Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BA, The Media, and the fans. Sincere question.....

Started by Pigstie, November 06, 2014, 10:21:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 06, 2014, 05:49:00 pm
I dont buy Chaney's assertion that the OL cant block screens. Screens are about timing. It takes a bunch of guys executing. This takes a lot of coaching and practice. Chaney to me is too lazy to teach it.

Wouldn't that be Sam Pittman's job?

Pigstie

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 06, 2014, 04:49:04 pm
I've never seen what would happen to me if I got run over by a truck but I sure don't want to find out.

Whether you accept it or not there was an open competition for quarterback last spring and during August Camp. It wasn't close.

If anything had changed from then till now these coaches are not dumb enough to keep playing the wrong quarterback so they could keep losing games.
While I don't believe any coach on this staff is dumb, what I don't understand is how a 3rd string qb at tenner, who was evaluated by a smart coaching staff last spring as well.... is now being hailed the future of Tennessee football. I also don't understand how Matt Jones was on the bench for the first 4 games or so his freshman year. In both of these situations, no one was expecting these kids to come off the bench and amount to what they did, as quick as they did it. Maybe some react differently once they get their opportunity under the lights?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 06, 2014, 05:49:00 pm
I dont buy Chaney's assertion that the OL cant block screens. Screens are about timing. It takes a bunch of guys executing. This takes a lot of coaching and practice. Chaney to me is too lazy to teach it.
This is what bothers me about these type threads. A discussion of screen pass issues is fine.

Claiming a coach is too lazy to teach screen pass blocking is total nonsense because you don't know the man and you're never around him at practice or when he prepares for practice.

It's the kind of comment that gets threads moved or locked.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pigstie on November 06, 2014, 05:56:21 pm
While I don't believe any coach on this staff is dumb, what I don't understand is how a 3rd string qb at tenner, who was evaluated by a smart coaching staff last spring as well.... is now being hailed the future of Tennessee football. I also don't understand how Matt Jones was on the bench for the first 4 games or so his freshman year. In both of these situations, no one was expecting these kids to come off the bench and amount to what they did, as quick as they did it. Maybe some react differently once they get their opportunity under the lights?
Comparing Matt Jones in 2001 to Rafe Peavy in 2014 is beyond apples and oranges.

Matt Jones jacked around in practice. The coaches did not know for sure what they had until they put him in a game. Also he was not a typical freshman QB. Because of his height, speed and athleticism he was the best QB they had even as a freshman.

Rafe Peavey does not jack around in practice. Rafe Peavey has been in scrimmage situations and while he may someday be the starter he's no Matt Jones and he doesn't need to play right now. That's from personal observation and from what the coaches have said.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 06, 2014, 06:29:00 pm
Comparing Matt Jones in 2001 to Rafe Peavy in 2014 is beyond apples and oranges.

Matt Jones jacked around in practice. The coaches did not know for sure what they had until they put him in a game. Also he was not a typical freshman QB. Because of his height, speed and athleticism he was the best QB they had even as a freshman.

Rafe Peavey does not jack around in practice. Rafe Peavey has been in scrimmage situations and while he may someday be the starter he's no Matt Jones and he doesn't need to play right now. That's from personal observation and from what the coaches have said.

Might not be the answer everyone wants but it is the correct answer.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Ramtough

My fear is that you are correct with your observation and BA gets the start again next year. Now if we go 6-6 BA's senior year that is still weak for year 3 for BB and BA is gone and we go right back to no game experience a QB for year 4 for BB. The QB position alone could be Bret's undoing. No doubt these next 3 games are huge for everyone involved.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

I don't think BA is an above average SEC QB at this point, but I'll take a shot at trying to answer the question.

I have been following Arkansas football since 1968. I have watched in person, on TV or listened to just about every game since.

I have never heard a QB bashed with the frequency or intensity that is reserved for this kid with one possible exception. During Barry Lunney Jr's time as UA QB, 1992-95, outside of Fort Smith, Lunney was the debbil according to fans at LR games.

I often heard the popular refrain: "Looney" only starts because he's from close to "Fettvull".

However, because he was from FS Southside, the bashing in Fort Smith was muted. Here, in some circles, nothing or no one from Southside is anything less than spectacular.

But like Kid Rock might say: "we didn't have no internet" then, so all the message board experts had to be content with being barstool philosophers when bashing their whipping boys.

