Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two Games Left.....What if We Go 2-0?

Started by threeNout, November 06, 2014, 04:39:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

November 06, 2014, 04:39:22 pm Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:14:49 am by threeNout
I always like to measure the ceiling.

With the respect we have earned around the nation of playing the top teams down to the wire, and with a 7-5 record, what is the very best bowl, and/or opponent, the Hogs could hope to have?

I'd like to hear some opinions.  Thanks

Baller

Quote from: threeNout on November 06, 2014, 04:39:22 pm

With the respect we have earned around the nation of playing the top teams down to the wire, and with a 8-5 record, what is the very best bowl, and/or opponent, the Hogs could hope to have?

Gater Bowl!!

John Futrall

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

threeNout

interesting possible opponents:

Louisville

Wisconsin

Ark State

who else?

goneal

To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

Danny J

Dirty

threeNout

Quote from: goneal on November 06, 2014, 05:07:39 pm
Actually, we would be 7-5.

see how far ahead I was thinking?  :)  good catch and thanks, correcting now.

Vantage 8 dude

With the respect we have earned around the nation of playing the top teams down to the wire, and with a 7-5 record, what is the very best bowl, and/or opponent, the Hogs could hope to have?

All I can say is that bravo for your positive thinking and attitude!! Nice to see rather than seeing the "glass being half empty" as so many seem to be you're still willing to "see the ceiling". And yes, should we somehow finish out 3-0 it would be a HUGE lift, both in and out of state, to this program.

PORKULATOR

We win the next three and we're the team I thought we were.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Poker_hog

If we're gonna dream, let's dream big.  Finish the year 4-0.  Probably just outside the top 25.  We'd be ranked somewhere between 15-20 to open next year. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hawkhawg

rlreev01

RedSoxFan

I think we all know that these next three games are going to be the biggest three games of the season. I will agree with most on that topic.

LSU - The biggest advantages I see in this game are a few factors. First of all, we have them at home. We always play them tough, regardless of our record, this game usually comes down to a win by 7 or defeat by 7. The good news is, we get them after playing Bama. That will be the benefit because of the so called let down factor. The Bama game for them will be an emotional slugfest. Also, LSU is young! While that may make for success this time around, this team will be nasty in the next couple of years. Lastly, they lack the passing game. The passing game has never been one of Miles's strong suits, this season is no different. They do have the big playmaker in Dural at WR that can stretch the field, and then they have a big RB stable as well as last years no. 1 RB in the nation.

Prognosis - I think we come out of the bye week ready to play. Its at home, the lights are on, a rivalry game. I give us about a 55% chance of winning this game

Ole Miss - if there is ever a time to play this game against a tough team, its the week before the Egg Bowl. I think this is an advantage for us. They have a stingy defense, and protect against the run very well. With Treadwell being out, they are going to have to rely on an experienced and gritty WR group. I'm not quit sure about which Bo will show up. "The Good Bo" will beat us by 10, with the "Bad Bo", this game will be a little closer, maybe a loss by three. I just don't believe that our run game can keep them off the field. We aren't the team that can line up and just run people over yet. We aren't Bama. We can't line up yet and tell you what we are going to do and execute it. With Bama, you know they are gonna run and they run the ball - with success.

Prognosis - Bad Bo - 45% chance of winning - Good Bo - 30% chance of winning

MIZ-DGB - This is the best opportunity we have at winning a conference game. While I don't have a whole lot of information about them, I think this is a game that was circled on the calendar as a win by most. Maty Mauk hasn't set the world on fire lately, they have a decent run game, and their front four are pretty good. Beyond that, I can't tell you much about them.

Prognosis - I think we are in the 60% range on a victory.

Hopefully this bye week gets us healthy and ready for this big stretch of games. The last 3 games have some variables that fall in our favor that should bring the point spreads closer. Best case scenario - 2-1. Wins versus MIZ and LSU. I think if we beat LSU, the train will start rolling and the confidence will start flowing.

Worst case scenario - winless in SEC play and eyes on a good finish to the recruiting class.

Keep the faith hog fans. Its coming.

rude1

Don't know what bowl we would go to but anyway you slice it, unless you are more interested in being right than winning, you would have to say this season was an unexpected and overwhelming success!!!

