Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS top 100 players: two hogs/17 players the hogs will face

Started by popcornhog, October 30, 2014, 09:55:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/24773610/cbssportscoms-top-100-players-in-college-hoops-for-2014-15

36. BOBBY PORTIS (ARKANSAS)

Portis was one of the more underrated players in the nation after his freshman season. He's all-around star that can knock down midrange jumpers consistently, run in transition, get to the rim on a post up, and swat shots away near the basket. If the Razorbacks make the NCAA Tournament for the first time in seven years, it'll be on his broad shoulders. -- SV

93. MICHAEL QUALLS (ARKANSAS)

There are few more athletic players in the NCAA than Qualls, an elite leaper with great lateral quickness. If the jumper improves into the 40 percent range this season, he could become an all-SEC player with NBA potential. -- SV

-----Players that we face-----

92. JARVIS SUMMERS (OLE MISS)

91. JORDAN SIBERT (DAYTON)

84. NIC MOORE (SMU)

78. DORIAN FINNEY-SMITH (FLORIDA)

73. ALEX POYTHRESS (KENTUCKY)

69. ANDREW HARRISON (KENTUCKY)

65. MARKUS KENNEDY (SMU)

47. JARELL MARTIN (LSU)

46. MICHAEL FRAZIER (FLORIDA)

43. CHRIS WALKER (FLORIDA)

41. TREY LYLES (KENTUCKY)

37. DAKARI JOHNSON (KENTUCKY)

31. JORDAN MICKEY (LSU)

24. AARON HARRISON  |  KENTUCKY

15. WILLIE CAULEY-STEIN |  KENTUCKY

7. GEORGES NIANG  | IOWA STATE

6. KARL TOWNS  |  KENTUCKY

WPS

HogFaninMemphis

If Qualls is the 93rd-best player in the country this year, he'll be a much-improved player and we'll be a much-improved team.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Very interesting.

I hope Qualls becomes more of a Rodman-style defender and rebounder role player.  Don't want him taking a lot of jumpers.

Of course this means we would need a couple of guys to step up this season and be scorers.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

AirForceHog

Seems a bit low for both of those guys. But of course I have hog colored glasses on right now.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

intelligence

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 31, 2014, 12:41:37 am
Very interesting.

I hope Qualls becomes more of a Rodman-style defender and rebounder role player.  Don't want him taking a lot of jumpers.

Of course this means we would need a couple of guys to step up this season and be scorers.
Thank god u aren't our coach

Quote from: intelligence on October 31, 2014, 02:53:25 am
Thank god u aren't our coach

Don't think my opinion was so far off as to deserve that.

I definitely agree that the fact that I'm not the coach is a good thing.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

intelligence

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 31, 2014, 03:06:40 am
Don't think my opinion was so far off as to deserve that.

I definitely agree that the fact that I'm not the coach is a good thing.

He's got range, just needs to be more consistent with his form. That's my opinion atleast. He's made a number of contested js, but people seem to only remember him for the dunks

Quote from: intelligence on October 31, 2014, 03:24:57 am
He's got range, just needs to be more consistent with his form. That's my opinion atleast. He's made a number of contested js, but people seem to only remember him for the dunks

Right.  After thinking about it more, I do remember him hitting some key 3's.  His game is solid all around, and his raw athleticism makes him even more valuable.  I have no problem if he proves me wrong.  You will find no bigger fan of Qualls than I.

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Breems

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 31, 2014, 12:41:37 am
Very interesting.

He was shooting in the 40s (perhaps even close to that behind the arc) until conference play hit and someone turned off his switch.

It depends on which Qualls we get all year, but he may still be a viable 3rd option behind Madden and Portis.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Peter Porker

I'm excited to see how this team performs. Looks like we have all of the parts now to make the real tournament.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

popcornhog

Quote from: Breems on October 31, 2014, 11:02:35 am
He was shooting in the 40s (perhaps even close to that behind the arc) until conference play hit and someone turned off his switch.

It depends on which Qualls we get all year, but he may still be a viable 3rd option behind Madden and Portis.

That was what I was wondering -- I'm not saying that Madden or Qualls should've or shouldn't have been on the list. But how is Qualls ahead of Madden?

