Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Three things that I think people are missing

Started by hogsanity, November 04, 2014, 01:45:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I saw where, yet again, BB was mentioned on Yahoo Sports - a story about coaches growing mustaches in support of Mike SLives cancer treatment, I thought of a couple of things.

1. The media really likes BB. Local, and national. Not alot of negative stuff about BB out there for coaches to use against him in the recruiting wars except the 17 game sec losing skid, BUT as you can see in 2 and 3, that does not seem to be hurting in recruiting right now because.....

2. When have you ever seen a team with a 17 game conf losing streak, and a 4-5 record in the current season, get so much positive press. Today we see they are ranked 20th in the ESPn power index. Yes, they benefit from the SEC being so darn good, but they still have earned that spot despite being -5 in the sec.  This has to help in recruiting.

3. Recruiting - shaping up to be the best Hog class, on paper on NSD, in maybe forever, and all that is with nothing other than a whole bunch of " almost wins ". Imagine how they can close if they should win enough to make a bowl, ANY BOWL.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2014, 01:45:58 pm
I saw where, yet again, BB was mentioned on Yahoo Sports - a story about coaches growing mustaches in support of Mike SLives cancer treatment, I thought of a couple of things.

1. The media really likes BB. Local, and national. Not alot of negative stuff about BB out there for coaches to use against him in the recruiting wars except the 17 game sec losing skid, BUT as you can see in 2 and 3, that does not seem to be hurting in recruiting right now because.....

2. When have you ever seen a team with a 17 game conf losing streak, and a 4-5 record in the current season, get so much positive press. Today we see they are ranked 20th in the ESPn power index. Yes, they benefit from the SEC being so darn good, but they still have earned that spot despite being -5 in the sec.  This has to help in recruiting.

3. Recruiting - shaping up to be the best Hog class, on paper on NSD, in maybe forever, and all that is with nothing other than a whole bunch of " almost wins ". Imagine how they can close if they should win enough to make a bowl, ANY BOWL.

Good points.  BB's focus is on getting kids to win the LOS on both sides of the ball, and play physical.  He's well on his way to doing that, and I'm sure a BIG part of that is his proven success with getting kids at those positions into the NFL.  What has to happen next, is we have to get some difference makers at the skill positions to add the icing to the cake. 

Just put any 2 of Childs, Adams, Wright, or Hamilton on this team...and I think we would have won a few more games just by having a threat and forcing teams away from putting so many in the box to stop the run.  We're closer than most people think we are. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

EastexHawg

If given a choice between winning and being liked...I'll defer to Leo Durocher.  I read his book.  He said if he was playing third base and his own dear, sweet mother was rounding the bag with the winning run for the opponent he would trip her.

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010/07/leo-durocher-nice-guys-finish-last.html

When it comes to sports, I don't have anything against being a nice guy and well liked...if you win.

Our fans are an odd bunch, or at least I think they are.  Typically fans of any team only care about three things.  Winning, winning, and winning.  Our fans, on the other hand, think Jeff Long is doing a great job because we make a lot of money and get excited about everyone in the media liking our football coach...despite the facts that we haven't made the NCAA basketball tournament since before Long got to Arkansas and are riding the longest conference losing streak in the nation in football.

It's both fascinating and dumbfounding at the same time.  I'm no psychologist, but if I had to guess I would say it's probably some sort of defense mechanism.

WarPig88

Sorry, but if losing didn't hurt recruiting, everyone would be doing it.

I find the media's infatuation with CBB as a negative. Seems I remember another Razorback coach the national and local media loved and defended even though he was under achieving.

Just win baby! Everything else will take care of itself.

MJ2

3 good points Hogsanity and it't totally baffeling.   Brady Hoke is the exact opposite.  Occassionally wins games and people hate him and the media is making a noose for him each week.

Shorttimer

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 04, 2014, 02:38:19 pm

It's both fascinating and dumbfounding at the same time.  I'm no psychologist, but if I had to guess I would say it's probably some sort of defense mechanism.

