Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mississippi in the top four playoff teams?

Started by vandybuff, October 29, 2014, 05:50:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vandybuff

Isn't this just 'wrong'?  And don't you think these are equal if not better choices than Mississippi:  Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, maybe Mich State or T C U. 
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

CDBHawg

Quote from: vandybuff on October 29, 2014, 05:50:52 pm
Isn't this just 'wrong'?  And don't you think these are equal if not better choices than Mississippi:  Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, maybe Mich State or T C U.

Too early to care.

Team 1 still plays team 4.
Team 3 still plays team 4.
Team 4 still plays teams 1 & 3.

It will work itself out.

Danny J

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 29, 2014, 05:53:49 pm
Too early to care.

It will work itself out.
^^^^ yep

I will also note that Ole Miss has beaten Bama

vandybuff

Too early to care.

It will work itself out.

While I agree, I am curious 'why release a poll now' .... or, honestly, 'why ever release a poll'

Sweet Feet

Ole Miss has a stronger SOS than all of those teams im sure. Not to mention they beat bama

vandybuff

Quote from: Danny J on October 29, 2014, 05:55:00 pm
^^^^ yep

I will also note that Ole Miss has beaten Bama

..... after their loss to LSU, ""you're selling but I am not buying"" :)

nonamer66

They were force to stick them at #1 because of those previous polls showed them there.

Atlhogfan1

Alabama yes.  I think Bama is a better team on a neutral field.  STs failed them in Oxford. 

Ole Miss' defense has to this point shown to be better than those other teams' with the exception of Michigan St. 

Ole Miss has a great win and their loss was not a "bad" loss in any way.  10-7 at LSU. 

TCU is the team in this group that doesn't belong.

ND's schedule is letting them down.  Stanford outplayed USC and has lost more than they should have to this point.  UNC looks like a middle of the pack Big 12 team which isn't surprising since Fedora was OC for Gundy - good offense and horrible defense.  No issue with Ole Miss being ahead of ND.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: vandybuff on October 29, 2014, 05:55:38 pm
While I agree, I am curious 'why release a poll now' .... or, honestly, 'why ever release a poll'

Multiple reasons. One is so we'll discuss it on a message. Any publicity is good publicity.

popcornhog

Ole Miss, Oregon, Auburn, Michigan State, Bama. These teams all have a legit argument.

ND and TCU are hurt by SOS.

It hurts Bama and Michigan St that they've lost to other teams that they're competing with for a spot.
WPS

Danny J

October 29, 2014, 06:17:53 pm #10 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:48:29 pm by Danny J
Quote from: vandybuff on October 29, 2014, 05:57:38 pm
I hear ya and I truly believe that on a neutral field Bama wins that game 80% of the time. However we simply can't ignore the fact that they both have one loss and Ole Miss already beat Bama.

popcornhog

Quote from: Danny J on October 29, 2014, 06:17:53 pm
I hear ya and I truly believe that on a neutral field Bama wins that game 80% of the time. However we simply can't ignore the fact that they both have one loss and Ole Miss already lost to Bama.

Ole Miss did no such thing.
WPS

Danny J

Quote from: popcornhog on October 29, 2014, 06:39:55 pm
Ole Miss did no such thing.
MY bad...I meant beat Bama. I will go back and correct it now.

Hogwild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 29, 2014, 05:59:39 pm

Ole Miss' defense has to this point shown to be better than those other teams' with the exception of Michigan St. 

Ole Miss allowed  just 53 combined points against Bama, LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee, & Vandy

Michigan State allowed 77 points to just Oregon & Purdue.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: nonamer66 on October 29, 2014, 05:59:12 pm

They were force to stick them at #1 because of those previous polls showed them there.

Forced?   They slaughtered auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU.  LSU made it look like a game when MSU took out its starters.  There is no team right now with a better resume than MSU.  They deserve to be number 1. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

popcornhog

Quote from: Danny J on October 29, 2014, 06:48:17 pm
MY bad...I meant beat Bama. I will go back and correct it now.

