It's not like they have been linked hand in hand through most of their coaching career. 

Besides being the OL Coach Pittman is associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.  Pittman is from the region and has family in NWA.

I'm sure Coach B will evaluate the offense at the end of the year and do what he sees fit.  I don't think losing Pittman if he ditches Chaney enters his mind or is part of the equation.   He isn't going to hold on to an under performing coach to keep another even if that were a possibility. 

The fact that people keep bringing up well what if Pittman goes with him is just stupid so just stop.  He didn't go to Bama when they called so he sure as hell isn't following Chaney.  He is Sam Pittman, his own man and a damn good coach on his own.

Agree on Pittman.

If and I mean If Chaney were let go at seasons end do people really think Pittman would just be like "ok I'm out too"?!

If that did happen that'd be two jobs he was let go from in two years. Not sure Pittman would want to hitch his ride to that wagon even if they are friends, he's smarter than that.

And for the record I'm cool giving Chaney another year but I'm also cool with letting him go if Coach B thinks it needs to happen.

TMc

I may be wrong.., but I thought Auburn couldn't stand Tony Franklin.., or possibly was it Tuberville and he didn't work out?  Can't remember.., but Chaney or whoever .., must be a fit with BB.., or it will not work.

texas tush hog

Chaney is going nowhere, so give it a rest, nobody is listening who even remotely has a say.

Hawg_Thai'd

I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Hogsmo Kramer

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on November 06, 2014, 07:37:17 pm
Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

I knew that'd get a rise outta someone.

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that ol Lame Kitten would't fit in real good around here.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

RedSoxFan

Pittman will not leave if Chaney is fired/asked to leave. Biggest misconception ever!

I'm not sure on the OC situation beyond knowing the Coach B is adamant about a balanced offense. By God, he will get a balanced offense. I think if he were to go with a new OC, it will be someone out of the big ten or big 12. He would want them to have fertile recruiting contacts in the midwest and the Texas area. I don't have names, just my opinion..

Danny J

Still firmly believe that Chaney is running the offense according to what CBB wants him to do. So it may not ALL be on Chaney. I do know in watching the Tennessee games when he was there or when he was at Purdue for 8 seasons they sure passed the ball a lot and not only that they would throw deep quite a bit. I am not sure if the offense has been cut back because of our personnel or if he is running the offense that CBB wants or could be a combination of both. Who knows.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2014, 06:57:16 pm
Regardless they are extremely close. This is from personal observation and from people inside the football program. When they are in the same room with us during post practice interviews they are always joking back and forth with each other.

No one can say with certainty what Pittman would do if Chaney were asked to leave but nobody over at the Football Operations Center that I've talked to thinks that there will be any staff changes.

They've told me that Chaney and Pittman work extremely well together and that Bielema likes that.

RedSoxFan

Quote from: Danny J on November 06, 2014, 07:58:25 pm
Still firmly believe that Chaney is running the offense according to what CBB wants him to do. So it may not ALL be on Chaney. I do know in watching the Tennessee games when he was there or when he was at Purdue for 8 seasons they sure passed the ball a lot and not only that they would throw deep quite a bit. I am not sure if the offense has been cut back because of our personnel or if he is running the offense that CBB wants or could be a combination of both. Who knows.

I think Coach B does have input on the philosophies, but I don't think he is calling the plays. I firmly believe that its Chaney calling the plays. I just think he is out of sorts because of the lack of a deep threat and capable QB. (not bashing just stating the obvious)

ScotchHog

Shaw, if Stanford fires him after this season.
or Tom O'Brien  from UVA.

Both are better fits with Bielema's football philosphy.
Always waiting

HOGINTENNESSEE

I am a Jim Chaney fan. I know he can get it done here. We just need the players.

That being said Kevin Wilson assuming he is let go from IU. Ran a pro style offense at OU before he and Bob went all Spread.

RedSoxFan

Quote from: ScotchHog on November 06, 2014, 08:04:37 pm
Shaw, if Stanford fires him after this season.
or Tom O'Brien  from UVA.

Both are better fits with Bielema's football philosphy.

Shaw isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I got a feeling that if Hoke is out at Michigan, Doug Nussmeier may make another appearance in the SEC.

Danny J

Quote from: RedSoxFan on November 06, 2014, 08:04:26 pm
I think Coach B does have input on the philosophies, but I don't think he is calling the plays. I firmly believe that its Chaney calling the plays. I just think he is out of sorts because of the lack of a deep threat and capable QB. (not bashing just stating the obvious)
I think CBB can and probably does overrule Chaney on some plays as he has said in the past but I think it is more collaborative on both their parts and others in the booth as to what might work in any given circumstance. It really is hard to know for sure. I just don't think we have the QB but mainly don't have the WR's or the passblockers to give deep routes time to develop so I think it is scaled back quite a bit. I think it is a combination of all the above and not just one particular thing.

razorbackfaninar

For the record I think Chaney will do fine here, but if he does move on this year, Doug Nussmeier will probably be out of a job this year along with Hoke. I don't really follow Michigian football, so I don't know what their issues are this year other than they aren't winning, but Nussmeier did a pretty good job at Bama. He can run the kind of Offense Coach B likes.

