Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collins

Started by checkraiser88, October 30, 2014, 10:17:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

It's time for him to have a huge game! I feel like it's coming this weekend. He's got loads of talent and I feel like if he has a huge game this weekend then we can come out with a W! The Hogs O-line can keep us in any game this year against any opponent. Now Collins has a had a decent season, but I feel like he's poised for a break out game with 200+ yards. He's great at reading blocks and finding the hole. I feel like opposing defenses are starting to give us a little more respect to our passing game with Allen at this point in the season and it's time to make them pay for it. Ground and Pound baby! I'm out..:)

PORKULATOR

I agree dude. If AC has a big game, we take down #1.
Wps
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PorkRinds

I know everyone has a "source", but I've been told that Collins is very frustrated and feels like he's not getting the blocking he needs, or even the same level of blocking that JWill gets consistently.  It could be him making excuses, and I can't say that's an absolute fact, but that's what I've been hearing.

tophawg19

he hasn't been running as hard lately . I've been wondering if he was banged up .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hollywood_HOGan45

AC really hasnt had a good game since Texas AM.

He's way overdue.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 30, 2014, 10:26:15 am
I know everyone has a "source", but I've been told that Collins is very frustrated and feels like he's not getting the blocking he needs, or even the same level of blocking that JWill gets consistently.  It could be him making excuses, and I can't say that's an absolute fact, but that's what I've been hearing.

I hope your sources are incorrect.  Williams and Collins are different types of runners.  The last thing we need is dissension within the team with one guy thinking the line isn't blocking as hard or as well for him as they do for someone else.

Just my opinion, but Williams is the best back on the team.  He's both stronger and faster than Alex.  That's not to say that Collins isn't a very good back, but rather that Jonathan Williams is exceptional.

Wooderson

Collins looks out of shape and slow this year compared to JWill.  The fact is JWill is a much better athlete while Collins has better vision.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 30, 2014, 10:53:56 am
I hope your sources are incorrect.  Williams and Collins are different types of runners.  The last thing we need is dissension within the team with one guy thinking the line isn't blocking as hard or as well for him as they do for someone else.

Just my opinion, but Williams is the best back on the team.  He's both stronger and faster than Alex.  That's not to say that Collins isn't a very good back, but rather that Jonathan Williams is exceptional.

Sheesh....Yea just what we need in the program.

More drama.

PORKULATOR

He's also got an extra year against SEC teams. JWill is better, but Alex is so damn likable.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PorkRinds

I'd love for it to be untrue as well.  I did see Alex get pretty upset with the line a couple of times in the last couple of games.  I just hope that whatever the issue is, he can get it together and still have a good rest of the season.  Again, I can't claim that is 100% true.  It's complete hearsay, but from someone I trust is close enough to know. I just hope he gets his head worked out, because that seems to be a big part of it.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: MSMHawg on October 30, 2014, 10:49:52 am
Non factor, disappears against SEC teams

Against SEC teams this year:

48 Carries
243 Yards
3 TDs

12 carries per game
60 yards per game
5.1 average per carry

Not too bad. He definitely hasn't looked that great the past couple games but he has faced some pretty dang good defenses as well.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 30, 2014, 10:56:34 am
Sheesh....Yea just what we need in the program.

More drama.

I don't think it's to that level at this point.  Just something that needs to be worked through.  It's human nature to try and point fingers if things aren't going like you had hoped, especially for teenagers. 

DoctorSusscrofa

I think AC -just like everyone else - is frustrated and disappointed things haven't gone better in year 2. I expect either we'll finally win and get the monkey off our backs or we don't and a guy like Collins starts to wonder if he should have gone elsewhere.  I think it's natural for losing to create frustration, disappointment, and doubts. And winning tends to make everybody feel better - which improves comfort and confidence.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Bacon_Bitz

I think both are super talented, but J-Will can make more out of less blocking because he runs so dang hard.  Now Collins will never be a bruiser like J-Will, but I do think he can take a look at how hard J-Will has been working and realize he's got to step up his own game with his own style of play to make things happens, even if that means making more out of the blocking he is getting.

