Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Glaring weakness

Started by regi, November 02, 2014, 06:16:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodyHog

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 03, 2014, 11:21:18 am
He made a great play in catching Collins. Perfect example of why you never quit on a play.  You guys will never be satisfied.

Alex doesn't have elite speed.  Just based on the eye test, I would say it is in the 4.6-4.7 range.  It will be interesting to see what he puts up at the combine.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WoodyHog on November 03, 2014, 12:06:26 pm
Alex doesn't have elite speed.  Just based on the eye test, I would say it is in the 4.6-4.7 range.  It will be interesting to see what he puts up at the combine.

Alex reminds me of Ray Rice - on the field.  He is a little taller but still that between the tackles runner who can make yardage and cuts in tight space but doesn't have top end speed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

soccerrunner

Quote from: WoodyHog on November 03, 2014, 11:04:34 am
WR is a glaring weakness on this team.  Watching TCU and Baylor, it seems like almost 50% of their plays are just go routes where they put it on the WR to make a play.  I'm not saying we do anything like that, but the only two receivers we have that I have confidence in to go get the ball or get separation are Henry and AJ Derby.  Without safeties having to respect us over the top, they get squeezed. The current problem with our receivers is that they are not particularly shifty, fast or physical.  I think you need to be one of the three, or else you are just a possession receiver.  The good thing about this position is that it is not like a unit (e.g. D-Line, LB or O-Line) -- one guy can make all the difference.  Hopefully we are able to find that guy.

Consider the defenses TCU and Baylor get to play.  Particularly Baylor who, in addtion to the notoriously weak B12's, they manage to find out of conference games with schools they get off of a milk carton.  Any of those matchups would make Arkansas' receivers look All Pro.

WoodyHog

Quote from: soccerrunner on November 03, 2014, 12:26:17 pm
Consider the defenses TCU and Baylor get to play.  Particularly Baylor who, in addtion to the notoriously weak B12's, they manage to find out of conference games with schools they get off of a milk carton.  Any of those matchups would make Arkansas' receivers look All Pro.

Won't argue that they have played much weaker defenses than we have, but I don't know if that accounts for all of the differences.  Anyways, I was just trying to make the point that a good WR, or a WR/CB mismatch can really stretch the field and open up everything else for your offense.  We have not really had that in SEC play, whereas some of the other SEC elite have those matchup nightmares, and we have had them in the past (e.g.,  Anthony Lucas and Marcus Monk)

hogsanity

Quote from: WoodyHog on November 03, 2014, 02:42:18 pm
Won't argue that they have played much weaker defenses than we have, but I don't know if that accounts for all of the differences.  Anyways, I was just trying to make the point that a good WR, or a WR/CB mismatch can really stretch the field and open up everything else for your offense.  We have not really had that in SEC play, whereas some of the other SEC elite have those matchup nightmares, and we have had them in the past (e.g.,  Anthony Lucas and Marcus Monk)

If you want to know what one or two deep threats can do, just ask Jarius Wright. Wright is a very good player ( his still being in the NFl is proof of that ), and he would go across the middle, with all the risks of doing that.  He also got matched up on safeties, and even a LB every now and then, because of what the Hogs had on the outside in Adams, Childs, and Hamilton.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

November 03, 2014, 04:06:36 pm #55 Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:32:13 am by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 06:44:00 pm
Team speed is a weakness.  The defensive side lacks it too in the back 7. 

Absolutely.  It's part of where improved recruiting comes in.  Better players make better plays.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

lasthog

[/quote

AC 40 time: Low 4.42; High 4.64.  Rated 4.52 by NFL Draft Scout (.com).

Not elite speed I agree, but faster than Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice.

But you only proffered that he lacked elite speed, not commenting on his overall quality as a RB, so no argument from me.

hawg IQ

Quote from: lasthog on November 03, 2014, 11:44:34 pm
[/quote

AC 40 time: Low 4.42; High 4.64.  Rated 4.52 by NFL Draft Scout (.com).

Not elite speed I agree, but faster than Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice.