Or, quite possibly, some people choose to include context and trajectory in their assessment of Bielema's performance.  Just spitballin' here.

hogsanity

If given a choice between winning and being liked...I'll defer to Leo Durocher.  I read his book.  He said if he was playing third base and his own dear, sweet mother was rounding the bag with the winning run for the opponent he would trip her.

I love winning. If you had ever played golf against me, or played on a team with me in school, or even the youth games I have coached ( although not as intense as I used to be ) and seen my son play, you would know how much I hate losing at anything. However, and this is the point of this thread, players are still playing hard for him, and quality recruits are still willing to commit to play for him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

When it comes to sports, I don't have anything against being a nice guy and well liked...if you win.

Our fans are an odd bunch, or at least I think they are.  Typically fans of any team only care about three things.  Winning, winning, and winning.  Our fans, on the other hand, think Jeff Long is doing a great job because we make a lot of money and get excited about everyone in the media liking our football coach...despite the facts that we haven't made the NCAA basketball tournament since before Long got to Arkansas and are riding the longest conference losing streak in the nation in football.

I hate to lose, but I hate sore losers worse than anything else. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GolfnHog

Let's equate it to a forest fire. Though the habitat aint what it was prior to the fire, the earth still has to repair what was damaged and it's not back to normal for several years. Hell, even the lakes don't produce the same quality of fish for a period of time. It's called nature healing what was destroyed.

Whether it's a good analogy or not, frankly I'm not losing any sleep over it. I wake up every morning and hope that we'll get back on the winning track but I'd not throwing out the baby w/ the bath water just because it's not occurring at a rate I want it to. I'll take the positives that I'm seeing and enjoy the end result of the positives when they arrive.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Danny J

To the OP.....all three are very true and good points. Our recruiting is shaping up to be the best we have had since joining the conference.

rzrbackrob

Stockholm syndrome
Good is the enemy of great

upperdeck_hawg

Stan Heath was also well liked and generally a good recruiter.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

bigbadhog

It must be the best koolaid ever...  I am also baffled.  I can't imagine defending this situation that Jeff Long has lead us into.  Top ten to cellar dweller in football and no NCAA appearances in Basketball and he is doing a great job.  He does seem pretty good at promoting himself.  I will give him that...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

kaptainkory

1. The media really likes BB. Local, and national.

The media that covers sports is largely made up of former coaches and the like.  It's all the same GOBN fraternity really. They all LOVED Nutt, it seems.  He was one of their own.  And they all HATED Petrino.  The positive press doesn't hurt for exposure/recruiting purposes, but it doesn't win games.  In most cases, it isn't even much of a reflection on the true quality of the coach.  Remember how much the media fawned over Mack Brown or Charlie Weiss, even as they drove their respective powerhouses (Texas and Notre Dame) into the ground?

2. When have you ever seen a team with a 17 game conf losing streak, and a 4-5 record in the current season, get so much positive press.

Yay!  Now start winning.

Whether Razorback fans love or hate what is happening right now with the football program, *stability* is our only hope, Obi-Wan.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bigbadhog on November 04, 2014, 08:34:30 pm
It must be the best koolaid ever...  I am also baffled.  I can't imagine defending this situation that Jeff Long has lead us into.  Top ten to cellar dweller in football and no NCAA appearances in Basketball and he is doing a great job.  He does seem pretty good at promoting himself.  I will give him that...
Hey, we all hate losing but I don't see how Long has anything to do with the football issue.  Petrino basically fired himself with his off the field stuff.  I can blame Long for basketball for hiring Anderson but he went with the Good Ole boy network and people that are still thinking the richardson magic of the early 90s can be recaptured 20 years later.  probably nine out of 10 ADs would have done the same thing in both sports regarding what happened. 

Vantage 8 dude

I'll agree you're no psychologist, however, I suspect most who read your drivel would agree you are psychotic.

lefty08

Haha, everyone on this board wanted Anderson. Now they are blaming long for a 3 year rebuild. Funny stuff
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

1highhog

I'm not going to speak much about the basketball program, other than I think it was otherwise left on the back burner for about ten years before Jeff Long even got here until fans just lost any hope and interest in it.  Even though Mike was not my choice as Coach, I do think they make the NCAA this year, they need to win at least two games once there.

