Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas ranked #20 in ESPN Power Index

Started by The_Iceman, November 04, 2014, 11:26:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sir Oinksalot

Great !!  This illustrates the power of this league....and that others see huge progress being made here...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Calling All Hogs

Welcome to the world of the SEC where 6 out of our 8 conference opponents are ranked in the top 11 power rankings.

SemperFi

Quote from: HF#1 on November 04, 2014, 11:35:27 am
Give me a W...

Here's your "W". If you want another one let me know. I sure wish everything else was as easy as that.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

bphi11ips

The ESPN power rankings this year may be the most accurate ranking ever when it comes to true quality.  How long have they been doing this?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwild

I can't view the link(they block ESPN on work computers) but I saw yesterday that we were 10th in the ESPN Powerrankings for the SEC.  It is amazing that 10 teams from our conference are among the best 20 in all of college football.

greasy_corner

WorfHog

Quote from: Hogwild on November 04, 2014, 12:26:12 pm
I can't view the link(they block ESPN on work computers) but I saw yesterday that we were 10th in the ESPN Powerrankings for the SEC.  It is amazing that 10 teams from our conference are among the best 20 in all of college football.

Too bad we can't play the four that don't make the cut haha

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: WorfHog on November 04, 2014, 12:29:13 pm
Too bad we can't play the four that don't make the cut haha
Sure wish we could play aTm over.

The Galloping Ghost

This is awesome!

What post season play does this make us eligible for?
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

hawgbawb

Based on this we beat Mizzou but not LSU or Ol'Piss
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

I BLEED RBack RED

Sure wish we had a vandy or Kentucky or even tenn on our schedule! Oh, well...u play the cards you're dealt.
Quote from: greasy_corner on November 04, 2014, 12:27:06 pm

That's funny!
The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).

RazorPiggie

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/tab/efficiency

14th in Team Efficiencies

The team efficiencies are the point contributions of each unit to the team's schedule-adjusted scoring margin, on a per-game basis. For example, a value of +8 for the defense would mean that the defense adds 8 points per game towards that margin through all its contributions while on the field (preventing points, ending drives, forcing turnovers, etc.).

DukeOfPork

Projected wins: 5.4-6.6

Right about where I expected before the season.  I predicted 6 wins.  Except I expected us to get blown out a couple times.

As frustrating as the season has been, we're ahead of where I expected us to be.  I expected improvement but not many wins to show for it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 04, 2014, 01:03:30 pm
Projected wins: 5.4-6.6

Right about where I expected before the season.  I predicted 6 wins.  Except I expected us to get blown out a couple times.

As frustrating as the season has been, we're ahead of where I expected us to be.  I expected improvement but not many wins to show for it.

I predicted 6, but I also didn't think Miss State and Ole Miss would be Top 5 teams.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

redeye

We're not only the highest 5-loss team, but we're also ranked higher then any team with 4 losses.  Stanford is the highest ranked 4-loss team and they're right behind us.

We're 14th in Team Efficiency.  I find it interesting that our offense is rated much higher then our defense, when I believe most would agree that offense is the bigger problem. I'm sure some of that is because we've played 5 teams ranked in the top-20 offensively, but only 3 for defense.  However, I mostly think it's proof that our offense isn't bad, but just isn't getting it done on the scoreboard.

Corkscrew Johnson

arkbadger

Texas A&M is also ranked 22 and Florida is 23 so I question the legitimacy of this poll
You can keep that skoal baby.

Hogwild

Quote from: kaptainkory on November 04, 2014, 04:04:32 pm
SIOP

Arkansas used for and against SEC powers

Great Read

QuoteIf you think Arkansas isn't underrated, consider this: The Razorbacks are ranked No. 20 in ESPN's Football Power Index, which measures a team's strength and predicts its performance moving forward based on results to date and remaining opponents. That comes despite a remaining strength of schedule that ranks third nationally. At 4-5, Arkansas is the only sub-.500 team in the top 30 of the FPI.

If statistics don't interest you then look at Arkansas' roster, which is better than you might expect. Though the Razorbacks don't have a game-changer at QB, they have one of the best tandem of running backs in the country in Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams. Their offensive line is massive. Hunter Henry might be the SEC's best tight end, and Trey Flowers has to be one of the most unheralded defensive ends in all of college football.

SuthrnFballer15

"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Jek Tono Porkins

If it turns out that Arkansas stays in the top 25 of the ESPN Power Index but doesn't get a bowl berth, there needs to be some serious bowl reform. Even if we did manage to get six wins, we would absolutely crush rape whoever our bowl opponent was. For example, last year, Mississippi State had a 6 win regular season and played RICE in a bowl game. Ole Miss had a 7 win season and played GEORGIA TECH.

