Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Glaring weakness

Started by regi, November 02, 2014, 06:16:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

regi

After seeing the Hogs up close last night for the first time this season, the glaring weakness of this team, esp..without Marshall, is offensive skill speed. B Allen misses some open guys, but for the most part, our receivers, are covered up. When AC broke into the open late in the 3rd, you got to house that, he just doesn't have the open field speed for this league, very good RB, but just doesn't have that gear, that other UA greats have had, CBB will get it done, I believe. We are as GOOD as STATE on both LOS, but they had more perimeter speed.

On a side note. Bama beats the breaks of STATE in 2 weeks, they are a very beatable #1. Without #15, this would be a typical 7-5, 8-4 Mullen team.

Danny J

No doubt and I mentioned the same thing earlier today in one of the other threads. I am not sure who we could have played last night that would fit that bill. The two that come to mind are being redshirted or currently suspended.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: regi on November 02, 2014, 06:16:13 pm
After seeing the Hogs up close last night for the first time this season, the glaring weakness of this team, esp..without Marshall, is offensive skill speed. B Allen misses some open guys, but for the most part, our receivers, are covered up. When AC broke into the open late in the 3rd, you got to house that, he just doesn't have the open field speed for this league, very good RB, but just doesn't have that gear, other UA greats have had, CBB will get it done, I believe. We are as GOOD as STATE on both LOS, but they had more perimeter speed.

On a side note. Bama beats the breaks of STATE in 2 weeks, they are a very beatable #1. Without #15, this would be a typical 7-5, 8-4 Mullen team.

It is a handicap.  We do not have the ability to score on big plays.  MSU does.  AU does.  That is a reason they were winners last night.  Recruiting and player development is the way to solve it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

regi

Quote from: Danny J on November 02, 2014, 06:18:11 pm
No doubt and I mentioned the same thing earlier today in one of the other threads. I am not sure who we could have played last night that would fit that bill. The two that come to mind are being redshirted or currently suspended.

I agree Korliss and JoJo may be the only two we have right now. Though Cornelius has a some skill as well. If KJ puts in the work this Spring and Summer, he starts day 1.

TMc

You guys are right.., we have no big strike capability unless we get lucky on a breakout running play.  We need speed on both sides of the ball.

Cletus

After seeing the Hogs up close last night for the first time this season, the glaring weakness of this team, esp..without Marshall, is offensive skill speed. B Allen misses some open guys, but for the most part, our receivers, are covered up. When AC broke into the open late in the 3rd, you got to house that, he just doesn't have the open field speed for this league, very good RB, but just doesn't have that gear, that other UA greats have had, CBB will get it done, I believe. We are as GOOD as STATE on both LOS, but they had more perimeter speed.

Mmmmm, the guy that ran him down supposedly runs a 4.35. I can possibly agree about the WR's, but they are not being hit in stride, or being thrown open.
See, what had happened was........

PorkRinds

The guy that caught alex has 4.3 speed.

lumphog

I knew we were in trouble when BA over threw Hatcher on the 4th & short play. Speed is what we need!!!!!

trashcan maN

The DB that caught him is nicknamed Cheetah. There is a reason only a handful of NFL RBs can outrun a DB. CB are normally the fastest players on the team and RBs are often 5'10 230 lbs.

Hope you enjoyed DMac for his 3 yrs. Guys like him come along only every 20 or 30 years. He elevated our entire program.

regi

Quote from: Cletus on November 02, 2014, 06:27:41 pm
Mmmmm, the guy that ran him down supposedly runs a 4.35. I can possibly agree about the WR's, but they are not being hit in stride, or being thrown open.

Watch the games from the stadium. Nobody gets separation, Hatcher is the best of the WR crew and more than 20 yards downfield he is covered. Love AC, but 33 puts that in the end Zone last night, along with tons of other UA great RBs from the past.

hogsanity

Been saying this since spring practice. These sec defenses jam at the line knowing tge hogs have no one that can beat them deep.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Team speed is a weakness.  The defensive side lacks it too in the back 7. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigoBoys

HognVA

Is it just me or is AC heavier than last year? He looks a lot beefier now to me.

