Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please understand this Hog Fans

Started by Piggfoot, November 05, 2014, 09:31:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Coach Bielema wants to win but he wants to build a sustainable program more.
He mentioned in his presser 11-4, Santos Ramirez and how good he was but he said we would not see him this year. It is apparent unless he is forced to play a freshman he will red shirt them. To the dismay of many fans, the thought of winning will not be a compelling force.
His plan is to build the program from the bottom up. We are on the way. Have patience.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 05, 2014, 09:31:30 am
Coach Bielema wants to win but he wants to build a sustainable program more.
He mentioned in his presser 11-4, Santos Ramirez and how good he was but he said we would not see him this year. It is apparent unless he is forced to play a freshman he will red shirt them. To the dismay of many fans, the thought of winning will not be a compelling force.
His plan is to build the program from the bottom up. We are on the way. Have patience.

He's doing it the right way.  We're going to be killer in a few years, once he gets a few classes in here and up to speed.  Once we get going, we're going to be a force to be reckoned with.  It really is crazy how far we've come from last year to this one, even though we only have 1 more win so far (I think we'll win at least 2 of the next 3).  Next year will be a very good year for us.

He's the perfect fit for us, in my opinion.  Strong recruiter (not just by recruitng rankings), especially in Florida.  He's strong at finding guys with loads of potential and getting every bit of potential out of them.  He's great at developing talent and has a great strength coach.  He wants to redshirt as many as he can and he wants to have a great walk-on program, with guys who can actually contribute.

TMc

Yep, he's biting the bullet no doubt.  It's the right thing to do.., no matter how frustrating things are now.  There are no quick fixes when you go about it right.., and in a short time.., we will all be very glad he did things this way.

hogsanity

You build a a good house by putting in a strong foundation, and strong interior.  Then you add the exterior and the bells and whistles.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mizzouman

CBB is building a program and doing it the BIG10 way.  This is what they do at Wisconsin and a lot of other BIG10 schools.  They like to redshirt kids. 

In the future, you'll see a lot of 4 year juniors and 5th year seniors playing a lot.  In fact, the experience that Miss. St. is enjoying now with their upper class guys is what Arkansas will be enjoying 2 or 3 years down the road.

But, it takes a lot of patience for this to happen. 

CBB success at Wisconsin was based on this method and he inherited this from Alvarez.  When CBB started at Arkansas, this foundation was not there.

bphi11ips

I think most people do understand this and are excited about the future. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bigbadhog

Quote from: mizzouman on November 05, 2014, 09:56:03 am
CBB is building a program and doing it the BIG10 way.  This is what they do at Wisconsin and a lot of other BIG10 schools.  They like to redshirt kids. 

In the future, you'll see a lot of 4 year juniors and 5th year seniors playing a lot.  In fact, the experience that Miss. St. is enjoying now with their upper class guys is what Arkansas will be enjoying 2 or 3 years down the road.

But, it takes a lot of patience for this to happen. 

CBB success at Wisconsin was based on this method and he inherited this from Alvarez.  When CBB started at Arkansas, this foundation was not there.

His success at Wisky was from the top programs being down and not eligible to participate in the Rose Bowl as Big 10 champions...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Redhogs

Most rational people understand this...but can we please win a conf. game before CBB is crowned king as many on this board want to do?  Personally I just want to win again and don't give a damn who the coach is. Believe it or not his 0-13 losing streak in the SEC is a big deal. We'll see, but the winning does need to start soon.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 05, 2014, 10:18:48 am
Such a stupid take.
Typical...don't let the truth get in your way..he is 100% correct. But in the end, it really does not effect what he does here one way or the other.

HawgNthaWater

I have thought about this as well. You saw Saban and Miles do it at their schools while the difference is the baseline. LSU and Alabama started at midfield while Arkansas started at its own 20, to put in football terms, thanks to in state talent.

Sure the past few years this year included have been frustrating but it is the long term strategy that I have so much excitement for our program.

Time will tell and I like our future.

"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

Mike_e

Quote from: hogsanity on November 05, 2014, 09:54:05 am
You build a a good house by putting in a strong foundation, and strong interior.  Then you add the exterior and the bells and whistles.

So you're saying that he's not here to paint?

sorry, couldn't resist
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

ICEman

Quote from: bigbadhog on November 05, 2014, 10:09:11 am
His success at Wisky was from the top programs being down and not eligible to participate in the Rose Bowl as Big 10 champions...
How do you 'square the circle' of his also-ran 2006-2007 team taking down arguably the best Razorback team since the late 80's in the 2007 Capital One Citrus Bowl?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Redhogs

Quote from: ICEman on November 05, 2014, 10:33:07 am
How do you 'square the circle' of his also-ran 2006-2007 team taking down arguably the best Razorback team since the late 80's in the 2007 Capital One Citrus Bowl?
You do know that "great" Razorback team lost to USC 53-0 and blew the last game of the season to LSU at home....and the Cap. One  was a 10-7 Whisky snoozer, not exactly a blowout. Just more facts that really mean nothing, let's see what he does here going forward...I hope he ends up being our Saban.

razorbacker3

50-14 was the USC score and 17-14 was the Wisconsin score. If your going to piss and moan about someone's opinion about a razorback team at least get your info correct.

