Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football IQ.

Started by hawgfan4life, November 03, 2014, 08:39:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

Sometimes a fan simply needs to have some football IQ and this team is one of those times.

1.  We have had really low recruiting classes for several years going back to BP last two classes.  Combine that with program turmoil and you have average recruits not being developed into a system.  On the bright side, BB's class last year and current class appear to be the best recruiting we have seen since the 1960s.

2.  We are currently playing the toughest schedule in the history of modern football.  That isn't hyperbole, but is fact.  Think of that for a while.  Consider point 1 above and then remember this group of young players is playing the toughest schedule in the history of football polls.

3.  We have won every single game fans expected we should win before the season started and darn near won every game fans felt we're sue losses.  We have dominated the games we won.

4.  Fans act like BB is the only coach that messes up a d BA is the only QB to throw interceptions.  The hard truth is BB is a proven winner and BA has had a very solid season statistically.  We are not as athletic as the teams we have lost to and we are playing elite teams riding success and confidence when we play them.

5.  Losing sucks and mistakes are magnified ten fold when losing.  However only a football fan void of football IQ can't see how far this team has come since BB arrived and the direction we are moving.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 03, 2014, 08:39:58 pm
Sometimes a fan simply needs to have some football IQ and this team is one of those times.

1.  We have had really low recruiting classes for several years going back to BP last two classes.  Combine that with program turmoil and you have average recruits not being developed into a system.  On the bright side, BB's class last year and current class appear to be the best recruiting we have seen since the 1960s.

2.  We are currently playing the toughest schedule in the history of modern football.  That isn't hyperbole, but is fact.  Think of that for a while.  Consider point 1 above and then remember this group of young players is playing the toughest schedule in the history of football polls.

3.  We have won every single game fans expected we should win before the season started and darn near won every game fans felt we're sue losses.  We have dominated the games we won.

4.  Fans act like BB is the only coach that messes up a d BA is the only QB to throw interceptions.  The hard truth is BB is a proven winner and BA has had a very solid season statistically.  We are not as athletic as the teams we have lost to and we are playing elite teams riding success and confidence when we play them.

5.  Losing sucks and mistakes are magnified ten fold when losing.  However only a football fan void of football IQ can't see how far this team has come since BB arrived and the direction we are moving.

Winna!

majestic

7. FU, majestic! If you are such a great coach, get out there and do better. You can't possibly see any mistakes unless you have coached for at least 15 years in the SEC.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

pigbacon

The OP is correct. I made a conscious decision to emotionally detach myself prior to this season, with 2015 on the horizon, and let the chips fall where they may. This mindset has actually allowed me to enjoy watching this team. Still, it's agonizing to watch this team lose conference game after game, but I can guarantee you nobody feels it as bad as the coaches and players.

All said, I think 2015 will be pivotal and set the tone for CBB's tenure at the U of A.

I do believe that it's remarkable, considering all that has transpired since 2012, that the Hogs are as competitive as this team has been.

Hopefully we finish strong, and continue making strides. WPS!

arlhog

Quote from: pigbacon on November 03, 2014, 09:11:14 pm
The OP is correct. I made a conscious decision to emotionally detach myself prior to this season, with 2015 on the horizon, and let the chips fall where they may. This mindset has actually allowed me to enjoy watching this team. Still, it's agonizing to watch this team lose conference game after game, but I can guarantee you nobody feels it as bad as the coaches and players.

All said, I think 2015 will be pivotal and set the tone for CBB's tenure at the U of A.

I do believe that it's remarkable, considering all that has transpired since 2012, that the Hogs are as competitive as this team has been.

Hopefully we finish strong, and continue making strides. WPS!
I made a decision to emotionally detach myself too,  but I just couldn't do it.   SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK

arlhog

oops.   was going to say  sick of losing.   I do see progress and it's amazing these kids play as hard as they do.   Think we are headed in the right direction and even if I am wrong you gotta give a guy at the very least 3-4 years to prove himself bad.    WPS.   

redeye

Winning may be all that matters to some, but I appreciate playing well and don't care if some consider that a "moral victory".  I guess I'm a bit of a pro when it comes to putting things in context, but I've been saying for some time that this is a good Arkansas team.  Winless in the SEC may very well equal undefeated in another conference, where we're considered national title contenders.

Don't get me wrong, because I know that winning matters and CBB will eventually need to win SEC games to keep his job.  But it would flat out dumb to fire a coach who has you trending up, because you're incapable of seeing improvement and are tired of waiting.  I'm sure a lot of MSU fans could tell you all about that, since so many wanted Mullen fired years ago.

hawgfan4life

Any fan that wants change now is wanting a decade more of turmoil and losing.  What more do these people want.  We are improving on the field by leaps and bounds and recruiting is better than it has ever been in the modern era and we are doing it against the toughest schedule in the modern era.

Yep! Let's go back to square one and start over again and see what happens.  That would clearly be the best strategy.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on November 03, 2014, 09:03:15 pm
8. No one cares about moral victories.

No one is claiming moral victories.  Objectively looking at the direction and progress of the football team has nothing to do with claiming a moral victory.  It's simply what a rational person does.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

eusebius

Regarding SOS: Different sites and services will rank these in different order but per this one:
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/season-sos-by-other

1. Auburn (7-1)
2. Alabama (7-1)
3. LSU (7-2)
4. Mississippi (7-2)
5. Arkansas (4-5)
6. Miss State (8-0)
7. Kansas St (7-1)
8. Texas A&M (6-3)
9. Oklahoma (6-2)
10. W Virginia (6-3)

So, is it acccurate to say currently Arkansas has the most difficult schedule in the country or in the history of college football. No, it's not. I will show you some more difficult ones in cfb history if you are curious.

It is accurate to say that Arkansas has one of the most difficult? Yes. It's also accurate to say that Arkansas has had one of the most difficult since joining the SEC. But so have other teams. This is our reality. Every year it will be tough. It will not get any easier. Even with Ole Miss and Miss St being good this year that won't change things much. When Ole Miss and Miss St drop back off, then Tenn or Florida will be good again.   

Also, the better Arkansas is, the less it will look like the schedule is that daunting. CFB functions more and more like cbb with the whole strength of schedule arguments. Just like in cbb, commentators talk more and more about "good" losses.

These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

DeltaBoy

We had a murders row schedule and too many mistakes to win many games. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

code red

6.  This team has issues finishing in the 4th...both as players and as coaches.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Mike_e

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 06, 2014, 07:46:13 pm
No one is claiming moral victories.  Objectively looking at the direction and progress of the football team has nothing to do with claiming a moral victory.  It's simply what a rational person does.

Meh, a moral victory is when you get propositioned by a pair of redheaded twins and turn them down because you're married.

And then find out that not only were they vice cops, but guys.

For the Win.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

hawgfan4life

No team in modern history played as many teams in the top ten as AR did when they played them.  A&M is a shell of the team right now not playing with a fraction of the confidence and swagger they had when we played them.  So yeah!  I stick with my assertion.  No sense in letting facts get in the way. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 06, 2014, 07:46:13 pm

This is true.
Go Hogs Go!