Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida offers JUCO WR Dominique Reed Per 247

Started by ArKan5a5 KiD, October 29, 2014, 03:35:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArKan5a5 KiD

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Gators-offer-a-pair-of-JUCO-prospects-32449781

Sure hope this is a positive sign as far as his grades go. I watched Dominique since his HS days at CF. Would love to see the hometown kid finally end up at Arkansas.

MH04

Love seeing all of our recruits with these big time offers

ArKan5a5 KiD

gumbohog

Thx for the info guys

I've read a lot about Reed lately --- and he sounds like a stud

But out of curiosity, why didn't we hear much about him 2 years ago? I know grades had to be one issue but usually we still hear about physical studs...at least on this recruiting board???

Thanks in advance for any info

GrizzlyRider07

Is it already a for sure thing that if his grades are good that he is coming here or is it more of everyone hoping that? Has he said he is coming here already?
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

ArKan5a5 KiD

From the conversations we've had via Twitter and such he said he's trying to make it to the hill. So from all I've heard he will be a Razorback if he makes the grades.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on October 29, 2014, 09:53:53 pm
From the conversations we've had via Twitter and such he said he's trying to make it to the hill. So from all I've heard he will be a Razorback if he makes the grades.

Will be interesting to see how much the FL offer affects him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

presidenthog

coffeyville seems to be a pretty good juco. or for producing future razorbacks. it seems that we have gathered quite a few from there the last few years. i believe that is where robert thomas came from and possibly another whos name is alluding me atm

MH04

Quote from: presidenthog on October 29, 2014, 11:16:41 pm
coffeyville seems to be a pretty good juco. or for producing future razorbacks. it seems that we have gathered quite a few from there the last few years. i believe that is where robert thomas came from and possibly another whos name is alluding me atm

Derby and Spaight

ArKan5a5 KiD

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 29, 2014, 09:59:45 pm

Florida is a dumpster fire. Also from everything I know he's wanting to stay in Arkansas. Read somewhere that A-State was in his top 2 along with Arkansas. He would prefer to go to Arkansas and be a Hog but depending on what happens he may end up at A-State. The talk here in Camden is he's always been a Hog fan and dreamed of playing for the Hogs. The reason he didn't get much hype out of HS was due to grades and basically immaturity on his part and not carrying himself off the field the way he should.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 29, 2014, 09:59:45 pm

Considering the coaches probably won't be there, I would think not much.

Steef

Commit to Florida now...and play for my replacement.

jjdlc

Quote from: presidenthog on October 29, 2014, 11:16:41 pm

As far as JUCOs go, Coffeyville has usually been a pretty good one as far as I can remember.  Proximity wise, it's probably one of the closes ones to us as well.

RazorPiggie

CDBHawg

ArKan5a5 KiD

What I like about Reed is we would finally have someone that can truly stretch the field vertical. Those play action passes with Reed running a straight GO route would be awesome. The defense would have to account for his speed on the outside. We have truly missed that. We have no one who can take the top off a defense.

jm

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on October 30, 2014, 08:39:29 am
What I like about Reed is we would finally have someone that can truly stretch the field vertical. Those play action passes with Reed running a straight GO route would be awesome. The defense would have to account for his speed on the outside. We have truly missed that. We have no one who can take the top off a defense.

We have enough speed; we don't have the route tree to do it. Running guys up the sidelines does very little to make safetys and linebackers nervous. We haven't shown much up the hashmarks, we don't attack the middle, and we don't flood zones often. We don't force linebackers to turn their back to the line of scrimage, and we don't really do much to force defensive backs to make decisions.

1highhog

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on October 29, 2014, 03:35:56 pm
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Gators-offer-a-pair-of-JUCO-prospects-32449781

Sure hope this is a positive sign as far as his grades go. I watched Dominique since his HS days at CF. Would love to see the hometown kid finally end up at Arkansas.

Who from Florida?  Who's going to be their Coach next season?