But regardless, Alex had a fine game game against UAB, and has done well all year, including in SEC play, except against Bama and Georgia, when the quarter-length suspension and then fumbles plagued him.  I think he'll bounce back fine.

If there is some truth to this source, that's fine too, guys need to talk these things out sometimes, better than letting it fester.

lstewart

Agree that AC seems a little slower and sluggish this year. My son wondered if it is the same thing that happened to Felix Jones in the NFL, try to bulk up some and add weight, which maybe cost him a step or two of quickness. Also hope he gets it rolling and has some great games down the stretch. Seems like JWil is clearly the main man now though.

Hogfaniam

Bama and Georgia for sure, yet he's ahead of last year's production. 

The fumbles have kept him off the field thus reducing carries, thus reducing the big runs that all good backs get at some point in a game.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

PorkRinds

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on October 30, 2014, 11:00:51 am
I think both are super talented, but J-Will can make more out of less blocking because he runs so dang hard.  Now Collins will never be a bruiser like J-Will, but I do think he can take a look at how hard J-Will has been working and realize he's got to step up his own game with his own style of play to make things happens, even if that means making more out of the blocking he is getting.

But regardless, Alex had a fine game game against UAB, and has done well all year, including in SEC play, except against Bama and Georgia, when the quarter-length suspension and then fumbles plagued him.  I think he'll bounce back fine.

If there is some truth to this source, that's fine too, guys need to talk these things out sometimes, better than letting it fester.

I agree with all of that.  Losing breeds frustration, as another poster said.  I don't think it's a massive problem, just something that needs to be worked through. 

MSMHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 30, 2014, 10:59:26 am
Against SEC teams this year:

48 Carries
243 Yards
3 TDs

12 carries per game
60 yards per game
5.1 average per carry

Not too bad. He definitely hasn't looked that great the past couple games but he has faced some pretty dang good defenses as well.

15th in the SEC

Wooderson

I hope the coaches put together some film of Leveon Bell to show what getting in shape can do for a rb.  It has took Bell from a serviceable NFL back to a top five back.  Alex and Leveon have very similar running styles and athletic ability.  It is all up to the kid to not fumble and develop himself in every way possible.

He seems like a great kid, but from all these reports it seems he hasn't adopted the professional mind set he needs.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

rhames

I don't know if this is true but I did see Collins get in the face of an oline men after a series in the second half last weekend. Jwill had to pull him away.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Boston RedHogs

I haven't reviewed game film on this to be 100% certain, because I have a life...

But, just going off recall, it does seem that AC gets met by defenders in the backfield more often than Williams preventing him from making that first move, which is what makes AC so freakin dangerous!

If the O-line gets push against the Dogs, and AC has space to maneuver, he'll have a great game.

Go Hogs!  WPS!

Hogfaniam

This thread had me look at espn stats on williams and Collins.  I found something disconcerting about our play calling (shocking I know).  When we are behind by 8-14 points, the carries for each guy basically disappear.  We crap our pants and start throwing willy nilly. 

Boarcephus

The Oline could not care less about who the RB is because if they don't block they get their butts sat on the bench.  I can see Collins being frustrated but he has to keep in mind he's playing some pretty stiff competition. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Atlhogfan1

Our last two SEC games were against defensive lines and LBs better than our oline plus UGa brought a DB in to come off the edge as well. 

He was suspended for part of the Bama game and fumbled which took some of his carries and Walker got them. 

Alex wasn't a "fast" RB last season and we talked about it then and through the offseason.  It is a reason why so many became enamored with Marshall.  Alex has made bigger runs this season and looks to be no slower. 

MSU is very deep and will rotate in dlinemen.  Not sure this is the weekend Alex has a breakout SEC game. 

I have no idea if he is upset or not.  I do know some of you overthink and overreact to small sample sizes and fail to acknowledge situation or competition. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 30, 2014, 11:06:03 am
I haven't reviewed game film on this to be 100% certain, because I have a life...