I have often been hooted at just for saying BA is average. "He's terrible", "he sucks", "he ain't got no arm" are the most common complaints.

They "know" Austin is better 'cause they saw both in high school and besides "he can't be any worse". Hogwash! 15 touchdowns to 5 INTs won't win anyone the Hypesman, but it could be a LOT worse.

I think some defend him because he's been and is being bashed so much even though there are clearly visible weaknesses on this team that have nothing to do with QB.

NO QB could take his supporting cast and win all these games vs Top 10 teams. Could he do some things better? Absolutely. When things get tight, sometimes his footwork gets sloppy. He holds the ball too long at times. He doesn't see open receivers at times.

Guess what? All these things are complained about nearly everywhere. I heard a 'Bama fan say that Blake Sims is the worst QB in the SEC.

I for one get tired of fans ignoring missed tackles, missed blocks, missed assignments, etc and focusing all their wrath on the QB as if the "right" QB, (usually the backup or an incoming recruit or a kid from their hometown) would make all the problems magically disappear.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Pigstie

I have heard this as well but I was actually thinking of AA. I've never suggested to pull the redshirt off Peavey.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

rickm1976

Quote from: SantaHog on November 06, 2014, 10:58:31 am
If BA was not from NWA he would not get this kind of defense.  I'm from SWA and I remember how Mallett would get abused on here and other boards for any mistake he made in a game and we were winning then.  BA is no Mallett, but he gets defended more than Mallett ever did.

Part of it is because of each's personality.  Mallett was cocky and arrogant (which I like) and BA seems to be a little more laid back and quiet.  Mallett made himself a target, but I doubt if he really cared what people said about him one way or the other.  I think BA is probably not quite as thick skinned.

hawgfan4life

Fans everywhere are crazy.  They seem to believe the backup QB is somehow better than the starter and that starting QBs everywhere else don't make bad throws, interceptions, throw late, etc.

BA is a good QB with the wrong team around him.  Put him on any of the AL teams last few years healthy and he probably wins a NC and everybody in AR is pissed AR didn't land him.

Fans are demanding BA lead an average team to victory against elite teams that are winning and are confident.  BA did plenty to help us win half those games over the course of the game.  Other areas and circumstances has placed BA in the position of needing to create and make game winning plays in those games.  That is unlikely to happen in those situations because the other teams are as focused as they can be and intense as they should be in those moments.  Results are predictable!  Better more experienced athletes win in the clutch. 

I guarantee most these people demanding so much from BA don't live up to their own expectations in their own lives.  I feel sorry for some of the people that claim to be fans.  Must be angry and upset all the time about everything in their life if they set the same bar for all things they do for BA.

bphi11ips

"Little is known about the life of Eusebius."

Wikipedia

I'll tell you who he is.  The SOB is Orville Henry.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razorsharp94

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 06, 2014, 03:59:16 pm
I believe you are making crap up . Give the analyst's name and broadcast.
Listen to Bo Mattingly. Oh wait I forgot he sucks. Whatever. Just off the top of my head Russ Mitchell is one of them.

bphi11ips

Wright43

Quote from: Pigstie on November 06, 2014, 10:47:17 am
Did the Dick brothers get the same type defense? Clark? Hampton? Do you consider him being referred to as average, a stupid statement?

Calling him average is not a stupid statement, but most of the people on here call him much worse things than "average".

Sure he's not an elite QB and he hasn't won us a game by himself, but he also hasn't lost us a game by himself. Average is fair, beyond that in a negative direction isn't.

Kevin

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 06, 2014, 04:18:36 pm
Hogwash. All the coaches said and all the media said is that he would be improved due to having a year's experience as a starter and not being hampered by a separated shoulder. He is improved. His numbers are up quite a bit from last year.

There was no hype.

Yeah it is not hype when CBB said the best kept secret in fayetteville is the passing game.

I just don't understand your need to always come on here and bash posters and other players in defense of BA.

I did not even bash him. I just gave a reason to why fans are so hard on him.

Plus, I should have not blamed the media, you guys don't get to see practice, so all the hype was from the coaches, media just reported it
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Kevin on November 07, 2014, 06:34:03 am
Yeah it is not hype when CBB said the best kept secret in fayetteville is the passing game.

I just don't understand your need to always come on here and bash posters and other players in defense of BA.

I did not even bash him. I just gave a reason to why fans are so hard on him.