LAGNAF

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 02, 2014, 06:35:17 pm
The DB that caught him is nicknamed Cheetah. There is a reason only a handful of NFL RBs can outrun a DB. CB are normally the fastest players on the team and RBs are often 5'10 230 lbs.

Hope you enjoyed DMac for his 3 yrs. Guys like him come along only every 20 or 30 years. He elevated our entire program.

The guy that caught him is a 220lb outside lb that runs a sub 4.4 forty. That would be a nice luxury to have.

31to6

Quote from: LAGNAF on November 02, 2014, 06:52:00 pm
The guy that caught him is a 220lb outside lb that runs a sub 4.4 forty. That would be a nice luxury to have.
AC clearly did not expect to get caught, the strip surprised him.

He saw a LB as the only guy with an angle and presumed he would beat him.

That dude is fast.

KennyForAD

Glaring weaknesses..
1. Predictable play calling
2. QB in way over his head.

Hoggles

I'd say our glaring weakness is our insistence on having a balanced attack when we should be heavily run-oriented.

Bubba's Bruisers

We are essentially inept on passing downs.  We don't have the personnel to be successful in those situations.  It's a huge problem.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: Hoggles on November 02, 2014, 08:10:50 pm
I'd say our glaring weakness is our insistence on having a balanced attack when we should be heavily run-oriented.

The oline can't move sec defenses constantly. This isn't Texas tech or niu these teams stack the box because they can go man up in the secondary. Old school run run run can't work in the sec. DBs are just too good

Hoggles

Quote from: BrianWPS!! on November 02, 2014, 08:16:32 pm
The oline can't move sec defenses constantly. This isn't Texas tech or niu these teams stack the box because they can go man up in the secondary. Old school run run run can't work in the sec. DBs are just too good

If our offensive line can't move SEC defenses consistently, then what offensive lines can? It worked for LSU against Ole Miss and Florida against Georgia in the last few weeks.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hoggles on November 02, 2014, 08:19:39 pm
If our offensive line can't move SEC defenses consistently, then what offensive lines can? It worked for LSU against Ole Miss and Florida against Georgia in the last few weeks.

That's 1 game for each team.  Have these teams been doing it consistently? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Hoggles

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 02, 2014, 08:23:55 pm

I think we'd all take a conference win at this point, so I'd say one is better than none.

Letsroll1200

We just do not have that explosive playmaker that can put 6 on the board if you give him just a little blocking. I like J-Will and Collins but we have seen some explosive backs play for the Razorbacks(Talley, McFadden, Jones, Hillis). The hogs need that elite playmaker on offense.

On defense B. Ellis will be good at some point at Arkansas but he has struggled at times from what I seen. Our Safeties try their best but we are not even close to SEC caliber at that position.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hoggles on November 02, 2014, 08:28:48 pm
I think we'd all take a conference win at this point, so I'd say one is better than none.

Sure, but even those teams aren't going to win at a high level playing that way.  It was an exception to the rule.  Both those teams want balance.  They, like us, apparently don't have the personnel for it. 

Hoggles

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 02, 2014, 08:44:27 pm
Sure, but even those teams aren't going to win at a high level playing that way.  It was an exception to the rule.  Both those teams want balance.  They, like us, apparently don't have the personnel for it.

We don't have the personnel, namely the QB, to have a successful balanced attack. I'd rather try our luck with our line, Williams, and Collins than air it out forty-three times like we did on Saturday.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 02, 2014, 08:29:28 pm

On defense B. Ellis will be good at some point at Arkansas but he has struggled at times from what I seen. Our Safeties try their best but we are not even close to SEC caliber at that position.

You nailed it.  Our safety play has been very bad.  Hopefully one of these freshman step up soon.

We need safeties, wr and QB to move to next level.

downsouthhawg72

Quote from: regi on November 02, 2014, 06:35:51 pm
Watch the games from the stadium. Nobody gets separation, Hatcher is the best of the WR crew and more than 20 yards downfield he is covered. Love AC, but 33 puts that in the end Zone last night, along with tons of other UA great RBs from the past.