Missooie

I don't think there is anyone better for the job than Chaney at this point. I don't love what he has done so far, but considering some of our circumstances, he has done some great things. It's obvious he has made some not so great decisions also, but who hasn't? CBB and CRS have both made questionable calls as well.

This is the thing that most people need to consider. Almost everything that has happened to keep us from winning games has been a player mistake. Even on some of the calls we call bad, if the player had made the play we would have all said it was the perfect call. I remember last year in particular (although I can't recall the game it was in) that CJC called a flea flicker that worked perfectly close to the red zone. Everyone loved the call because it worked great! The same thing happens this year and doesn't work and we all hate the call.

Chaney might not be the best coordinator in the world, but he is certainly better than most. We had an outstanding offense three years ago that was taken away because the people who were backups were not trained to be great. Those players are our seniors and juniors now. Consider this thought. If those seniors and juniors would have had the same development as our players are currently receiving, they would have developed at the same rate our freshman and sophomore classes are now, which honestly is quite outstanding. Now, not only does Chaney have to teach them his philosophy, he also has to break every bad habit obtained by those players in the two years of no real teaching. Some players learned fairly well, whereas the majority are taking longer. This is why our younger classes are playing before the older classes.

Next year Chaney will be in a lot better a position to grade. Not because of his calls, but because the players he has taught for three years should be developed extensively. Until then, we must wait patiently unfortunately.

3kgthog

Dowell Loggains. No, I'm not kidding. Solid resume and loves the Hogs. Coming here would be a demotion, though.

Acehawg

Quote from: Missooie on November 06, 2014, 08:50:10 pm
I don't think there is anyone better for the job than Chaney at this point. I don't love what he has done so far, but considering some of our circumstances, he has done some great things. It's obvious he has made some not so great decisions also, but who hasn't? CBB and CRS have both made questionable calls as well.

This is the thing that most people need to consider. Almost everything that has happened to keep us from winning games has been a player mistake. Even on some of the calls we call bad, if the player had made the play we would have all said it was the perfect call. I remember last year in particular (although I can't recall the game it was in) that CJC called a flea flicker that worked perfectly close to the red zone. Everyone loved the call because it worked great! The same thing happens this year and doesn't work and we all hate the call.

Chaney might not be the best coordinator in the world, but he is certainly better than most. We had an outstanding offense three years ago that was taken away because the people who were backups were not trained to be great. Those players are our seniors and juniors now. Consider this thought. If those seniors and juniors would have had the same development as our players are currently receiving, they would have developed at the same rate our freshman and sophomore classes are now, which honestly is quite outstanding. Now, not only does Chaney have to teach them his philosophy, he also has to break every bad habit obtained by those players in the two years of no real teaching. Some players learned fairly well, whereas the majority are taking longer. This is why our younger classes are playing before the older classes.

Next year Chaney will be in a lot better a position to grade. Not because of his calls, but because the players he has taught for three years should be developed extensively. Until then, we must wait patiently unfortunately.

Great post!

tophawg19

good football discussion . some curious names too. I also don't expect any changes unless someone moves up to another school . And after this season i don't see coaches jumping ship. next year every player should be totally familiar with the system. next year will be the proving season . Thanks MIKE IRWIN for your input . i've heard others say they seem to want to be a package deal.

popcornhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 06, 2014, 06:07:40 pm
personally i think he gets another year to prove himself and fit the players to the system. Who is the magic man the Anti chaney crowd wants hired . Names please , not just a anyone but him response . Why do you think your guy is better ?

He's the only coach that I'm particularly critical of at this juncture. I'm not calling for him to be canned though. And I don't have any suggestions for replacing him if we did.

I will say that I am yet to be convinced that he can get it done though.
WPS

hawgmasta

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 06, 2014, 09:08:24 pm
Dowell Loggains. No, I'm not kidding. Solid resume and loves the Hogs. Coming here would be a demotion, though.

That's a very interesting choice. I've heard coaches say he is a whiz kid when it comes to play calling.

PorkRinds

CBB brought chaney here to balance HIMSELF out, and throw the ball. He will let him do it. He knows what H&D limitations of our offense are. He won't fire chaney after this year. No way.

Danny J

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2014, 10:00:41 pm
CBB brought chaney here to balance HIMSELF out, and throw the ball. He will let him do it. He knows what H&D limitations of our offense are. He won't fire chaney after this year. No way.
I agree.....no chance that happens after this year.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Have thought this as well. Still very early in his career though but could possibly help with QB development as well.