Your insight on Long's tenure here and many other posters on here feelings for him are mind boggling at best.  Most thought there was no way another AD was going to come right in here and do the job that Broyles had done for so many years raising funds, but Long has went far above anything Broyles ever did, besides having to get funds to pay the increasing Coaches salaries, he's made sure to keep the UofA ahead or up to date with any College in Ameica with our State of the Art Facilities.  Besides, he's sure we'll respected across the Nation, just not here, strange dude.

Now, on to our Football team and our Coaching staff.  Are you serious?  This is and easy one, I deal with your type on the Board daily, I know I'm beating my head against a brick wall, because your type are just that hard headed.  If you can't see the huge difference that CBB has made with bringing this team from the pits of hell almost two seasons ago to now, then you can't see SS.  Look at the recruiting that's being done, it's the best in our history, not enough for you huh.  Feel free to cheer for ASU and jump back on the wagon as it speeds by you in the next couple of years, maybe someone that didn't jump off will lend you a hand, it won't be me.

1highhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on November 04, 2014, 08:34:30 pm

I hope you quit following the Hogs and go whine about another team.  I bet if the Hogs won 10 games next year you'd find something to bitch about.  Bet I know who wears the pants in your family Mrs bigbadhog.

BENTON PIGGEE

It kinda reminds me of when Hugh Freeze took over for Houston Nutt. They were 0-8 in conference I think, but he was a minor celebrity from that Blind Side movie and then they had an awesome recruiting class. Coincidentally, Michael Oher and Bret Bieliema are exactly the same weight.

1highhog

November 05, 2014, 06:56:56 am #21 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:54:49 pm by 1highhog
Quote from: EastexHawg on November 04, 2014, 11:06:58 pm
LMAO.  You "deal with" my type?  Your sense of self-importance certainly isn't lacking.

There are three reasons why Long has raised a lot of money:

1. Petrino's winning  generated tremendous interest in the program and fueled a 60% increase in revenues
2. Some of the largest corporations and wealthiest people in America live in Arkansas.  They have been there for years and Long has nothing to do with their state of residence
3. Frank Broyles steered Arkansas into the SEC while Jeff Long was still wet behind the ears.  The conference is the most financially lucrative in America, was before Long left Pitt to come here, and Arkansas will still receive tremendous revenues from it long after Jeff Long has moved on.

See, this is why People like you don't need to post on message boards that are here to talk about our beloved team, the UofA.  You're not here to post anything other than to stir s--- up.  You don't know your facts about anything regarding Long, and what he's done for the Program, you think it's all because of Bobby, guess what Junior, it's because of Bobby that CBB and his staff have had such a major time digging out of hell last year and this one.  It'll happen wherever he goes in time, Petrino can't be trusted and looking back that's the only mistake Long made besides I didn't agree with hiring Anderson, but that's for another Forum.

Hoggie17

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 04, 2014, 08:23:37 pm
Stan Heath was also well liked and generally a good recruiter.
Coach O of Ole Miss is/was a very good recruiter. 

The Marmot

Quote from: 1highhog on November 04, 2014, 10:39:02 pm
Feel free to cheer for ASU and jump back on the wagon as it speeds by you in the next couple of years, maybe someone that didn't jump off will lend you a hand, it won't be me.

He is cheering for Louisville.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

DeltaBoy

Just shows something going on behind the scenes that we are not seeing on the field so far.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

EastexHawg

Quote from: 1highhog on November 05, 2014, 06:56:56 am
You don't know your facts about anything regarding Long, and what he's done for the Program, you think it's all because of Bobby

I just gave you the facts.  Given that Long didn't come to NW Arkansas in a prior life and impregnate the mothers of Sam Walton, J.B. Hunt, or any of the Tysons...at least to my knowledge...I would say his role in producing the kind of wealth that has allowed the University of Arkansas to build many of its current facilities is nil.

By the way...while we're on the subject of facts...Razorback Stadium was enlarged and renovated before the 2001 season.  Bud Walton was built and opened in the early 90s.  Baum Stadium was voted the best baseball facility in America while Long was still mollycoddling Dave Wannstedt in Pittsburgh.  The Tyson (there's one of those NW Arkansas big money names again) track facility was also already in place and hosting huge meets.