JackJohnson

Quote from: jm on October 30, 2014, 09:55:13 am
We have enough speed; we don't have the route tree to do it. Running guys up the sidelines does very little to make safetys and linebackers nervous. We haven't shown much up the hashmarks, we don't attack the middle, and we don't flood zones often. We don't force linebackers to turn their back to the line of scrimage, and we don't really do much to force defensive backs to make decisions.

good post

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TX HOG

Being a good WR is mostly about running good routes. How many nfl WRs have decent speed, or after their prime still produce? Tons. It's more about good routes

PorkRinds

So your claim is that Chaney doesn't think we need to or see the need to beat the other teams' secondary?  And you're serious about that? 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: TX HOG on October 30, 2014, 10:21:59 am
Being a good WR is mostly about running good routes. How many nfl WRs have decent speed, or after their prime still produce? Tons. It's more about good routes

Chris Carter

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

Really, really want this kid to end up playing WR for us next season.

Boston RedHogs

I agree about running good routes, but the one aspect I think often gets overlooked is the ability to get separation.  That may fall under "running good routes", but at the end of the day if the WR can't get separation from the DB, he can run precise routes all day long and it won't matter.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Wildhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 30, 2014, 11:06:47 am
Jim Chaney knows passing routes. We need better players IMO

http://www.downthedrive.com/2013/3/25/4143204/the-bearcats-passing-game-will-be-rooted-in-joe-tillers-purdue-offense

He does when he mixes it up.  We absolutely, 1000% HAVE to work the middle of the field in the passing game.  If we don't, we are atrocious.  All those sideline routes with nothing else have really hurt us this year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

1highhog

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 30, 2014, 10:56:56 am

I agree about running good routes, but the one aspect I think often gets overlooked is the ability to get separation.  That may fall under "running good routes", but at the end of the day if the WR can't get separation from the DB, he can run precise routes all day long and it won't matter.

The best example before even Chris Carter would be Jerry Rice.  Rice never was a speedster, but he knew how to get open and shake a defender, looking as though he had left his defender in the dust.  When Jerry was looked at by the San Fran, he had ran the 40 in a pedistrain 4.59, which is not bad, but it was his speed off the blocks and his ability to cut and hit top speed quickly that separated him from CB's chasing him.  Well into his career, he was running into the low 4.7's, but he still never lost the ability to cut and hit top speed quickly when those chasing would slow and have to pick back up. 

Another example of a slow receiver was part of the big 3 of Dallas, Irvin was slow as receivers go, but created his own separation because he was a big physical receiver, served him well despite not having speed throughout his career.  But he was also an excellent route runner.

Country Stylz

TX HOG

A lot of really really good WRs  in the nfl do not have sub 4.4 speed. There are also a a lot of sub 4.4 guys that don't run good routes and they're jobless. If you run good routes, you get separation.

Wildhog

Quote from: Country Stylz on October 30, 2014, 11:39:37 am
We need Reed you guys.

I wasn't really wanting another WR, but it's beginning to look like he's just too talented to pass up.

Maybe Pettway can play safety. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

And having really good hands.  Don't forget the hands.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hillbilly

Lol. Who do you coach for? You are ignorant if you think you know more about what we need to do to have success on offense than Chaney. Why don't you go out and get your coaching license and give it a go?

Razorbax

October 30, 2014, 12:54:15 pm #35 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:53:43 pm by Razorbax

Steve Largent, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin and Fred Biletnikoff. agrees

Razorbax

whosiskid

You youngsters may not remember this guy, but maybe the greatest ex-Razorback to play professional football was this guy named Lance Alworth (yes I'm being facetious - I'd be most Razorback fans under the age of 20 know about Alworth).