ChauvinistPig

I agree with the point about building for the future, but wasn't Santos hurt early in the year which prevented him from playing? I think they had intentions of playing him and decided to redshirt after the injury. Was it Santos or someone else I'm thinking of?

The Hogfather

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on November 05, 2014, 11:11:52 am
I agree with the point about building for the future, but wasn't Santos hurt early in the year which prevented him from playing? I think they had intentions of playing him and decided to redshirt after the injury. Was it Santos or someone else I'm thinking of?

Santos was injured early, but they had discussed playing him a couple of weeks ago.  They decided not to and it sounds now like they are not going to for the remainder of the season.

code red

This is all well and good but.....folks are also graduating in May.  Our oline although not decimated will be awful thin. I heard Brett say in his presser yesterday...that the reason for lack of run game the last 4-5 games is depth????  I am getting some what perplexed with the excuses at pressers.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hoggles

Quote from: code red on November 05, 2014, 11:22:58 am
This is all well and good but.....folks are also graduating in May.  Our oline although not decimated will be awful thin. I heard Brett say in his presser yesterday...that the reason for lack of run game the last 4-5 games is depth????  I am getting some what perplexed with the excuses at pressers.

Our line only loses one starter next year, Brey Cook. I think we'll lose him, Charpentier, and another. We'll have a great OL, I'd think.

Redhogs

Quote from: razorbacker3 on November 05, 2014, 11:00:43 am
50-14 was the USC score and 17-14 was the Wisconsin score. If your going to piss and moan about someone's opinion about a razorback team at least get your info correct.
Yea...that makes it all better...it was close enough to make the point...thanks for using Google though.

hogsanity

You do know his 2006 "also ran" team went 12-1, let that sink in. You called a 12-1 team and also ran. Once again someone proving 4th was way to low a ranking for hog fans.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Mike_e on November 05, 2014, 10:32:14 am
So you're saying that he's not here to paint?

sorry, couldn't resist
Nice
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on November 05, 2014, 12:14:02 pm
You do know his 2006 "also ran" team went 12-1, let that sink in. You called a 12-1 team and also ran. Once again someone proving 4th was way to low a ranking for hog fans.

I think you missed something.

razorbacker3

Quote from: Redhogs on November 05, 2014, 11:26:30 am
Yea...that makes it all better...it was close enough to make the point...thanks for using Google though.

All that info is available at the top of this page under sports>football>past scores. Very easy, you should try it sometime. ;)

rude1

Hope your right but my gut tells me he is stocking the cupboard so that after he fails the next guy will be set to win.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HawgNthaWater on November 05, 2014, 10:28:08 am
I have thought about this as well. You saw Saban and Miles do it at their schools while the difference is the baseline. LSU and Alabama started at midfield while Arkansas started at its own 20, to put in football terms, thanks to in state talent.

Sure the past few years this year included have been frustrating but it is the long term strategy that I have so much excitement for our program.

Time will tell and I like our future.

We are always 20-30 yds behind BAMA and LSU unless they have a bad coach, which does happen.  Do you think CBB can cut that down to zero?   Present circumstances included.

I think He can build a solid program and I think the historic strength of instate recruiting will help a lot.  Looks like a perfect storm situation for him to do as well as can possibly be done.

razorbacker3

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 11:25:08 am
Our line only loses one starter next year, Brey Cook. I think we'll lose him, Charpentier, and another. We'll have a great OL, I'd think.

We lose Cook, Charpentiar, McClure and Stringer. Also we lose Appollonio as well. McClure and Stringer played very little.

Hoggles

Quote from: razorbacker3 on November 05, 2014, 12:38:12 pm
We lose Cook, Charpentiar, McClure and Stringer. Also we lose Appollonio as well. McClure and Stringer played very little.

Isn't Applonio the LS? He must've beefed up a bunch in order to play on the line. But yeah, that's more than I thought. Thanks, man.

Hoggles

Quote from: Uberanubis on November 05, 2014, 12:48:46 pm
not trying to bash you here, but obviously you haven't read hogville much. I do agree the people not flying off the handle are generally aware of this, and know at least some x's and o's

People seem to be more upset about losing very winnable games more than anything else.

