Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 games left.. what if we go 0-3?

Started by Baller, November 02, 2014, 09:18:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Chief Mac

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 07:08:08 pm
Yeah, the guy's a great OC and HC. No argument there. The schedules are really similar though.

schedules are similar.....but that's it
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

redeye

November 05, 2014, 07:49:38 pm #252 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:05:12 pm by redeye
Quote from: Baller on November 05, 2014, 06:12:02 pm
SO, redeye, you see the point of this thread.

Although it is possible to get LUCKY with a guy like Mullen, the odds are stacked against you.  About the worst thing that could happen to this program is another coaching change, right now.  The only way it could work is to go get an up-and-comer like Mullen, which are few and far between, because you're right, no respectable and respected coach would take the job at that point.  UNLESS, haha, he had an 8-figure buyout.  In that case, hell yeah, you'd have takers!   ;)

I do?

Well, I don't think MSU got lucky with Mullen and I'm still trying to figure out your point here.  The Mullen hire was heralded as a good one when it happened, but some people gave up on him too soon.  MSU isn't a school that's always loaded with high-caliber talent, so it took a while for Mullen to stock the cupboards.  In contrast, Florida could fire Muschamp and win the national championship in 2016.  Arkansas is more like MSU, because we don't have high-caliber recruits flocking to Fayetteville, regardless of the coach, so we have to hire someone who can get them here and that takes time.

Despite what many think, it's rare that "established coaches" have a lot of success elsewhere.  Saban is one of the exceptions when Alabama hired him, but Arkansas fans would have gone berserk if we'd hired him from Michigan State, as LSU did.  Miles' had mild success at Oklahoma State before LSU hired him, too.  Florida stole their best head coach, Steve Spurrier, from Duke, of all places, and Georgia picked an OC from FSU in Richt.  Neither Spurrier or Holtz had the success they'd had previously at SC, although both helped take SC to a higher level.  Off the top of my head, Saban is the only coach I can remember having great success at one school and duplicating it at another.  If anything, Bielema's past success at Wisconsin should be a reason for us to worry, but I wouldn't waste time doing that.

Also, money will buy you a lot, but it won't buy you everything.  I can promise you there are coaches who would have no interest in coming to Arkansas, regardless of what we paid them.  In contrast, Bielema wants to be here, and I don't know about you, but I consider that a huge plus.

Hoggles

Quote from: redeye on November 05, 2014, 07:49:38 pm
I do?

Well, I don't think MSU got lucky with Mullen and I'm still trying to figure out your point here.  The Mullen hire was heralded as a good one when it happened, but some people gave up on him too soon.  MSU isn't a school that's always loaded with high-caliber talent, so it took a while for Mullen to stock the cupboards.  In contrast, Florida could fire Muschamp and win the national championship in 2016.  Arkansas is more like MSU, because we don't have high-caliber recruits flocking to Fayetteville, regardless of the coach, so we have to hire someone who can get them here and that takes time.

Despite what many think, it's rare that "established coaches" have a lot of success.  Saban is one of the exceptions when Alabama hired him, but Arkansas fans would have gone berserk if we'd hired him from Michigan State, as LSU did.  Miles' had mild success at Oklahoma State before LSU hired him, too.  Florida stole their best head coach, Steve Spurrier, from Duke, of all places, and Georgia picked an OC from FSU in Richt.  Neither Spurrier or Holtz had the success they'd had previously at SC, although both helped take SC to a higher level.  Off the top of my head, Saban is the only coach I can remember having great success at one school and duplicating it at another.  If anything, Bielema's past success at Wisconsin should be a reason for us to worry, but I wouldn't waste time doing that.

Also, money will buy you a lot, but it won't buy you everything.  I can promise you there are coaches who would have no interest in coming to Arkansas, regardless of what we paid them.  In contrast, Bielema wants to be here, and I don't know about you, but I consider that a huge plus.

Something that has worried me is how much success Urban Meyer has had in the Big Ten. He's been there going on three years now, yet he's never lost a game against Big Ten opponents. The guy is 20-0 against Big Ten teams. Tressel only went undefeated twice in the conference play in ten years, yet Meyer waltzes in and accomplishes that feat his first two years there. Meyer is an outstanding coach, but how good is the Big Ten really?

Danny J

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 08:00:41 pm
Something that has worried me is how much success Urban Meyer has had in the Big Ten. He's been there going on three years now, yet he's never lost a game against Big Ten opponents. The guy is 20-0 against Big Ten teams. Tressel only went undefeated twice in the conference play in ten years, yet Meyer waltzes in and accomplishes that feat his first two years there. Meyer is an outstanding coach, but how good is the Big Ten really?
The big ten is pretty bad.

