Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 games left.. what if we go 0-3?

Started by Baller, November 02, 2014, 09:18:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 02, 2014, 10:18:46 am
Ed Oregeron was fired after going 0-16 his first two years at Ole Miss

Show me the similarity between Orgeron's situation at Ole Miss and the facts I laid out in the post of mine that you quoted.

Hint: there are none.

3of5-2

If we improve as much next year as we have this year, we will make a bowl game next year. Probably not a big one, but at least another baby step. Unfortunately, we have been contempt at improvement in our losses, which have netted zero wins in the win column. CBB will get 4 years IMO, but if we go 0-FOREVER in conference games next year, then the fans will fall off and we may have to move all games to WMS just to get a decent crowd. It may help if JL and CBB would show a little humility once in awhile.

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 10:22:19 am
It didn't happen.  He is making up darn. 
I knew they were pretty bad but didn't remember it being that terrible...guess that explains it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Baller

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 10:22:19 am
It didn't happen.  He is making up darn.

You're right.  Oregeron was fired after just one 0-fer season.  The other 2 he won a few SEC games.

History is not on our side.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2014, 10:23:49 am
I knew they were pretty bad but didn't remember it being that terrible...guess that explains it.

Orgeron went 0-8 in the SEC his last season there.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 10:25:14 am
You're right.  Oregeron was fired after just one 0-fer season.  The other 2 he won a few SEC games.

History is not on our side.

Again, I don't think it will matter. We will win 2 of our next 3.

Carl Lazlo

Aren't loses "better" for this team?  CBB acted like the loss against LSU to end last year only helped the program over the off season.  A win would have only given this team a false sense of being good.

Using that same logic a loss against mizzou to close out the year will "benefit this team in more ways than 1." The players need to know exactly where they belong.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 10:26:45 am
Again, I don't think it will matter. We will win 2 of our next 3.
How are we going to score points when they stop our run?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Baller

I can't think of a coach who has survived ONE 0-8 SEC season, come to think of it. 

I think they all have been fired after one 0-fer season. 

Somebody prove me wrong!

tophawg19

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 10:22:37 am
Mike Shula won 2 his 1st year, then 3 SEC games, then 6 SEC games to save his job, otherwise he was fired for only winning 10 SEC games in 3 years (5 in his first 2)... and then he only won 2 games in his 4th season and Bama fans rejoiced at his termination.

We don't have history on our side.  Too many fans would rejoice if we went 0-16 SEC under CBB and he was terminated.
4 years in a weak SEC  . nuff said . Coach O'S Team wasn't very competitive in an average SEC years . The conference wasn't close to what it is now
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 10:19:17 am

What's wrong with you people?  It always turns into personal insults if God forbid, someone has a different opinion.  I don't know you. You sure as he'll wouldn't say that to my face. I wouldn't say it to you.  And there's sure as crap no reason to insult someone for living in a trailer park.  Knock it off.
It's not that you have a different opinion. That's a big fallacy here on hogville.

It's that your opinion is thoughtless and stupid.

There's a difference.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

jkstock04

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on November 02, 2014, 10:27:16 am
Aren't loses "better" for this team?  CBB acted like the loss against LSU to end last year only helped the program over the off season.  A win would have only given this team a false sense of being good.

Using that same logic a loss against mizzou to close out the year will "benefit this team in more ways than 1." The players need to know exactly where they belong.

Ya him insinuating the loss was better last year after the LSU game was way off base.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on November 02, 2014, 10:27:16 am

This is the type of post that invites ridicule and insults.  Then those on the "negative" side cry when they receive them.

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 10:28:23 am
I can't think of a coach who has survived ONE 0-8 SEC season, come to think of it. 

I think they all have been fired after one 0-fer season. 

Somebody prove me wrong!

In what season of their tenure did the 0 fer happen and in what condition was the program when they started? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Didn't Nutt pull off an 0-16 run his last two years and get his AD and himself fired?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2014, 10:30:16 am
Ya him insinuating the loss was better last year after the LSU game was way off base.