But you only proffered that he lacked elite speed, not commenting on his overall quality as a RB, so no argument from me.

Those that say he looks slower I believe are correct.  That's not all either, he isn't hitting the holes quick enough. He has developed a little dancing in place like he's looking for a hole in stead of just slashing through one.

Is it coaching or is he hurt or maybe become just a bit gun shy, I don't know.

I do know Miss state made all of our RBs look bad last Saturday. The most glaring was the down run late down around the M-State goal line. In my opinion we lost the game right there, we had a first down at like the 3 yard line.

Those kinds of things need to be corrected by coaching, we just got outplayed there and it cost us the game.

go hogs go !

Hoggish1

That's always been true of AC.  Receiver help is on the way.  We're stuck with BA for one more year, but he will be better with upgrades in the receiver corp and a matured OL. 

It's always a plus to have a senior leading the team.

The biggest improvement will be with the defense!

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 04, 2014, 08:19:10 am
That's always been true of AC.  Receiver help is on the way.  We're stuck with BA for one more year, but he will be better with upgrades in the receiver corp and a matured OL. 

The biggest improvement will be with the defense!

The biggest improvement needs to be with the receivers. All the D really needs is consistent safety play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

While this is probably true MOST of the time, it certainly is not 'always' a plus.

Sometimes the senior is simply not good enough and a better underclassman comes along that should start over him.

Ideally, for us specifically, we want Brandon to make significant progression to the point where next year he uses his experience and his talents to lead us to an outstanding year.  I'm hoping that happens.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WoodyHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 04, 2014, 08:37:07 am
While this is probably true MOST of the time, it certainly is not 'always' a plus.

Sometimes the senior is simply not good enough and a better underclassman comes along that should start over him.

Ideally, for us specifically, we want Brandon to make significant progression to the point where next year he uses his experience and his talents to lead us to an outstanding year.  I'm hoping that happens.

I have been down on Brandon at times (more so during and after last year), but I think he has had a pretty good year.  I certainly wouldn't say that he has lost us games.  He has made a lot of really good throws, and he just needs to improve his consistency a bit and get a little help with the play calling to mix in some easier throws (he is asked to make a lot of difficult throws to guys with very little separation).  I think we can be very good next year with him at QB and will be much more worried about the state of this team if he is not starting.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2014, 10:19:42 am
Reading this thread one quickly learns that we have no quailty SEC players on the team regardless of who recruited them.

And, I bet not one Long/CBB worshipper would admit on threat of death that Petrino's scheme and player development of the QB and WR positions would make this very same crew a whe lot better.  Good enough to win 8/9 games this very year.

We don't need to change scheme because we have the coaches we have but CBB has got to figure out how to win in the SEC with it or it will be goodbye in two or three years.

My first biggest fear is that he won't do that, my second is that the fan who have invested their Intergrity on him and Long will fight tooth and nail to keep him even if he never gets above 500 in the SEC.

Afteral seven win was good enought for many during the NUTT years.

I am not looking forward to that time again. 😁

That isn't what the thread is about or posts in it have [CENSORED] said. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Smokehouse

Quote from: Hoggles on November 02, 2014, 08:19:39 pm
If our offensive line can't move SEC defenses consistently, then what offensive lines can? It worked for LSU against Ole Miss and Florida against Georgia in the last few weeks.

If we only threw six passes in a game I think there's a portion of our fan base who would be apoplectic regardless of the outcome.

The thing to remember here is that MSU and Bama both have solid run defenses but holes in the secondary. Against UGA we were obviously in a hole early. Circumstances warranted leaning on the pass, which we unfortunately don't have the playmakers for at the moment. Hogs did a great job in all three games, considering.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2014, 10:19:42 am

And, I bet not one Long/CBB worshipper would admit on threat of death that Petrino's scheme and player development of the QB and WR positions would make this very same crew a whe lot better.  Good enough to win 8/9 games this very year.

I'm so tired of hearing this kind of argument.

