Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest Razorback team?

Started by DLUXHOG, October 29, 2014, 01:14:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the greater Razorback football team?

1964 ?
61 (50.4%)
1969 ?
16 (13.2%)
1977 (with Ron Calcagni, Dan Hampton, Dennis Winston, etc....) ?
44 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Voting closed: November 28, 2014, 12:14:42 pm

DLUXHOG

October 29, 2014, 01:14:42 pm Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:33:43 pm by DLUXHOG
1977 get's my vote.    They made Oklahoma absolutely look like a high school team in the Orange Bowl.... and that was with using their backup RB - Roland Sales (who btw, set an Orange Bowl rushing record that stood for something like 30 years....)

FYI... this is a nice website to review...  http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Orange_1978.htm
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

pigroots

1964 won a national championship. No other team can make that claim. Until they can they are the best

DLUXHOG

Quote from: pigroots on October 29, 2014, 01:26:57 pm
1964 won a national championship. No other team can make that claim. Until they can they are the best

Nice response, but the 78 team went 11-1, had the second of only two Razorback's that are in NFL Hall of Fame (Dan Hampton) and they absolutely skewered 2nd Ranked OU....

Torqued pork

Quote from: pigroots on October 29, 2014, 01:26:57 pm
And they beat #1 Texas in Austin on their way to the longest winning streak in school history.

14erHog

My 2010 Wii team.   Won NC and outscored the other teams 901 to 13.
We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer.
Zakk Wylde

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

regi

88 team deserves some consideration also. (Atwater, Martin, Foster) Dropped interception from Atwater vs Miami from going 11-0 and really shaking up NC picture that year. Lost that game and moved up 3 spots in AP poll

redeye

I guess it depends on what you mean by "greatest".  So much changed in the few years between these teams.

If you mean who accomplished the most, then it's obviously the '64 team.  They're the only one of the three that can say they were the greatest of their time.  But if they could have played the '77 team, I suspect the latter would have won.  I'm too young to have ever seen the '64 team play or I might not say that, though.

Hollywood_HOGan45

My personal fav is the 2010 team.

Mose balanced/ dynamic offense we've ever had. Won big road games at Miss state and Carolina. Also Beat up on Houston Nutt and LSU to get into our first BCS bowl game.

Came within an eyelash in two HUGE games (Bama, Ohio State).

ballz2thewall

64-65.  comparatively no razorback team comes close to how loaded the hogs were then. 

not even a close second.  the 77/8 team was a great team as was the 69 team. but at no time have we been loaded like 64/5.  EVERY position was fielded by a cowboy.
The rest of the frog.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 29, 2014, 01:32:45 pm
Nice response, but the 78 team went 11-1, had the second of only two Razorback's that are in NFL Hall of Fame (Dan Hampton) and they absolutely skewered 2nd Ranked OU....

64 team went undefeated, with a ROAD victory over #1 Texas. That Texas team went on to beat #1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

77 team is a favorite of mine, but lost at home to Texas.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

EXSPAHOG

The shutouts are why I think 64 was the best - AND they closed out the deal too - if 69 ( & 70) had won the 3 games on a row they would have been on the short list of anybody's greatest college teams EVER , but sadly they didn't

hoggusamoungus

Dennis Winston was not on the 1977 team.

Cinco de Hogo

The 2007 team could have been in the mix as well if Anderson and Houston had stayed for their senior year and HDN had been the man he should have been towards Malzahn and the Springdsle boys.

Man did that get screwed up, could have been four first round draft picks on that team.

77 team was the best Arkansas Razorback team ever though. 

Dumb ole famrboy

Although the 1964 Team won a NC - that was during an era when college football was still basically segregated. I think the fully intergrated teams of 1977 and 1988 were definitely better.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on October 29, 2014, 02:36:00 pm
Although the 1964 Team won a NC - that was during an era when college football was still basically segregated. I think the fully intergrated teams of 1977 and 1988 were definitely better.
Point taken. However, the '64 team met every challenge put before it. No other Hog team can say that.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 29, 2014, 02:10:42 pm
My personal fav is the 2010 team.

Mose balanced/ dynamic offense we've ever had. Won big road games at Miss state and Carolina. Also Beat up on Houston Nutt and LSU to get into our first BCS bowl game.

Came within an eyelash in two HUGE games (Bama, Ohio State).