Plus, I should have not blamed the media, you guys don't get to see practice, so all the hype was from the coaches, media just reported it
I don't bash posters. I do bash some of the nonsense that is thrown around on this board.

There is a way to get a point across without exaggeration. It's the exaggeration that I object to.

As for what Bielema said, it wasn't hype. He was saying, some people don't think we have a passing game and we do.

Guess what? The passing numbers are up this year.

jm

I believe BA is an average to slightly above average college QB. He is good enough to help the team win if he has enough around him, but not good enough to carry a team. It seems that he throws a pretty good ball on angle routes that have a fairly flat trajectory but really struggles when he is asked to drop it in over the shoulder. I am just not sure that the coaches do a good job of calling plays that take advantage of his strengths.   

Pigstie

I agree with this and also don't understand why we don't have a qb coach.  It's the most important position on the field.

hogsanity

There was a caller on Bo's show yesterday that was the epitome of what some of us take offense to regarding the things said about BA. The caller stared of all easy sounding, talking about how close the games have been, how just a little more from the passing game might have been the difference. I don't agree with that, but it is a perfectly good opinion to have. But i could tell where it was going. Soon enough the cllaer drops this line ".....the main problem with the offense is that Brandon Allen is just a loser, he is a loser and he is always going to be a loser....."  That is a whole lot different than saying he is just an average Qb.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 06, 2014, 10:30:05 pm
"Little is known about the life of Eusebius."

Wikipedia

I'll tell you who he is.  The SOB is Orville Henry.

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 06, 2014, 11:12:41 pm
Or JFB.
Definitely not Robert Shields or that Harry Rex Vonner dude.

jacobp

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 07, 2014, 08:01:15 am
I don't bash posters. I do bash some of the nonsense that is thrown around on this board.

There is a way to get a point across without exaggeration. It's the exaggeration that I object to.

As for what Bielema said, it wasn't hype. He was saying, some people don't think we have a passing game and we do.

Wouldn't even waste your time with Kevin. There's not a poster on this site with a gloomier outlook on life.

Pigstie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2014, 10:24:30 am
There was a caller on Bo's show yesterday that was the epitome of what some of us take offense to regarding the things said about BA. The caller stared of all easy sounding, talking about how close the games have been, how just a little more from the passing game might have been the difference. I don't agree with that, but it is a perfectly good opinion to have. But i could tell where it was going. Soon enough the cllaer drops this line ".....the main problem with the offense is that Brandon Allen is just a loser, he is a loser and he is always going to be a loser....."  That is a whole lot different than saying he is just an average Qb.
Well I don't think there is a single "loser" on this team. We do have our fair share of average though. Is what it is.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Kevin

Check out those passing numbers in the fourth quarter of sec games we have a shot at winning.  Numbers can lie

It is not an exaggeration to say his improvement was hyped up by the coaches.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: jacobp on November 07, 2014, 11:07:21 am
Wouldn't even waste your time with Kevin. There's not a poster on this site with a gloomier outlook on life.

My life is great. Talk about exaggeration.

hawgsalot

Quote from: Kevin on November 07, 2014, 12:13:38 pm
Check out those passing numbers in the fourth quarter of sec games we have a shot at winning.  Numbers can lie

And what your missing is that your not in the game without the 1st 3 qtrs and your not in the red zone 3 times in the last qtr and a half without BAs good passing.

Kevin

Look I didn't come into this thread to debate BA. I actually post an excuse for the criticism of him.

He was hyped by the coaching staff. Do some fans(I am one of them) don't think he as lived up to that hype.   

You guys want to ignore the fourth quarter problems be my guest. 

We will see what happens the last 3 games

PonderinHog

We just have to figure out some way to get over that hump...

Kevin

Atlhogfan1

He was not hyped.  Some public comments may have been made to try and instill confidence in him and his teammates and help with his ability to lead the offense.  But there wasn't hype.  If you believed the comments, you are a naïve fool and can't see the rhetoric for what it was or you are being intellectually dishonest.  The closest thing to hype we got in August about our passing game was the Legend of Drew Morgan created off of one scrimmage.  Perhaps some expectations were placed on him that were unfair.  Beyond that, the effectiveness of our passing game was going to be one of the unknowns going into the season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 07, 2014, 12:38:12 pm
He was not hyped.  Some public comments may have been made to try and instill confidence in him and his teammates and help with his ability to lead the offense.  But there wasn't hype.  If you believed the comments, you are a naïve fool and can't see the rhetoric for what it was or you are being intellectually dishonest.  The closest thing to hype we got in August about our passing game was the Legend of Drew Morgan created off of one scrimmage.  Perhaps some expectations were placed on him that were unfair.  Beyond that, the effectiveness of our passing game was going to be one of the unknowns going into the season. 