But, just going off recall, it does seem that AC gets met by defenders in the backfield more often than Williams preventing him from making that first move, which is what makes AC so freakin dangerous!

If the O-line gets push against the Dogs, and AC has space to maneuver, he'll have a great game.

Go Hogs!  WPS!

Watch the defense coming off the edge.  It's sickening how often they catch our guys from behind before they clear the line of scrimmage.  And it just keeps happening.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 30, 2014, 11:13:07 am
The Oline could not care less about who the RB is because if they don't block they get their butts sat on the bench.  I can see Collins being frustrated but he has to keep in mind he's playing some pretty stiff competition.

Agree completely.

onebadrubi

I have a source that B Allen feels the same way.  You don't need a source to see this.  It's not Williams is getting better blocking, nor kody, it's our Oline has just been there as good since A&M.  Even the UAB game the sideline reporter said she overheard Pittman tell the Oline in the 3rd qtr "either you finish this game the right way or I'll put someone in that will". 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 30, 2014, 11:22:33 am
I have a source that B Allen feels the same way.  You don't need a source to see this.  It's not Williams is getting better blocking, nor kody, it's our Oline has just been there as good since A&M.  Even the UAB game the sideline reporter said she overheard Pittman tell the Oline in the 3rd qtr "either you finish this game the right way or I'll put someone in that will".

Right.  It's becoming clear that what we thought was one of our strengths, the Oline, is actually one of our weaknesses.  Not because we don't have good linemen, but because they are YOUNG.  You really want your linemen to be redshirt juniors and seniors if at all possible.  These young guys are good players, but they take time to develop past what their natural abilities are.  For instance Skipper is a MAN at run blocking, but his pass blocking isn't great.  Most of them are likely similar in that they are really good at some things but aren't fully developed in others.  As the lines get better, the team will improve significantly. 

1highhog

No doubt about it, at this point JWill is the better back to have in the game and can carry the load.  Anyone that can turn around and churn their legs and push 3 guys backwards giving the Oline time to get over and help push him forward like they do with JWill has my complete respect.  That'll wear on a defense more than anything and take the spirit out of them.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 30, 2014, 11:26:47 am
Right.  It's becoming clear that what we thought was one of our strengths, the Oline, is actually one of our weaknesses.  Not because we don't have good linemen, but because they are YOUNG.  You really want your linemen to be redshirt juniors and seniors if at all possible.  These young guys are good players, but they take time to develop past what their natural abilities are.  For instance Skipper is a MAN at run blocking, but his pass blocking isn't great.  Most of them are likely similar in that they are really good at some things but aren't fully developed in others.  As the lines get better, the team will improve significantly.

Also, keep in mind what Bielema has to say about Swanson last year (the QB of the line).  He was the best college center coach B has ever coached (might have said scene).  That is saying something.  We were able to pull him often as a large FB.  This put him on a DE and let Keiro take out a LB.  We are now using Henry and derby, no knock on either but it's just not the same. 

Collins is going to have too make his holes the DMAC and Dennis Johnson way, get the pad level low and hit it hard

Hogtimes

I agree...Williams is the best back.  I Remember last spring the debate on this board on who was going to the best back.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 30, 2014, 11:37:12 am
I agree...Williams is the best back.  I Remember last spring the debate on this board on who was going to the best back.

Marshall!!!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 30, 2014, 11:30:35 am
Also, keep in mind what Bielema has to say about Swanson last year (the QB of the line).  He was the best college center coach B has ever coached (might have said scene).  That is saying something.  We were able to pull him often as a large FB.  This put him on a DE and let Keiro take out a LB.  We are now using Henry and derby, no knock on either but it's just not the same. 

Collins is going to have too make his holes the DMAC and Dennis Johnson way, get the pad level low and hit it hard

Yep.  All factors.  Maybe Ragnow can be that guy at some point.  We can all hope.

