Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scariest thought regarding QB position.

Started by Arazorbackguy1, November 03, 2014, 02:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 05, 2014, 11:41:36 am
MikeIrwin, the coaches aren't doing too well in in game management. To not win an SEC team while being injury free is a statement of the coaches not doing well when the game starts. Chaney can blame the OL but he is the weakness. The play action offense doesn't work and Chaney should be fired after the season.
Chaney is not going anywhere.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 05, 2014, 03:16:22 pm
If you don't think the 3 close losses are the responsibility of our QB not being able to make plays when you need to make plays. Then you don't know anything about winning football games. Stats are for losers, because they will lie to you.

You make good reads and complete simple passes in 4th quarters to extend drives to win football games, you don't fumble snaps that kill momentum on game winning drives( aTm), and underthrow receivers on TD plays that turn into interceptions (Bama and Miss St.).

Any QB that is a winner, makes the plays in the 4th qtr. when needed, even when teammates fumble, drop passes, and miss field goals, assignments or tackles. None of our WR/TE/RB's are lowly recruited players with the exception of Derby. Our WR's are not Adams/Gragg/Childs/Wright group but they aren't at the UCA or UAPB level of talent that so many on here try to make them seem. They have mostly except Auburn game done their job. If you want to blame some part of the team for the QB's passing struggles look at the OL who struggles to pass block.

So how is it the QB;s fault if in the 4th Q, or any other time for that matter, he makes the throw, and it is dropped. OR he leads a drive, and the kicker misses a FG? Or he checks into the perfect play, and it is called back due to a penalty?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggles

Quote from: hogsanity on November 05, 2014, 04:00:57 pm
So how is it the QB;s fault if in the 4th Q, or any other time for that matter, he makes the throw, and it is dropped. OR he leads a drive, and the kicker misses a FG? Or he checks into the perfect play, and it is called back due to a penalty?

He plays very, very poorly in the 4th quarter of games. I don't think he's the cause of us losing games though.

root_hawg

He plays poorly in the 4th cause w have no depth on the OL and by that time, he is always running for his life

Hoggles

Quote from: root_hawg on November 05, 2014, 04:16:13 pm
He plays poorly in the 4th cause w have no depth on the OL and by that time, he is always running for his life

Then why do our RBs do well (with their relatively low number of carries) in the 4th quarter? 

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 04:18:28 pm
Then why do our RBs do well (with their relatively low number of carries) in the 4th quarter? 

Please list the average per carry in the forth quarter for our running backs in SEC games/
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hoggles

November 05, 2014, 04:22:11 pm #156 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:38:00 pm by Hoggles
Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on November 05, 2014, 04:20:47 pm
Please list the average per carry in the forth quarter for our running backs in SEC games/

I don't have those numbers. If you do, please post them and BA's too. Thanks. My guess is that they get very few carries, so the sample size is not going to be big. That's largely why we lose games: We take the ball out of AC and Williams's hands, our best offensive weapons.

Qbackinman

I don't understand all the defending of Allen. He's gotten better, but a quarterback has to make plays when it counts and he's never done that. That's not bashing him that's just the truth.

hogsanity

Quote from: Qbackinman on November 05, 2014, 04:23:22 pm
I don't understand all the defending of Allen. He's gotten better, but a quarterback has to make plays when it counts and he's never done that. That's not bashing him that's just the truth.

All a Qb can do is throw it. Someone has to be open, someone has to catch it. QB can't make the Db's not lose a wr. Qb can't make a lineman not hold or jump off side.

There are far more Qbs in college football like BA than like Bryce Petty or Jameis Winston.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

elksnort

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 03, 2014, 07:00:25 pm
True but it's shortsighted to put it all on BA when we are woefully inadequate at WR
Chris, I'm not putting it ALL on BA.

Ramtough

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2014, 03:54:45 pm
With Chaney's record as a OC in the sec I would think letting him go would be a fairly easy decision. This and the QB position will be Bielema's undoing unless we can win 2 of the next 3 and more than 6 next year.