Did not say I believed it.

I saw the struggle first half of spring game.  He had to prove it to me   Still waiting

snoblind

Yes, it is. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on November 07, 2014, 12:41:26 pm
Did not say I believed it.

I saw the struggle first half of spring game.  He had to prove it to me   Still waiting

He has to prove it to YOU?  That is hilarious.  You are not his coach. BA does not owe you ANYTHING.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Corkscrew Johnson

Fans need a scapegoat for their frustration.  Could an exceptional QB have won us a few of these games?  Yes.  Could better WR play and offensive scheming have allowed the same BA to win a few of these games as well?  Damn right.   Do we have a better option on the team for winning today?  Not even close.

Brandon Allen is playing exactly where you should realistically expect a 3-4 star QB in his junior year in the SEC, without the benefit of a redshirt, and zero development in his first year thanks to the JLS circus.  If those aren't your expectations, then practically speaking, that's your deficiency, not his. 

There is also a menacing double-standard going on between BA and CBB's record.  Let's rip CBB for not winning an SEC game, but then let's also rip CBB for not benching his best QB for a totally unprepared QB with no chance at leading us to victory.

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2014, 12:43:09 pm
He has to prove it to YOU?  That is hilarious.  You are not his coach. BA does not owe you ANYTHING.

Some of you guys just like to fight. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 07, 2014, 12:44:07 pm

Brandon Allen is playing exactly where you should realistically expect a 3-4 star QB in his junior year in the SEC, without the benefit of a redshirt,

BA did RS, 2011.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 07, 2014, 12:44:07 pm
Fans need a scapegoat for their frustration.  Could an exceptional QB have won us a few of these games?  Yes.  Could better WR play and offensive scheming have allowed the same BA to win a few of these games as well?  Damn right.   Do we have a better option on the team for winning today?  Not even close.

Brandon Allen is playing exactly where you should realistically expect a 3-4 star QB in his junior year in the SEC, without the benefit of a redshirt, and zero development in his first year thanks to the JLS circus.  If those aren't your expectations, then practically speaking, that's your deficiency, not his. 

There is also a menacing double-standard going on between BA and CBB's record.  Let's rip CBB for not winning an SEC game, but then let's also rip CBB for not benching his best QB for a totally unprepared QB with no chance at leading us to victory.
Corkscrew, BA did have the benefit of a redshirt.  Otherwise, good post.

Mike Irwin

So Bielema, after watching an obvious improvement in the passing game last spring, says, "Our passing game is the best kept secret in Fayetteville" and that's hype because seven months later the passing numbers in the 4th quarter are not good?

You're reaching and you know it. You have an agenda against Bielema.

From talking to several of the mods on this board including the owner I'm certain that they are getting tired of this stuff. Legitimate analysis is a different thing from continuing to take shots at the head coach, the quarterback or the offensive coordinator.

Some have been shown the door. Others will.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Kevin on November 07, 2014, 12:45:27 pm
Some of you guys just like to fight.
In order for a fight to take place someone has to start it. Those that post with the intention of starting fights will be gone. That's straight from Lanny.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigstie on November 07, 2014, 10:20:38 am
I agree with this and also don't understand why we don't have a qb coach.  It's the most important position on the field.

I guess you think Nick Saban is a dumb coach then since his OC is also the QB coach............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 07, 2014, 12:16:34 pm
And what your missing is that your not in the game without the 1st 3 qtrs and your not in the red zone 3 times in the last qtr and a half without BAs good passing.

Yep! He's only seeing what he wants to see whether it is valid or not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

IMO, BA is being asked to do too much and often put in a position to fail. I have heard repeatedly former QBs like Matt Jones and Clint say that BA is  not even close to being the reason we have been poor on offense and losing games. He is A reason, but not close to main one.

I am not sure, but I bet if you look at first half vs second half performance, you will see BA's drop in the second half. Is this because the O line is tired? Is it become the opposing team adjusts and we do not? Do we abandon the run? We also have seen BA does better in the gun. Why not use it more? Why not pass to the backs more? Is he really being utilized so that his strengths are augmented and his weaknesses hid?

I hear too many people calling for another QB and act like any moron could see BA sucks. Well, that moron is CBB and he seems to have at least some faith in BA and that he gives this team the best chance to win. I think it is ignorant and nieve to put so much blame on one player.

Pigstie

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 07, 2014, 03:11:49 pm
I guess you think Nick Saban is a dumb coach then since his OC is also the QB coach............................
Your guessing I'm thinking about Nick Saban?  Uh....I never mentioned Nick Saban.  I never said Sims needed a QB coach, I said BA did. Nice try though.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pigstie on November 07, 2014, 05:34:35 pm
Your guessing I'm thinking about Nick Saban?  Uh....I never mentioned Nick Saban.  I never said Sims needed a QB coach, I said BA did. Nice try though.
He has a QB coach. Jim Chaney.

I asked Barry Lunney Jr. what kind of a QB coach Chaney was. He said, "I played QB in the SEC and he's better at it than I am."

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I don't blame BA at all.  He is not a good fit for this offense. Actually not sure anyone is until the running game and O-line look against SEC opponents like they do against cupcakes.

It's not about quick slants and multiple crossing patterns.  It's about play action.  That doesn't work when you can't run. Bret isn't going to change his offensive philosophy no matter what so this is what it will look like until he gets all the personnel he needs. So in reading this board I assume that's 2015, or 2016, or 2017.  Because he certainly can't be held accountable now ;)
Let's make some waves.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 07, 2014, 05:53:48 pm
I don't blame BA at all.  He is not a good fit for this offense. Actually not sure anyone is until the running game and O-line look against SEC opponents like they do against cupcakes.

It's not about quick slants and multiple crossing patterns.  It's about play action.  That doesn't work when you can't run. Bret isn't going to change his offensive philosophy no matter what so this is what it will look like until he gets all the personnel he needs. So in reading this board I assume that's 2015, or 2016, or 2017.  Because he certainly can't be held accountable now ;)
He can be held accountable for his mistakes but the problem with most BA threads are the exaggerations that take place.

Again, just a word do advice to those of you who do that. You won't be posting here for long. The management of this board agrees that BA has made his share of mistakes this season. But bashing is bashing. Lanny has told me that on this message board it's going to stop.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 07, 2014, 05:53:48 pm

We will see, Jeff. In terms of being more competitive compared to last year or the year before, this team has come a long way. Yes, they are having to re-learn how to win and not do things at key moments that shoot themselves in the foot, but this is a far better football team by light years in year two of Bielema than it was his first year or the year with JLS.

Every coach has to get the players to execute his game plan on both sides of the ball. But if this team improves in terms of competitiveness at the same rate that they did from last year to this year over the coming off season, next year many of you who didn't care for the Bielema hire to begin with, may be greatly disappointed. I certainly hope so.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 07, 2014, 05:59:36 pm
He can be held accountable for his mistakes but the problem with most BA threads are the exaggerations that take place.

Again, just a word do advice to those of you who do that. You won't be posting here for long. The management of this board agrees that BA has made his share of mistakes this season. But bashing is bashing. Lanny has told me that on this message board it's going to stop.

Understood. The best quarterbacks in history have made mistakes at every level.

Not sure who I was bashing? Am I not allowed to think or post that I don't feel we have the right head man in place?  Mike you of all people c'mon. You dealt with what happened to people that called it like you saw it with Nutt.

I have toned my attitude down on here like you wouldn't believe. Still doesn't wan I think we made the right hire, or I think it will work!
Let's make some waves.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 07, 2014, 05:59:36 pm

Someone here said the interception at Mississippi State was a "desperation pass".  I considered that to have been an exaggeration.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 07, 2014, 06:02:41 pm
We will see, Jeff. In terms of being more competitive compared to last year or the year before, this team has come a long way. Yes, they are having to re-learn how to win and not do things at key moments that shoot themselves in the foot, but this is a far better football team by light years in year two of Bielema than it was his first year or the year with JLS.

Every coach has to get the players to execute his game plan on both sides of the ball. But if this team improves in terms of competitiveness at the same rate that they did from last year to this year over the coming off season, next year many of you who didn't care for the Bielema hire to begin with, may be greatly disappointed. I certainly hope so.

Buddy you have no idea how much I want to be wrong about the hire.
Let's make some waves.