HoggusMaximus

I think they are equally matched but jwill is stronger and harder to bring down.  But having said that regardless of what anyone thinks collins is playing his heart out.  He runs every play like he is trying to go 99 yards.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on October 30, 2014, 11:55:08 am
I think they are equally matched but jwill is stronger and harder to bring down.  But having said that regardless of what anyone thinks collins is playing his heart out.  He runs every play like he is trying to go 99 yards.

Agreed. He's giving his all to the fans and the team. 

WarPig88

AC is an easy kid to pull for.

If he is level headed he will break out eventually because the guy is still very talented.

sickboy

sickboy

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 30, 2014, 11:10:41 am
This thread had me look at espn stats on williams and Collins.  I found something disconcerting about our play calling (shocking I know).  When we are behind by 8-14 points, the carries for each guy basically disappear.  We crap our pants and start throwing willy nilly. 

That's normal. You can't grind out a win when you're down 8-14 pts, there isn't time.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: sickboy on October 30, 2014, 12:11:33 pm
That's normal. You can't grind out a win when you're down 8-14 pts, there isn't time.

You can win if you score, get a stop, and score again. No reason to go all pass-happy at the beginning of the fourth quarter.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

In the situations where we have been down this season, each of those defenses had taken away our running game.  Again, circumstance and situation is being overlooked. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cartoon Man

I hope he hangs onto the ball.

NMMIHog

FWIW this is what I saw Saturday in the 4th quarter. After AA's 1st or 2nd series AC, was stuffed at the line on 3rd down. I could hear him yelling  as he came off the field. He walked down to where the linemen sit and continued yelling . Finnaly DK stood up and started jawing back. He sat down and as AC was walking away still jawing, BC stood up and was giving AC and earfull.

Hogsmo Kramer

To me it's 100% mental with AC.

Everyone on the team is frustrated with losing it's how you handle that frustration that makes the difference.

I like AC and think he's a great back but he's gotta sort out the mental aspect if he wants to be great.

Gotta own the challenge and not let the challenge own you.

Edit: For the record I also don't mind AC getting on the lineman. If they're not doing their job and getting whipped they should hear about it IMO. Maybe not on the sidelines but they should hear it nonetheless.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

gmarv

I think he,ll be fine just needs to have a good game then all will be forgottenit has to be very frustrating when things ain,t going like you think they should.much rather have a poed player than one who doesn,t seem to care.

devildoghawg

I called out that the Oline wasn't blocking for Collins unless it was a 1st and goal and everyone heckled me...it's happening, and I would guess it's his lack of commitment to taking care of his body and his off the field issues that probably cost them the Bama game.  He's a special young man, but he's got some problems he needs to fix.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

sickboy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 30, 2014, 12:14:34 pm
You can win if you score, get a stop, and score again. No reason to go all pass-happy at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Of course... it just depends on the scenario/situation. I'm just saying it's not unusual to see a run oriented team down in the fourth quarter start chucking the ball.  If we're only down 8 points, I wouldn't change our attack. But if we're down 14 in the 4th, I would, depending on how our run game was doing up until that point. But that's just me. A guy who isn't a football coach.

TeufelHog

Collins is fine!  I believe our opponents have figured out some of his tendencies in the film room though.  Has anyone else noted how he has a tendency to stay to the inside after he gets past the line of scrimmage?  Many times bouncing to the outside has been WIDE OPEN RUNNING SPACE.  He trends to stay mid-field A LOT!

He's good to go!  Gonna break it wide open this weekend on Miss State!

Tim Harris

They both are averaging just over 5 yards a carry against SEC opponents this year & last year.  Not really sure how anyone could say one disappears or that one is definitely better than the other.

rude1

Wonder does he blame the line for his lack of ball security too? AC in his short time here has had some very crucial fumbles that have greatly impacted games that could have been wins. Maybe if he concentrated on that the line, team, and coaching staff would feel better about the ball being in his hands.

bigred223

He's been in a slump, hope he gets his head right this week. This team needs him.