There is no way for anyone to know what Petrino would do with these same recruits. Maybe they improve under Petrino, maybe they don't and we also don't land Collins or the o-line recruits we have and we're not even competitive this season.

It's just all speculation, yet posters speculate, accept their speculation as fact, then get angrier about what's happening because they're positive it would be better the other way. It's just fantasy.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

jonbo

We're stuck with BA for one more year, but he will be better with upgrades in the receiver corp and a matured OL. 

I have to disagree. I understand that Allen is the best option if we want to have the best chance in our remaining games, probably for the rest of the year. But I'm very disturbed about the assertions I keep reading and hearing that he's probably our QB next season. Over the course of this season I've come to the conclusion that Allen doesn't have the elusive "IT" quality. That quality is the ability to handle pressure. Few have it the way a QB must. (I, for example, don't. I could never do mentally what a QB has to. I think too slowly.)  IMO, it is the number one quality that all good QB's have.

On at least 2 critical drives this season that could have made the difference between winning and losing an SEC game, it's been BA whose blown it, and he's blown it. It wasn't just that a play didn't work out. Also, quite often, as many have pointed out, when he probably could have taken off for a first down, at least come close, instead he's chosen to throw it away. These are examples of poor decision making while under heavy pressure. I've suffered years of following football with QB's that were talented, had great arms and what not, but didn't have what I'm calling "IT". I'm pretty sure I recognize that lack in Allen. He's not unflappable enough, cool headed enough while being pressured, and therefore, IMO, is unlikely to ever make a very good QB.

Please don't say he's going to be QB next season. I'd much rather see an open competition at the position, even extending INTO the season, with the redshirt freshman given a real shot. I don't think the staff needs to worry anymore about protecting Allen emotionally. Even without knowing the playbook the way BA does, Peavy might be able to bring more to the table if he plays with more confidence than Allen does.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 04, 2014, 11:09:23 am
I'm so tired of hearing this kind of argument.

There is no way for anyone to know what Petrino would do with these same recruits. Maybe they improve under Petrino, maybe they don't and we also don't land Collins or the o-line recruits we have and we're not even competitive this season.

It's just all speculation, yet posters speculate, accept their speculation as fact, then get angrier about what's happening because they're positive it would be better the other way. It's just fantasy.

I think some of it may be a little more than speculation.  I mean we do have a recent history to look at.

I don't think there's any question, in his system, with his playcalling, our offense would be more productive, perhaps even much more productive.

And I don't think there's any question, in his system, our defense would not be producing to the level is has this year.

As a result, this team would still be struggling for wins, but fans would be screaming for the DC to get fired instead of the OC.

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 04, 2014, 12:18:37 pm
I think some of it may be a little more than speculation.  I mean we do have a recent history to look at.

I don't think there's any question, in his system, with his playcalling, our offense would be more productive, perhaps even much more productive.

And I don't think there's any question, in his system, our defense would not be producing to the level is has this year.

As a result, this team would still be struggling for wins, but fans would be screaming for the DC to get fired instead of the OC.

EXACTLY. The D has played much better. Better at tackling one on one in space, better at pass breakups, better at stopping the run. They have also benefitted greatly from the Hogs offense, even in non-scoring drives, eating up a lot of the clock. If this D was on the field 10 more minutes per game, how many more big plays would they give up? How worn down would they be late in the 4th Q?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2014, 08:49:13 am
I think it is more of the right qb at the right time. Like having RM and TW here at the same time as the best group of receivers ever produced in state all hit at just about the same time. Prescott is the perfect QB for THIS PARTICULAR group of players at MSU. Manziel was the perfect QB for the offense A&M had tha lst two years. Great OL, two big fast receivers that made JM look a little better with his arm than he really was. If MSu can't find another 230+lb Qb that can run and handle 20+ carries a game they will have trouble coming anywhere close to this level of success in the coming seasons.

I still don't think our fans get it.  I'll refer to ONE play in that game, but it's a microcosm of the issues we face.  On that final interception, the ball was under-thrown.  Not badly...slightly.  People have made it out to be the worst throw in the history of CFB.  Not even close. 