# 33 wouldn't have seen that hole & made the cut to even get where AC was to get caught so that's not a valid point.
DownSouthHawg

Prestworthy

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on November 02, 2014, 08:52:30 pm
# 33 wouldn't have seen that hole & made the cut to even get where AC was to get caught so that's not a valid point.
You're right.  33 would have just run past everybody and scored.

DCHogger

There are a few things I saw that I think are glaring weaknesses.
1)  Our offensive lineman need to learn how to pass block better, or substitute them for guys that can.  Especially when BA is not very comfortable in the pocket anyway.  You can't just have the biggest lineman in the world and brag about it if they can't fricken pass block.  Also, I think our OL need to pull more for running plays - get these monsters more "mobile" out in the open.  Allow them to plow over folks and open up those holes for our RBs. 
2)  Agree with the previous posts, we need more guys with break away speed, particularly at the WR and DB positions.  Our WRs need to learn how to obtain separation faster, and get open quicker.  I was shocked to see AC get caught, I was wondering...if he indeed heard foot steps, why didn't he just change direction to the left.       
3)  We are too predictable, both on offense and defense.  Our defensive line and LBs should be "moving" all the time with fake blitzes/stunts, shifting right and left, and blitzing.  Heck, the opposing QB already knows what we are going to do because we are already lined up waiting for them when their huddle breaks.  Albeit zone coverage worked great last night for the picks we got, we should mix it up and go man to man occasionally.  We give way too much "buffer" space between their receiver and our DB.  At times, we should be right in their fricken face.  If there DEs were that good, why not double team them with the receiver in motion?  We did mix it up some more with BA out of the shotgun and not passing every time, but still not enough fruition from that strategy.  There was a 4th and 2 we should have gone for versus punting.  Again, be unpredictable.   
4)  If we are stuck with BA for another year, we need to hire a great QB coach to train this guy.  Otherwise, we will be seeing the same 'ole problems next year.  Not just a good QB coach, I mean one of the best out there.  I get that BA is not the best QB in the SEC, but he does have some skills to work with.  We need to maximize what talents he has.  He needs some QB coaching, period.  BA missed a easy TD with an overthrow, and several times both receivers were open and he threw the ball away.  He is not comfortable in the pocket, he bails quick, maybe it is due to the lack of protection from our OL.  He should have ran the ball more, he had open space several times and he chose to throw when I think he could have gotten more yardage by running.       
5)  Our OC needs to expand the passing game, which is like duh, who didn't know that....I don't think BA threw one crossing pattern pass which can be very productive on short yardage situations.  The stacked the box and dared us to throw and we just could not connect lots of the times.  We need to teach our WRs how to "clear out" DBs.  We need to change up our WR motions and have the RB motion out of the backfield more often for receiving passes.  Short passes over the middle to AC or Williams are very safe for third down situations, which I haven't seen them do much.  Bama killed us often with those 7-10 yd passes over the middle all the time to their RBs.
6)  We got to stop with the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct.  Those penalties are just killing us.  It does not matter if the other team gets away with stuff, we can't do it.  Arkansas does seem to be penalized a lot over the years more than other teams for that kind of stuff.  I am not sure why, it could be the refs, but it is uncanny how after we make a big play, I am always waiting for the flag to come out to nullify the play.  We need to stop the trash talking and just let our play on the field speak for themselves.                 
7)  Special teams play is horrible.  We got to catch the ball after a punt and get some yardage.  I did not say a bunch, but get at least 10-15 yards.  Heck, I can't remember the last time we ran a punt.  Our kicking is getting better, but why not kick the ball into the end zone on every kickoff.   
8)  CBB needs some professional development himself, he needs to run through some end game scenarios with decision making points.  Sort of like learn how to "war game" as the military does for their training (e.g. realistic training scenarios).  We left a time out on the clock and I think it should have been used to develop a better scoring strategy.  It may have not changed the outcome, but we have historically had problems in this very situation.  Why not clock it and discuss on sideline one last time.  The head coach is ultimately responsible for the decisions on what plays to run.  It seems like he was taken out of the process last night in the final two plays for Ark.                                           

hawg IQ

Funny thing about this board, while BP recruited speed receivers and quality qbs he leaves a dumpster fire with his scheme.  Now we are all told BB is building the right way.  He is recruiting big strong lineman to run it down peoples throats.
    Now we want speed receivers again because we can't run on people and when we do, we need more speed.

