Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In your opinion, is it too late to burn a redshirt?

Started by BatesvilleHOG, October 29, 2014, 05:21:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorcash2

Maybe someone should ask Houston Nutt this question.

yocdaddy

There is definitely a fine line.  It is probably too late for pulling the red-shirt off a punt returner that may have a couple opportunities per game to actually return kicks.  You figure 4 or 5 punts per game, a couple are more than likely fair caught or not caught.  If he could also help in the passing game, that is a different story.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

texas tush hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 30, 2014, 09:16:21 am
Wait, are you saying George Blanda isn't in the NFL Hall of Fame ???   ;)

Yes but he was also a pretty good quarterback. Stenurud was a pure placekicker.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 30, 2014, 09:18:43 am
I think you have to consider the kids wishes.

I believe he said if it was a factor with JoJo that he would be asked his wishes.

thirrdegreetusker

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 29, 2014, 05:21:00 pm
It's week 9 and:

Vandy is on their fourth QB
Driskel sucks
LSU doesn't know what the hell is going on at QB
Arkansas can't field a punt

Is it worth it to burn redshirts this late in the season? I understand that all the situations are different so discuss.

I don't think a person should take a short-sighted approach to building anything because "Band-Aid" approaches are only temporary. Also, know that a player can redshirt any year.   

Hogwild

Quote from: hoghiker on October 30, 2014, 09:02:40 am
Saban is a great coach but burning a redshirt post season seems out of line for whats best for a kid. Just a thought and not an argument.

I don't recall the kid's name, but his quote after the game about burning his RS is why I remember it.

"I play for the name on my helmet, not the name on the back of my jersey."

PonderinHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 30, 2014, 09:59:28 am
Yes but he was also a pretty good quarterback. Stenurud was a pure placekicker.
Yeah, I know, but I had to give George his props.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 30, 2014, 10:19:04 am
Yeah, I know, but I had to give George his props.

One of my favorite NFL players of all time, I really appreciate him now that I am in my sixties and realize he was still playing. Well actually 48 but seems like he was 60. LOL

texas tush hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 29, 2014, 09:41:58 pm
Are you indicating that Texas High School coaches will hold it against Bielema that he redshirted Hedlund? If so why would they care? It's not like Bielema kicked the kid off the team or has written him off.

Not if he gets a chance, you are talking like McFain is entrenched and will sit him next year too.

hogsanity

It is too late to burn a red shirt for any other reason than that player is all you have left at a particular position.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Country Stylz

Good Lord yes. Who plays someone the last 1/3 of the season when you're 4-4. I guess if you're desperate to get to a Liberty Bowl. It would be very Nutt.2 like if we play JoJo or Peavy.

DoctorSusscrofa

At this point no one has a clue whether burning a RS would actually accomplish anything more than we can accomplish without doing so. If we knew for certain it would, then maybe we burn it - especially if we knew burning it wins 2 or 3 games (or 4). But without knowing four games left is a short time to benefit if the benefit is not certain.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Country Stylz

I guess if it mean't we go 8-4 then yes you burn it. I retract my last statement.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Country Stylz on October 30, 2014, 11:03:35 am
Good Lord yes. Who plays someone the last 1/3 of the season when you're 4-4. I guess if you're desperate to get to a Liberty Bowl. It would be very Nutt.2 like if we play JoJo or Peavy.

JoJo could possibly be the difference in winning or losing our last three games if he can do what many say. If that is the case, I believe Bielema gives him the option of burning the shirt and what kid would refuse, given he probably wont be here a fifth year anyway. If he can help us to a bowl game, dang right it's worth it. We will know the answer Saturday night, I don't think it drags out past that.

1highhog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 29, 2014, 05:21:00 pm
It's week 9 and:

Vandy is on their fourth QB
Driskel sucks
LSU doesn't know what the hell is going on at QB
Arkansas can't field a punt

Is it worth it to burn redshirts this late in the season? I understand that all the situations are different so discuss.

Heck yeah!