A three-loss team, with one of those losses by 22, is our best ever?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on October 29, 2014, 03:02:06 pm
A three-loss team, with one of those losses by 22, is our best ever?

Probably not the best ever. Wasnt old enough to have seen the 60s and the 77 team. (Born in 82).
Have been watching since 92 and the best team in the SEC era in my opinion was that 2010 team.  The margin of defeat in the Auburn game happened because of a couple bad breaks from Penn Wagers' crew. It was a great game about halfway through the 4th Quarter. We had converted a 3rd and 1 on a drive while we were down by one point but Broderick Green somehow fumbled the ball while sitting on the ground.

Probably not the best UA team of all time but it is the best one I have seen.

yraciv

Just to point out the obvious, remind me how many African American's were on the 64 team?  Remind me what percentage of college football players are African American's these days? Point made. Give me 2010. Three losses to top 10 teams, only not tight one was on the road against arguably the best college QB of my generation.  Should have been Sugar Bowl Chaps due to the whole Tattoo Gate.  That team showed me everything we had, and that was evident when they didn't lay down and came back to almost beat Ohio State.

Certainly 64 is the only one can call themselves national champions, but there were other teams with more talent. It's a different game these days.

eusebius

These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

skbhog

eusebius

Quote from: yraciv on October 29, 2014, 03:31:45 pm
Just to point out the obvious, remind me how many African American's were on the 64 team?  Remind me what percentage of college football players are African American's these days? Point made. Give me 2010. Three losses to top 10 teams, only not tight one was on the road against arguably the best college QB of my generation.  Should have been Sugar Bowl Chaps due to the whole Tattoo Gate.  That team showed me everything we had, and that was evident when they didn't lay down and came back to almost beat Ohio State.

Certainly 64 is the only one can call themselves national champions, but there were other teams with more talent. It's a different game these days.

There's validity to the era argument. I think the 77 team had the players to challenge the Petrino teams' high powered offenses. It is a different offensive era now, but it was different defensive era then, and the defense could be much more physical with receivers and QB's. The 1977 team was the top scoring defense in the nation only surrendering 8.4 ppg, while scoring 32.4 per game.

I voted for the 64 team, because of the undefeated season and the 21-1 record over two seasons. But, I think the 77 team would probably win head to head. It's kind of the Dolphins v Bears argument. The 72 Dolphins went undefeated, but I think the 85 Bears or for that matter the '84 49ers would win head to head.     
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

thirrdegreetusker

Well, I think there is a difference between "Who would win?", and "Greatest". Teams and players can only do what they can do. They can only play games against the teams on the schedule. They can only be truly compared to teams in their eras. 

If cyborgs, zombies, or genetically-altered gorilla-men are allowed to play in the future, does that diminish the greatness of an undefeated team today?

Besides, today players have to have oxygen and electrolyes if the temperature gets above 79. Loyd Phillips went four years without a sip of water; subsisted entirely on Falstaff beer.

rickm1976

The 77 team probably had more future NFL talent, but the 64 team went undefeated against similar competition, and flat shut out everyone the last half of the season.  I have to go with 64.

rickm1976

You're right, but most of us are looking at it from an apples to apples, all things being equal standpoint.  Sure, head to head as-is, the 2010 team would probably kill the others.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 29, 2014, 01:32:45 pm
No doubt a great team; however, as was mentioned earlier the '64 team won the NC AND helped set the 22 game winning streak that was carried on by the '65 team until they managed to lose to LSU in the '66 Cotton Bowl. IF wins and championships are one's ultimate test or measure of the quality of a team IMO there's totally no contest.

Atlhogfan1

It is why you pretty much have to do this by era or take into consideration the competition in the era and how the teams measured up for that era.

64, 65, 69, 77, 88, 10 with 98 and 06 deserving a mention.  The 88 team did come close to finishing the regular season unbeaten but UCLA dominated our offense to record breaking levels. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

vandybuff

since I was only ten years old in '64, it was a bit before I followed football .... but the AP said you were undefeated in 1964 and a close second to Alabama.  So '64 gets my vote.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Sweet Feet

The key boundaries here is success vs talent. 64 had the best success but 77 was more talented and could win head up

