Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 games left.. what if we go 0-3?

Started by Baller, November 02, 2014, 09:18:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 11:45:58 am
What if he starts BA again every game next season?

How would you feel to be the only AR QB to lose every game you started for 3+ years?  This would be detrimental to the mental health of the kid.  But I don't see CBB doing something different.  So what if he starts BA for the first 1/2 the season and he loses every SEC game before he gets yanked?  In that case it might even be worse for his mental stability as an adult. 

BA will be lucky to come out of college and not be a little self-destructive.  We've killed this kid's confidence.

What if BA gets every snap during our next game?  Shouldn't that be our more immediate concern?

Baller

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 12:04:59 pm
What if BA gets every snap during our next game?  Shouldn't that be our more immediate concern?

Well of course he will.  CBB would never yank him.

I'm saying there's a good chance that BA has to go through life as the only D1 QB to have ever lost every conference game he ever started, while starting at least 2 full seasons. 

That would crush him.  It would almost be kinder to the boy if CBB would make a change before he risks slapping BA with that Scarlet "L" he'd have to wear for life!

Things are worse, the more I think about them.

This is not a good situation. 

Corkscrew Johnson

Some of you guys can't see the forrest for the trees.   Last years record is irrelevant, as is what happened under JLS.  All that matters is the foundation and the future, and those are rapidly heading in the right direction.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 02, 2014, 12:08:56 pm
Some of you guys can't see the forrest for the trees.   Last years record is irrelevant, as is what happened under JLS.  All that matters is the foundation and the future, and those are rapidly heading in the right direction.

Are you talking about Forrest Tucker or Forrest Gump? I think you might be able to see Gump but Forrest was no stump. He was tall enough to get lost in the trees.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 02, 2014, 09:50:19 am
Are you saying that will happen, or should happen?

I'll say again what I have said all along...if we go 4-8 and 0-8, Bielema will not be fired.

Will not

I think we'll go 0-8. Bielema will still be our coach. When those two things happen, I'll be interested to read your take.

Wilson is right.  Any game we win will be an upset.  Ole Miss is the most likely.

All 8 SEC opponents, with exception of possibly A&M and Missouri, are better on paper then Arkansas this year.  In spite of that, we have been competitive in every one, even Georgia if you take away 4 turnovers.

Bielema isn't going anywhere unless it's voluntary. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

tophawg19

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 11:38:19 am
There are bound to be some who don't care about this "perfect storm" which is the only reason CBB is 0-fer. 

The people crying perfect storm believe that something is happening which has never happened before in college football, that the odds are simply insurmountable, and that almost no coach could have done any better.

There will be some people who call BS on that, and when you combine their voices with modern history, Jeff Long may have no choice, buy out or no.
The boosters that matter are smart enough to see why we are struggling and are happy with the results on the field . fighting the no.1 and no.5 teams to a stand still . they know where we are and where we started . they aren't ignorant like some fans are
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Baller

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 02, 2014, 01:06:38 pm
The boosters that matter are smart enough to see why we are struggling and are happy with the results on the field . fighting the no.1 and no.5 teams to a stand still . they know where we are and where we started . they aren't ignorant like some fans are

I was very proud of our team yesterday.  I was crushed by the heartbreaking loss and some of the play calling, but we fought tooth and nail.  MSU didn't have a very good day, but we came out believing we could win, and we played very hard.

GoHogs1091

Coach Bielema will get next year even if we finish 0-3.  It is probably a 2 year pass that he is getting.  He could though have to win at least 8-9 games next season in order to get a 4th season.  His system will totally be in place next season, and most of the Roster next season will be his players.

A University simply cannot afford for a "rebuild" to take longer than 3 seasons.  Decreased donations and decreased attendance will end up costing a University more than a buyout.

If a change has to be made after next season, Coach Bielema may have to go back to being a Defensive Coordinator in the Little 9/Big 1 Conference, or if he wants to continue to be a Head Coach, he may have to get a head coaching job in a Conference such as the Sun-Belt Conference.

