Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scariest thought regarding QB position.

Started by Arazorbackguy1, November 03, 2014, 02:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

DeltaBoy

Nope We don't have a QB coach worth a Dang. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OrvilleRedenporker

bpoecell

Between Austin and Brandon, probably. If Rafe isn't able to win the job heading into next year I'll start to worry.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

HogWildBison2011

Funnest thought moving forward is that the QB competition next year will be great. Brandon Allen, Austin Allen, Rafe Peavey, and Ty Storey.... We will see how the depth chart forms and I feel like we will have a more than capable QB that is confident in the system.
    We will have improved weapons around him in: Antwine, Collins, Colquitt, Cornelius, Day, Duncan, Edwards, Evans, Hatcher, Hawkins, Henry, Hollister, Jones, Kraus, Marshall, Mcpherson, Mitchell, Morgan, Murad, Robinson, Rossi, Saunders, Slaughter, Sprinkle, Thurman, Voelzke, Walker, Williams (Possibly).
   Thats not including newcomers: Hill, Gragg, O'Grady, Cantrell, Pettway, Williams III, and Stewart. And this recruiting class isn't even done yet! And I feel like we will move forward next season in our OL.

JMO

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 03, 2014, 02:19:20 pm
We're playing the best we have.  Yikes.

No real opinion here, but +1 on your avatar if I could.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BatesvilleHOG

Scariest thought is if Brandon gets hurt. Then we're definitely screwed. He's the best we've got dim wit's that's why he starts on Saturdays.

elviscat

BA, is not SEC QB. He is very average, we will not win with him.

secneahog

Quote from: elviscat on November 03, 2014, 03:09:03 pm
BA, is not SEC QB. He is very average, we will not win with him.

BA isn't the issue. We lose games because we can't kick a field goal or run for that 1 yard gain for a first down or on the goal line.

But keep blaming BA.  Don't watch next year because he will be our starter again.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

downsouthhawg72

Quote from: secneahog on November 03, 2014, 03:26:27 pm
BA isn't the issue. We lose games because we can't kick a field goal or run for that 1 yard gain for a first down or on the goal line.

But keep blaming BA.  Don't watch next year because he will be our starter again.

Maybe we have to kick field goals because he can't get us down to kick extra points.
DownSouthHawg

ricepig

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on November 03, 2014, 03:31:05 pm
Maybe we have to kick field goals because he can't get us down to kick extra points.

So, you only need a QB to make a play work, who knew?

secneahog

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on November 03, 2014, 03:31:05 pm

We missed field goals in the Texas A&M game...Alabama game...Mississippi St game...

A&M passed against Miss st better than us, and LSU late bombs helped them pass for 20 yards more than what BA did vs Miss st in Sec play.

Hog1952

We do not have a winning SEC QB. We need a dual threat QB that doesn't have to throw it in the stands when a play breaks down. Our defense has been playing good enough.

secneahog

Quote from: Hog1952 on November 03, 2014, 03:51:47 pm
We do not have a winning SEC QB. We need a dual threat QB that doesn't have to throw it in the stands when a play breaks down. Our defense has been playing good enough.

Last year it was....stop starring down wrs and forcing throws that results in ints. Just throw it away! 

Now this year it's..we need a dual threat qb that won't throw the ball away.

Lol....

S.A.D.C

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 03, 2014, 02:35:10 pm
Nope We don't have a QB coach worth a Dang.

Best QB guru of all time can't turn Casey Dick into Ryan Mallet.

QB is becoming a huge concern for me.  BA seems like a very good guy so I hate to pile on but he is what he is on the field.  Sounds like maybe Rafe is struggling a little or at least isn't close to ready.  I don't know much about AA.  But it seems like the QB pipeline is a little questionable right now.

bigdaddyhawg

You guys spend so much energy defending Brandon.  He is CERTAINLY part of the problem.