If our fans are being honest with themselves, they would recognize that that EXACT THROW made by Johnny Manziel to Mike Evans would have been a TD.  Period.  You won't convince me otherwise.  Evans would have nudged into the DB just enough to prevent him from even getting a leap at that ball, and he would have just snatched it out of the air.  For whatever reason, Wilson played it like it was supposed to come right to him perfectly, and made little to no effort to catch that ball.  Now...I don't know why, but it doesn't matter.  There's NO WAY that ball should have been intercepted...just a slight punch on the ball or grab of an arm when it arrived would have prevented it from being intercepted. 

Yet...to read this board, you would think we've got NFL talent out there running through the secondary.  For the most part, BA looks out there and sees no separation.  My argument is...if that's the case, then let's at least try to get the ball to the play makers in critical times.  HH was playing his guts out, and as a coach...I would have had HIM running the corner route not just then, but also earlier in the game when we failed to get it into the EZ from the 3 following two pitch plays to RB's that do NOT have the speed to make the corner against SEC talent.

As I've said...we need more talent across the board, and our coaches need to do a better job of finding ways to take advantage of the talent that we do possess.  It's as if they draw up plays HOPING that they'll work with who we have, but the historical evidence shows otherwise.

That's where my latest fears arise.  If BB is going to continue to suggest that we don't have the depth and talent yet, then he might be in for a rude awakening if he expects us to line up "star wise" with the other top SEC teams.  If he's waiting for that day...it ain't comin'.  That's why I think a new OC is imperative, and we have to get more creative.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2014, 12:28:36 pm
EXACTLY. The D has played much better. Better at tackling one on one in space, better at pass breakups, better at stopping the run. They have also benefitted greatly from the Hogs offense, even in non-scoring drives, eating up a lot of the clock. If this D was on the field 10 more minutes per game, how many more big plays would they give up? How worn down would they be late in the 4th Q?

There you go.  The defense has improved dramatically, but at least a part of that is because the opposition simply doesn't have as many snaps per game to take advantage of our weaknesses...primarily the back 7. 

However, at some point...we have to concede that we're not going to win many games scoring less than 17 pts.  We managed 13 against Bama, and 10 against MSU.  I'm fully on board with the physical style, and commitment to the running game.  It won't matter if BB can't attract some better WR's, because our passing game will never allow the running game to reach its potential when our best weapon at WR is splitting HH out there.   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 04, 2014, 01:05:01 pm
I still don't think our fans get it. 

That's where my latest fears arise.  If BB is going to continue to suggest that we don't have the depth and talent yet, then he might be in for a rude awakening if he expects us to line up "star wise" with the other top SEC teams.  If he's waiting for that day...it ain't comin'.  That's why I think a new OC is imperative, and we have to get more creative.

It is why BB has recruited guys like Jo Jo Robinson, Pettway, Gragg, and KJ Hill. That is his version of Adams, Childs, Gragg, and Wright.

Get the ball to the play makers by being more creative? Who are the play makers you speak of? You have to have playmakers to get the ball to. They have run a lot of creative plays. As one example the TD called back against A&M to HH, who did not have a A&M defender within 40 yards was set up in the 1st few games with the end arounds to KH. The problem is, when your main home run threat in the receiving dept is your TE, you have a huge problem.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 04, 2014, 01:10:53 pm
There you go.  The defense has improved dramatically, but at least a part of that is because the opposition simply doesn't have as many snaps per game to take advantage of our weaknesses...primarily the back 7. 

However, at some point...we have to concede that we're not going to win many games scoring less than 17 pts.  We managed 13 against Bama, and 10 against MSU.  I'm fully on board with the physical style, and commitment to the running game.  It won't matter if BB can't attract some better WR's, because our passing game will never allow the running game to reach its potential when our best weapon at WR is splitting HH out there.   :(

No doubt, at some point they have to figure out how to have more points than the opponent when the game is over.