No, it was him trying to turn a negative into a positive for a group needing some form of confidence and motivation heading into the offseason.  Common sense. 

Hoggles

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 02, 2014, 10:30:46 am
Didn't Nutt pull off an 0-16 run his last two years and get his AD and himself fired?

Close. He went 1-7 and 0-8 his last two years. Man, remember when he beat Petrino his first two years there and trolls would say he was the better coach of the two? Ha.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2014, 10:27:47 am
How are we going to score points when they stop our run?

We have to start mixing up the QBs and the play calling.  He has to do it right now.

hogcard1964

He won 1 or 2.

Baller

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 02, 2014, 10:29:09 am
4 years in a weak SEC  . nuff said . Coach O'S Team wasn't very competitive in an average SEC years . The conference wasn't close to what it is now

What?  Just in 2003, LSU won the BCSCG.  Bama that year played #1 Oklahoma, #9 Arkansas, #11 Georgia, #22 Tennessee and #3 LSU (which again won the NC game)..  How is that a down year?

jkstock04

Pretty sure it was just his last year. Went 0-8 and was shown the door.

Difference is he came into a stacked team and took that program down the toilet. Turned a good qb into a shell of a qb. Typical Houston Nutt stuff
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Baller

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 10:30:45 am

In what season of their tenure did the 0 fer happen and in what condition was the program when they started?

Has it ever happened?  Has a coach ever been retained after one 0-fer?  It's tough to find teams who go 0-fer in conference, historically speaking, so I'm asking those with more knowledge than I have.  Chizik and Oregeron (and Nutt) were fired after only one 0-fer season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 10:37:15 am
Has it ever happened?  Has a coach ever been retained after one 0-fer?  It's tough to find teams who go 0-fer in conference, historically speaking, so I'm asking those with more knowledge than I have.  Chizik and Oregeron (and Nutt) were fired after only one 0-fer season.

Research it.  You are the one trying to make a point.

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 10:32:29 am
No, it was him trying to turn a negative into a positive for a group needing some form of confidence and motivation heading into the offseason.  Common sense. 

I disagree. He literally said (paraphrasing) that winning that game wouldn't have mattered. It was not a confidence building statement.

Basically it was what Carl said above. He wanted them completely stripped going into the offseason...essentially more motivation and hunger for getting better...and a win would have impeded that. I see Bielemas point, but disagree with it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Does not look like it has happened in recent history. I'm sure if you dug back far enough you could find it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 02, 2014, 10:18:46 am
Ed Oregeron was fired after going 0-16 his first two years at Ole Miss

Ed Orgeron, while a tremendous recruiter, never brought Ole Miss within the striking distance of SEC competitiveness at a high level that BB has in less that two short years. And, the SEC as good as it may be, wasn't as difficult during Oregeron's years as it is now.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2014, 10:40:00 am
I disagree. He literally said (paraphrasing) that winning that game wouldn't have mattered. It was not a confidence building statement.

Basically it was what Carl said above. He wanted them completely stripped going into the offseason...essentially more motivation and hunger for getting better...and a win would have impeded that. I see Bielemas point, but disagree with it.
I do remember Casey Dick, walking off the field in 2008, a hero.

hogcard1964

Not in the SEC.  Dennis Green did at Northwestern in '80 or '81, but he was taking over a program that had gone something like 1-32.  Dennis Green was one of the worst college football coaches of all time.

jkstock04

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 02, 2014, 10:42:00 am
I do remember Casey Dick, walking off the field in 2008, a hero.
I smell what you are steppin in. Bielema really needs a win like that. A SIGNATURE win. I know everyone likes to downplay winning but I do think it's important for him to make a mark this year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2014, 10:40:00 am

Yes it was.  To suggest he preferred to lose that game is stupid. 

hobhog

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 10:10:56 am
Kentucky put up 30 something points on MSU!!! Whatchoo talkin bout Willis??

Aggies ALMOST LOST to ULM. 

I'm saying our schedule could have been arranged differently to benefit us.  We play A&M now and I guarantee you we beat them and then probably go on to beat Mizzou and then go bowling.