Haha, makes more sense now.
WPS

Hogwild

Notre Dame SOS will be fine by the end of the season, with 1 loss I think they get in, they picked a great year to scale back their Big10 games.

PAC12 Stanford, AZ State, USC
ACC Fla State, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse
Big 10 Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue

That's 10 games against Power 5 conference schools, and the two "BS games" are against Rice & Navy. Not only is neither one is a FCS school, both are going to be bowl teams for the 2nd year in a row.

texas tush hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 29, 2014, 06:53:10 pm
Forced?   They slaughtered auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU.  LSU made it look like a game when MSU took out its starters.  There is no team right now with a better resume than MSU.  They deserve to be number 1. 

Without a doubt they deserve to be ranked # 1, but don't be surprised if Alabama wins the West, the SEC Championship game and the College Football Playoff. Since we scared the bejeebers out of them they have been nothing short of phenomonal. The road to the national Championship still goes through TuscalooSaban.

EastexHawg

Ole Miss will be out of the picture by Saturday night.

texas tush hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 29, 2014, 07:41:21 pm
Ole Miss will be out of the picture by Saturday night.

Have a tendency to agree, Bo Wallace is a loser.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 29, 2014, 07:26:31 pm
Without a doubt they deserve to be ranked # 1, but don't be surprised if Alabama wins the West, the SEC Championship game and the College Football Playoff. Since we scared the bejeebers out of them they have been nothing short of phenomonal. The road to the national Championship still goes through TuscalooSaban.

I wouldn't be surprised, but forced to be there is kind of a slap at their success this year so far.   We would be pissed to hear that if we were in the same position. 

Alabama is a very good team and they get Mississippi State at home.  So I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama was even favored against them. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 29, 2014, 08:07:30 pm
I wouldn't be surprised, but forced to be there is kind of a slap at their success this year so far.   We would be pissed to hear that if we were in the same position. 

Alabama is a very good team and they get Mississippi State at home.  So I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama was even favored against them. 

If Alabama can beat LSU on a Louisiana Saturday Night in Baton Rouge, their last three games are at home. Even with Gurley back, I think they beat Georgia in the SEC Championship. Once outside the conference they are home free. It's tough in Death Valley on Saturday night (voodoo) but if they win that game you can gift wrap the NC trophy and mail it to Saban's office.

ChicoHog

On Brando's show today it was discussed that what if MSU had played another non-conference cupcake instead of Oregon?  Would they be in the top 4 because they would be undefeated but not played anyone significant yet with the possible exception of Nebraska?  Or would the committee see that and keep them out of the top 4?  Is it better to play a very tough road game against a strong power 5 team like Oregon and lose or be undefeated against a lesser team?  I don't know that answer.  Hopefully they will reward teams for playing tough non-conference schedules so we will keep seeing these great inter-conference games.  Will be interesting to see as the season goes on. 

pigbacon

Yes, the BCS had it's issues and having a playoff is just right for football. However, I suspect in the next few years we may realize that the BCS wasn't that terrible. I never understood it all that great, but wondered why the BCS formula couldn't have been incorporated and meshed with the playoff, eliminating the committee? I'd prefer it that way, not some panel of self proclaimed unbiased football gurus.

TheGunther

Why Alabama? Why should they get anything more than a Poke in the eye? I hope they land at #5 and are on the outside looking in.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

texas tush hog

Quote from: TheGunther on October 29, 2014, 09:05:16 pm
Why Alabama? Why should they get anything more than a Poke in the eye? I hope they land at #5 and are on the outside looking in.

Only if they win out, and only LSU has a chance. Only because it's death valley. It is physically impossible for them to finish #5. They are either top 2 or out of the top 10.

rljjr

In no world is TCU a top 4 team. Great offense, but check the competition. Horrible defense, check the competition. They can sling it for certain, but there is no way they can sustain a lead, nor is there any way they can destroy a good defense. Just my opinion, and I'm not using statistics. Just eyes and a bias against the Big 12 opponents so far. I see at least one more loss coming for the Horned Frogs.  In fact, I don't think the Big 12 gets anyone in because I think their best team will have two losses. But hey, that's why they play the games. I think the only team with a real shot is KSU.