Yes, he's made progress since last year, but it's been very slow.  IMO he's had many, MANY chances to step his game up and he's failed every time.

And I don't want to hear this bologna about him running for his life every throw, that's just not true.  And how much of those pressures are actually on him for not audibilizing out of a play when he sees a blitz coming??  That's his job, you know.

As I said, it's not all on him, maybe even most of it is not on him.  I'm not blaming him for losing.  But he certainly has not played well enough in most of these games for us to win.

If you're still not convinced BA is part of the problem, please be aware you're defending a QB who after almost two full years as starter is only completing 50% of his passes.  Since when did that become "good enough"?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Dominicanhog

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 03, 2014, 03:59:21 pm
Best QB guru of all time can't turn Casey Dick into Ryan Mallet.

QB is becoming a huge concern for me.  BA seems like a very good guy so I hate to pile on but he is what he is on the field.  Sounds like maybe Rafe is struggling a little or at least isn't close to ready.  I don't know much about AA.  But it seems like the QB pipeline is a little questionable right now.

BA is not as good of a QB as Casey... Casey made a few game winning plays, I've yet to see that from BA.

majestic

Trying to throw a pass on 3rd and 1 doesn't help, either. (Bad play calling, not on BA)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Ramtough

The situation for BB is that if he doesn't get to a bowl this year he backs himself into a corner next year and must go bowling to keeo his job in 2015. That may make him want to go with a safe pick at QB like BA. Peavey will still be just a freshman with no sec game experience even if he is the better QB. What's scary is what if BA gets that shoulder banged up next year and Bret can't get to 6 wins?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Ramtough on November 03, 2014, 04:07:16 pm
The situation for BB is that if he doesn't get to a bowl this year he backs himself into a corner next year and must go bowling to keeo his job in 2015. That may make him want to go with a safe pick at QB like BA. Peavey will still be just a freshman with no sec game experience even if he is the better QB. What's scary is what if BA gets that shoulder banged up next year and Bret can't get to 6 wins?

My biggest fear: CBB stays loyal to BA next year (or nobody beats him out, either way) and he shows little to no improvement and we continue to struggle offensively to the point where we have another losing season.

I think that could sink BB.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Ramtough

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 03, 2014, 04:10:53 pm
My biggest fear: CBB stays loyal to BA next year (or nobody beats him out, either way) and he shows little to no improvement and we continue to struggle offensively to the point where we have another losing season.

No doubt BB would be gone if this plays out. No way any coach of a major college team in the sec west can have 3 losing seasons and survive. I'd love to see this Peavey kid take the job and help turn things around.

HoggieStyle

He isn't THE issue. While your observations RE: the kicking game and 1-yard gains are legitimate, BA absolutely is ONE of the issues.

ETA:  If BA really is the best QB on campus, then the future is pretty bleak. Cue the next hander-offer.  :puke:

secneahog

There's enough blame to go around is all I'm saying. The obsession of the roasting of BA is comical.

secneahog

When has Bielema showed loyalty to anyone when it affected the team in a bad way?

Atlhogfan1

Not scary in the least if you look at this beyond the short term and can handle not having instant success. 

With the offense as it currently is, I don't see a freshman or RS freshman beating out QB's who have been in the system longer. 

In August, we will have 4 qb's competing for various levels in the depth chart.  We haven't had the depth we'll see in August at that position in a long time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: secneahog on November 03, 2014, 04:22:20 pm
When has Bielema showed loyalty to anyone when it affected the team in a bad way?

I saw him stick with upper class QB's at UW, when it appeared there were more talented guys sitting on the bench.  There was one kid (sorry, can't recall the name) who couldn't hit the wide side of a barn that he painfully stuck with.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Ramtough on November 03, 2014, 04:17:08 pm
No doubt BB would be gone if this plays out. No way any coach of a major college team in the sec west can have 3 losing seasons and survive. I'd love to see this Peavey kid take the job and help turn things around.