Classic.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 02, 2014, 10:46:22 am
I smell what you are steppin in. Bielema really needs a win like that. A SIGNATURE win. I know everyone likes to downplay winning but I do think it's important for him to make a mark this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37uttMA6Mc

Hogmeier

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 02, 2014, 10:07:38 am
Think about this.

(1) Our AD has become one of the most respected in the business - for the way he handled the Petrino matter and for his chairmanship of the playoff committee.

(2) The national pundits, coaches, etc. are pushing the story line that Bielema is building something and that we are much better than our record indicates.

(3) Bielema's buyout is $12.8 million.

Given those facts, there is no way in hell Bielema gets fired. Zero percent chance.

You are exactly right! Because of the above statements, there's no rush to get a win this year, even next year!

Jeff Long is now the face of of the playoff committee. Being Arkansas AD is his second job at the moment. When was the last time, during one of this mid game interviews they listed him as AR AD? He could care less if we win! If we start winning, that puts him in a bad spot!

CBB has a huge buyout! He's safe, win or lose!

So, considering the above comments, I don't see a change a coming anytime soon!

hogcard1964

Funny you should post thhat video Ponerin'  He mentioned University of Illinois in the clip.  A school that is expected to fire their head coach after year three with a few conference wins under his belt.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 11:03:19 am
Funny you should post thhat video Ponerin'  He mentioned University of Illinois in the clip.  A school that is expected to fire their head coach after year three with a few conference wins under his belt.
Yeah, I noticed that too! 

rljjr

What if we go 3-0?

What if, what if, what if.

WashUhog6

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 02, 2014, 09:57:39 am
Show me 5 since 2000 that were HC's for the Power 5 conferences that were dismissed solely on the basis of a lack of conference wins in 2 seasons.
Honestly, it's harder to find a recent coach who has lost every single conference game in his first two years than it is to find a coach who was fired after two years. Even the true stinkers like Turner Gill and Charlie Weis at Kansas, Ed Orgeron at Ole Miss, Keith Gilbertson at Washington, and Joker Phillips at Kentucky managed to win at least one conference game.

If we finish winless again it will be truly astounding, and mostly unprecedented in recent years as results like that just *do not* happen, especially at a place like Arkansas with a coach as renowned as Bret Bielema.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rljjr on November 02, 2014, 11:13:40 am
What if we go 3-0?

What if, what if, what if.

That could also happen and would be a definitive step in the right direction.  I also think it could land us in the Gator, Peach, Liberty or even the Outback bowl.

Dominicanhog

7-5  and a Liberty bowl against OSU cowbabies.... should be a good game...

BR

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 02, 2014, 10:07:38 am
Think about this.

(1) Our AD has become one of the most respected in the business - for the way he handled the Petrino matter and for his chairmanship of the playoff committee.

(2) The national pundits, coaches, etc. are pushing the story line that Bielema is building something and that we are much better than our record indicates.

(3) Bielema's buyout is $12.8 million.

Given those facts, there is no way in hell Bielema gets fired. Zero percent chance.
So True...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Baller

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 11:16:39 am
That could also happen and would be a definitive step in the right direction.  I also think it could land us in the Gator, Peach, Liberty or even the Outback bowl.

WPS!!

Danny J

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 02, 2014, 09:43:57 am
He isn't losing his job if he finishes 0-8 in conference again this year.   If he starts out with a loss against Texas A&M and then follows that up with a loss at Tennessee next year then majority of people will begin doubting him and that is when he will be on the hot seat to get something done before next year ends.
Now that ^^^^ is reality.

Gonzo

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 09:18:57 am
If anyone can think of any somewhat-storied program, say, one just hovering inside the top-25 or better, that has hired a new coach who has gone on to lose every conference game for his first 2 years in a row and STILL be retained for year 3, please list it/them!!

I can't think of one and it's starting to scare me that we may not have history on our side.  The last thing this program needs is another regime change!  But will Long be forced to make that call, based on pressure from history?

There will be no change at the top after this season, no matter what happens in the last 3 imo. If they finish 0-8 in conference again, I could see BB sitting on a rather warm chair next season, but he will be the head coach next year at least. Hopefully the results will improve. No way of knowing til another season passes.