For the record I'm fine if Bielema keeps Chaney. His call but I do reserve the inalienable right if every fan to critique JC and the last 3 games will say a lot.

We are in a unique situation because JC is our first real OC since 1997
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Sooie71923

This team needs stability on the coaching staff. For recruiting and development.

If a coach gets promoted and a better job then so be it. But Arkansas cannot be a school that goes through coaches like diapers. 

Coach B knows how to run a program and knows when a coach needs to go.

Stability and consistency is huge for Arkansas because we haven't had it in so long.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 06, 2014, 10:56:48 pm
This team needs stability on the coaching staff. For recruiting and development.

If a coach gets promoted and a better job then so be it. But Arkansas cannot be a school that goes through coaches like diapers. 

Coach B knows how to run a program and knows when a coach needs to go.

Stability and consistency is huge for Arkansas because we haven't had it in so long.

Yeah stability was huge for defense this year. Glad we didn't lose any coaches on defense after last season. Oh wait we lost every defensive coach except 1

Hoginsavga

My biggest complaint with CJC is the lack of crossing routes 5 to 10 yards over the middle and screens. Also not getting the backs more involved in the passing game can be included. The sideline passes 30 to 40 yards deep have not been very successful this year, IMO.

However, I think CJC is the logical choice for the next two years and after that all of the coaches are fair game for criticism or replacing.

scruf

Chaney will look like a genius this time next year when BA is throwing SLUGGOs to field-stretcher KJ Hill and deep posts to JoJo Robinson while Hatcher, Cornelius, Mitchell, Morgan, Hollister and Henry do work underneath. The homerun threat of Hill and Robinson alone should be enough to keep that extra safety form patrolling the middle of the field. Intermediate routes and throwing lanes will get cleaned up tremendously. If BA improves even half of what he showed from his SO to JR years then I think next year's team is poised for 7-8 wins.

Kevin

I thought kj was like joe Adams shifty, but not a guy to stretch the field
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

gmarv

winning makes all coaches look like geniuses,losing if their lucky they only look like idiots.

scruf

Quote from: Kevin on November 07, 2014, 06:26:05 am
I thought kj was like joe Adams shifty, but not a guy to stretch the field

Nope, field-stretcher with speed to burn. Runs the slant and go as good as any WR you'll see.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 06, 2014, 07:22:42 pm
Chaney is going nowhere, so give it a rest, nobody is listening who even remotely has a say.

That's true for 99.9% of the stuff we bish about on here.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Chief Mac

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2014, 11:01:11 pm
Yeah stability was huge for defense this year. Glad we didn't lose any coaches on defense after last season. Oh wait we lost every defensive coach except 1

well we did replace the defensive coaches with coaches that appear to be able to recruit and are getting results....so there is that.  As Chaney is one of our better recruiters, it might be a stretch to get a guy that is a good OC AND recruiter.  Not impossible, but not easy
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

OKC

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2014, 11:01:11 pm
Definitely understand your take, but I also think stability is very important right now. Unless the offense just tanks the last three games, Chaney should get another year. Even then, some will accuse CBB of throwing Chaney under the bus. My only major complaint with offense is stagnation against good competition in the second half. I am not football intelligent enough to know who to blame on that...is it Chaney?...is it CBB?...is it the Oline wearing down?...is it the players losing confidence?...is it lack of talent with receivers?....BA?  ...and on and on... My guess is that there is plenty blame to go around, and for that reason, Chaney stays.

HOGINTENNESSEE

NFL Qb coach to College OC. I wouldn't consider that a demotion

Chief Mac

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 07, 2014, 07:10:58 am
NFL Qb coach to College OC. I wouldn't consider that a demotion

might help him get a better gig if he were successful as an OC at the college level.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Horthawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 06, 2014, 06:13:19 pm
My bet is that no one gets fired/is encouraged to leave.

If they lose out, somebody or somebodies will be gone.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

demonHOG1013

PonderinHog

Quote from: OKC on November 07, 2014, 07:08:46 am
Definitely understand your take, but I also think stability is very important right now. Unless the offense just tanks the last three games, Chaney should get another year. Even then, some will accuse CBB of throwing Chaney under the bus. My only major complaint with offense is stagnation against good competition in the second half. I am not football intelligent enough to know who to blame on that...is it Chaney?...is it CBB?...is it the Oline wearing down?...is it the players losing confidence?...is it lack of talent with receivers?....BA?  ...and on and on... My guess is that there is plenty blame to go around, and for that reason, Chaney stays.
Yes, it's a combination of all these factors.  Stay the course.

texas tush hog

Why would he give up a career path to an NFL head coaching job to be an OC or QB coach in college?

PorkRinds

Quote from: OKC on November 07, 2014, 07:08:46 am

This.

Kevin

don't fire chaney, but put a ga in the booth with him. let lunney go to the sideline to help ba.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22