That's not a knock on Qualls -- he's one of my all time favorites. But I think of him as option #3.
WPS

BRHogfan

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 31, 2014, 03:51:32 am
Right.  After thinking about it more, I do remember him hitting some key 3's.  His game is solid all around, and his raw athleticism makes him even more valuable.  I have no problem if he proves me wrong.  You will find no bigger fan of Qualls than I.

You are a rare breed!  You responded positively to a not very positive comment and came up with what I believe to be the right conclusion.

I will say it is frustrating that his best night in a Razorback Uniform featured 5-14 from the field shooting 1-4 from beyond the arc.  He finished with 18 points because of 7 free throws and a huge putback dunk to beat Kentucky.

You also have him going 6-13, 4-8, and 0-0 against Mizzou.

Go figure.

intelligence

Quote from: BRHogfan on October 31, 2014, 01:28:44 pm
You are a rare breed!  You responded positively to a not very positive comment and came up with what I believe to be the right conclusion.

I will say it is frustrating that his best night in a Razorback Uniform featured 5-14 from the field shooting 1-4 from beyond the arc.  He finished with 18 points because of 7 free throws and a huge putback dunk to beat Kentucky.

You also have him going 6-13, 4-8, and 0-0 against Mizzou.

Go figure.
There wasn't anything negative about my comment. Just blunt. Also, that wasn't Qualls best performance. My favorite was the return trip to ky. He's to streaky, that's what u can say about Qualls. He's streaky, has insistent form(see vandy airballs) and appears to take plays off occasionally. Doesn't mean he should stop shooting jumpers.

choppedporkextrasauce

I'd rather have Qualls than many of those listed above him. I am not sold on either Harrison twin.

intelligence

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on October 31, 2014, 10:33:07 pm
I'd rather have Qualls than many of those listed above him. I am not sold on either Harrison twin.
I agree. Qualls excelled fro lm midrange this season. He's got the step back j on lock and can shoot contested shots . People swoon over Portis and Maddens pedigree and for good reason they are gamers with high bb IQ. but I can't have a best player argument without thinking of Qualls. While madden and portis are givens for consistency, Qualls is elite when he's on his game, and even while struggling offensively shootng the ball he effects  games I ways you old farts often seem blind to. In both Kentucky games, Qualls dominated the early going. I don't give a damn about perception, if you score 8 straight on the road @ Kentucky to start the game, then follow it up with back to back steals resulting in highlight reel breakaway slam dunks you're pretty damn good, even if you're as raw as qualls

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on November 01, 2014, 12:53:49 am
I agree. Qualls excelled fro lm midrange this season. He's got the step back j on lock and can shoot contested shots . People swoon over Portis and Maddens pedigree and for good reason they are gamers with high bb IQ. but I can't have a best player argument without thinking of Qualls. While madden and portis are givens for consistency, Qualls is elite when he's on his game, and even while struggling offensively shootng the ball he effects  games I ways you old farts often seem blind to. In both Kentucky games, Qualls dominated the early going. I don't give a damn about perception, if you score 8 straight on the road @ Kentucky to start the game, then follow it up with back to back steals resulting in highlight reel breakaway slam dunks you're pretty damn good, even if you're as raw as qualls

As the list states, he's potentially an nba talent. I agree with your points.

However, I have him at #3 on this team due to inconsistency.
WPS

WarPig88

I don't know what to think about this list honestly.

Guys who haven't even played yet are rated extremely high.

Portis, who is a 1st rounder, is rated at a spot where he could potentially go undrafted after you figure in the European players into the mix.

It's a list and makes for some good conversation though.

intelligence

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 01, 2014, 10:22:34 am
I don't know what to think about this list honestly.

Guys who haven't even played yet are rated extremely high.

Portis, who is a 1st rounder, is rated at a spot where he could potentially go undrafted after you figure in the European players into the mix.

It's a list and makes for some good conversation though.
These lists don't mean much to me in regards to port is. He looked like a 1st rounder the other night and madden and Qualls looked good too. I really like this team

Adam Stokes

I think it is fair to say that Bobby may not be a top 25 player in the league.  Does that mean he won't  be a lottery pick?  No.   A lot of upperclassmen ARE better than Portis right now.   He has a ton of potential but sometimes players like a Greg McDermott or a Jimmer we will much more valuable than someone who can make it in the NBA.  (Of course Greg could still blow up the NBA, we'll wait and see.)  Not too offended by the ranking.