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 30, 2014, 11:25:30 am
JoJo could possibly be the difference in winning or losing our last three games if he can do what many say. If that is the case, I believe Bielema gives him the option of burning the shirt and what kid would refuse, given he probably wont be here a fifth year anyway. If he can help us to a bowl game, dang right it's worth it. We will know the answer Saturday night, I don't think it drags out past that.

Actually, we'll know Friday if he gets on the airplane.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 30, 2014, 11:31:49 am
Fair enough if that's what happened.

Based on what we've seen out of the position, in your opinion has this staff helped Brandon Allen progress as a quarterback from where he was 2 years ago? 

Are you underwhelmed by our performance at that position, or think there are bigger factors leading to our inability to pass the ball late in games when needed?
I've posted many times on this board that if you want to start listing problems with this football team Brandon Allen is way down on the list.

Yes I think he has progressed. I think he will continue to progress and unless he gets injured he will quarterback this team through the end of next season.

Some fans are confusing what they want with what they've got. Maybe they want Dak Prescott as their starting QB. They don't have that and starting one of the other two freshmen on this team would be a disaster.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 30, 2014, 02:56:00 pm

Some fans are confusing what they want with what they've got. Maybe they want Dak Prescott as their starting QB. They don't have that and starting one of the other two freshmen on this team would be a disaster.

I don't think they know what they want.  They throw out stuff like " A qb that throws his receivers open ", or " uses his feet as a weapon ", or "can make the hard deep throw".  Funny thing is, they want to put in a TR FR, on the road at the #1 team in college football, just to see if he, having not played a competitive down anywhere in almost a year, has those things.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorsharptusk

Quote from: Danny J on October 29, 2014, 08:04:46 pm
I will also add that during a interview today, maybe yesterday, when asked about being nervous he said without hesitation.....nope. It was not so much the words he used but the way he said them. That kid is really confident in his abilities and I for one LOVED hearing him speak. Talk about confidence.

And who does that remind you of...Hocker.
GO HOGS!!

razorsharptusk

October 30, 2014, 03:39:18 pm #70 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:04:44 pm by razorsharptusk
So, what do you do if your the head coach when next year you have a QB battle between B. Allen, A. Allen, and Peavey competing for a the starting QB spot?  Obviously somebody is getting ticked off. 

I know coach is pretty vocal on playing the player that can get the job done on the field,  but he sure sings B. Allen's praises a lot right now.  Could he/would he start a better, though inexperienced, Peavey over a 2 year starter in Allen, if it turns out that way?  And if Peavey doesn't start, does he and or A. Allen transfer knowing Storey is coming in?

It's awesome to have the competition at the position, but it could be a tough decision.
GO HOGS!!

skbhog

Rzbakfromwaybak

October 30, 2014, 06:11:30 pm #72 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:21:39 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: texas tush hog on October 29, 2014, 07:55:53 pm

So if McFain turns out to be our kicker, what do you do with Hedlund?

Same thing you do with our other QB's that aren't starting.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

lefty08

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 05:54:16 pm
The Hedlund redshirt is very confusing... has to be more to that story than needing more time to mature physically.

It's possible he asked to redshirt
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

texas tush hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 30, 2014, 02:56:00 pm
I've posted many times on this board that if you want to start listing problems with this football team Brandon Allen is way down on the list.

Yes I think he has progressed. I think he will continue to progress and unless he gets injured he will quarterback this team through the end of next season.

I have been a very vocal proponent of Brandon Allen. Has he made some mistakes, yes, but so has Bo Wallace, Jennings of LSU, Blake Sims at Alabama and Mason at Georgia, but they have a better supporting cast, for the most part Brandon Allen has been exceptional. Criticize him all you want, but the coaches have voted and BA is the winner. He will, barring injury, be our qb next season and most on here will eat their words when we win 8 or more games and go to a good bowl. This is the best coaching staff we have had since 1977 and although they drive me crazy over special teams and kicking, that will be fixed next year, I have no doubt. Help is on the way in the receiving corps and in the secondary and both lines. I will be 100% behind them this year and next, win or lose. I think the days of losing are short lived though, and BA will be leading the charge. Stay tuned.