Gonzo

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 11:33:53 am
Do all the major boosters agree with you?

No idea, thus my inclusion of "imo". All our ballyhoo on here is pure speculation either way. I would be tremendously surprised if he lost the job this year outside of another off the field situation like the demise of the last coach. I can very easily believe he might be on a much shorter leash next year. I don't think he has a bulletproof blanket through another season.

Go Hogs! Beat LSU!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 10:22:19 am
It didn't happen.  He is making up darn. 

Orgeron was 10-25 with a 3-21 record in sec play in his 3 years at ole miss. 

He was 1-7 in his first year in sec play
He was 2-6 in his second year
His last year he was 0-8 and then fired. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Gonzo

Quote from: Danny J on November 02, 2014, 11:42:42 am
Since this entire thread is nothing but speculation I will say 100% for sure that if he starts his career 0-24 in the SEC he will be fired after his third season no matter the buyout.

I just don't see us losing that many straight games. No way. I still think we have a good chance to win out IF we try a few different things on offense. We won the first half yesterday because our special teams were great in the first half and our defense played very well. We will put it together.

0-24 would be starting 0-4 in the conference next year I think, in other words halfway through the season. I don't think the move would be made until the end of the season, and the second half of the season would play a big role in that. If however, you're talking about going 0-fer in the SEC for the whole season next year, I would agree I don't think he would survive that.

Go Hogs! Beat LSU!

Gonzo

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 02, 2014, 12:08:56 pm

How naive. The record is never irrelevant, never. There are times when other factors weigh in more than usual and the record isn't everything, but the record is never irrelevant.

Go Hogs! Beat LSU!

elkhog

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 09:18:57 am
If anyone can think of any somewhat-storied program, say, one just hovering inside the top-25 or better, that has hired a new coach who has gone on to lose every conference game for his first 2 years in a row and STILL be retained for year 3, please list it/them!!

I can't think of one and it's starting to scare me that we may not have history on our side.  The last thing this program needs is another regime change!  But will Long be forced to make that call, based on pressure from history?

If we go 0-3, we've made history.  Again.
GO HOGS!!!

RedRock

Baller

With 3 rent-a-wins plus Texas Tech, we don't really have much of a chance of regressing.  The worst I can see is a repeated 4-win season.  So in that way it is different than Oregeron, who regressed by a game in his 3rd year, although Oregeron did have 3 SEC wins under his belt when he was fired..

hawgon

I honestly don't think we're all that much better than we were last year.  Well, the defense is much better and that is the difference, but the offense is exactly the same.

Last year, with the exception of the Alabama and South Carolina games where we got completely blitzed, every SEC game was pretty much like all of these have been.  We would play solidly, be very close or take a lead into the 4th quarter, and figure out a way to piss it away in the end.

When you figure that our last game last year was at LSU where we gave away a game against a ranked opponent in the last few minutes, we are pretty much at the exact same spot with the development of our program.

BB's tenure with regard to SEC games is like Groundhog Day over and over.

razorbackkid

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 09:52:49 am
Wins are all that matters.   Money may be the driving force behind keeping him around for a portion of 2015.  But again, show me a coach that was able to keep his job when he couldn't win one conference game for two consecutive seasons.

Show me a coach that is rebuilding a program and has faced 5 top ten conference opponents other than Coach B.

Coach has us going in the right direction, we just aren't good enough yet to pull our ship into port.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgon on November 02, 2014, 03:05:02 pm
I honestly don't think we're all that much better than we were last year.  Well, the defense is much better and that is the difference, but the offense is exactly the same.

Last year, with the exception of the Alabama and South Carolina games where we got completely blitzed, every SEC game was pretty much like all of these have been.  We would play solidly, be very close or take a lead into the 4th quarter, and figure out a way to piss it away in the end.

When you figure that our last game last year was at LSU where we gave away a game against a ranked opponent in the last few minutes, we are pretty much at the exact same spot with the development of our program.

BB's tenure with regard to SEC games is like Groundhog Day over and over.

