Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which win over the #1 team in the nation was most notable to you?

Started by Sweet Feet, October 29, 2014, 06:13:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which beating of the #1 team was the sweetest of all?

1964 vs Texas
46 (22.1%)
1965 vs Texas
6 (2.9%)
1981 vs Texas
75 (36.1%)
2007 vs LSU
81 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Sweet Feet

Figured in light of playing one this Saturday, this question seemed appropiate

BatesvilleHOG

07 versus LSU. It was the only game I was alive to see out of the four and is easily the biggest victory in Razorback sports I've witnessed.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HognVA

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 29, 2014, 06:15:40 pm
07 versus LSU. It was the only game I was alive to see out of the four and is easily the biggest victory in Razorback sports I've witnessed.

Biggest victory in Razorback SPORTS? You can't put that ahead of the 94 NCAA Championship game Vs Duke.

texas tush hog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 29, 2014, 06:15:40 pm

Definitely makes you a Nutt Hugger.

Hawgzinbowlz

Little Lou + The Hogs, stompin' a mud hole in Austin's finest.

" GO HOGS "

phadedhawg

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: HognVA on October 29, 2014, 06:34:43 pm
Biggest victory in Razorback SPORTS? You can't put that ahead of the 94 NCAA Championship game Vs Duke.

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 29, 2014, 07:14:57 pm
Definitely makes you a Nutt Hugger.

I was born in July of 94 so I didn't get to witness that one either. And kiss my tush, Texas tush.

JaketheSnake

No excuses... You could have listened to it.
Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 29, 2014, 09:17:28 pm

I was born in July of 94 so I didn't get to witness that one either. And kiss my tush, Texas tush.

EastexHawg

Texas was not only ranked #1...and not only were they the defending national champions..but they had only lost one regular season game in almost four years when we beat them in Austin in 1964.  In my opinion Kenny Hatfield made the biggest play in Arkansas history when he returned a punt 81 yards for a TD and Ronnie Caveness recorded an incredible 25 tackles that night to knock off the reigning champion and win the biggest college football game of the year.

PonderinHog

We destroyed Texas in '81.  We could do no wrong. It was beautiful.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

greenie

81 vs Texas

Certainly the biggest, most exciting game I've ever witnessed live.  Gary Anderson, Billy Ray Smith, et al put a whoopin' on the horns.  Dickson Street took weeks to recover.

moses_007

Best, and most exciting Hog victory ever, was the 1965 win over Texas.  Texas was leading, 24-20, with six minutes left in the game and punted to Arkansas, which started from around its own 20 yard line.  Our quarterback, Jon Brittenum, staged the best comeback in Razorback history.  He took the team right down the field, mainly throwing short sideline passes to Bobby Crockett.  Texas couldn't stop us.  We scored right at game's end and won, 27-24.  Greatest football game I've ever seen!!!

Calling All Hogs

1981 was my favorite because I was there. It could be argued that 2007 was the most notable because it helped Nutt land the Ole Miss job which made it easier to get rid of Nutt here and it helped set Ole Miss, an SEC West rival, back a few years.

Razorfox

vs LSU.

I was either not born or old enough to care about any of the others. 

skbhog

rupert

The 1965 Texas game was one of the best Razorback victories ever...After the somewhat unexpected victory the year before and our undefeated season in 1964, expectations were so high..Texas was spoiling for revenge and was number 1...The Hogs went ahead early, Texas stormed back and then the great end of the game drive to beat the mighty Longhorns was fantastic...ABC game of the week with Chris Schenkel

MJ2

1981 win over Texas.   An unforgettable night in and around Dickson Street.    If only we had phones with cameras then....    Anyone got any pictures of that night they would like to post?

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Hogwild

rickm1976

Quote from: MJ2 on October 30, 2014, 07:51:53 am
1981 win over Texas.   An unforgettable night in and around Dickson Street.    If only we had phones with cameras then....    Anyone got any pictures of that night they would like to post?

No, but I was there too.  It was electric.  I saw all four victories either live or on TV, and the 81 stomping of Texas wins hands down, with the 65 win a close second.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Sooie Fidelis

'07 LSU

Drove down to Red Stick with my son and watched one of the best games I've ever seen...live or on TV.  The best block by a QB and the best post game interview...we brought dat wood!

Drove from there to WMS and watched Fayetteville beat Har-Ber for the State Championship.