While I don't disagree with post and I do like BB as a coach, it comes back to recruiting to all positions. Its what BB or a BP should always do.  Yet because of certain offensive schemes, it inhibits certain recruits on where they choose to play.
   Being married to a pass happy or a smash mouth offense is where the handicap is always at. IN balanced attack systems you can try and get best players always and I believe in recruiting  to defense first.

Now all that being said, its hard for any coach to recruit to Arkansas as opposed to an Alabama, but it can be done.

Lets face it , Bret Beilema is still learning about SEC football and type of players needed to win here.  He does need time and we are all dying here with loss after loss. I think he will get the speed, the quarterback,RBs in time.
  I do think hog defense is good enough to win and will get better. A heavy dose of patience is what we fans need and that is the hardest thing.
go hogs go !

Chief Mac

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 06:20:38 pm
It is a handicap.  We do not have the ability to score on big plays.  MSU does.  AU does.  That is a reason they were winners last night.  Recruiting and player development is the way to solve it.

spot on.  Not having at least one dynamic player with break-away ability is what is seperating us from a few more wins.  Hopefully Robinson works his butt off during this redshirt season and KJ comes in ready to be a beast!
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Youngsta71701

The guy that caught Collins only runs a 4.3.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 03, 2014, 06:45:41 am
Funny thing about this board, while BP recruited speed receivers and quality qbs he leaves a dumpster fire with his scheme.  Now we are all told BB is building the right way.  He is recruiting big strong lineman to run it down peoples throats.
    Now we want speed receivers again because we can't run on people and when we do, we need more speed.

While I don't disagree with post and I do like BB as a coach, it comes back to recruiting to all positions. Its what BB or a BP should always do.  Yet because of certain offensive schemes, it inhibits certain recruits on where they choose to play.
   Being married to a pass happy or a smash mouth offense is where the handicap is always at. IN balanced attack systems you can try and get best players always and I believe in recruiting  to defense first.

Now all that being said, its hard for any coach to recruit to Arkansas as opposed to an Alabama, but it can be done.

Lets face it , Bret Beilema is still learning about SEC football and type of players needed to win here.  He does need time and we are all dying here with loss after loss. I think he will get the speed, the quarterback,RBs in time.
  I do think hog defense is good enough to win and will get better. A heavy dose of patience is what we fans need and that is the hardest thing.

IF Bp recruited speed receivers one would think we would have some JRs and Srs at that spot that would fit that description. BP had one great group of receivers, that was the 2008 class, plus he added Cobi Hamilton in the 2009 class.  After that, he signed a ton of receivers, but they were mainly possession types.

Go study the stats at Wisc that BB's teams put up. I believe he had two or three wr's drafted by nfl teams too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Fatty McGee

Can't you say that about almost any team but Bama, traditionally?  Without a very talented QB, the most important position in football, they're an average team?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hawg IQ

November 03, 2014, 08:42:09 am #35 Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:53:15 am by hawg IQ
Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2014, 08:17:05 am
IF Bp recruited speed receivers one would think we would have some JRs and Srs at that spot that would fit that description. BP had one great group of receivers, that was the 2008 class, plus he added Cobi Hamilton in the 2009 class.  After that, he signed a ton of receivers, but they were mainly possession types.

Go study the stats at Wisc that BB's teams put up. I believe he had two or three wr's drafted by nfl teams too.
Okay BP did recruit speed receivers, he was here 4 years and he did recruit them.  There was a few like funderbunk and another or two that quit the team, he also signed Hawkins, who  just hasn't panned out. you can claim they were possession types but they did have speed, so I'm gonna called you down on that.

as far as what BB done at Wisconsin, that wasn't the point.   BP was a spread guy and BB is smash mouth. Either coach needs to recruit to team weakness. You cannot win in SEC being one dimensional. You need athletes at all position and also depth.

