Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Richard.. Are will still in on Jovan Pruitt .. Last year 4 star OL that went juco?

Started by Sherlock.Hawg, November 04, 2014, 07:43:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Super

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

onebadrubi

Technically I believed he signed with us in last years class, didn't qualify, so his scholarship went to a senior this year.  That might mean he could still come this year but count towards last year?

IBleedRazorbackRed

He's now a 2016 recruit and may go wherever he chooses. I would assume we'd have the leg up on him, but never know in recruiting.

ricepig

IBleedRazorbackRed

ldfergu

ldfergu

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 05, 2014, 09:13:58 am

So did his scholarship get wasted in 2014 since he didn't qualify? Sorry recruiting rules trip me up a bit

ricepig

greenie

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2014, 09:15:57 am
Yes

Sorry rice, but since you're in an answering mood.... :-)

can we count back that spot that he vacated,  (vacated is probably not the right word)
so that we could sign 26 this year? (if this were the case, I think I would have heard, so expecting NO)

And this is why you really screen these kids academically.  Even 1 lost spot is a real hit.

ricepig

Quote from: greenie on November 05, 2014, 09:44:22 am

can we count back that spot that he vacated,  (vacated is probably not the right word)
so that we could sign 26 this year? (if this were the case, I think I would have heard, so expecting NO)

And this is why you really screen these kids academically.  Even 1 lost spot is a real hit.

Nope, you count the number that signed LOI's, no counting back. Hootie signed about 50 in a class at OM, thus this rule.

JackJohnson

what is hurting more than that is Chris Murphy bailing on us after spring and even moreso giving walk on fullback Tyler Colquitt a scholarship after after a good month in the weightroom.  Had we not given him a scholarship we could sign 26 this year

The Recruiting Guy

All depends on his progress on the field and the classroom. Lots of guys that go JC never get to the D-I level.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: JackJohnson on November 05, 2014, 10:27:43 am
what is hurting more than that is Chris Murphy bailing on us after spring and even moreso giving walk on fullback Tyler Colquitt a scholarship after after a good month in the weightroom.  Had we not given him a scholarship we could sign 26 this year
Well golly I suspect that CBB is smart enough that had he known about what Murphy would do after the offer/acceptance Bret wouldn't have made it to begin with. Then again that's why there's the age old observation of "Hind sight being 20/20". However, take a look at EVERY coaches' track record, including Saban, Miles, and any and every other HC, and you'll see that no one EVER hits on 100% of their recruits (signees)...duh. And as for the scholarship to Colquitt, again I'll defer to CBB and the staff's decision making process. And why should it surprise you that an original walk-on obtained financial aid? This has been the m.o. for a CBB led team since his first day as a head coach. Absolutely nothing unique about that.

WriterWrong

Precisely. It's why we let those two commits from LA go. If you're not going to qualify, it is a complete waste for a school to burn a scholarship on you. Lots of very good football players don't get recruited because they cant pass classes. And, some schools get burned by very good players who cant make grades, which is what happened to us.

Personally, if the kid is talented, you want him on your team. But, realistically, we'd have to use two scholarships just to get this kid on campus. He burned us once. Coaches may decide to just move on. We gave the kid a chance and he burned us. Just my two cents.

ricepig

Quote from: WriterWrong on November 05, 2014, 12:21:42 pm
Precisely. It's why we let those two commits from LA go. If you're not going to qualify, it is a complete waste for a school to burn a scholarship on you. Lots of very good football players don't get recruited because they cant pass classes. And, some schools get burned by very good players who cant make grades, which is what happened to us.

Personally, if the kid is talented, you want him on your team. But, realistically, we'd have to use two scholarships just to get this kid on campus. He burned us once. Coaches may decide to just move on. We gave the kid a chance and he burned us. Just my two cents.

The thing is, they were willing to "waste" a scholarship on him, they liked him that much. Now, as RD said, we'll see if he develops and the love is still there after next season.

WriterWrong

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2014, 12:37:29 pm
The thing is, they were willing to "waste" a scholarship on him, they liked him that much. Now, as RD said, we'll see if he develops and the love is still there after next season.

If he can play and be a difference maker for the team, they'll get him here. It just has to leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth getting burned like we did.

Hopefully it works out well for both sides.

Oklahawg

Pruitt was close to qualifying, thus the risk. We also doubled-down on the talent by having him co-sign with UA and a JUCO. We want to make sure we have the first foot in the JUCO door to resign him.d
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

Quote from: WriterWrong on November 05, 2014, 01:54:57 pm
If he can play and be a difference maker for the team, they'll get him here. It just has to leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth getting burned like we did.

I'm not sure our coaches were shocked when he didn't make it.  This stuff happens and you plan for it.  The Mississippi schools always sign a ton of players who don't make it, because getting qualified is a big problem down there.

Pruitt had offers from Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Notre Dame, among others, so many schools were probably willing to take a risk on him.

ricepig

Quote from: WriterWrong on November 05, 2014, 01:54:57 pm

We didn't get burned, we knew the risk and took it. We were prepared to not sign him and grey shirt Hall if we hit every homerun on signing day, it turned out we struck out on two guys and thus went ahead with Pruitt. Now, hindsight says they didn't plan on signing Josh Williams and using up that spot, but we don't have 25 committed for this year, so right now it hasn't cost us anyone.