Drove from WMS to Stuttgart and duck hunted for 2 days.

...best 4 days of my life.

JONAS

2007 LSU game.  I was not born when we played Texas in the 60s, and I was not watching the Hogs in 1981.  I became a Hog fan in 1986.

Hollywood_HOGan45

LSU in 2007 only because I was not alive in 1981.

Let me say that this wasn't a typical big win to me. We still had Houston Nutt and we were coming off a VERY disappointing season that year. We underachieved big time with big time talent on offense. The Houston Nutt cloud surrounding the program was too much. I loved the win for the kids that put on the helmet but a MUCH MUCH bigger win to me would have been 2009 vs Florida (if not for Curles) or 2010 vs Alabama.

hogsanity

Has to be 64, and I was not alive for it. Has to be that one thought because it led to the Hogs only football NC.

81 was a really good, always good to embarrass #1 on National Tv ( back when that meant you were the only game on ), and 07 was just a really good football game, showcasing some really great players, but it led to nothing for the Hogs, and in the end did not hurt LSU.

65 - It was at home, and the Hogs were ranked really high as well, but that season ultimately ended in disappointment.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

We were 3-4 in conference games when we played LSU in 2007.  It was great to beat LSU...just because they're LSU...but little to nothing was on the line for us so I don't even rank it among the top ten Hog wins I've witnessed.

1highhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2014, 08:48:52 am
Has to be 64, and I was not alive for it. Has to be that one thought because it led to the Hogs only football NC.

81 was a really good, always good to embarrass #1 on National Tv ( back when that meant you were the only game on ), and 07 was just a really good football game, showcasing some really great players, but it led to nothing for the Hogs, and in the end did not hurt LSU.

65 - It was at home, and the Hogs were ranked really high as well, but that season ultimately ended in disappointment.

The 60's were really a big disappointment to me even though we won the title in 64.  After 64, they changed the rules because of the AP giving their share to Bama who got beat in their bowl game, in 65 we go undefeated, beating everyone in the regular season, having the Nations longest winning streak, until our Bowl game, we get matched up against an inferior LSU team and we lose.  But with the new rule change, we get nothing of the Title.  Then in 69 we lose to Texas, the worst defeat I've ever felt, the 60's hurt so much because we were close to being a dynasty with having a sure 3 titles and end up with only one.  The only time we come close to a title since then was Lou's 1st year when we man handled the Sooners, we got a small, very small part on the National Title, so small that it's never mentioned.

HF#1

2007 was great because everyone knew Nutt was out the door. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogwild6700

The win against LSU in '07 was nice but it was the only one I was alive to see. I remember being worried that Nutt was somehow going to keep his job after that win.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

PORKULATOR

I was 10 in 81 when we beat Texas. I was old enough to be pumped up from that game, but the 07 LSU game, I threw a party for that one. I had a 2'x8' sign that said F___ LSU in the yard, a few great friends and some kind reefer... Great day
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MJ2

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 30, 2014, 08:02:38 am
No, but I was there too.  It was electric.  I saw all four victories either live or on TV, and the 81 stomping of Texas wins hands down, with the 65 win a close second.

I speculate the birth rate in NWA 9 months after that night was pretty high. Who was born in July'82?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 29, 2014, 10:08:36 pm
Texas was not only ranked #1...and not only were they the defending national champions..but they had only lost one regular season game in almost four years when we beat them in Austin in 1964.  In my opinion Kenny Hatfield made the biggest play in Arkansas history when he returned a punt 81 yards for a TD and Ronnie Caveness recorded an incredible 25 tackles that night to knock off the reigning champion and win the biggest college football game of the year.

The first Texazz (spit)  games I remember were 64, 65, 66.  I just took it for granted you beat Texazz (spit)
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

GolfnHog

Quote from: Razorfox on October 30, 2014, 06:07:56 am
vs LSU.

I was either not born or old enough to care about any of the others. 

I've been alive for all of them and remember them all. What I remember the most is the disappointment in my Granddad's eyes in the '64 game and the sheer joy he had in the '65 game.

Now that you are old enough, try and enjoy some of the History that the Hogs have been a part of and maybe you'll find enough history to care about.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

WarPig88

Who keeps voting for LSU?

Seriously, that game meant nothing. They fired Nutt a week later. That's how much that win was worth to the history of this program.