We're not much better.  If at all.

jared72404

This team is way way better than last years team. If you cant see how much we've improved, I don't know what to say. If we improve as much in the off season this year as we did last, we will win several SEC games next year.

hawgon

Quote from: jared72404 on November 02, 2014, 03:45:42 pm
This team is way way better than last years team. If you cant see how much we've improved, I don't know what to say. If we improve as much in the off season this year as we did last, we will win several SEC games next year.

Why yes, we might actually improve enough to win a whole one or two SEC games next year.  Man, BB is really getting it done here.

IntegrityHog

If you're a real fan, these posts can be very frustrating.  They are a shallow, thinly-veiled attempt at undermining what Bret and Jeff are trying to accomplish here.

It is lunacy to even THINK about evaluating CBB before the end of next season.  Even that is too soon, in my opinion.  Most reasonable fans on here know that this is a 5-6 year rebuild. 

Personally, I am going to withhold judgment on CBB until after the 2018 season, which will be his first full year with his own 5th-year seniors (the 2012 recruiting season doesn't count).  That said, I think we could start to see some real progress next year, with another non-conference sweep and maybe a couple of SEC wins.  That would mean that we play in the 2015 Independence or 2015 Liberty Bowl.  If we fall a little short in 2015, we ought to be a shoe-in for a bowl in 2016.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 02, 2014, 09:31:41 am
CBB isn't going anywhere unless in year 3 he pulls a 1-7, 0-8 out of the hat. His buyout is too much to handle and still hire a good coach.

Chaney is history....so I hope. Him as an OC in the SEC has been a disaster here and at Tennessee. I think we need a new WR coach as well.

The seat that will be getting hot is Jeff Long. There are some big money boosters that would like to run him out of town. As much as I can't stand Long( who I feel is the main cause of our problems ), I don't want those big money boosters picking the next AD either. Would like to see Dr. Rochelle get a shot.

Maybe you need to read Richard Davenport's article today on the regard Chaney is held by Blue Chip linebacker Porter Gustin's dad. I could name twenty more college and pro coaches who say the same things. If I were a betting man I would bet that Chaney is still here in year five when we go to a major bowl. I hope you experts who have never coached a down are still here. I will be.

Baller

Quote from: IntegrityHog on November 02, 2014, 04:19:08 pm
If you're a real fan, these posts can be very frustrating.  They are a shallow, thinly-veiled attempt at undermining what Bret and Jeff are trying to accomplish here.

It is lunacy to even THINK about evaluating CBB before the end of next season.  Even that is too soon, in my opinion.  Most reasonable fans on here know that this is a 5-6 year rebuild. 

Personally, I am going to withhold judgment on CBB until after the 2018 season, which will be his first full year with his own 5th-year seniors (the 2012 recruiting season doesn't count).  That said, I think we could start to see some real progress next year, with another non-conference sweep and maybe a couple of SEC wins.  That would mean that we play in the 2015 Independence or 2015 Liberty Bowl.  If we fall a little short in 2015, we ought to be a shoe-in for a bowl in 2016.

The problem with that, Integrity, is that no other decent program gives that much leeway to a new coach to go 0-fer in back to back seasons and then only make the Independence Bowl. 

Dan stinkin Mullen had Mississippi stinkin State in the Gater Bowl and WON the thing in his 2nd year with less talent on his team than Coach Bret had when he stepped on campus. 

Malzahn took a 3-win team to the National Championship game.  Freeze turned around a HDN-dumped-on Ole Miss and had them at #3 and in the playoff picture until Malzahn beat him yesterday.  The list goes on. 

So I can see how fans are impatient over an unprecidented back-to-back 0-fer, no matter the excuses.

At the same time, I'm not sure who we could get who is better than Bret, so this is probably the best we could do, and I'm okay with that, even though it breaks my heart.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 02, 2014, 09:20:19 am
Let's wait until we go 0-3 to discuss.