Any play action offense, any offense at all for that matter, has to have a player that can make the defense pay for playing man coverage on the outside.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
It is why BB has recruited guys like Jo Jo Robinson, Pettway, Gragg, and KJ Hill. That is his version of Adams, Childs, Gragg, and Wright.

Get the ball to the play makers by being more creative? Who are the play makers you speak of? You have to have playmakers to get the ball to. They have run a lot of creative plays. As one example the TD called back against A&M to HH, who did not have a A&M defender within 40 yards was set up in the 1st few games with the end arounds to KH. The problem is, when your main home run threat in the receiving dept is your TE, you have a huge problem.

I concede that we don't have weapons.  I'm speaking more of ways to use misdirection, and find ways to make the running game more effective, and getting the ball to the backs in the flats, and doing little thing that should help prevent what we see every week...8-9 in the box, and them daring us to throw. 

Let's be honest...what's a bigger threat for our team?  Having Korliss Marshall running across the formation at least threatening a "jet sweep" or whatever the name of the week is for that play, or having another WR on the field?

I know he's suspended and was/is unavailable, but that's just an example of what I think they could to better maximize our personnel.  Another...FORGET what we're doing inside the 10.  Run HH on a corner route and throw it up to him and let him make a play on the ball.  I'd rather take my chances with that than two toss sweeps to RB's that are slower than the oppositions LB's. 

What I'm getting at is what I've said all along.  These losses are a culmination of a lot of different issues working together to keep us from getting over the hump.  The finger can't be pointed at the players, staff, or anyone in particular.  We've had multiple STUPID untimely penalties by multiple players. 

The ENTIRE ship needs to be righted to turn these close losses into wins.  BUT....the number one thing is just what you outlined.  Recruit more difference makers on both sides of the ball.  In the mean time...our team is good enough to sneak up on some people, but not by making the same mistakes, and IMO, the coaches not finding ways to highlight the few threats that we do possess.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2014, 01:22:59 pm
The throw was that bad.

We don't have a Mike Evans.  Not that Evans is a speed receiver but this is essentially what the thread is about. 

Your last paragraph doesn't make much sense.  Not having depth and talent yet doesn't suggest he expects to line up "star wise".

It makes perfect sense.  At some point... you have to find ways to work with the players you have.  If he's waiting until we're talent laden to "uncork" his strategy, then good luck with that. 

The thread may be about speed, but that throw had nothing to do with speed.  NO WAY a WR should have ever allowed that ball to be intercepted.  We can argue all day on that subject, but you HAVE to make a play on the ball....they aren't all thrown perfectly. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2014, 01:18:16 pm
No doubt, at some point they have to figure out how to have more points than the opponent when the game is over.

Any play action offense, any offense at all for that matter, has to have a player that can make the defense pay for playing man coverage on the outside.

Watching HH fight off the DB, and get a step on a simple inside slant just highlights the issues we're facing.  I agree 100%.  If we had just one exceptional WR, I truly believe it would make us look like a different team.  They could pop quick slants, button hooks, and simple routes to set up the plays over the top.  The issue is...after about 10 yards, we don't have any one that can maintain any separation. 

We'll see in the coming years if having that addition will get us over the edge.  Things are progressing well...much better than I thought they would after last year.  I'm still in the boat for replacing Chaney.  If that's not going to happen...then we need a dedicated QB coach.     

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 04, 2014, 01:27:33 pm
It makes perfect sense.  At some point... you have to find ways to work with the players you have.  If he's waiting until we're talent laden to "uncork" his strategy, then good luck with that. 

The thread may be about speed, but that throw had nothing to do with speed.  NO WAY a WR should have ever allowed that ball to be intercepted.  We can argue all day on that subject, but you HAVE to make a play on the ball....they aren't all thrown perfectly.

It was so underthrown and by the time Wilson realized, there was little he could do partially because of how badly he had the DB beaten.  BA didn't come close to giving him a chance to come back and high point the throw or even interfere with the interception. 

I don't think the staff is waiting to uncork.  They are unable to uncork.  I'm seeing them try a lot of things during games to try and produce big plays.  The one thing I do question and did so before the season is the use of Marshall.  With JoJo redshirting, this is the staff's chance to use a dynamic player on offense. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2014, 01:55:35 pm
It was so underthrown and by the time Wilson realized, there was little he could do partially because of how badly he had the DB beaten.  BA didn't come close to giving him a chance to come back and high point the throw or even interfere with the interception. 

I don't think the staff is waiting to uncork.  They are unable to uncork.  I'm seeing them try a lot of things during games to try and produce big plays.  The one thing I do question and did so before the season is the use of Marshall.  With JoJo redshirting, this is the staff's chance to use a dynamic player on offense.

He had a chance man...watch the replay.  All he had to do was extend his arms forward...nothing dramatic.  Again...not worth arguing about, and it's cool if we disagree. 

We have a lack of weapons...no argument.  They've tried some things, and sometimes they worked, and sometimes they didn't.  We're at a point now where most of the tricks we've used are tapped out, and the opposition knows what's coming when they see certain personnel in the game.

Again...there's plenty of blame to go around.  We have to play near perfect to win, and we're not doing that.  I think that's what is so frustrating as a fan.  We can see that minus a few blown coverages, stupid momentum killing penalties, and maybe some better situational play calling...we could have won a few of these games. 

On Friday night I was listening to JT the Brick and Looney's show.  They were running down all the CFB matchups, and when the got to Arkansas and MSU...JT just said, "Blow out alert...MSU will destroy Arkansas" and just kept on going down the list like we were an afterthought.  I want NOTHING more than to just run over people next year and prove that the building process is complete.  But...even a very good team can lose games with stupid penalties and untimely mental lapses, and at some point...that has to stop.     

aar0n

Ya'll realize that EVERY team has weaknesses right?  We just held the #1 team in the nation and the eventual heisman winner to 17 total points in THEIR HOUSE, and were under 20 yards away from taking them to over time.  Reading this board you would think we just had back to back 52-0 games again.  We are getting much much better on both sides of the ball, it's only a matter of time before it all comes together and we destroy somebody.  It seems like everyone in the country realizes it aside from a few on this board.

aar0n

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 04, 2014, 02:14:06 pm
Wrong Answer Aar0n! Hogs have had no serious injuries and have won zero SEC games! How many healthy teams lose all their conference games?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How many teams have had to rebuild from the ground up in the toughest division in all of NCAA football, possibly EVER?  We're a top 2 team in almost any other division right now, including the SEC East.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on November 02, 2014, 06:37:18 pm
Been saying this since spring practice. These sec defenses jam at the line knowing tge hogs have no one that can beat them deep.

They aren't jamming the line. They are giving a bigger cushion than they would another SEC offense.

Until last game, we showed no desire to throw any kind of quick outs. We throw very few timing routes. In short, there is little reason for any of our opponents to jam us off the line.

When you allow the D to play off you without making them pay, you are not going to get open down the field for sure.

Worse the defender can sit on the routes and jump the passing lanes.

This offense is not a good one for receivers or qb's.

Why do you think our db's gave a big cushion most of last year? It was to protect against the deep ball.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2014, 10:38:52 am
That isn't what the thread is about or posts in it have [CENSORED] said.

Bull crap, that is what every single one says its just that if they say it about the coach they don't like it's not really saying it. 

CBB will never have more team speed than CPB on a team.  Want to come back and comPare team speed on the Razorbacks vs Louisville in two three years? 

CBB will recruit the kind of team he thinks he can win with but it will not be based on great team speed.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Cletus on November 02, 2014, 06:27:41 pm

Mmmmm, the guy that ran him down supposedly runs a 4.35. I can possibly agree about the WR's, but they are not being hit in stride, or being thrown open.

...."Thrown open".....is often turned into..... "shouldn't have tried to throw to a covered receiver"
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 04, 2014, 02:38:23 pm
They aren't jamming the line. They are giving a bigger cushion than they would another SEC offense.