The original post was not enough speed, I was merely pointing out offenses sometimes dictates where players go and that we fans needed to be patient and stated BB would get the job done.
go hogs go !

hogsanity

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 03, 2014, 08:18:28 am
Can't you say that about almost any team but Bama, traditionally?  Without a very talented QB, the most important position in football, they're an average team?

I think it is more of the right qb at the right time. Like having RM and TW here at the same time as the best group of receivers ever produced in state all hit at just about the same time. Prescott is the perfect QB for THIS PARTICULAR group of players at MSU. Manziel was the perfect QB for the offense A&M had tha lst two years. Great OL, two big fast receivers that made JM look a little better with his arm than he really was. If MSu can't find another 230+lb Qb that can run and handle 20+ carries a game they will have trouble coming anywhere close to this level of success in the coming seasons.

inhognation

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on November 02, 2014, 08:52:30 pm

This^^^

RazorPiggie

Quote from: regi on November 02, 2014, 06:35:51 pm

Would 33 have broke through the line though?

MJ2

The "massive" OL seems to have disappeared too since the competition has gone up.   There are offensive holes, but so far, the Hogs are close.

hogfan10

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 02, 2014, 08:23:55 pm

I would say BAMA, LSU, and Florida have absolutely been doing it consistently.
SEC has won 7 of last 8 BCS championships; 6 by these 3 schools.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 03, 2014, 10:05:26 am
Would 33 have broke through the line though?

From what I've seen, the answer is no. I like KM but he's not magic - before he gets to outrun somebody he has to find a hole or make one. And he has to have the discipline to get back on the field and stay there.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 03, 2014, 06:45:41 am

We've always wanted and needed speed receivers.  We have been discussing it since Joe and Jarius were finishing up and Wade couldn't stay out of trouble.  It wouldn't have mattered who was hired and the type of offense they tried to install.  An offense needs speed in this conference or the opposing defenses will close down the field.  This isn't something we are figuring out 75% into season 2 of Bielema's tenure.  He has had one recruiting class. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 03, 2014, 08:18:28 am

LSU most of the last 10+ seasons.  The difference LSU has had numerous eventual NFL wr's, rb's and very good olines.  Average to even below average talent at qb was overcome by wr's who could beat most college db's.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogfan10 on November 03, 2014, 10:16:38 am
I would say BAMA, LSU, and Florida have absolutely been doing it consistently.
SEC has won 7 of last 8 BCS championships; 6 by these 3 schools.

What are we talking about again?

RazorPiggie

The Glaring Weakness I see on this team is a STUD WR. If you put Threadwell from Ole Miss or Duke Williams from Auburn on this team we'd be sitting at 6-3 or 7-2. With WRs like that you don't have to make perfect throws. You just throw it in their area and they will either come down with the ball or make sure the DB doesn't catch it. We don't have any WRs that are physical enough to do that.

WoodyHog

WR is a glaring weakness on this team.  Watching TCU and Baylor, it seems like almost 50% of their plays are just go routes where they put it on the WR to make a play.  I'm not saying we do anything like that, but the only two receivers we have that I have confidence in to go get the ball or get separation are Henry and AJ Derby.  Without safeties having to respect us over the top, they get squeezed. The current problem with our receivers is that they are not particularly shifty, fast or physical.  I think you need to be one of the three, or else you are just a possession receiver.  The good thing about this position is that it is not like a unit (e.g. D-Line, LB or O-Line) -- one guy can make all the difference.  Hopefully we are able to find that guy.

regi

Quote from: LAGNAF on November 02, 2014, 06:52:00 pm

Thank you, the guy is no 4.3 corner. Good player though, he led STATE in tackles Saturday night

Pig In The City

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 02, 2014, 06:28:31 pm
The guy that caught alex has 4.3 speed.
He made a great play in catching Collins. Perfect example of why you never quit on a play.  You guys will never be satisfied.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 03, 2014, 11:21:18 am
He made a great play in catching Collins. Perfect example of why you never quit on a play.  You guys will never be satisfied.

I was satisfied.