Very doubtful. I could see 3-0 before 0-3

hawgon

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 02, 2014, 04:30:16 pm
Maybe you need to read Richard Davenport's article today on the regard Chaney is held by Blue Chip linebacker Porter Gustin's dad. I could name twenty more college and pro coaches who say the same things. If I were a betting man I would bet that Chaney is still here in year five when we go to a major bowl. I hope you experts who have never coached a down are still here. I will be.

Chaney won't be here that long whether he is fired or not.  He needs another round in the NFL in order to get an NFL pension and you can bet that is a box he will check before he retires, even if it is just as a position coach or glorified quality control water boy.

Baller

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 02, 2014, 04:32:51 pm
Very doubtful. I could see 3-0 before 0-3

What about 0-13 makes you be able to see 3-0 before 0-3?  We've yet to win one single game!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 04:31:39 pm
The problem with that, Integrity, is that no other decent program gives that much leeway to a new coach to go 0-fer in back to back seasons and then only make the Independence Bowl. 

Dan stinkin Mullen had Mississippi stinkin State in the Gater Bowl and WON the thing in his 2nd year with less talent on his team than Coach Bret had when he stepped on campus. 

Malzahn took a 3-win team to the National Championship game.  Freeze turned around a HDN-dumped-on Ole Miss and had them at #3 and in the playoff picture until Malzahn beat him yesterday.  The list goes on. 

So I can see how fans are impatient over an unprecidented back-to-back 0-fer, no matter the excuses.

At the same time, I'm not sure who we could get who is better than Bret, so this is probably the best we could do, and I'm okay with that, even though it breaks my heart.

No other program has faced the situation we have. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

texas tush hog

November 02, 2014, 04:53:50 pm #129 Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:19:06 pm by texas tush hog
Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 04:34:11 pm
What about 0-13 makes you be able to see 3-0 before 0-3?  We've yet to win one single game!!!

The fact we just played the #1 team in the nation off their feet on their field and fighting the inevitble home cooking given to # 1 teams in this conference. The last time we had an open date at home, we almost beat an Alabama team we had no business being on the same field with. I believe this time we show Lester what it's like in Fayetteville and Ole Miss is fading fast, especially without Laquan Treadwell and I felt we beat Mizzou from the get go. Like the Dos Equuis man says "stay negative my friend, stay negative".

Baller

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 04:42:27 pm
No other program has faced the situation we have.

Some people don't understand that.   They'll point to the fact that A&M can barely beat ULM by 5 points and that we can't score in the 4th quarter to save our lives or win a game.  They'll point to the consistent inability to finish when we start out so strong.  Then they'll say that's on the coaches.  Instead of depth and talent at QB.

Magic_Hogg

This year seems like a teaser.  If we could win those close games think of where we would be.  But we have to start winning at some point.  I don't think for the powers that be that BB has to win this year - okay I will be honest I do not expect to win against any of the last 3.

But I think next year we have to win - something.

And, I think we are all getting tired of the year after year excuse of "wait til next year nothing can be done about our situation just yet."   How many people.here have taken a job where that was the philosophy.  That has to - at some point - stop.

And, God Forbid, we go SEC winless again next year and get a new coach.  No one, and I mean no one, will be in the mood for another 4-year rebuilding excuse.

We're constantly rebuilding.  Constantly.   Don't other programs just call it recruiting and running a D1 program?    What is it about us that it has to be Groundhog Day year after year, game after game?

Baller

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 02, 2014, 04:53:50 pm
The fact we just played the #1 team in the nation off their feet on their field and fighting the inevitble home cooking given to # 1 teams in this conference. The last time we had an open date at home, we almost beat an Alabama team we had no business being on the same field with. I believe this time we show Lester what it's like in Fayetteville and Ole Miss is fading fast, especially without Laquan Treadwell and I felt we beat Mizzou from the get go. Like the Dos Equuis man says "stay negative my fiend, stay negative".

I would just caution you to not get your hopes up, so you too don't defect to the anti-CBB crowd before we can get to next year where we have a better shot at winning SEC games.

Cinco de Hogo

I don't expect to win another game this year.