So what exactly has Long built that far surpasses anything done by his predecessor?

Speaking of his predecessor...Frank Broyles...you conveniently skipped past my point #3 just as you did point #2.  Broyles not only built Arkansas from the ground up, and not only handed over outstanding facilities to Long, but he also made the one decision that is more responsible for our current financial position than any other...moving Arkansas from the Southwest Conference after more than 75 years to the SEC.

Long's role in Arkansas being a member of the most successful and financially lucrative conference in America is zero.

But, rather than acknowledging Broyles' role or anything else, you make a beeline for your Petrino argument.  Perhaps you should take a look at that and ask if you yourself share the obsession of which you accuse so many others.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogsanity

I did not start this thread to point out that anyone should be happy with not winning. I started it to point out that DESPITE not winning, the program is not suffering the way you think a program would after losing 17 straight conf games.

Mich and Fla, not nearly as many losses, and the national sports media basically has a death watch on Muschamp and Hoke. Right now Fl's 2015 recruiting class is rated in the mid 70's. Michigan is rated 23rd ( with only 9 commitments so far ).

Hoggles

I think most everyone already understands that our team is improved, that the media likes our team and Bielema, that Bielema is very affable, and that our staff is recruiting both high talent and character guys.

ChicoHog

Quote from: lefty08 on November 04, 2014, 10:17:49 pm
Haha, everyone on this board wanted Anderson. Now they are blaming long for a 3 year rebuild. Funny stuff
I think you are exaggerating there.  Maybe 2/3 of the people wanted Anderson.  I sure didn't. 

1highhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 05, 2014, 10:29:08 am
I just gave you the facts.  Given that Long didn't come to NW Arkansas in a prior life and impregnate the mothers of Sam Walton, J.B. Hunt, or any of the Tysons...at least to my knowledge...I would say his role in producing the kind of wealth that has allowed the University of Arkansas to build many of its current facilities is nil.

By the way...while we're on the subject of facts...Razorback Stadium was enlarged and renovated before the 2001 season.  Bud Walton was built and opened in the early 90s.  Baum Stadium was voted the best baseball facility in America while Long was still mollycoddling Dave Wannstedt in Pittsburgh.  The Tyson (there's one of those NW Arkansas big money names again) track facility was also already in place and hosting huge meets.

So what exactly has Long built that far surpasses anything done by his predecessor?

Speaking of his predecessor...Frank Broyles...you conveniently skipped past my point #3 just as you did point #2.  Broyles not only built Arkansas from the ground up, and not only handed over outstanding facilities to Long, but he also made the one decision that is more responsible for our current financial position than any other...moving Arkansas from the Southwest Conference after more than 75 years to the SEC.

Long's role in Arkansas being a member of the most successful and financially lucrative conference in America is zero.

But, rather than acknowledging Broyles' role or anything else, you make a beeline for your Petrino argument.  Perhaps you should take a look at that and ask if you yourself share the obsession of which you accuse so many others.

I totally respect what Coach Broyles did when raising funds for the UofA, but most people, fans and the Arkansas media plus some of the National media thought that whomever thought took over Broyles place would have a difficult time reestablishing those same friendships and raise the funds that Broyles did.  But instead of the funds falling off, it's been raised to unprecedented levels under Long.  Your bringing up Bud Walton Arena and such is moot, everyone knows when all of our facilities were built, including Barnhill and its many remodels that's a fan.  But I'm talking about the recent additions since Long has been here, and I think you knew that, and there are different phases of that work going on right now, you know that to.  That's all under Longs watch buddy.  You may not like him for whatever reason, but it's baseless.  I loved Coach Broyles until he stayed past his time to retire, but I still appreciate his time he was Coach, just hate his meddling in way to many other Coaches bidness, and his cover up of Nutts sins.  I'll never forgive that.