Hogwild

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 29, 2014, 09:10:24 pm
Only if they win out, and only LSU has a chance. Only because it's death valley. It is physically impossible for them to finish #5. They are either top 2 or out of the top 10.

if they lose to LSU, but come back and beat 2 of the top 3 teams in the nation (Auburn & Miss. St) they will without a doubt finish the regular season in the Top 10

Biggus Piggus

Ole Miss has defeated

Alabama (7-1)
Texas A&M (5-3)
Boise State (6-2)
Memphis (4-3)
Louisiana (4-3)
Tennessee (3-5)
Vanderbilt (2-6)

and barely lost on the road against LSU.

Alabama, having lost head to head, is not equal to Ole Miss.

Oregon - best win was what - UCLA (6-2)? Michigan State (7-1)? They lost at home to Arizona (6-1). The Ducks allowed 41 points to Cal, 31 to Washington State, 30 to UCLA.

Notre Dame - seriously? Their best win was three-loss Stanford, and they lost to a Florida State team that's unbeaten only because of a crappy schedule.

Michigan State - did you see Oregon? They lost by 19.

TCU - Lost 61-58 at Baylor. Does a team that gives up 58 in one game, any game, deserve to be in the conversation? Best win? Oklahoma, but gosh the schedule's padded with crap. No worry, they will lose at West Virginia this weekend.

The current rankings are based on accomplishments to date, and you can't argue with Ole Miss's wins. Their one loss was far more impressive than the losses that Oregon, Notre Dame, Michigan State and TCU took. Far more. If Ole Miss beats Auburn, Arkansas and Mississippi State, then they'll deserve to be in the final four.
[CENSORED]!

WarPig88

No TCU and Mich st are not that good.

I think the committee was brilliant in this first version of the rankings. The truth is that these are arguably the best teams but that they will have to beat one another in order to stay in that position. These teams will eliminate themselves as the season progresses and there will not be an issue anymore.

The SEC either have one undefeated team or a single one loss team after the SEC championship game.

The only chance for the whiners to get angry will be if a two loss SEC team is put in the playoff over a one loss team from another conference.

texas tush hog

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 30, 2014, 12:15:52 pm
No TCU and Mich st are not that good.

I think the committee was brilliant in this first version of the rankings. The truth is that these are arguably the best teams but that they will have to beat one another in order to stay in that position. These teams will eliminate themselves as the season progresses and there will not be an issue anymore.

The SEC either have one undefeated team or a single one loss team after the SEC championship game.

The only chance for the whiners to get angry will be if a two loss SEC team is put in the playoff over a one loss team from another conference.

A one loss Alabama team will face off with a one loss Miss State team in a rematch of the November 15th shootout in Tuscaloosa and Saban wins again. In the mean time, Ole Miss loses to Arkansas, Georgia and Miss State for an 8-4 season and Freeze is blindsided, pun intended.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 29, 2014, 06:51:30 pm
Ole Miss allowed  just 53 combined points against Bama, LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee, & Vandy

Michigan State allowed 77 points to just Oregon & Purdue.

Michigan State is 6th in the nation in total defense right now.  Ole Miss is 9th.  Ole Miss' tougher schedule and better wins has correctly put them above Michigan State. 

Ole Miss deserves to be where they are based on what they have done so far. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

John Futrall

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 30, 2014, 12:50:35 pm
Michigan State is 6th in the nation in total defense right now.  Ole Miss is 9th.  Ole Miss' tougher schedule and better wins has correctly put them above Michigan State. 

Ole Miss deserves to be where they are based on what they have done so far. 