64 by far.

ua_hogs

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 30, 2014, 03:30:21 pm

Seriously, that game meant nothing. They fired Nutt a week later. That's how much that win was worth to the history of this program.

64 by far.

People like myself who weren't alive to witness the others.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: ua_hogs on October 30, 2014, 03:33:17 pm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=arkansas+razorbacks&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aarkansas+razorbacks

Good place to start reading up on Razorback History.

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

WarPig88

Quote from: ua_hogs on October 30, 2014, 03:33:17 pm

The world was turning long before then.

razorbacker3

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 30, 2014, 01:33:37 am
1981 was my favorite because I was there. It could be argued that 2007 was the most notable because it helped Nutt land the Ole Miss job which made it easier to get rid of Nutt here and it helped set Ole Miss, an SEC West rival, back a few years.

I was also at the 81 game.  It was definitely the most surprising and enjoyable of the games although Texas in 1981 was the latest in a line of teams that year to have been #1 and lost and that Texas team was very over rated.  The situation that year most closely may resemble this year in the MSU could go down this week and might not be the last #1 to fall.

The 64 Texas team was probably the most legit of all the #1's even more so than LSU which kind of stumbled into a title no body else seemed to want in 2007.  Texas went on to finish the year without another loss and of course dethroned Bama in the Orange Bowl to open the door for Arkansas to claim the title.

That 65 Texas slumped after losing to Arkansas and finished 6-4 but that was doubtless one of the greatest RRS victories of all time.

As a contest the come from behind win in 65 was great but as a pure game the 2007 contest was the best.

ua_hogs

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 30, 2014, 03:55:06 pm
The world was turning long before then.

Sure it was, but the question was which win was the most notable to YOU.  The 1964 was the most notable for the program.  Notable to me, not really, I wasn't alive.

1highhog

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 30, 2014, 03:27:47 pm

I've been alive for all of them and remember them all. What I remember the most is the disappointment in my Granddad's eyes in the '64 game and the sheer joy he had in the '65 game.

Now that you are old enough, try and enjoy some of the History that the Hogs have been a part of and maybe you'll find enough history to care about.

Why was your Grandpa sad in 64?

1highhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 30, 2014, 03:30:21 pm

64 by far.

It shows I guess how many youngsters that's on the Board.  That LSU game meant nothing and we didn't even spoil LSU's chance at a BCS Title which was Bullshap.  We haven't played a meaningful game in years, in fact so many years that a whole generation hasn't seen one.

ChicoHog

Quote from: MJ2 on October 30, 2014, 07:51:53 am
No kidding.  I was there also and now regretfully I have to say I left Dickson early(at the Bulls Eye Pub) with the girl I was dating at the time to go back to my apartment.  Even though that was fun I should have stayed longer on Dickson when my roommates told me the next day what happened. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 29, 2014, 11:37:47 pm
We destroyed Texas in '81.  We could do no wrong. It was beautiful.
this...my brand new bride and I were there...she 19 years old and beautiful, and I, 20 years old and thin, full head of hair and the world by the tail....only bad thing about the trip was the tornado warnings/watches before the game...believe it or not, hardly a soul left even after we had them by 25 to 30 with the clock winding down in the game...what I remember is the students tearing down the North endzone goal post and Lou running out there in his white shirt with the red sweater pulled over and the double knit white and red checked pants, yelling at the crowd (what looked to be 2k or so) and they actually stopped....briefly
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

MJ2

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 30, 2014, 11:28:21 pm
No kidding.  I was there also and now regretfully I have to say I left Dickson early(at the Bulls Eye Pub) with the girl I was dating at the time to go back to my apartment.  Even though that was fun I should have stayed longer on Dickson when my roommates told me the next day what happened. 

The events of that day & night would make a great book if someone could gather the recollections of the persons involved.   Much of it shouldn't be repeated on here, but anonymous memories in a book would be astounding.   Wonder if the newspapers had much coverage about Dickson that night?

Razor1997

LSU is the only one I'm old enough to remember.

Still voted 1964 because of the historical implications, though.

GolfnHog

Quote from: 1highhog on October 30, 2014, 11:04:01 pm
Why was your Grandpa sad in 64?

Crap, I brain cramped. In my haste I was thinking the '69 game and not the 64 game.  Hell, CRS (can't remember sh**) has entrenched itself in me!

Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"