TransAmHawg

Houston Nutt

Next question
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

razorbacker3

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 12:47:02 pm
Isn't Applonio the LS? He must've beefed up a bunch in order to play on the line. But yeah, that's more than I thought. Thanks, man.
That's the only snaps Appollonia gets are FGs and pats, and catches Tretola TDS.

hogrocker

I thought Appolonia was washed in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

mizzouman

Quote from: hogrocker on November 05, 2014, 02:49:48 pm
Michael Corleone's first wife.  Or Prince's girl in Purple Rain.

hogrocker

Hoginsavga

I understand building for the future and believe CBB is doing a good job of that. At the same time the upperclassmen, fans and the coaches need to start winning. Winning breeds winning the same as losing breeds losing. If not red shirting one or two key players such as a place kicker or WR will make the difference in a current win or loss that is more important that a win two years from now. Getting to a bowl this year IMO is more important than what we may do 2 or 3 years later. Keep in mind that missing field goals and extra points likely costs us two wins this year. We cannot undo what has already happened this year but we can control when players are capable of playing vs redshirting going forward.

George Allen, one of my favorite coaches, when hired by the Redskins was asked why he was making so many wholesale changes in his roster replied "the future is now". We all know the pro football has many more options than college but the roster can change significantly whether redshirting and JUCO recruits. BTW George Allen took over a losing program at the Redskins and had them in the Super Bowl his second year.

We have a strong recruiting class currently committed. I just hope some don't become discouraged because if a lack of wins. Basically if Jo Jo or anyone could help us win 2 of the last three it would be a gamble worth taking.

majestic

Quote from: hogrocker on November 05, 2014, 02:49:48 pm
That wasn't Lake Minnetonka. :)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

lumphog

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 05, 2014, 10:18:48 am
Such a stupid take.
What did you expect......haters gonna hate. He just CAN'T see it. We're damnlucky to have CBB & the wins are coming.

pfrg999

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 05, 2014, 10:04:19 am
I think most people do understand this and are excited about the future. 

This ^.. You see some bashing after losses but most everyone 85+% has a "OK let see this 3rd year" attitude
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

texas tush hog

That may be the most ringing endorsement since he has been here, but I bet nobody wants to embrace it. Oh wait I will and I do. Go Bielema and crew.

Ramtough

Let's say we win 1 more this year to finish 5-7. Do you guys think BB has to go to a bowl in year 3 or could he still stay around with another 5-7 year?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: bigbadhog on November 05, 2014, 10:09:11 am

His success at Wisconsin had to do with ranked in the top 25 6 out of the 7 seasons he was there, which has little to nothing to do with other teams being eligible for bowls, and two out of the three Rose Bowls Wisconsin went to were first place regardless of teams on probation (and were AP Top 10 both of those seasons).

You are just making yourself look silly reaching like this.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

rude1

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 06, 2014, 07:28:14 pm
That may be the most ringing endorsement since he has been here, but I bet nobody wants to embrace it. Oh wait I will and I do. Go Bielema and crew.
This just amazes me every time I see it, that was a 1 loss Wi. team vs a 3 loss Ar. team. Wi. was the favorite. Fortunately for CBB he found someone in Nutt who hated the passing game as much as he did. With an average SEC line we stuffed his big offensive line and running game for negative yards rushing that day. Sound familiar to what we are seeing in the SEC now?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: rude1 on November 06, 2014, 07:53:35 pm
This just amazes me every time I see it, that was a 1 loss Wi. team vs a 3 loss Ar. team. Wi. was the favorite. Fortunately for CBB he found someone in Nutt who hated the passing game as much as he did. With an average SEC line we stuffed his big offensive line and running game for negative yards rushing that day. Sound familiar to what we are seeing in the SEC now?

Moral victory alert!
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: razorbacker3 on November 05, 2014, 12:38:12 pm

Jefferson as well... you'll see Wallace and possibly 2 new faces next year to go with our nucleus... should jest continue to get better if the injury bugs doesn't hit us...

rude1

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 06, 2014, 08:00:16 pm
Moral victory alert!
UMMM No. Just pointing out that the game was a preview of what happens to big slow offensive lines against quicker SEC D-Lines.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: Ramtough on November 06, 2014, 07:47:42 pm
Let's say we win 1 more this year to finish 5-7. Do you guys think BB has to go to a bowl in year 3 or could he still stay around with another 5-7 year?

He will win in year 3, but to answer your question, he won't be fired if we don't make a bowl game. I believe his buyout is pretty large for the next few years. It would be short sighted for him to get fired after 3 years and JL has more patience and understanding of the program than the fans.

SPAL

This is actually a pretty good point. Hard to argue it.

hogninja

Now, how does this impact production for  at least 3 years or more?  Just tell me.  ???  :razorback:

skbhog

First season lose big

Second season lose close

Third season win close

Fourth season win big

I have a lot of faith in coach B. 

Piggfoot

Your argument is flawed. A frequent problem when trying to compare teams of different times and personnel. I suspect Bielema learned from the game to which you refer. The offensive line he is building now is being built by Pittman a man Saban wanted. The linemen we now have are babies. Wait till they become men.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

mizzouman

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 06, 2014, 10:48:19 pm
This is actually a pretty good point. Hard to argue it.
But arent' 3 loss SEC teams still better than a 1 loss Big10 team?  That's what I've always been told.