MSU gets to play tOSU at home so that will likely be his first big ten loss.

Medic821

Hoggles

Quote from: Medic821 on November 05, 2014, 08:17:42 pm
We are such experts.

Yeah, what's with all these losers discussing things when all everyone needs are more snarky posts that add nothing to the conversation?

IntegrityHog

Quote from: redeye on November 05, 2014, 07:49:38 pm
I do?

Despite what many think, it's rare that "established coaches" have a lot of success elsewhere.  Saban is one of the exceptions when Alabama hired him, but Arkansas fans would have gone berserk if we'd hired him from Michigan State, as LSU did.  Miles' had mild success at Oklahoma State before LSU hired him, too.  Florida stole their best head coach, Steve Spurrier, from Duke, of all places, and Georgia picked an OC from FSU in Richt.  Neither Spurrier or Holtz had the success they'd had previously at SC, although both helped take SC to a higher level.  Off the top of my head, Saban is the only coach I can remember having great success at one school and duplicating it at another.  If anything, Bielema's past success at Wisconsin should be a reason for us to worry, but I wouldn't waste time doing that.

This is an important point - CBB **wants** to be here.   That is worth a lot these days.  I posted before the beginning of the season that CBB's loyalty should factor into a raise and an extension, along with his recruiting, no players arrested, steady improvement, etc.  The post was moved to Section 8, but you get the idea.

redeye

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 08:00:41 pm

Didn't they lose to Michigan State in last year's championship game?  I know they lost to Virginia Tech at home this year.

I do think the Big Ten is that bad.  It's even been a big topic this year.  Northwestern beat Penn State and Wisconsin, but lost at home to a NIU team we beat 52-14.

Meyer is a good coach, but I think he's a little overrated and got a little lucky at Florida.  Ohio State is loaded with talent, so he should be winning big in a depleted Big Ten.

Hoggles

Quote from: redeye on November 05, 2014, 08:27:47 pm
Didn't they lose to Michigan State in last year's championship game?  I know they lost to Virginia Tech at home this year.

I do think the Big Ten is that bad.  It's even been a big topic this year.  Northwestern beat Penn State and Wisconsin, but lost at home to a NIU team we beat 52-14.

Meyer is a good coach, but I think he's a little overrated and got a little lucky at Florida.  Ohio State is loaded with talent, so he should be winning big in a depleted Big Ten.

You're right. He did lose to MSU last year. Thanks, man, I had totally forgotten about that. Do you think he's a better coach than Tressel?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 08:21:21 pm
Yeah, what's with all these losers discussing things when all everyone needs are more snarky posts that add nothing to the conversation?
Like yours I presume?

Blue35

Odds are that we will go 0-3 and it will be same story next year. We have hired a windbag empty suit and will have to start over sooner then later.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Blue35 on November 05, 2014, 08:44:33 pm
Odds are that we will go 0-3 and it will be same story next year. We have hired a windbag empty suit and will have to start over sooner then later.
Get out much do you?

redeye

Quote from: Hoggles on November 05, 2014, 08:30:52 pm
You're right. He did lose to MSU last year. Thanks, man, I had totally forgotten about that. Do you think he's a better coach than Tressel?

I don't know, because I've never followed Big Ten football much.  Tressel seemed to be a very good coach, but so is Meyer.  I just think Meyer has benefited from exceptional talent and assistants.  He certainly deserves credit for those things, but I also think he's been a little lucky.

Baller

Quote from: redeye on November 05, 2014, 08:47:35 pm
I don't know, because I've never followed Big Ten football much.  Tressel seemed to be a very good coach, but so is Meyer.  I just think Meyer has benefited from exceptional talent and assistants.  He certainly deserves credit for those things, but I also think he's been a little lucky.

What do you think about Coach B's success?  Was it luck or inheritance?  Or was it pig farmer smashmouth leadership?

redeye

Quote from: Blue35 on November 05, 2014, 08:44:33 pm

Really?  Care to explain that logic?

Hiring a coach is a big investment and you're losing money, among other things, when you fire them early.  Even if Bielema never wins another game at Arkansas, it wouldn't be a dumb to give him another couple of years to recoup our investment and build trust with other coaches who think we're trigger happy.  Other then his lack of SEC wins, Bielema has been very successful at Arkansas with building depth with high-character players, who will improve the team's academic standing.  The media also likes him and he's used that to shed positive light on the university.

I feel good about what he's doing here, but I can't tell you that I know he'll win a SEC championship one day.  I would, however, strongly advise you to reconsider wishing for hasty decisions like we've had in the past, which have put us in this position of having to rebuild Arkansas Football from depths it hasn't seen in many decades.