Hoggish1

Well, that would put us in a bowl with BP and we will kick his @ss to go 8-5, just like he did in his 2nd year! WPS

HSVhogfan2

If LSU gets beat badly by Bama this weekend, 3-0 is actually in play. LSU is at its worst when they don't have anything left to play for, Ole Miss is a shell of what it was with all the injuries, and Mizzou is the least talented SEC team AR will have played by a pretty good margin.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Ramtough

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 06, 2014, 08:30:39 pm
If LSU gets beat badly by Bama this weekend, 3-0 is actually in play. LSU is at its worst when they don't have anything left to play for, Ole Miss is a shell of what it was with all the injuries, and Mizzou is the least talented SEC team AR will have played by a pretty good margin.
Lsu may lose but it will be a good game against Bama. Les will stop our run and force BA to make some plays and I think we all know what that means. Ole Miss will play solid D and it will depend on whether we get the good Wallace or the bad one as to how long we hang around in that game and Missori is already bowl eligible and playing decent D as well so I don't see that game being as easy as some think it will be. I think we could win 1 of these.

threeNout

all these top teams we have played, and we only played one of them in Fayetteville.  That was against probably the best team of our 5 losses, Bama, it was also probably the best we've played against any of 5.

We are capable of beating both LSU and Ole Miss in Fayetteville,

Grunt

Quote from: Poker_hog on November 06, 2014, 07:11:33 pm
If we're gonna dream, let's dream big.  Finish the year 4-0.  Probably just outside the top 25.  We'd be ranked somewhere between 15-20 to open next year. 
Good.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

FBREW000

PorkRinds

IMO, two wins is about all we can really hope for, and one or none is just as likely.  God knows I'd give my first born for three wins, but I don't see it happening.

Mike_e

If I had a vote I'd vote the Liberty for it's being the last one of those played (I think anyway).

You only get so much practice time but being able to spread it out would help in retention for next year.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 07, 2014, 02:19:32 pm
IMO, two wins is about all we can really hope for, and one or none is just as likely.  God knows I'd give my first born for three wins, but I don't see it happening.
I can agree.  Without the threat of a burner...we are going to get loaded boxes.  I figure with all the film that is out there we will continue to run into a brick wall until we start tearing some folks up vertically.  This makes it increasing difficult to win in the SEC.  I just don't think we go bowling. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Sir Oinksalot

I've stated here many times that when the dam breaks, we will run off a sting of victories.....so if we beat LSU we will go 3-0
course iits imho, but ck. this out - the power rating are saying we will pop, my God look at where we are now,
like no. 20 and hadn't won a conference game in two years, so if we go 3-0 ---

Look for Arkansas to be in a Major Bowl because EVERYONE will want to see us...
It will be bigger than the rise of the Phoenix...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ZERO

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 06, 2014, 08:30:39 pm

Who exactly is injured for Ole Miss? I haven't really kept up with it. I was putting this game down as a sure L, but maybe you could change my mind, haha.

Also, Missouri is sitting at 7-2 right now. We'll know more about how sucky they are after the Texas A&M game, I think, although I expect them to win that one.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hogfaniam

If we go 3-0, cities will be begging for us.  Hog fans will be picking up aluminum cans to make that bowl game.  The SEC office determines who goes where beyond the playoff bowls, so send Mike a note.

Mike Slive announced the SEC's new bowl affiliations on Monday
Mike Slive announced the SEC's new bowl affiliations on Monday. (USATSI)
The SEC announced an agreement with nine bowl games on Monday, along with a new way of selecting which SEC teams will play where. The agreement will begin in the 2014 season.

"We are pleased to have established a lineup of premier bowl games that will give our student-athletes a wonderful postseason experience and our fans the opportunity to travel to venues in the geographical footprint of the conference," said SEC commissioner Mike Slive in a release.

The nine bowl games are the Capital One (vs Big Ten/ACC), Outback (vs Big Ten), Music City (vs ACC/Big Ten), Gator (vs ACC/Big Ten), Liberty (vs Big 12), Texas (vs Big 12), Belk (vs ACC), Birmingham (vs TBA) and Advocare V100 (vs ACC) bowls.

The Texas Bowl and Belk Bowl essentially replace the Cotton Bowl and Chick-Fil-A Bowl as both those games will now be access bowls affiliated with the College Football Playoff.

As for how it will be decided which SEC teams play where, the Capital One Bowl will have first choice of available SEC teams -- SEC teams that qualify for the playoff obviously won't be in play. After that it gets a bit interesting.

The SEC will select which SEC schools play in the Outback, Music City, Gator, Liberty, Texas and Belk bowls, not the bowl games themselves.

"This bowl process gives us the best opportunity to address several issues that impact SEC fans, including the creation of intriguing matchups, the accommodation of travel for fans, reduced ticket obligations for our schools and a variety of assignments to help prevent repetitive postseason destinations," said Slive.

As for the Birmingham and Advocare V100 games, they will have the next selections of SEC teams should any eligible teams remain, with the Birmingham Bowl selecting first.

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HOGSWEAT

Hogfaniam

HOGSWEAT

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 07, 2014, 04:07:54 pm
Selfishly for me, that would be awesome.

Same here. We have a better shot at a bowl game than Texas, but I just want it. lol

Hogfaniam

Quote from: AR Taco04 on November 07, 2014, 04:53:14 pm
Same here. We have a better shot at a bowl game than Texas, but I just want it. lol

Texas will have to win today.  No way they beat TCU the last week

gmarv

I,m with sir oinksalot we win against lsu we win out.

Hoggish1

Good analysis!

It all starts with 1-0 and I like the possibility of getting that first one!  Let's freeze their @sses in Fayetteville...

farmhawg

You would wake up and realize it was a dream.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

PonderinHog

Well, I'd take it, I reckon.  Umm hmm...

lefty08

Quote from: Ramtough on November 06, 2014, 09:24:13 pm
Lsu may lose but it will be a good game against Bama. Les will stop our run and force BA to make some plays and I think we all know what that means. Ole Miss will play solid D and it will depend on whether we get the good Wallace or the bad one as to how long we hang around in that game and Missori is already bowl eligible and playing decent D as well so I don't see that game being as easy as some think it will be. I think we could win 1 of these.

Bo Wallace wants none of our secondary
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

khawg95

As long as Chaney keeps trying to force a square peg in a round hole the team will be close but not quite get there. There is not one QB on the roster that is comfortable with being under center and running play action. They did not run it in HS. I would love to say that they could win all three. I just cannot see it. I really hope I am wrong, as I will be in Columbia in what will probably be a game played in weather as cold as a well diggers butt. I will be calling my HOGs no matter what. I was on the Hill during the early 90"s so I know the meaning of disappointment. WPS!

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: ZERO on November 07, 2014, 02:42:16 pm
Who exactly is injured for Ole Miss? I haven't really kept up with it. I was putting this game down as a sure L, but maybe you could change my mind, haha.

They lost Treadwell & Nkemdichi (sp) - the linebacker not the DE.

ICEman

7-5 with a top 15 Power Index would be very interesting indeed to a bowl selection committee.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

TheRazorbackGuy

But what if we go 0-3? It will be a distaster.

lefty08

Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

threeNout

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 08, 2014, 12:47:51 pm
But what if we go 0-3? It will be a distaster.

well this thread was inspired by a thread asking that very question, I assume all the doom and gloom imaginings were explored there, I stayed away.

LRAFBHog

The world will stop turning.
WPS anyway

SouthFloridaHog

If we go 3-0.....  the SEC WEST just beat itself up. Which is what everyone has said all year.  We get the SECCG winner in the playoff and the rest is outside the top 10?

Maybe the AP could do a post "post season" poll and rank all 7 SEC WESt teams in the top 10.
Is it duck season?

Hogman2

HOW ABOUT LET'S WIN ONE GAME BEFORE WE START TALKING ABOUT 3-0! WE have to win ONE FIRST!

lefty08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 09, 2014, 09:45:21 am
Said many.  So specify that.  Are you saying the extremely few? Or are you going to say it is a lot of people because there might be less than 5 people on this board that expected to lose all sec games again this year.   Did you expect to lose all sec games again this year?

I certainly thought it was possible, as Im sure many did.

Augustus

Quote from: threeNout on November 06, 2014, 05:04:35 pm
interesting possible opponents:

Louisville

Wisconsin

Ark State

who else?

I'll also throw out Texass.  With the conference tie-ins for Liberty & Texas bowls this year, we could very easily be playing them at Houston.  And, personally, I would love that.

West Virginia looks like they will keep the #4 spot in the Big-12 (unless they crap the bed against Iowa State), so they're probably headed to the Liberty.

Of course, let's not put the cart before the horse. We gotta get to 7-5 first (or at least 6-6)