DLUXHOG

October 29, 2014, 06:58:21 pm #29 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:18:37 pm by DLUXHOG
Don't be daft....  The point I'm trying to make, is, that since 64', Arkansas has had many great teams (many more than are in the poll list).   The 77' team finished 11-1 after stomping the daylight out of #2 ranked OU, and that was a tie record with the eventual NC as well as 4 other teams.. 64' team won one of the NC's that year (we all know the spastic story about Ala), and 69' also came darn close...  Stand tall, be proud... of our Razorbacks over the past 50 years....

yraciv

The question was greatest and to me that means heads up. There is no argument 64 is the best if we're talking most accomplished. Can't be an argument for any of our other teams because they weren't national champions.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: yraciv on October 29, 2014, 07:04:06 pm
The question was greatest and to me that means heads up. There is no argument 64 is the best if we're talking most accomplished. Can't be an argument for any of our other teams because they weren't national champions.

Well.... shoot... I agree but even the 64' NC is a teensy bit muddy... (ie.. I think we're outright champs, but another NC was given to Ala before our bowl win)   BUT, our  undisputed NC day will come soon (sooner than any of you would think)....

EastexHawg

The 1964-66 teams went 29-3, won one national championship, and almost won another.  They went 3-0 against Texas, but Texas was a 6-4 team in two of those years.  The other signature win was of course against Nebraska to clinch the national title.

The 1968-70 teams went 28-5, but my unsubstantiated opinion is that they played better competition.  Texas was the premier program in America during that stretch, winning 30 straight games and two national championships. Our other two losses were to Archie Manning and Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl and a close one against Heisman winner Jim Plunkett and his Rose Bowl champion Stanford team.  The signature win was against undefeated SEC champ Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, but SMU was a good team with an outstanding QB (Chuck Hixson, who led the nation in passing) when we beat them in 1968.  They beat Oklahoma in their bowl game that year.

The 1964 team led the nation in scoring defense, but so did the '69 squad.  The 1965 team was our most explosive offensive team of all time until the 1970 team broke their records. 

For me it's virtually a tossup between those two sets of teams.  I would actually rate the 68-70 teams slightly higher...very slightly.

rlamb

There are 2 other Razorback teams that were near Great in the 10-1 Sugar Bowl 1968 Champs. We beat undefeated (8-0-2) Georgia in the Sugar 16-2. I believe they were ranked No. # 2 in one Poll and # 3 in the other. We were about 6th or 8th ging into the Bowl. The eventual # 1 was USC and OJ I think? This teams success led to the scheduling of the Big Shootout in 69.

The 1975 and Cotton Bowl Champs were pretty dang salty also with the 2 offensive guards being 10+ years Pros and also having Dan Hampton, Eckwood, Cowins, Scott Bull and other future NFL'ers like Brison Manor. I think this team could have won a National Title is there had been a playoff system back then. These guys beat SEC Champ Georgia 31-10  in the Cotton and beat then # 2 A&M the last game of the season 31-6.

TNRazorbacker

I bet at least half the board weren't alive to see any of these teams play.

Been a looong time since the Hogs were really relevant.

WarPig88

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 29, 2014, 02:54:33 pm
Point taken. However, the '64 team met every challenge put before it. No other Hog team can say that.

He made a very good point.

Teams out east were having to play against the likes of Jim Brown at Syracuse. The playing field was far from level in those days.

ghostzapper

77 Team was the best on talent, and was probably coached by the greatest set of coaches we will ever have at Arkansas. 

1highhog

I'd go with the 65 team, one of the best teams ever.  In 64 Broyles didn't think we were quite there yet but we went ahead and won the National Championship.  Then in 65 the team was even better, but got tripped up in the final game, the Bowl game against an inferior opponent that shouldn't have even been in the Bowl with us, LSU.  Our Hogs came out flat and underperformed and got beat, losing the chance at back to back Titles.

DoctorSusscrofa

The 1964 team had a lot of shutouts. Not just wins. Shutouts. Four full quarters of you don't make a single point.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

How many African Americans played for any team in 1964? It was a different game for every team. Not just Arkansas. And there are many great athletes of all races. The fact we don't have any Samoans now (or on the '77 team) despite the fine Samoans that have played over the years is just as irrelevant as the absence of African Americans.  They have contributed to college football greatly. But great teams are great teams.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

PORKULATOR

A little to PC there DrSusscrofa. No black man I know expects you to call him African-American. Relax dude
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

dmaxfan

My favorite would be the 2010 team but my favorite team with heart is this years team. Every game, other than Georgia, was nothing but heart of the whole team. To play the way they've played with the talent they have is amazing.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.