1highhog

Quote from: lefty08 on November 04, 2014, 10:17:49 pm

I don't know where you got that, I was against that hire from the beginning and if there was still a search function I'd show you.  I never talked bad about Mike, I said I liked him, just not for our Bball Coach.  This is a make or break year for Mike, if he fails, to me he needs to go, no questions asked.  My deal is this, 4 years for a basketball Coach is plenty of time for you to see if he's got it or not, he only needs 4-5 guys and he can make a great team.  A football Coach needs that amount of time plus at least 7-12 good studs each year just to stay average in the SEC, more than that to move up in the rankings.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 04, 2014, 11:06:58 pm
LMAO.  You "deal with" my type?  Your sense of self-importance certainly isn't lacking.

There are three reasons why Long has raised a lot of money:

1. Petrino's winning  generated tremendous interest in the program and fueled a 60% increase in revenues
2. Some of the largest corporations and wealthiest people in America live in Arkansas.  They have been there for years and Long has nothing to do with their state of residence
3. Frank Broyles steered Arkansas into the SEC while Jeff Long was still wet behind the ears.  The conference is the most financially lucrative in America, was before Long left Pitt to come here, and Arkansas will still receive tremendous revenues from it long after Jeff Long has moved on.

Unless you're interviewing donors, you really have no idea why they're giving.  Those aren't bad guesses, but they are guesses nonetheless.

You also forget that sports requires a level of optimism regardless, and college football is somewhat unique.  In part because until recently we stayed away from the playoffs (I wish they still didn't have them), but largely because every year over 100 teams end the season without a title.  They will lose.  And now with the playoff it's even more acute. 

So following any sports team requires a comfort with losing, and especially a college football team, where you're counting on young people who are ostensibly only supposed to be doing this part time, and thus are going to be prone to boneheaded mistakes at the worst time. 

But also because for 80% of schools, they're not about winning, winning, winning.  They're a marketing endeavor for the school, designed to foster a sense of community with alumni and draw more students in.  Winning is nice, but it's secondary to that mission. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Mike Irwin

I would say that they understand football.

1. Bielema inherited a mess.
2. Progress is being made fixing the mess.
3. Winning conference games in the toughest stretch of opponents in the history of Razorback football doesn't happen just because certain anonymous fans demand it.

Inhogswetrust

Our fans are an odd bunch, or at least I think they are.  Typically fans of any team only care about three things.  Winning, winning, and winning. Our fans, on the other hand, think Jeff Long is doing a great job because we make a lot of money and get excited about everyone in the media liking our football coach...despite the facts that we haven't made the NCAA basketball tournament since before Long got to Arkansas and are riding the longest conference losing streak in the nation in football.

Wow you must not know people as well as you think if you believe a "typical" fans cares about nothing more than wins............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kaptainkory on November 04, 2014, 08:46:25 pm
The media that covers sports is largely made up of former coaches and the like.  It's all the same GOBN fraternity really. They all LOVED Nutt, it seems.  He was one of their own.  And they all HATED Petrino.  The positive press doesn't hurt for exposure/recruiting purposes, but it doesn't win games.  In most cases, it isn't even much of a reflection on the true quality of the coach.  Remember how much the media fawned over Mack Brown or Charlie Weiss, even as they drove their respective powerhouses (Texas and Notre Dame) into the ground?

Yay!  Now start winning.

Whether Razorback fans love or hate what is happening right now with the football program, *stability* is our only hope, Obi-Wan.

After reading that I knew you should have repeated grade school...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 06, 2014, 05:14:52 am

3. Winning conference games in the toughest stretch of opponents in the history of Razorback football doesn't happen just because certain anonymous fans demand it.

Thank you Mike Irwin for putting some reminders out there for everyone, again.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

DeltaBoy

Your correct Mike still I could take it better if we were just getting whipped vs leading in the 4th quarter and giving it away.

1highhog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 05, 2014, 09:33:53 pm
Unless you're interviewing donors, you really have no idea why they're giving.  Those aren't bad guesses, but they are guesses nonetheless.

You also forget that sports requires a level of optimism regardless, and college football is somewhat unique.  In part because until recently we stayed away from the playoffs (I wish they still didn't have them), but largely because every year over 100 teams end the season without a title.  They will lose.  And now with the playoff it's even more acute. 