Until last game, we showed no desire to throw any kind of quick outs. We throw very few timing routes. In short, there is little reason for any of our opponents to jam us off the line.

When you allow the D to play off you without making them pay, you are not going to get open down the field for sure.

Worse the defender can sit on the routes and jump the passing lanes.

Why do you think our db's gave a big cushion most of last year? It was to protect against  the deep ball.

Good points that often seem to go unnoticed by many.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 04, 2014, 02:38:23 pm

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 05, 2014, 06:32:21 pm
Good points that often seem to go unnoticed by many.

Not really.

For the most part we are running a standard "pro-style" offense.  There are many NFL teams running the same offense we are running, i.e. Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle, just to mention a few.

New England runs a ton of the same two and three TE formations we run, and that has been pretty good to Mr. Brady.

And there have been many, many QB' and WR's over the years that have enjoyed Hall of Fame careers in this very offense, i.e. Michael Irvin, Chris Carter, Troy Aikman, Bob Greise, Paul Warfield, and on and on and on.

WoodyHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2014, 09:52:41 am
Not really.

For the most part we are running a standard "pro-style" offense.  There are many NFL teams running the same offense we are running, i.e. Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle, just to mention a few.

New England runs a ton of the same two and three TE formations we run, and that has been pretty good to Mr. Brady.

And there have been many, many QB' and WR's over the years that have enjoyed Hall of Fame careers in this very offense, i.e. Michael Irvin, Chris Carter, Troy Aikman, Bob Greise, Paul Warfield, and on and on and on.

I think the point he was making is valid -- namely that we don't throw quick passes out to our WR very often, even when the DBs are giving them a ton of cushion.  We look for the deeper routes, and the point was, it is more difficult to complete those deeper passes unless you force the issue with the short passes that are available.  Against MS St., we threw it out to Keon quickly a few times and allowed him to pick up what he could -- not huge gains, but positive yards and I think we have to take that when the defense gives it to us.  Part of the reason we don't do it that much is that we run a lot of bunch formation tight to the O-line, where it won't work regardless of how deep the DBs are playing because the LBs can cover.  The receivers have to be split out wide so they have more space to work in. 

Mike_e

Man, it's hard to speak intelligently without any real information.

Since I don't have any I'm not.

If you have a shallow well you can't go to it very often.  You only go there when you're really thirsty.  Running plays that work is all well and good until you hit the 4th quarter and the other team's defense says 'OK, we got this' and we've seen how that turns out.  Running plays that don't work so well has to happen in order to keep the other guys where you want them so that when you are thirsty there will be water in the well.

I've watched every game so far and as far as poor simple me can tell we are still putting in plays.  After a year and two thirds.  And as far as poor simple me can tell the ones we've been using could have won us every game, except the first one, if we had just executed them as designed.

It takes kids a while to learn -some never do but that's OK too if they're your kids.

I for one am just going to relax and enjoy watching grow.

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WoodyHog on November 06, 2014, 10:35:15 am
I think the point he was making is valid -- namely that we don't throw quick passes out to our WR very often, even when the DBs are giving them a ton of cushion.  We look for the deeper routes, and the point was, it is more difficult to complete those deeper passes unless you force the issue with the short passes that are available.  Against MS St., we threw it out to Keon quickly a few times and allowed him to pick up what he could -- not huge gains, but positive yards and I think we have to take that when the defense gives it to us.  Part of the reason we don't do it that much is that we run a lot of bunch formation tight to the O-line, where it won't work regardless of how deep the DBs are playing because the LBs can cover.  The receivers have to be split out wide so they have more space to work in. 

The complexities of running a CFB offense can't be simplified into the limited perspective you and he are coming from.

There's no doubt there's a bunch of things this offense needs to be doing that it's not doing, or at least not doing well.  But IMO a certain amount of that should be expected when changing the type of offense and it's in its' second year of that change.

It's been pointed out ad nauseam we need to improve the talent level in our WR corp.  We need to add quality depth in our OL.  We need more explosive plays from our skilled players.  Our QB needs to improve the level of his play.  And I think it's fair to say that Chaney and CBB are still working through their synergy.