I know CBB ain't getting fired for another two three years regardless...

If however that were to happen I know a couple people who should be forced to fork over the buyout money for forcing Jeff Long to fire CBP because they couldn't get warm and fuzzies with him.

Specially after Dallas.

Baller

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 02, 2014, 05:08:05 pm
I don't expect to win another game this year.

I know CBB ain't getting fired for another two three years regardless...

If however that were to happen I know a couple people who should be forced to fork over the buyout money for forcing Jeff Long to fire CBP because they couldn't get warm and fuzzies with him.

Specially after Dallas.

What happened in Dallas?  More women?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 05:09:29 pm
What happened in Dallas?  More women?

Bobby was Bobby during the Cotton Bowl trip. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Spikes

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2014, 05:11:31 pm
Bobby was Bobby during the Cotton Bowl trip. 

A winner!!  Dang sure miss seeing the hogs ranked in the top 10 and winning
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 05:17:29 pm
A "Not" joke!!!   I thought they were extinct!!!

Seriously, did he get wasted or something?  Never knew Bobby to drink..  Thought he just worked and screwed.

He was supposedly rude to Cotton Bowl workers.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 05:17:29 pm
A "Not" joke!!!   I thought they were extinct!!!

Seriously, did he get wasted or something?  Never knew Bobby to drink..  Thought he just worked and screwed.
He pissed off some Cotton Bowl higher-ups with his Carnegiesque people skills.

Baller

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 05:19:39 pm
He was supposedly rude to Cotton Bowl workers.

What kind of workers?  What did he do?

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 02, 2014, 05:19:49 pm

Higher-ups?  How?  Why did I never hear about this?  And what did he do?  All I remember is completely shutting down K-State.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 05:22:28 pm
What kind of workers?  What did he do?

Higher-ups?  How?  Why did I never hear about this?  And what did he do?  All I remember is completely shutting down K-State.

I heard he was short and terse during an interview.  I really don't know the entire story because I've never heard the interview.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Spikes on November 02, 2014, 05:12:59 pm
A winner!!  Dang sure miss seeing the hogs ranked in the top 10 and winning

It will happen again. 

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Spikes on November 02, 2014, 05:25:20 pm
History does repeat itself.

History tells me if CBB accomplishes that we will fire his butt.  That's history repeating itself! LOL

Baller

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 02, 2014, 05:24:29 pm
I heard he was short and terse during an interview.  I really don't know the entire story because I've never heard the interview.

Well no wonder I never heard of it.  No story.  So some reporter got his feelings hurt?  Bobby was there to win a football game, and he did!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 05:28:51 pm
Well no wonder I never heard of it.  No story.  So some reporter got his feelings hurt?  Bobby was there to win a football game, and he did!

I guess he was difficult with some higher ups as well.  Which to me, means nothing.

It'll be interesting to see how Beilema is talked about here in a year or two.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 04:57:18 pm
I would just caution you to not get your hopes up, so you too don't defect to the anti-CBB crowd before we can get to next year where we have a better shot at winning SEC games.

As long as this bunch keeps punching the right buttons I will be here for the duration. I'm not much of a defector. The only time I sat on the fence was during the HDN years and I just suffered through. My daughter was a student trainer during Ford's last two years and Nutt's first three and she saw right through him. I was against him from the get go. Lou Holtz hated him with good reason, and I could add a lot more, and none had anything to do with the Springdale kids.

bigbadhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 02, 2014, 05:19:49 pm

Don't care - he was paid to win games and that is what he did at the Cotton Bowl...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

HogRocket

Quote from: Baller on November 02, 2014, 09:55:00 am

But the point can be made that we've been losing to better and better teams, since GA played lights out against us and we nearly beat #1 MSU yesterday. 

Well...that one would have looked better if Florida hadn't eviscerated Georgia yesterday.

Baller

Quote from: HogRocket on November 02, 2014, 09:11:38 pm
Well...that one would have looked better if Florida hadn't eviscerated Georgia yesterday.

Florida has immense talent on all sides of the ball.