So following any sports team requires a comfort with losing, and especially a college football team, where you're counting on young people who are ostensibly only supposed to be doing this part time, and thus are going to be prone to boneheaded mistakes at the worst time. 

But also because for 80% of schools, they're not about winning, winning, winning.  They're a marketing endeavor for the school, designed to foster a sense of community with alumni and draw more students in.  Winning is nice, but it's secondary to that mission. 

Good way to sum it up.  Not every fan cares about just WINNING!  To me, that's the fan that doesn't care how you win, and will not only bend the rules, but doesn't care if our School breaks every rule in order to do so.  If the Razorbacks did that and won a Championship, I'd hope they were found out and given the death penalty, I wish that happened to every School found cheating.  I hate nothing worse than a thief, and that's what a School would be by cheating to win, a cheat and a lie.

1highhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 06, 2014, 08:24:14 am
Your correct Mike still I could take it better if we were just getting whipped vs leading in the 4th quarter and giving it away.

Delts, that will come in time, and when it comes, it'll come in bunches.  Don't jump off the ship just yet.

EastexHawg

November 06, 2014, 08:52:37 am #40 Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:55:33 am by EastexHawg
Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 06, 2014, 05:14:52 am

1.  Who is demanding anything?  Is expressing an opinion "demanding"?
2.  We didn't go straight from Petrino to Bielema.  Long hired John L. Smith in between, a gaffe of staggering proportions.  How could the so-called smartest guy in the room have thought that was going to work out?
3.  Is the basketball team playing the toughest stretch of games in history?
4.  I think we should start a thread titled "Besides 2010-2011 Razorback Football, Outstanding Sports Teams Fielded By Any University At Which Jeff Long Is Or Was The Athletic Director".  Or, we could just hand write the list on the head of a pin.

I'm not sure why every time some of us say "Jeff Long" the response ignores our AD and goes straight to a defense of Bret Bielema.  I'm not talking about Bielema, at least not directly.  I've said over and over that I think he will get and deserves at least one more year to see what he can do.  I'm not as convinced as everyone else that our "improvement" will lead to anything other than more improvement...however you measure that...but I'm willing to wait and see.  Long, on the other hand, has been on the job for seven years.

Hoggish1

We are poised to become a SEC power. All it will take is a little more patience. I'm really looking forward to the last three games.

Hoggish1

Here's the thing:   When we start winning, which will be soon; our fans will care only about three things: Winning, winning and winning.

Right now, real fans (the patient ones), see that we are putting ourselves in position for the three things...

Hoggish1

Quote from: GolfnHog on November 04, 2014, 08:09:29 pm
Let's equate it to a forest fire. Though the habitat aint what it was prior to the fire, the earth still has to repair what was damaged and it's not back to normal for several years. Hell, even the lakes don't produce the same quality of fish for a period of time. It's called nature healing what was destroyed.

Whether it's a good analogy or not, frankly I'm not losing any sleep over it. I wake up every morning and hope that we'll get back on the winning track but I'd not throwing out the baby w/ the bath water just because it's not occurring at a rate I want it to. I'll take the positives that I'm seeing and enjoy the end result of the positives when they arrive.

Very well said!

Analogies and metaphors are very powerful when used to describe our football situation, though they will surely be lost on the crowd that wanted BP to stay or for GM to have been his successor, or even the nutty crowd that still mourn HN's departure... 

Hawgzinbowlz

We just to need to start winning some SEC games... not all right away... just some.

For the folks that dislike (LOL) Jeff Long : http://newswire.uark.edu/articles/21377/long-named-an-under-armour-athletics-director-of-the-year
Combine the above with being named to head up the playoff selection committee should count for something...but I'm sure it won't. LOL

" GO HOGS "

Hawgboy64

3 things I miss are
1: Winning seasons and Bowl games
2: Watching March Madness with the Hogs
3: Ronald Reagan as President
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 06, 2014, 08:52:37 am
1.  Who is demanding anything?  Is expressing an opinion "demanding"?
2.  We didn't go straight from Petrino to Bielema.  Long hired John L. Smith in between, a gaffe of staggering proportions.  How could the so-called smartest guy in the room have thought that was going to work out?
3.  Is the basketball team playing the toughest stretch of games in history?
4.  I think we should start a thread titled "Besides 2010-2011 Razorback Football, Outstanding Sports Teams Fielded By Any University At Which Jeff Long Is Or Was The Athletic Director".  Or, we could just hand write the list on the head of a pin.