I don't care who it is -- I'd love for Brandon to step his game up to that winning level of play.

But if it's Rafe, or Ty, or even Austin, I have no favorite.  I just want to see better QB play, and that pretty soon!

Atlhogfan1

Bielema actually went to Tolzien during his RS So season over more experienced qb's and he took the starting job as a RS Jr.  Not a great NFL qb of course but is still in the league and was a very good college qb. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

secneahog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 03, 2014, 04:39:50 pm
I saw him stick with upper class QB's at UW, when it appeared there were more talented guys sitting on the bench.  There was one kid (sorry, can't recall the name) who couldn't hit the wide side of a barn that he painfully stuck with.

Nice answer...that one time at Wisconsin ....I can't remember his name....

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheRazorbackGuy

I have been supportive of BA all year but Saturday, he laid a big egg. You need to put a drive together. Not overthrow WRs that get seperation, throw to your check down, not leave the pocket so much. BA is part of the problem, the talent is there but after this long, I'm not sure of the confidence that BA has.

secneahog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 03, 2014, 04:53:30 pm
I have been supportive of BA all year but Saturday, he laid a big egg. You need to put a drive together. Not overthrow WRs that get seperation, throw to your check down, not leave the pocket so much. BA is part of the problem, the talent is there but after this long, I'm not sure of the confidence that BA has.

Wide receiver is the #1 issue.

WashUhog6

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 03, 2014, 02:19:20 pm
We're playing the best we have.  Yikes.
That's pretty upsetting regarding the QB situation if BA goes down this year. It doesn't really mean much in the long term, though, because young QBs usually struggle and develop tremendously if given time. Our young guys aren't doomed to fail just because they aren't quite ready yet.

Qbackinman

B. Allen isn't the issue, correct. But, an offense starts with the Quarterback. Bielema sounds like he's going to ride him through next season, hell or high water. It wouldn't hurt to try something different at this point. Let the freshman start the last three games, with 2 weeks to prepare, and see what happens. (Hey, the Hogs lose? Wow). Open up competition next Spring and if B. Allen or his brother wins the job, so be it. This season is in the dumps. It wouldn't hurt to try something else.

Dirty

Quote from: majestic on November 03, 2014, 04:04:40 pm
Trying to throw a pass on 3rd and 1 doesn't help, either. (Bad play calling, not on BA)

So on that 3 and 1 vs Texas A&M when we hit Derby for a TD you were bitching?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Qbackinman on November 03, 2014, 05:06:58 pm
B. Allen isn't the issue, correct. But, an offense starts with the Quarterback. Bielema sounds like he's going to ride him through next season, hell or high water. It wouldn't hurt to try something different at this point. Let the freshman start the last three games, with 2 weeks to prepare, and see what happens. (Hey, the Hogs lose? Wow). Open up competition next Spring and if B. Allen or his brother wins the job, so be it. This season is in the dumps. It wouldn't hurt to try something else.

Not starting a freshman against a John Chavis defense.  Wouldn't be fair to the backs or line.  WR's will have a tough time anyway in that matchup. 

cosmodrum

We're playing the best of two Allens and Derby. Rafe doesn't factor in this year and Storey won't next year.
Go away, batin'

elksnort

Demaghog

BA has had his chance. We're not winning with him so we should give another QB a shot. Unfortunately that will be "next year" as we're so used to saying as Arkansas fans.

majestic

Quote from: Dirty on November 03, 2014, 05:10:42 pm
So on that 3 and 1 vs Texas A&M when we hit Derby for a TD you were bitching?
I was on a plane at the time, but, yes, I would have been bitching.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

bighogonthewall

It's obvious that BA isn't a SEC QB. He has been in the system 4 years now and is avg at best. Sorry but that's just the truth. Obviously he is the best we have tho. My biggest gripe is why Chaney can't see BA's limitations? He continues to call plays that put BA in a bad spot with the receiving corp we have now.

Chaney should be calling plays BA can handle. 10-15yds to Henry or Derby, short passes or screens to the RB's, are we the only team in the league that doesn't throw to our RB's??? These are plays that BA could handle.

Henry is BA's safety blanket obviously and for good reason. I would bet the farm that BA's confidence and performance go way up when he knows Henry is the primary target. Henry's targets should at least be double what they are. The kid is like a Jason Witten! Why can't Chaney see this??? Feed your stud! Put the ball in your best players hands more. Henry mainly gets called on when it's do or die. 

BA isn't a SEC QB but Chaney isn't helping the kid out any at all. If we had a good QB and recieving corp, I would say Chaney is calling the right plays. Guess what? We don't have either so call In plays the current players are capable of!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: bpoecell on November 03, 2014, 02:44:53 pm
Between Austin and Brandon, probably. If Rafe isn't able to win the job heading into next year I'll start to worry.

He won't. No way a Redshirt Freshmen beats out a 5th year senior. Maybe he beats out Austin Allen the year after when they are looking for a new 1st year starter. Then it will be Peavey, Allen and Storey all competing for the job. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Qbackinman on November 03, 2014, 05:06:58 pm

Why? we are 4-5 with the hardest part of our schedule behind us. We have played two Top 5 teams to the wire. We need 2 wins to get bowl eligible. Why throw the season and burn a redshirt. The players still have something to play for.

rude1

Quote from: secneahog on November 03, 2014, 04:56:57 pm
Wide receiver is the #1 issue.
You want the receivers to throw it to themselves? Just curious because you are quick to dump on the WRs to cover for BA inability to make plays in the passing game. Everyone who has paid attention have seen receivers get open only to see the throw come late and have the db recover to break it up or watch as the throw is in the turf 10 yds in front of him or fly over his head. Sorry this is the SEC, if you are waiting to get receivers that can give BA a big enough window to fit those late throws in, you will wait a long time.

Chief Mac

Quote from: elksnort on November 03, 2014, 05:16:57 pm
It's not the solution either.

True but it's shortsighted to put it all on BA when we are woefully inadequate at WR
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

tophawg19

A lot of why we can't get those 1 yard plays is BA can't throw deep. No D/C worries about covering the deep part of the field  against us . they can cover in man because he is going to under throw on deep routes . That lets them stack the LOS . 
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 03, 2014, 07:21:30 pm
A lot of why we can't get those 1 yard plays is BA can't throw deep. No D/C worries about covering the deep part of the field  against us . they can cover in man because he is going to under throw on deep routes . That lets them stack the LOS . 

It isn't that he can't throw the ball, it is that we don't have a deep threat that can gain seperation.
Go Hogs Go!

OLDHOG

BA lacks confidence. That is obvious. That's not a good thing for a quarterback.

tophawg19

Quote from: rude1 on November 03, 2014, 06:44:30 pm
You want the receivers to throw it to themselves? Just curious because you are quick to dump on the WRs to cover for BA inability to make plays in the passing game. Everyone who has paid attention have seen receivers get open only to see the throw come late and have the db recover to break it up or watch as the throw is in the turf 10 yds in front of him or fly over his head. Sorry this is the SEC, if you are waiting to get receivers that can give BA a big enough window to fit those late throws in, you will wait a long time.
i agree with this . he has to learn to throw the deep stuff with enough air under it and on time . he Under throws and gives the DB's time to recover . The WR's are getting open but he isn't hitting them in stride . he is throwing late and behind to often. Also when he gets excited the mid range stuff tends to sail on him,
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 03, 2014, 07:44:28 pm
i agree with this . he has to learn to throw the deep stuff with enough air under it and on time . he Under throws and gives the DB's time to recover . The WR's are getting open but he isn't hitting them in stride . he is throwing late and behind to often. Also when he gets excited the mid range stuff tends to sail on him,

TopHog, I saw WRs get seperation on Miss State. One play two WRs were open and he threw between both of them.