Go Hogs! Beat LSU!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Gonzo on November 02, 2014, 11:32:33 am
There will be no change at the top after this season, no matter what happens in the last 3 imo. If they finish 0-8 in conference again, I could see BB sitting on a rather warm chair next season, but he will be the head coach next year at least. Hopefully the results will improve. No way of knowing til another season passes.

Go Hogs! Beat LSU!

Do all the major boosters agree with you?

Baller

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 11:33:53 am
Do all the major boosters agree with you?

There are bound to be some who don't care about this "perfect storm" which is the only reason CBB is 0-fer. 

The people crying perfect storm believe that something is happening which has never happened before in college football, that the odds are simply insurmountable, and that almost no coach could have done any better.

There will be some people who call BS on that, and when you combine their voices with modern history, Jeff Long may have no choice, buy out or no.

passinghog

I Love the optimism from so many saying we'll go 7-5. However this team truly DOES NOT know how to win. A picture of this team should be in the dictionary for "things that find ways to lose in every way possible." So based on our track record, 0-8 is a VERY legit possibility. I don't know of any hog fans (or national pundits) that ever expected a program of this caliber, resources, and tradition would ever go consecutive seasons without winning a conference game, SEC difficulty be darned. It'll be interesting to see the reaction if and when that happens.

Danny J

Quote from: Gonzo on November 02, 2014, 11:32:33 am

Go Hogs! Beat LSU!
Since this entire thread is nothing but speculation I will say 100% for sure that if he starts his career 0-24 in the SEC he will be fired after his third season no matter the buyout.

I just don't see us losing that many straight games. No way. I still think we have a good chance to win out IF we try a few different things on offense. We won the first half yesterday because our special teams were great in the first half and our defense played very well. We will put it together.

Baller

What if he starts BA again every game next season?

How would you feel to be the only AR QB to lose every game you started for 3+ years?  This would be detrimental to the mental health of the kid.  But I don't see CBB doing something different.  So what if he starts BA for the first 1/2 the season and he loses every SEC game before he gets yanked?  In that case it might even be worse for his mental stability as an adult. 

BA will be lucky to come out of college and not be a little self-destructive.  We've killed this kid's confidence.

Baller

Which brings up another question:

Has any D1 Quarterback ever gone 0-fer in conference for 2 straight years? ???

There is no way another program has kept the same guy through 2 straight 0-fer conference seasons.  There would have had to have been a change made.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Showtimehog on November 02, 2014, 11:40:37 am
I Love the optimism from so many saying we'll go 7-5. However this team truly DOES NOT know how to win. A picture of this team should be in the dictionary for "things that find ways to lose in every way possible." So based on our track record, 0-8 is a VERY legit possibility. I don't know of any hog fans (or national pundits) that ever expected a program of this caliber, resources, and tradition would ever go consecutive seasons without winning a conference game, SEC difficulty be darned. It'll be interesting to see the reaction if and when that happens.

I don't expect to win an SEC game at this point.  Not ruling it out as it could happen.  But not expecting it. 

I'm not surprised our program could fall into this position considering the depth of competition we currently face.  I wouldn't expect to go winless.

When a program like AU or Tenn can fall to where they have in some recent seasons or Florida or Texas, it isn't surprising in the least we can find ourselves in the situation we are in after what happened. 

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 10:49:42 am
Yes it was.  To suggest he preferred to lose that game is stupid. 
I know it's crazy, but I know what he said. I don't think he went into the game trying or wanting to lose. But in its wake that was the light he was viewing it in. More motivation going into the offseason officially slamming the door shut is how I took it. It's prob too old or we could find the clip.

But it never fails...the folks on here you try and be respectful to are the ones who throw childish insults and call names. I guarantee you wouldn't call me stupid to my face. 99% of everyone on here talking smack to each other wouldn't say these things either if they weren't behind a computer screen.

I just wish there was more respect....and everyone could repsectfully agree to disagree. As many people are on here not everyone is always gonna see eye to eye.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys