Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tackle Depth next yr

Started by WaltonCollege, November 02, 2014, 10:28:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WaltonCollege

With Brey cook graduating "Freak" Brian Wallace should step in at that RT spot.  Not really anyone to back them up though and we know Pittman likes to keep em fresh.  We are recruiting/signing a bunch of interior lineman (zach rodgers,josh allen, hopefully jalin barnett) but we are only on a couple tackles-Jalen Merrick and Tyler Howell, neither of which are solid hogs yet.  Jalen is getting a lot of love from Fla state recruits/fans to stay home and Howell visits Ohio State after us.  We need to lock one of these guys up because Colton Jackson will probably redshirt next yr and we need to keep kirkland inside at guard, his feet arent quick enough in pass pro when hes playing tackle.

BatesvilleHOG

We really need Merrick and Barnett. Those two are road graters. Hopefully they're good pass blockers too. That is where our OL needs to improve the most. Everyone blaming Brandon Allen for our losses aren't realizing 90% of his bad throws come while he's running away from a DL or LB that broke through.

yraciv

I'm never going to worry about OL depth with this coaching staff.  We're going to likely return 4 starters.  Tretola and Ragnow were T coming in, so they may have the versatility to play out there. Reeve Koehler is probably an interior guy, but I expect him to contribute next year, so that might open up others to move outside.  And then there is the wildcard Josh Allen.

And that is not even discussing OL recruits, which we know last year we cleaned up on.  We got 2 HS guys, 1 JUCO guy, and a SR transfer last season and they all cracked the depth chart.  I'm not sure if Zach Rogers or Colton Jackson can, but like you said we're still on other big names and those 2 aren't slouches.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on November 02, 2014, 12:13:46 pm
We really need Merrick and Barnett. Those two are road graters. Hopefully they're good pass blockers too. That is where our OL needs to improve the most. Everyone blaming Brandon Allen for our losses aren't realizing 90% of his bad throws come while he's running away from a DL or LB that broke through.

Yes I would be happy if we land one of those two.  We land them both and Pittman deserves another raise.  And yes BA can't complete every throw when he's on the ground looking for his ankles each down.  Will be interesting if Zach Rodgers redshirts due to his injuries and bulks up or if we will have a three headed monster at Center haha

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 02, 2014, 01:33:28 pm
Yes I would be happy if we land one of those two.  We land them both and Pittman deserves another raise.  And yes BA can't complete every throw when he's on the ground looking for his ankles each down.  Will be interesting if Zach Rodgers redshirts due to his injuries and bulks up or if we will have a three headed monster at Center haha
Rogers will definitely redshirt unless something happens to Ragnow. Also, Tretola can play center as well if Pittman and Bielema don't think Zach is ready.

bigdaddyhawg

Everyone blaming Brandon Allen for our losses aren't realizing 90% of his bad throws come while he's running away from a DL or LB that broke through.

And yes BA can't complete every throw when he's on the ground looking for his ankles each down. 

One I can let slide, but two exaggerations of the pass blocking qualities of our OL are simply too much for me to let go.

Brandon's problems are NOT as simple as he gets pressured sometimes.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogdomer

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on November 02, 2014, 02:32:56 pm
Rogers will definitely redshirt unless something happens to Ragnow. Also, Tretola can play center as well if Pittman and Bielema don't think Zach is ready.

Interior lineman seems ok for next year.  Smothers, Tretola, Kirkland, Ragnow and maybe the North Carolina guy Allen (and hopefully Barnett).

Like the original post said, who plays behind Skipper and Wallace at tackle?  That is a big concern.   

PorkRinds

Yes I would be happy if we land one of those two.  We land them both and Pittman deserves another raise. And yes BA can't complete every throw when he's on the ground looking for his ankles each down.  Will be interesting if Zach Rodgers redshirts due to his injuries and bulks up or if we will have a three headed monster at Center haha

I'm not saying the pass blocking has been stellar, but he hasn't been on the ground very much at all.  He's obviously been coached to get rid of it before taking a sack.

The_Iceman

Look for Ragnow to move out to Tackle eventually, with Zack Rogers being the Center.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 03, 2014, 02:31:45 pm
Look for Ragnow to move out to Tackle eventually, with Zack Rogers being the Center.

Doubt it. I bet Ragnow is our primary starter at center next year.

Dominicanhog

any reports on how big Jack krause is and how he was doing...

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 03, 2014, 04:14:57 pm
any reports on how big Jack krause is and how he was doing...
I know people started spreading around that he was going to grow into a OL, I do not believe that is the case. I'm sure he got on campus and herbert is keeping him at optimal levels to be a TE. The guy has some moves for a bigger blocking style TE. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/493779/highlights/35972448
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/2014/roster/53d8fe16e4b0ad61185738d7

redeye

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2014, 02:19:11 pm
I'm not saying the pass blocking has been stellar, but he hasn't been on the ground very much at all.  He's obviously been coached to get rid of it before taking a sack.

I'll go on record to say he's had more time then any Arkansas QB in years, although that's partially due to Wilson probably having less time then any Arkansas QB ever.

jackflash

Do you think they will Boyd or Ollison back to the offensive line?

Tim Harris

That would be surprising.  They have talked about Ragnow being a Center since the day he signed.  We still have him and Smothers allowing Rogers to RS.  Then in 2 years he is a JR and Rogers in a RS Fr and can start working in to the rotation.  Then 2 years of that and Rogers takes over as the start as a RS JR.  None of us like to think of the new crop of players sitting the bench and waiting their time for a couple years but that is the only way we are going to build quality depth and compete every year.

jb11

One thing I haven't thought about is the walk-ons, including Klint Harvey, who is committed to walk on in 2015.  Hopefully, there is a Burlsworth in there somewhere.

ricepig

Don't sleep on Colton Jackson, he probably needs a redshirt year, but I saw him with one arm, body slam a kid from Jonesboro who is 280lbs and will play D-2 at least. I was surprised at the development he had from his Jr year to this year.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: jb11 on November 04, 2014, 01:43:46 pm
One thing I haven't thought about is the walk-ons, including Klint Harvey, who is committed to walk on in 2015.  Hopefully, there is a Burlsworth in there somewhere.
JB11 this walk on program will pay huge dividends in the future.

OL that I'm aware of that is currently walking on
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/2014/roster/53d8fa63e4b0ad61185738ce
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/2014/roster/53d8fb0ee4b0ad61185738d1

And then Mr Klint Harvey like you stated. http://247sports.com/Player/Klint-Harvey-33408

You know in previous years i remember not having enough bodies to go around.. now we have plenty of them and we are just waiting for them to step up and develop.

WaltonCollege

November 16, 2014, 12:50:43 pm #18 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:09:30 pm by WaltonCollege
We need Barnett

Lake City Hog

Center----------Smothers--Ragnow--Rogers RS
Guard-----------Kirkland--Tretola--Koehler--Danenhauer--Deacon
Tackle-----------Skipper--Jefferson--Wallace--Beck--Ollison

Josh Allen? Who knows how he will fit in.
We should be fine, Pittman should be able to turn Koehler, Beck and Danenhauer into serviceable back-ups. We need to redshirt every O'Lineman that we can for a better future.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 16, 2014, 01:56:32 pm
Center----------Smothers--Ragnow--Rogers RS
Guard-----------Kirkland--Tretola--Koehler--Danenhauer--Deacon
Tackle-----------Skipper--Jefferson--Wallace--Beck--Ollison

Josh Allen? Who knows how he will fit in.
We should be fine, Pittman should be able to turn Koehler, Beck and Danenhauer into serviceable back-ups. We need to redshirt every O'Lineman that we can for a better future.

Tackle wise Jefferson is done he only had one ur to play here. Beck is unproven, not quick enough v sec talent, and ollison plays d tackle now. We literally have no one to fill in behind skipper and Wallace NEED to sign Tyler Howell or Jalen Merrick because a quality backup just isn't currently on the roster right now

secneahog

We should know by now the Oline positions can change.
Colton at tackle. Merrick at left tackle. Barnett and josh Allen at guard. Zach at center.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

TMc

What do I know.., but I don't see that - I think he stays at center or plays guard.

secneahog

Quote from: TMc on November 16, 2014, 05:03:58 pm
What do I know.., but I don't see that - I think he stays at center or plays guard.

Ragnow should stay at center.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

TMc

Quote from: secneahog on November 16, 2014, 05:06:04 pm
Ragnow should stay at center.

That's what I think.  I think if anything.., Rogers will move to guard or backup Ragnow.

secneahog

Quote from: TMc on November 16, 2014, 05:50:19 pm
That's what I think.  I think if anything.., Rogers will move to guard or backup Ragnow.

Zach should stay at center also.  We need depth at center.  Will be nice to start redshirting talent.

Hog Fan from Camden

Kirkland can play OT if needed.

onebadrubi

I think our run game is a Swanson away from being good!

Wildhog

Like I've been saying, we need to sign another OT in this class. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2014, 09:15:27 pm

I've been echoing this for a while.  We could use 2 more, really.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2014, 09:02:50 pm
I think our run game is a Swanson away from being good!

An improving passing game would be much more helpful.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 16, 2014, 09:22:10 pm
I've been echoing this for a while.  We could use 2 more, really.

Agreed.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2014, 09:23:26 pm
Agreed.

If Merrick is really a T, then we'd be miles ahead if we got him and Howell.  Make Howell immediately available for playing time and RS Merrick and Jackson.  Would be significant.

razorsharp94

November 17, 2014, 08:51:56 am #33 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:24:33 am by razorsharp94
If Ragnow is ready to step in you could see Smothers at guard and Kirkland could move to tackle. Apparently one of the staff members told one of the rivals guys that Kirkland was our best tackle.

Wildhog

Ragnow and Kirkland need to stay right where they are.
1909/1964/1965/1977

carolinahogger

We really need Merrick and Barnett. Those two are road graters.

If you google "road grater" you will find a ton of hits for road graders.

Wildhog

Maybe they install these part time?

1909/1964/1965/1977

trashcan maN

With Merrick being so raw and a former basketball player at 6'5", I have to believe he'll get a serious look at T. Basketball players tend to have great feet.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2014, 09:28:41 am
Maybe they install these part time?

That is a good point, but I don't think that skill set will be particularly useful on the offensive line.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Most fans are in love with the idea of having "the Biggest O-Line in football". The Raiders have the 2nd biggest. How is that working out for them?

I would prefer we get a little smaller if we must to get more athletic to be able to pull more and block for those screens so many are begging for. We actually threw a couple of screens vs LSU, I would like to see more.

Tall, long-armed guys who can bend and move their feet who are 300 or a little over are better than just having beef, although I do like Tretola and Kirkland. If we don't get Howell, I wonder if Skipper might be moved to RT with Wallace on the left side...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2014, 09:15:27 pm

We will.

ricepig

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on November 17, 2014, 08:02:08 pm
Most fans are in love with the idea of having "the Biggest O-Line in football". The Raiders have the 2nd biggest. How is that working out for them?

I would prefer we get a little smaller if we must to get more athletic to be able to pull more and block for those screens so many are begging for. We actually threw a couple of screens vs LSU, I would like to see more.

Tall, long-armed guys who can bend and move their feet who are 300 or a little over are better than just having beef, although I do like Tretola and Kirkland. If we don't get Howell, I wonder if Skipper might be moved to RT with Wallace on the left side...

I usually watch the game through my binoculars, I could tell every time Kirkland was going to pull, his weight shifted. I think he's a guard, but I'll let Pitman do his thing.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

WaltonCollege

Kirkland-330lbs too slow in pass pro, two straight plays v Georgia we pugged him in at LT for skipper, both times the GA speed rusher came around the corner and ate Allen's lunch
Tretola-he is playing the best of all the linemen right now, will stay at guard, too slow for a tackle
Ragnow-will stay at center and split with Mitch next yr while Rogers possibly redshirts, then in '16 it's him and frank
Reeve Koeler- guard project
Josh Allen-maybe a tackle, projected guard
Colton Jackson-redshirt likely
Austen Beck-don't get me started

Legitimately no true servicable tackles next yr behind skipper and Wallace, at lease none with any sec experience which is critical

secneahog

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 17, 2014, 08:25:38 pm
Kirkland-330lbs too slow in pass pro, two straight plays v Georgia we pugged him in at LT for skipper, both times the GA speed rusher came around the corner and ate Allen's lunch
Tretola-he is playing the best of all the linemen right now, will stay at guard, too slow for a tackle
Ragnow-will stay at center and split with Mitch next yr while Rogers possibly redshirts, then in '16 it's him and frank
Reeve Koeler- guard project
Josh Allen-maybe a tackle, projected guard
Colton Jackson-redshirt likely
Austen Beck-don't get me started

Legitimately no true servicable tackles next yr behind skipper and Wallace, at lease none with any sec experience which is critical

Josh Allen is like 6'2 6'3. He's not playing tackle.

Tim Harris

Quote from: razorsharp94 on November 17, 2014, 08:51:56 am
If Ragnow is ready to step in you could see Smothers at guard and Kirkland could move to tackle. Apparently one of the staff members told one of the rivals guys that Kirkland was our best tackle.

I'm going to have to call BS on the Rivals guys.  If he was our best tackle he would be playing tackle.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 19, 2014, 07:13:47 am
I'm going to have to call BS on the Rivals guys.  If he was our best tackle he would be playing tackle.
You mean you're going to call BS on the staff member that told them that, or are you suggesting that the Rivals guys fashion lies from thin air?

trashcan maN

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 17, 2014, 08:25:38 pm

I'm not sure about the first sack, but, in DK's defense, Charpentier got embarrassed at LG for the second sack.

Tim Harris

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 19, 2014, 07:35:56 am
You mean you're going to call BS on the staff member that told them that, or are you suggesting that the Rivals guys fashion lies from thin air?

Just BS on the situation in general.

Don't you think if someone was the best player we had at that position they would be playing there?  Or do you generally think coaches try to play people out of position?

trashcan maN

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 19, 2014, 07:39:16 am
Just BS on the situation in general.

Don't you think if someone was the best player we had at that position they would be playing there?  Or do you generally think coaches try to play people out of position?
I agree with you. You don't put your best T at G. I was just wondering if you were saying the Rivals guys were lying about being told that by a staff member.

Probably a GA just blabbing.