I'm not sure why every time some of us say "Jeff Long" the response ignores our AD and goes straight to a defense of Bret Bielema.  I'm not talking about Bielema, at least not directly.  I've said over and over that I think he will get and deserves at least one more year to see what he can do.  I'm not as convinced as everyone else that our "improvement" will lead to anything other than more improvement...however you measure that...but I'm willing to wait and see.  Long, on the other hand, has been on the job for seven years.
And everyone in the country, except for a few MB jackasses with no understanding of running an athletic department, thinks he's the top AD in the whole shooting' match.

Will you come back and admit you are wrong when we start seeing the sustained high level play we are building for?
All Gas, No Brakes!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 06, 2014, 10:45:45 am
And everyone in the country, except for a few MB jackasses with no understanding of running an athletic department, thinks he's the top AD in the whole shooting' match.

Will you come back and admit you are wrong when we start seeing the sustained high level play we are building for?

Why would I need to admit I am wrong?  Are you, we, or anyone else going to wave a magic wand and make what has already happened disappear?

There are two issues regarding the football program.  One is how we are going to get out of the sorry situation in which we find ourselves, and that's Coach Bielema's area.

The second is...how did we get into our current sorry situation in the first place?  And...that's Long's responsibility.

If Bret Bielema beats Ole Miss and Missouri this year to finish 2-6, then goes 4-4 in the SEC next year, that will be improvement on his part.  But...it won't erase the fact that Arkansas football has gone from 6-2, 6-2 in SEC play in 2010 and 2011 to its lowest point in history, at least in terms of in-conference futility, from 2012 to the present.  In my opinion you don't just ignore or gloss over a three year disaster of that magnitude.  That we may get back to where we were in 5, 10, or 20 years won't mean that the loss of momentum, the poor decisions, and the overall futility never happened.

I'm also of the opinion that you don't just write off seven years of basketball with nothing more to show for it than one first round loss in the NIT.

I'm not real sure why so many of our fans are willing to trade years of terrible (by previous Arkansas standards) performance on the field for our AD being a media darling and being on a committee.  I'm not. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 06, 2014, 11:19:58 am
Why would I need to admit I am wrong?  Are you, we, or anyone else going to wave a magic wand and make what has already happened disappear?

There are two issues regarding the football program.  One is how we are going to get out of the sorry situation in which we find ourselves, and that's Coach Bielema's area.

The second is...how did we get into our current sorry situation in the first place?  And...that's Long's responsibility.

If Bret Bielema beats Ole Miss and Missouri this year to finish 2-6, then goes 4-4 in the SEC next year, that will be improvement on his part.  But...it won't erase the fact that Arkansas football has gone from 6-2, 6-2 in SEC play in 2010 and 2011 to its lowest point in history, at least in terms of in-conference futility, from 2012 to the present.  In my opinion you don't just ignore or gloss over a three year disaster of that magnitude.  That we may get back to where we were in 5, 10, or 20 years won't mean that the loss of momentum, the poor decisions, and the overall futility never happened.

I'm also of the opinion that you don't just write off seven years of basketball with nothing more to show for it than one first round loss in the NIT.

I'm not real sure why so many of our fans are willing to trade years of terrible (by previous Arkansas standards) performance on the field for our AD being a media darling and being on a committee.  I'm not.
It saddens me that I once believed you were a smart poster.  I am ashamed to admit I am from the same part of the great state of Texas as you.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawgzinbowlz

"Football is a game of courage, and one of the lessons I talk about with my players is you have to take the arrow in the forehead, which means tell the truth," Petrino said. "Don't blame things on your teammate next to you. Tell the truth in all your relationships."

It's a different world today. Some blame the guy who poured the sewage onto the program and some blame the guy who has to clean it up, for not cleaning it up fast enough.
Take the arrow to the forehead and be truthful.

" GO HOGS "