Alworth, perhaps because he came to WR so late (he was a running back at Arkansas and should have won the Heisman, but at the time many in the South were fighting passionately for the preservation of Jim Crow laws and Orville Faubus, the governor at the  time who played the race card skillfully in election after election to stay in office far longer than he had any right to, just may have cost Lance the Heisman - my favorite line ever about Alworth was from Frank Broyles, who called him an "Even or Leavin'" back; if he was even with you, he was leaving you). Alworth was the first superstar player in the AFL, but he couldn't run a route to save his life. What Alworth did have, however, was a great connection with his QB, John Hadl, who had and incredible arm. Great passers come in two broad varieties: throw to spot QBs and throw to receivers varieties. Great QB-WR combos depended on that dual compatibility. Johnny Unitas was a throw to the spot QB and Raymond Berry the ultimate get-to-the-spot WR. Alworth couldn't run a route and therefore couldn't get to a spot, but what he could do was get open, often well behind the other team's defense. Their best year together was 1965, when Alworth got over 1600 yards receiving on only 69 receptions for a WHOPPIN' 23.2 yard per reception average.

Alworth got traded to Dallas where he was paired with QB Roger Staubach, a pure throw to spot QB. I remember a Dallas game where Alworth was 15 yards behind everyone on the other team's defense.  But the spots were all covered, so Staubach threw the ball away out of bounds.

My point is that a receiver's success in later years can depend on a lot of things and not just on route running ability. He didn't have the speed when at Dallas of Bob Hayes (who probably was the fastest human being in the history of the planet and definitely was the fastest football player ever), but he still had both speed and elusiveness. But he and Staubach were a terrible combo. I wish Alworth had been traded to the Jets. Joe Namath would have been perfect for him.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

whosiskid

Meant to add that Alworth played before the Era of the WR. Running Backs still ruled in the sixties, but Alworth still had some monster games. For 50 years he held the record for the most 200 yard games until Calvin Johnson finally tied him. Johnson isn't as fast as Alworth was, but he very nearly was, and is 5 inches taller and outweighs him by nearly 50 pounds. Alworth was better running after the catch, but Johnson is a better possession receiver.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Wildhog

Quote from: hillbilly on October 30, 2014, 12:37:17 pm
Lol. Who do you coach for? You are ignorant if you think you know more about what we need to do to have success on offense than Chaney. Why don't you go out and get your coaching license and give it a go?

That's an oldie but a goodie.  Posts like this were very popular during the Nutt years before people saw the light.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Wildhog on October 30, 2014, 11:16:51 am
He does when he mixes it up.  We absolutely, 1000% HAVE to work the middle of the field in the passing game.  If we don't, we are atrocious.  All those sideline routes with nothing else have really hurt us this year.

Agree.  Derby and Henry over the middle, by all accounts, should be used 40 plays a game.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Wildhog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 30, 2014, 01:28:48 pm
Agree.  Derby and Henry over the middle, by all accounts, should be used 40 plays a game.

But God forbid you point it out.  Some take it as a personal affront. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on October 30, 2014, 05:50:59 am
Florida is a dumpster fire. Also from everything I know he's wanting to stay in Arkansas. Read somewhere that A-State was in his top 2 along with Arkansas. He would prefer to go to Arkansas and be a Hog but depending on what happens he may end up at A-State. The talk here in Camden is he's always been a Hog fan and dreamed of playing for the Hogs. The reason he didn't get much hype out of HS was due to grades and basically immaturity on his part and not carrying himself off the field the way he should.

Yea, I forgot he's from AR. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WorfHog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 30, 2014, 01:29:31 pm
But God forbid you point it out.  Some take it as a personal affront.

The coaches get paid to make those decisions, your a idiot.

-Common Hogville Responce

mhuff

jm

Quote from: hillbilly on October 30, 2014, 12:37:17 pm

It appears that you believe my opinion is incorrect.

RunHogruN

I agree with this post 100%. I have notice this in the game. We seldom use the middle of the field. You would think with the caliber of TEs we have that the middle would be a viable place to throw to, but we haven't done much in the middle at all this season.  When you get to turn those LBs and start covering TEs or WRs in the middle you can start carving them up in the run play. The LBs would have to make quick decisions either to cover a TE running a route or stay and plug a run gap. 

The offense needs more designed passing plays that forces the D to account for the WR's down the middle.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)