Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One open tryout that is on going.....

Started by ricepig, October 29, 2014, 11:26:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: bigred223 on October 29, 2014, 03:03:48 pm
From what I understand Jojo was redshirted for two reasons. 1. He was banged up at the beginning of the season, and 2. he needs some time in the weight room to get more physical. I would expect he understands the offense as well as Cornelius, Edwards and Hollister.

I'd be surprised if his redshirt gets yanked, but I don't think BB will do it unless he thinks it is best for the team. I also don't think he would yank the shirt if Jojo conveys that he wishes to keep it. If Jojo wants to play now, and BB thinks he can help us win ball games, then I'm all for it.

That being said, I highly doubt we see Jojo back there. I don't know who all is trying out, but I think our best option would be someone like Damon Mitchell. In fact, that's who I'd really like to see get a crack at it. He has really impressed me with his running ability in the limited action he's seen. He's big and physical and very fast. Assuming he has the instincts and ability to catch the ball consistently (obviously), he would be a great choice.

You do remember the spring game with Duwop trying to field punts, it was feast or famine.

code red

Game week 10 nationally and we are looking for a punt returner...hmmm.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 03:09:20 pm
He looks at least as ready as Tevin Mitchel was his first year... I would imagine he's been working out since this pic.

Well, I bet they had Tevin for an extra year, in fact when he was injured at the beginning of the year he went to Bielema and suggested they redshirt him.

scorekeeper

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 29, 2014, 02:28:36 pm
I assure you they have a method for teaching these guys the playbook.  I'd just let them use their method and not think twice about it.  They know what they're doing.
They have my support they are paid to do the job. Just creating dialogue. I hope we aren't sacrificing wins just for the sake of bragging rights for playbook complexity.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 03:18:20 pm
Tevin played as a true freshman.

If Robinson requested a redshirt then it's curious that he's taking reps at PR, if in fact that's what is really happening.

No, Tevin requested the redshirt earlier this year. I'm well aware that Tevin played as a freshman, thus the wish he had another year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 29, 2014, 11:36:18 am
if JO JO  can help us get a bowl then burn his R/S . those extra practices are worth it . the whole team will benefit from them .
but only if he is well about the rest.  all things being even, keep the RS on
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 29, 2014, 02:16:13 pm
MSU has 8 redshirt seniors and 4 redshirt juniors starting for them. Getting an extra year out of your talent is one way to combat being behind in recruiting.

Dak Prescott redshirted his freshman season, you really believe he will be back next year?LOL

dacskc

So do we know who all nine players trying out are? I would bet that the person who wins the job is going to be someone that he didn't specifically mention.

Biggus Piggus

The odds of this going well are not high.
[CENSORED]!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 29, 2014, 10:24:01 pm
The odds of this going well are not high.

I think I'd rather just have our guys do what they did the first few games when we were at least competitive.  RUN AWAY from the ball like it's on fire, and just hope it doesn't bounce toward our side of the field and give up too many yards.  I'm far from convinced we have anyone that can field a punt, which is remarkable in some respects.  I started off the year yelling when we never made an attempt to catch it, but now I know why. 

I remember a few teams under HDN that had that issue.  Maybe it's just an Arkansas thing? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

jkstock04

Our special teams this year have been an absolute disaster. One could easily point a finger at special teams for a couple of our losses.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Oklahawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 29, 2014, 11:46:22 am
I seriously believe it is harder than A&M's or AU's or Baylor's or Oregon's............ 

Disclaimer:  This isn't a criticism or endorsement of these offenses. 

The Art Briles' offense at Houston could be drawn on a single sheet of paper. One side only. 12 plays, several variations of each and *voila* you have a playbook. I suspect that Chaney's is a bit thicker. (Given that we have seen about 12 different blocking schemes in the tight trips bunch power set...yeah, it is thicker.)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

I am not apologizing for what is happening.

I am reminding that you can't just trot someone out there and turn them into a punt returner. The following lines seem logical but don't work out so well:

"He has great hands"

"He catches the ball well in traffic"

"He is a playmaker who needs to touch the ball for us to win"

"His HS film looks fantastic - he had several huge PR in HS"

===

I finished fall league softball recently. In the OF during the last game the fellow next to me hauled in a towering flyball and almost fell over catching it, despite not having to move. He was shaking! I ask if he was okay and he said, "oh, yeah, I just had enough time to think of every bone-headed move I could make waiting on the ball to come down." We agreed: better to have to make a snap decision and react to a missile hit at your face.

Sounds a lot like fielding a punt. Plenty of time to think about it. Plenty of time to get busy feet or to nervously steal a glance at the oncoming traffic. Never mind if the ball is kicked away from you or the anticipated return set-up and you have to move quickly to go field the ball. Or, think about how the move to field the ball affects where you return it. Far move vexing than a kickoff return.

No apologies intended for the lack of an option. But, if JoJo is the best option and he was planning to RS then it doesn't surprise me that we've struggled. Lots of beat-up players on coverage teams, too, affecting how we cover kicks (ie, both Ellis and Toliver were on the coverage teams...at one point).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DOGALUM

Unless someone is just a natural.....the offseason is the time to work on this.   

It is my opinion that if our punt return unit is not currently a weapon (and it isn't), then the appropriate course of action is to make sure that it doesn't become (or continue to be) a liability.  Work on making it a weapon in the off season....not during the week leading up to a road game against #1. 

My guess is that's what's going on.  Especially if Emrich is in the mix.  Rossi Moreale part 2.   I'm fine with that.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

3kgthog

Why wasn't this tryout figured out before the season started?

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

Iwastherein1969

what a strange change in attitude by many in this thread....the one's (and you know who you are) who will go to hell and back if you criticize anything that CBB or the Hogs do citing, and I've heard this what seems like a thousand times on Hogville, they say, "if you can do better, why don't you sign on with the UA and coach the Hogs since you seem to know what is better for the Hogs than do the coaches".....but yet when the possibility of Jo Jo Robinson burning his redshirt because he's the most qualified and the coach apparently believes that Jo Jo gives the team the best chance to do well in the kicking game, well, the sunshine pumpers suddenly hit turbulence in the form of taking off the red-shirt of a kid who may provide the difference in us making a bowl or not making a bowl...funny how people change their minds when it suits them but will slam others for stating similar ideas of which they happen to disagree....kno wah i'm sayin ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Peter Porker

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 29, 2014, 11:50:06 pm

Because DJ Dean had been doing a decent job.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 29, 2014, 11:50:06 pm

Then you wouldn't have been able to write your pithy remark.

Wildhog

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 29, 2014, 09:39:54 pm
Dak Prescott redshirted his freshman season, you really believe he will be back next year?LOL

Never said that, but thanks for missing the point entirely.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977