Agree. I give the slight edge to Ole Miss over a one loss Oregon/MichSt/TCU.  And, again...we're talking about October 28th. 
Truth be told, I think that Michigan State will end up in the final 4, along with Florida State, the Iron Bowl winner, and Oregon.

HiggiePiggy

I don't see Oregon making it.  They will lose another game probably at Utah. 

Hogarusa

It sucks to see that Ole Miss beat Bama and now people are arguing "well if they would have played on a neutral field..." 

I cant believe Hog fans are saying this.  A win is a win is a win is a win
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HF#1

It doesn't matter right now.  At least 2 of the four will lose another game or two.  Wouldn't surprise me if Alabama was the last man standing for the SEC.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 30, 2014, 02:07:23 pm
It sucks to see that Ole Miss beat Bama and now people are arguing "well if they would have played on a neutral field..." 

Who said this? 

In a rematch which would happen on a neutral field, it is my opinion that Bama is a better team, would be favored to win and would win.  Bama should be ranked near Ole Miss now which they are which addresses the OP's question. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 30, 2014, 02:07:23 pm

Like Oxford is some kind of fearsome home field advantage.
[CENSORED]!

mhuff

MS will probably lose some credibility when we beat them on their field.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: pigbacon on October 29, 2014, 08:35:41 pm
Yes, the BCS had it's issues and having a playoff is just right for football. However, I suspect in the next few years we may realize that the BCS wasn't that terrible. I never understood it all that great, but wondered why the BCS formula couldn't have been incorporated and meshed with the playoff, eliminating the committee? I'd prefer it that way, not some panel of self proclaimed unbiased football gurus.

Or maybe part of the greatness of college football is that it doesn't lend itself to a "champion".  It never needed it, and you can't really show it, especially if you have rematches.  And that's ok.  Part of the joy of the sport is the endless arguments.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

code red

The 4 team poll is a farce...until the championship games are played.  It's practically crap until then.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

vandybuff

Quote from: code red on October 31, 2014, 09:44:12 am
The 4 team poll is a farce...until the championship games are played.  It's practically crap until then.

But it sells ads ..... and isn't that the point of all sports? 

hogsanity

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 31, 2014, 09:32:26 am
Or maybe part of the greatness of college football is that it doesn't lend itself to a "champion".  It never needed it, and you can't really show it, especially if you have rematches.  And that's ok.  Part of the joy of the sport is the endless arguments.

On that we agree. I really liked the old bowl format. I liked that outside of 5 main ties ins
(SWC to cotton, Big8 to Orange, SEC to Sugar, pac10 and big10 to Rose) the other bowls could pick who they wanted and schools could pick if they got multiple bids. If the Liberty Bowl wanted a 4 win Hog team, so what? If the Gator wanted a 5 win FLA team, or a 5 win ND team, it is their bowl, they can invite who they want.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

texas tush hog

Quote from: mhuff on October 30, 2014, 05:52:54 pm
MS will probably lose some credibility when we beat them on their field.

Ole Miss will lose a lot of credibility with four losses.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: vandybuff on October 29, 2014, 05:57:38 pm

I love how LSU loses two games and now all of sudden they are a slouch.  Regardless of record LSU is tough to beat at home at night.  Oh yeah and those two loses are to current #1 and #3.

Justifiable Hogicide

Their football team (Bears? Rebels? Land Sharks?) is almost as overrated as "the Grove".

Dominicanhog

Too early to care.

It will work itself out.

agree... there are no gmmies in the SEC and still 1/2 season.... same on National scene, this could be a year like LSU in 09, winning it with 2 losses..... FSU may lose in the championship game and still have the best record. A lot of teams play big games long before they reach the final.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on October 31, 2014, 11:32:09 am
I love how LSU loses two games and now all of sudden they are a slouch.  Regardless of record LSU is tough to beat at home at night.  Oh yeah and those two loses are to current #1 and #3.

strange but if they beat Alabama at home this week, they could still play in the secc game.. AU and MSU could each lose 3 more times...