Could you imagine what we would do to Rice or Georgia Tech? We would rape them. Like "Over a barrel, no lube, grit yo teeth, think of Paris" rape.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on November 04, 2014, 05:27:46 pm
If it turns out that Arkansas stays in the top 25 of the ESPN Power Index but doesn't get a bowl berth, there needs to be some serious bowl reform. Even if we did manage to get six wins, we would absolutely crush rape whoever our bowl opponent was. For example, last year, Mississippi State had a 6 win regular season and played RICE in a bowl game. Ole Miss had a 7 win season and played GEORGIA TECH.

Could you imagine what we would do to Rice or Georgia Tech? We would rape them. Like "Over a barrel, no lube, grit yo teeth, think of Paris" rape.
And that is the difference in this year and last. Had we happen to make a bowl last year, I would have feared any team we were matched against. If we make it this year, it would likely be a route against whoever we were matched up with in a minor bowl.

shotgun7

We have been 20 most all year, slipped to 21 that I remember and were to 19 at 1 point.

rusvegashog

jesterzzn

Hoggles

Quote from: shotgun7 on November 05, 2014, 01:14:15 pm
We have been 20 most all year, slipped to 21 that I remember and were to 19 at 1 point.

Quote from: jesterzzn on November 05, 2014, 04:20:33 pm
Where can I buy the t-shirt?

Phil D

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 05, 2014, 03:31:26 pm
So that puts us in what bowl?

I guess we will find out at the end of the year. We still have three football games to play with the worst of the schedule behind us and a bye week to prep for LSU. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Baller

Quote from: Phil D on November 05, 2014, 05:25:46 pm
I guess we will find out at the end of the year. We still have three football games to play with the worst of the schedule behind us and a bye week to prep for LSU. :razorback:

We get LSU and I can almost guarantee you we'll take care of Mizzou.  That's a bowl game.

First, LSU.  Worry about bowling later..  But the key is LSU in my mind..

rusvegashog

As it stands, If we make a bowl game this year 'they' will have earned it for sure. Would be special.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 04, 2014, 11:35:44 am
Welcome to the world of the SEC where 6 out of our 8 conference opponents are ranked in the top 11 power rankings.

Just like in recruiting. You can have a top 20 class in recruiting and still finish 12th among SEC teams.

MountieDawg

Quote from: SemperFi on November 04, 2014, 12:01:29 pm
Here's your "W". If you want another one let me know. I sure wish everything else was as easy as that.

L. L.  L.   L.  L.  L

L's have been much easier the last few years.
SEC!

Corkscrew Johnson

What's funny is that if you had replaced auburn, A&M, and Georgia with ACC cupcakes, we would be 7-2 and ranked top 15 (at least).  Our same exact team.  And then I'm sure our fans would either (1) be bashing us for playing in a weak league, or (2) actually think we were that much better because our record says so.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 08, 2014, 06:22:36 am
What's funny is that if you had replaced auburn, A&M, and Georgia with ACC cupcakes, we would be 7-2 and ranked top 15 (at least).  Our same exact team.  And then I'm sure our fans would either (1) be bashing us for playing in a weak league, or (2) actually think we were that much better because our record says so.

Or, the Big 12 for that matter.
Go Hogs Go!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: redeye on November 04, 2014, 03:02:14 pm
We're not only the highest 5-loss team, but we're also ranked higher then any team with 4 losses.  Stanford is the highest ranked 4-loss team and they're right behind us.

We're 14th in Team Efficiency.  I find it interesting that our offense is rated much higher then our defense, when I believe most would agree that offense is the bigger problem. I'm sure some of that is because we've played 5 teams ranked in the top-20 offensively, but only 3 for defense.  However, I mostly think it's proof that our offense isn't bad, but just isn't getting it done on the scoreboard.
I agree, we can't get  it done in the Red Zone.x
I love off season Football!!

FATHAWG08

In the next 3 games this team is going to play 4 quarters of Football and we are going to stop this streak in very impressive fashion. We are fixing to stomp someone. Been taking the points & Hogs have been paying up.
I love off season Football!!

Steef

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: farmhawg on November 08, 2014, 09:37:21 am
Wonder if we get a trophy for that??

No, but we understand (at least those of us who are rational) that we are a vastly improved team that is close to breaking through.
Go Hogs Go!

secfan30

Quote from: farmhawg on November 08, 2014, 09:37:21 am
Wonder if we get a trophy for that??

The same trophy that #20 in the AP gets.

Only difference is this isn't a popularity vote however, but uses facts and data.