Hoggles

He's done phenomenal against non-conference foes the last two years, so I think if he were at a smaller school that he'd thrive.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2014, 03:54:45 pm

MikeIrwin, Chaney removal is necessary to the success of the program. There has to be staff changes unless they get to a bowl game. No bowl game and changes must be made. Chaney getting sacked should be first on Jeff Long's list along with the special teams coach.

However, Hogs need to go to a bowl game; then everyone is safe.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 03, 2014, 04:39:50 pm

I saw him stick with upper class QB's at UW, when it appeared there were more talented guys sitting on the bench.  There was one kid (sorry, can't recall the name) who couldn't hit the wide side of a barn that he painfully stuck with.

Lol.  So, you are saying that you know more about the QB's at UW, than the coaches did...because you... "saw".... BB stick with a certain one...."when it appeared" there was more talent on the bench??  "Appeared"?? Lol. Guess you were there for all the practices, etc. & of course are a better judge of talent.  Why would any coach not put the best player on the field that he believed would help them win?   What you are saying, is not logical.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

I believe all the blaming of the QB, is ridiculous. BA is not an All-SEC player, but neither is he a bad player..... & he is evidently the best we have at that position right now.  It doesn't matter to me who is our QB, Peavy, Austin Allen, etc.....or Ty Storey next year.  Just want the best we have on the field, & that is evidently BA right now, or our coach's would have another out there.

Funny, all this talk about our QB not making the plays, & yet all the other things are going largely unnoticed. Miss St's winning touchdown play, came on a pass where their receiver ran right by our safety & was not even chased.  When he caught the ball, there was not a Razorback within 15 yards of him. Hardly a mention of that on Hogville, yet it was the biggest play of the game.  Guess their winning touchdown play,  & uncovered receiver was BA's fault too.

When we have a first & goal & cannot run the ball in for a TD on 4 tries....guess that's BA's fault.  Our OL is not as dominant as projected at the first of the season, & doesn't always pass block well.   What about all the stupid personal foul penalties that seem to kill us....starting with the Tex A&M game, & still continue?   Guess that's the QB's fault.  Too many on here expect our QB to all be an All-American, but don't expect the same type of play from our other players. Often we do not look at, or seem to ignore the weakness's on the rest of our team.  We have 11 players out there every snap, it only takes one missed assignment, etc. to make things go wrong.  There are plenty of reason's for our 5 losses this year, & most of them are not our QB.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 05, 2014, 05:02:49 pm
MikeIrwin, Chaney removal is necessary to the success of the program. There has to be staff changes unless they get to a bowl game. No bowl game and changes must be made. Chaney getting sacked should be first on Jeff Long's list along with the special teams coach.

However, Hogs need to go to a bowl game; then everyone is safe.
What does Jeff Long have to do with staff changes (which won't happen) in the football program?

Hoggles

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 05, 2014, 05:59:38 pm

I believe all the blaming of the QB, is ridiculous. BA is not an All-SEC player, but neither is he a bad player..... & he is evidently the best we have at that position right now.  It doesn't matter to me who is our QB, Peavy, Austin Allen, etc.....or Ty Storey next year.  Just want the best we have on the field, & that is evidently BA right now, or our coach's would have another out there.

Funny, all this talk about our QB not making the plays, & yet all the other things are going largely unnoticed. Miss St's winning touchdown play, came on a pass where their receiver ran right by our safety & was not even chased.  When he caught the ball, there was not a Razorback within 15 yards of him. Hardly a mention of that on Hogville, yet it was the biggest play of the game.  Guess their winning touchdown play,  & uncovered receiver was BA's fault too.

When we have a first & goal & cannot run the ball in for a TD on 4 tries....guess that's BA's fault.  Our OL is not as dominant as projected at the first of the season, & doesn't always pass block well.   What about all the stupid personal foul penalties that seem to kill us....starting with the Tex A&M game, & still continue?   Guess that's the QB's fault.  Too many on here expect our QB to all be an All-American, but don't expect the same type of play from our other players. Often we do not look at, or seem to ignore the weakness's on the rest of our team.  We have 11 players out there every snap, it only takes one missed assignment, etc. to make things go wrong.  There are plenty of reason's for our 5 losses this year, & most of them are not our QB.

The bigger problem was that he threw the ball forty times in three of those losses. That's completely on the coaches and not him. Our line has a natural advantage in run blocking, we have two studly RBs (I'd say three but whatever), and we have him pass the ball forty times in close and very winnable games like those against Alabama and Mississippi State.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Ramtough on November 05, 2014, 04:50:39 pm
With Chaney's record as a OC in the sec I would think letting him go would be a fairly easy decision. This and the QB position will be Bielema's undoing unless we can win 2 of the next 3 and more than 6 next year.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Fire Chaney, play an inexperienced QB and everything will get better.

Bielema hired Chaney for a reason. The man coaches the offense that Bielema wants to run. Also Bielema is on the headsets. If he doesn't like a play he can overrule it.

Bielema has a long term contract. There's not going to be an "undoing." Not unless they hire you to replace Jeff Long.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2014, 06:27:47 pm
What does Jeff Long have to do with staff changes (which won't happen) in the football program?

Jeff Long hires and fires. If we miss a bowl game then heads have to roll. Chaney gets sacked. The Special Teams coach gets sacked next. Bowl game or bust.

Baller

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2014, 06:37:58 pm
The man coaches the offense that Bielema wants to run. Also Bielema is on the headsets. If he doesn't like a play he can overrule it.

This may be true, but when the offense is on the field, it seems to me I don't see Bret's mouth moving into the headsets very often like you would with a coach with more involvement in the offense.  What I see most of all is silence from Coach B. 

I wonder how, when, and if Coach B would ever overrule Chaney.  My guess is that it probably hasn't happened yet.

Do you think it has happened or does happen, CBB overruling Chaney?

Hoggles

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2014, 06:37:58 pm
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Fire Chaney, play an inexperienced QB and everything will get better.

Bielema hired Chaney for a reason. The man coaches the offense that Bielema wants to run. Also Bielema is on the headsets. If he doesn't like a play he can overrule it.

Bielema has a long term contract. There's not going to be an "undoing." Not unless they hire you to replace Jeff Long.

Bielema hired Ash for presumably the same reasons (namely that he ran the defense he wanted), no?

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 06:51:36 pm
Bielema hired Ash for presumably the same reasons (namely that he ran the defense he wanted), no?

Yes Hoggles and CBB told Chris "Ohio $tate" Ash to hit the road and go to the B1G conference where he belongs....

pigbacon

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 05, 2014, 06:42:54 pm
Jeff Long hires and fires. If we miss a bowl game then heads have to roll. Chaney gets sacked. The Special Teams coach gets sacked next. Bowl game or bust.

Your a year off. At this point right now, CBB has had 1 full recruiting class. Come back at the end of the season next year.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: pigbacon on November 05, 2014, 07:12:11 pm
Your a year off. At this point right now, CBB has had 1 full recruiting class. Come back at the end of the season next year.
Did I say fire CBB? No I didn't! I said fire our ST coach and our OC!

hogblitz

Mike Irwin.   I get so tired of hearing folks state that Bielema is NOT going to be fired whenever because of the buyout of the contract.  This is the SEC.  There is a lot of money coming in and being thrown around. We have some deep pocket boosters.   In the grand scheme of things whatever the money figure is, it's a drop in the bucket.    It's a business and they got bills to pay.  You have another losing year next year and the stands will be empty for the foreseeable future.  Contracts are made to be bought out!  If the right folks want him gone, then he is gone.   It does not matter what Jeff Long or anyone else thinks.  With that being said , I think Bielema will get it done.  I think after the season Chaney will be gone and BA will be replaced.   Chaney is the main issue.  Bielema takes a awful defense with much less talent than the offense a year ago and makes a coaching change and look what happens.    The defense is now much farther ahead in development after not even a full year in the system.  Oh, I forgot it takes 5 years to learn Chaney's play book !  Lol.  Bielema probably knows if changes are not made on offense his days are numbered.   

Mike Irwin

He's never made a play when it counted? Right.  ???

Why not put it this way: He didn't throw a TD pass to beat Auburn, A&M, Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi State.

Guess what? J-Will and/or AC never ran a touchdown to beat Auburn, A&M, Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi State. That's the truth too. Where are the endless threads on them? Thankfully there aren't any because to continue to blame either one of them for the five SEC losses to top 10 teams would be stupid. Just like it's stupid to single out Brandon Allen and blame him for those losses.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 05, 2014, 07:17:50 pm

Why not put it this way: He didn't throw a TD pass to beat Auburn, A&M, Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi State.

Guess what? J-Will and/or AC never ran a touchdown to beat Auburn, A&M, Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi State. That's the truth too. Where are the endless threads on them? Thankfully there aren't any because to continue to blame either one of them for the five SEC losses to top 10 teams would be stupid. Just like it's stupid to single out Brandon Allen and blame him for those losses.

MikeIrwin, Jonathon Williams beat Auburn his freshman year btw

JoeyCapital

You're gonna give yourself a stroke arguing with em.

Gooz frahba, Mike. Gooz Frahba
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Chief Mac

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 05, 2014, 06:42:54 pm

newsflash....don't think Bielema is going to fire Segrest (DL/Special teams coach)
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hoggles

Blaming any of the guys not bringing home checks is stupid. That said, Brandon gets the ball more in the 4th quarter than either Williams or Collins do. I think he has twice as many throw in the 4th quarter than Collins and Williams do runs combined. Plus, Williams and Collins have good 4th quarter stats, whereas BA's are abysmal. That's why you don't see threads about them. Well, that and they are clearly SEC-caliber players.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 05, 2014, 07:24:02 pm
newsflash....don't think Bielema is going to fire Segrest (DL/Special teams coach)

Why do we have our DL coach doing ST also? Our D-Line has been good so just hire another coach for ST.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogblitz on November 05, 2014, 07:17:40 pm
Mike Irwin.   I get so tired of hearing folks state that Bielema is NOT going to be fired whenever because of the buyout of the contract. This is the SEC.  There is a lot of money coming in and being thrown around. We have some deep pocket boosters.   In the grand scheme of things whatever the money figure is, it's a drop in the bucket.    It's a business and they got bills to pay.  You have another losing year next year and the stands will be empty for the foreseeable future.  Contracts are made to be bought out!  If the right folks want him gone, then he is gone.   It does not matter what Jeff Long or anyone else thinks.  With that being said , I think Bielema will get it done.  I think after the season Chaney will be gone and BA will be replaced.   Chaney is the main issue.  Bielema takes a awful defense with much less talent than the offense a year ago and makes a coaching change and look what happens.    The defense is now much farther ahead in development after not even a full year in the system.  Oh, I forgot it takes 5 years to learn Chaney's play book !  Lol.  Bielema probably knows if changes are not made on offense his days are numbered.
Well then stay off this message board because you're going to continue to hear it from me anytime somebody tries to claim it's going to happen.

I have a question for you. Name one Razorback coach that was bought out by a booster?
The Razorback coaches that have been fired in my 40 years of covering this team were fired by Frank Broyles, not a booster.

Guess what? Jeff Long is the current AD and he's not going to fire Bielema and neither the chancellor, the system president or the Board of trustees is going to make him do it because they all support Long.

Contracts do indeed contain buyout clauses but the AD at this school pulls the trigger on that and Long's not going to do it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 05, 2014, 07:26:29 pm
Why do we have our DL coach doing ST also? Our D-Line has been good so just hire another coach for ST.
You can't just go out and add a coach without a current staff member leaving. The NCAA limits each school to 10 on the field coaches.