The answer is not so simple.  And IMO it's just one of those things that will take more time -- time in recruiting, time in our players growing up in the offense, etc..

But you guys are right about one thing: we don't run the mickey mouse bs that 'everyone' is running right now.  And I believe, in time, that will prove to be a good thing.

Kevin

Outside of Henry, Williams, & Collins. We need better skilled players.
I do think over time Cornelius & Edwards are going to be good ones
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 04, 2014, 01:05:01 pm
I still don't think our fans get it.  I'll refer to ONE play in that game, but it's a microcosm of the issues we face.  On that final interception, the ball was under-thrown.  Not badly...slightly.  People have made it out to be the worst throw in the history of CFB.  Not even close. 

If our fans are being honest with themselves, they would recognize that that EXACT THROW made by Johnny Manziel to Mike Evans would have been a TD.  Period.  You won't convince me otherwise.  Evans would have nudged into the DB just enough to prevent him from even getting a leap at that ball, and he would have just snatched it out of the air.  For whatever reason, Wilson played it like it was supposed to come right to him perfectly, and made little to no effort to catch that ball.  Now...I don't know why, but it doesn't matter.  There's NO WAY that ball should have been intercepted...just a slight punch on the ball or grab of an arm when it arrived would have prevented it from being intercepted. 

Yet...to read this board, you would think we've got NFL talent out there running through the secondary.  For the most part, BA looks out there and sees no separation.  My argument is...if that's the case, then let's at least try to get the ball to the play makers in critical times.  HH was playing his guts out, and as a coach...I would have had HIM running the corner route not just then, but also earlier in the game when we failed to get it into the EZ from the 3 following two pitch plays to RB's that do NOT have the speed to make the corner against SEC talent.

As I've said...we need more talent across the board, and our coaches need to do a better job of finding ways to take advantage of the talent that we do possess.  It's as if they draw up plays HOPING that they'll work with who we have, but the historical evidence shows otherwise.

The ball was underthrown. To say that Evans could have made that catch is pure speculation. I agree that if a receiver can't make a contested catch he has to turn into his alter-ego, a DB, and try as hard as he can to make sure it isn't an INT.

As far as BA trying to get the ball to playmakers in critical situations, I've seen many times that BA has tried to force the ball into folks like Henry or Hatcher when they were either bracketed in coverage or had a DB draped all over them. So it isn't like he hasn't been doing this, he has and in fact his comfort zone seems to be with those two receivers. He has thrown almost twice as many balls to each of those two as he has to any other receiver.

It isn't just Bielema's belief, it is pure fact that we don't have all of the talent and particularly, depth of talent at some key positions, to execute our offensive and defensive schemes to the point that we can be consistently successful. But with this year of experience for this team and one more recruiting class, much of that should be resolved for the most part.

Finally, I think that this staff is coaching their arses off. You do realize that we are a grand total of 15 points spread across 3 games of being 7-2 right now, right? If we were sitting at 7-2 right now would everyones opinions on this board be slightly different? Of course they would. Everyone would be praising this staff for having done a tremendous job in just year two of the rebuild and talking about how we were going to sweep the last three games.

We are close, very close. We just need to snag a win in the SEC for the confidence of this team.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig In The City

I believe speed is a factor but I don't believe that is what is holding us back.  Imo, what is causing us to fold like a card table in the 4th is quality depth on the OL  and DL lines.  We are playing seriously competitive football in year two of a coaching change.  Hog futures are going UP!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 08, 2014, 07:17:26 am
I believe speed is a factor but I don't believe that is what is holding us back.  Imo, what is causing us to fold like a card table in the 4th is quality depth on the OL  and DL lines.  We are playing seriously competitive football in year two of a coaching change.  Hog futures are going UP!

I think that lack of speed and skill (and depth) at certain key positions certainly contributes, but mental errors, poor execution and T/O's at key moments probably contribute to a greater degree to us not having already become bowl eligible.
Go Hogs Go!